2021 Cleveland Browns Thread

When it’s all said and done, I believe Rodgers will be QB in GB again this season. Denver seems like the only realistic alternative and I don’t believe the Packers really want to trade him.
No kidding, they don't want to trade the MVP? Are you sure? ;)
But if Rodgers says "trade me or I'll just retire", they have no choice really.

As for the stupid ESPN suggestion that the Browns trade Baker for Rodgers, I'll pass. This team has all the pieces, plus good chemistry, and Baker is at the center of it. He has his heart invested in the Browns, it is obvious, and his improvement last year might be the tip of the iceberg. No way Berry rips the team apart to get Rodgers. Just more stupid ESPN click-bait trash.

There are so many talking heads at places like ESPN and Fox Sports fighting for attention that will throw out something just to get mentions. Unless it is coming from someone like Schefter or Glazer I don't pay much attention to it.

The Browns are much like the Bengals in that they have a short window to win big before they fall back into the abyss. If they want to win a championship this might be their best bet, they will never win a super bowl with the midget at qb

The Browns are much like the Bengals in that they have a short window to win big before they fall back into the abyss. If they want to win a championship this might be their best bet, they will never win a super bowl with the midget at qb
The Browns window doesn’t have to be short. With organizational stability, smart drafting and player development, a team can stay in contention for decades. The Steelers and Ravens exemplify those things.

If you are strictly comparing Baker to Rodgers in who is the likelier QB to produce a SB win now, I would agree it’s Rodgers. That being said, Rodgers has won a lone SB in all those years in GB, so he’s far from a sure thing.

Heck, for a decade in the middle of the Marvin Lewis era the Bengals window of contention was open. They just had the misfortune of those ten years coinciding with very strong time periods for the Steelers, Ravens and Patriots.

Last edited:
The Browns window doesn’t have to be short. With organizational stability, smart drafting and player development, a team can stay in contention for decades. The Steelers and Ravens exemplify those things.

If you are strictly comparing Baker to Rodgers in who is the likelier QB to produce a SB win now, I would agree it’s Rodgers. That being said, Rodgers has won a lone SB in all those years in GB, so he’s far from a sure thing.

Heck, for a decade in the middle of the Marvin Lewis era the Bengals window of contention was open. They just had the misfortune of those ten years coinciding with very strong time periods for the Steelers, Ravens and Patriots.
It wasn't open for ten years ?

It wasn't open for ten years ?
I started with the 2005 season and gave them 11 seasons, actually. A couple clunkers in there, but mostly good seasons. The real period of contention was 2009 to 2015. Marvin couldn't win a playoff game, though.

I started with the 2005 season and gave them 11 seasons, actually. A couple clunkers in there, but mostly good seasons. The real period of contention was 2009 to 2015. Marvin couldn't win a playoff game, though.
So not actually in contention to win a championship if you cant win a single playoff game

So not actually in contention to win a championship if you cant win a single playoff game
True, but they had a chance to win playoff games and advance. They just didn't. They may not have been the strongest contender between 2009 and 2015, but they were in the playoffs all but one year. That's contending, at least.

True, but they had a chance to win playoff games and advance. They just didn't. They may not have been the strongest contender between 2009 and 2015, but they were in the playoffs all but one year. That's contending, at least.
That’s a chance to contend, which they didn’t

I was not in favor of drafting him, but he played well in the playoff win over the Steelers and certainly was not the reason they lost to KC. This year is a defining season for him, IMO.
Good luck with that

Most of the criticism of Mayfield stems from the disastrous second season under the disastrous guidance of Freddie" Let's call plays we haven't practiced, game plan be damned" Kitchens. No player should be held responsible for not doing well during the tenure of that imbecile.

I was not in favor of drafting him, but he played well in the playoff win over the Steelers and certainly was not the reason they lost to KC. This year is a defining season for him, IMO.
I expect more consistency from Baker this year, since he is in the same system two years in a row for the first time.

You cannot have a logical debate with Zeeyore. Nice try though. There are glass half-full people, and glass half-empty people. Then there is Zeeyore. He is "the glass is half empty, and it has a crack in it which is leaking, and it is probably poison liquid anyway." Most negative person I've ever encountered.

Most of us reasonable Browns fans know that Baker is not elite. He was not good his second year with Freddie, but his improvement the back half of last season was remarkable, and he has a chance to become a top 10 QB in the NFL if he plays the whole season like he played the last 8 games last year. In fact, he was 8th in the NFL in QBR the second half of the season.

The Browns open up at Kansas City at 4:25. With a brand new defense, the Browns have a real challenge. I wish they would have played them later in the year.

Article on strength of schedule and prediction:

The Browns open up at Kansas City at 4:25. With a brand new defense, the Browns have a real challenge. I wish they would have played them later in the year.

Article on strength of schedule and prediction:

I agree - this is a bit of a setup job by the NFL. I feel like this team will take a few weeks to get all the new pieces on defense to gel. On the bright side, since we have maybe a 80% chance of being 0-1, it will keep the players egos in check and also give them something to work towards and avenge that loss come playoff time.

I agree - this is a bit of a setup job by the NFL. I feel like this team will take a few weeks to get all the new pieces on defense to gel. On the bright side, since we have maybe a 80% chance of being 0-1, it will keep the players egos in check and also give them something to work towards and avenge that loss come playoff time.
On the other hand, a Browns win will send the fandom into a frenzy the likes of which may eclipse anything we ever saw in the past as they head into their home opener.

Chiefs are breaking in some key pieces on the OL and crazy things usually happen week 1. The schedule is what it is and I would rather have the tougher games early to mid season than later when you are jockeying for home playoff games or trying to get key players healthy.

Add last year's opening fiasco to the list and I'm not as enthusiastic about their chances, but I hope they prove me wrong. As far as the new Chiefs on the o line, the replacements are experienced, whereas many of the Browns on defense are new to the team ( or the NFL), or returning from injury. With no OTAs, it will be very tough to gel as quickly.

Add last year's opening fiasco to the list and I'm not as enthusiastic about their chances, but I hope they prove me wrong. As far as the new Chiefs on the o line, the replacements are experienced, whereas many of the Browns on defense are new to the team ( or the NFL), or returning from injury. With no OTAs, it will be very tough to gel as quickly.
I'll still take this upcoming defense in game one over the D that lined up in the playoff game

Bit of a quirk with the Browns playing the Ravens back to back, with the bye week in between. (The Ravens play that week.)

qvamtwqcgxzlcagwrpgd.jpg