2021-2022 General Discussion

Omar

Figured it was a good idea to start a General Thread for this season.

I know Basketball before January barely counts, but I liked what I saw from Duke and Kansas. As a Duke fan, they look infinitely better defensively compared to last year. I was very surprised how good Trevor Keels was, especially with Banchero and Wendell Moore having cramping problems.

My early FF

UCLA
Duke
Purdue
Alabama

This Duke team is better than the Zion team and Banchero is a better player than Williamson was. Not the freak athletically, but better all around player.

I think Duke and UK are both going to be very good teams. It was weird seeing UK not relying on freshman to carry the load. Keels was impressive. Duke was able to get shots to fall, especially around the rim, which was the difference. Tshwiebe for UK is a monster and Wheeler is a nice add.

I don't think Duke had much depth which could be an issue, but maybe K already has a rotation in mind and that's what he went with. Wendell Moore has really improved as has the big man Williams.

Both teams look to be much improved from last year.

FWIW: discussions last year about differences between D1 and D2 players (Akron - Shawnee threads) will make following Mangas an interesting case. Went 8-11, 3-6, 2-3 against BG in exhibition OT loss.

The Fox scorebar graphic is just obscenely big. It’s annoying. I don’t like to be annoyed.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Your ad here!

FWIW: discussions last year about differences between D1 and D2 players (Akron - Shawnee threads) will make following Mangas an interesting case. Went 8-11, 3-6, 2-3 against BG in exhibition OT loss.
Ohio picked up a 5th year transfer from Findlay. He’s the backup PG and has gotten good minutes in first two games. 100% belongs on the court at D-1 level.

He is 5-11 and a good athlete. If he was a couple inches taller and/or a freak athlete he is likely in D-1 out of HS.

Solid win for Xavier, although it’s looking more and more like OSU was pretty overrated to start the year.

You know what I love? I love having 7'4" people on the basketball team. We should have one every year. Oh wait, we do. lol. We should have some on the football team. But this you don't get

Zach Edey with the electrifying dunk to seal Purdue's win

Unless you dunked by reaching over the top of the backboard, when you're 7'4" you don't get "electrifying" dunk. His shoe came untied and he looked for a place to set the ball.

Might be between Miami and Xavier for state champ. Not looking like a particularly good year locally or am I missing something?

Last edited:
and here I was thinking that Holgren kid was just tall. I don't think Michigan's big is going to stop him. I don't think Purdue's two bigs are going to stop him. If I'm an opponent, I'm putting a vegan sandwhich under the basket and hope he gets distracted.

Michigan wins by 11 against Tarleton state university. How many of you knew there existed a Tarleton state university?

You give 17 million to a guy for a job that can be done by several dozens probably more people, this is what you get.

gonzaga v duke on friday is going to be a good game, hopefully a great game. college hoops needs more great teams like gonzaga willing to play other top teams on a regular basis. zags will play ucla and duke within 4 days. not bad from a group of 5 school/mid major.

jtk
()

Duke with the huge win in a great game. Should be #1 on Monday. That said, I’m still picking Purdue to win it all come March. The Duke team with Zion & Barret had a similar game vs Gonzaga early in their season and neither team even made it to the FF.

Ive said the same thing seemingly about 4-5 players every year. Those NBA teams drool over potential, though.
Yeah, but in this case it’s so obvious he needs time to build up his body. Even Durant wasn’t as frail as Holmgren in college.

Attachments

• 813B5A74-0156-4961-B3EA-05403F293C92.jpeg
    813B5A74-0156-4961-B3EA-05403F293C92.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 32
Heavy underdog Iowa coming in to play undefeated and #2 Purdue.

Anyone seeing anything omninous in this scenario?

Not to worry. Spoilermakers hold on to win.

Iowa had 25 ppg that never left the bench due to mild injury and a second leading scorer that sat quick with 2 fouls. They are going to be tough. A much better ball-club than Purdue. Purdue has some tough and unusual match-ups to be sure and some very skilled individuals but that's what they are, a team of individuals. Iowa was coaxing Purdue players whereever they wanted them to open up shooters for a pass. Again and again. Iowa is a team with set plays for team that adjust to the opponent. Purdue will play the same game everytime and hope they win more match-ups than they lose. Iowa creates the match-ups they desire.

The size and mobility of both teams was amazing. It was like looking at NBA teams. Going from watching high school where there is so much court space to watching teams with players this size is jarring. The arena was packed. Would have been great to attend. Tickets were running around $70. I can get one for Toledo - MSU for about $10. Tempting if I though my car could actually make it to Lansing.

Interesting. Got the same feeling about the Boilers when I watched them last week. Maybe Purdue will develop as a team as the season progresses.

Maybe, you can broker a deal with IB. He drives his Tesla and you pay for the tickets!

Interesting. Got the same feeling about the Boilers when I watched them last week. Maybe Purdue will develop as a team as the season progresses.

Maybe, you can broker a deal with IB. He drives his Tesla and you pay for the tickets!
He'd want me to feed him too. I'd be cheaper with an UBER.

LSU is underrated in the polls. I'd argue Wake Forest is a marquee win and they've got big mid-major wins over Belmont, Ohio and Louisiana Tech. Texas State, Georgia Tech ans Penn State all solid wins too.

Should be Top 10 at this point. Open SEC play with three ranked opponents (auburn. UK, Tennessee)

LSU is underrated in the polls. I'd argue Wake Forest is a marquee win and they've got big mid-major wins over Belmont, Ohio and Louisiana Tech. Texas State, Georgia Tech ans Penn State all solid wins too.

Should be Top 10 at this point. Open SEC play with three ranked opponents (auburn. UK, Tennessee)
Every single year, LSU has a boom-bust potential. They’re always talented enough to make a deep run, but in some years they don’t even make the Tournament.

Every single year, LSU has a boom-bust potential. They’re always talented enough to make a deep run, but in some years they don’t even make the Tournament.
Very tough D this year. With the SEC being as strong as it is, they'll likely have multiple highly seeded teams in March

There’s no dominant team this year. There’s a group of about 8-10 teams you could make a legit case for as a Title contender: Baylor, Gonzaga, UCLA Purdue, Duke, Nova, Kansas, UK, Auburn, and LSU.

Last edited: