2020 St. Ignatius Football

It was a bit funny at the football camp. He introduced himself to the kids ny saying "I'm Chuck Kyle, and I have been the coach here at St Ignatius for a few years"

He is clearly not chasing titles as he knows what's in his program.
I don't know the man, but have seen many Ignatius games over the years. But I will say based on watching him coach and reading various articles on the man: many ex-players LOVED playing for him and have the utmost respect for him and were quoted as saying that he helped them to develop into quality men. I'm guessing his intro at his football camp was more based on him being a HUMBLE man and not putting the spotlight on himself, instead of bragging about his accomplishments over the years as well as not what's coming up through his program.

Last edited:
You're talking about just one sport. For the past 5-10 years or so, Ignatius has averaged 2 state titles a year in other sports. Their soccer program is recognized as the top soccer program in the country. Hockey and rugby has has also added to Ignatius' accumulation of titles. Life is just not football.
My theory is all good things must come to an end. All sports dynasties end. I'm sure Ignatius will have competitive, good football teams generally and may on occasion compete for a state title. But, the dynasty of the 1990s is over. Just great memories now.

He IS truly that humble. Ask anyone who has coached against him.
Thats how I took it when I first read that post about how he introduces himself. That he's humble and not full of himself the way alot of coaches would be if they had his credentials and accomplishments

I just don't believe Ignatius will ever be a great program again. It happens.

Iggy will always be a "great program." By your standards, I can see why you worded it that way, but as an "outsider," here's my take...

As the old saying goes, "It takes a village to raise a child." Being a parochial school has many haters thinking, "Well, you have kids from here & there," but every title that Iggy has won, at least this century, was done with discipline. I once read that 100% of Iggy alumni (not just the athletes) go to college, which tells me that their "dsicipline" starts at home. When you have a great mind like Coach Kyle's, you'll always see the absolute best from their young men on the field.

There's been years that Iggy won it all when they probably didn't even have the best talent in Cleveland, let alone Ohio. As a 2002 alum of Warren G. Harding, I can tell you that on paper, we had no business losing to Iggy at the Rubber Bowl in 2001, but Coach Kyle had other plans. I've also seen the Wildcats blow teams out with just screens, draws, and the occasional "just because" deep ball. Iggy has always done the little things right, which always puts them in the position to do big things.

You're not going to see Ignatius have a Fostoria/Niles-like swan dive from grace, but there's schools out there that are trying to make their own name. Athletes are as giften now as they've ever been before in history and because of your reputation, you're gonna see the best of the best all years because those are the only teams willing to play you. Iggy will probably never see a run like they had in the 90's again, but there's no indication that they'll finish this decade without a state title. History has taught Ohioans that Iggy can have one of the worst seasons in their history one year, and respond with a big trophy the next. Whatever the case may be, take pride in the fact that your success has motivated the rest of the state, and even the majority of the country, to play catch up to standard of excellence that you've set over the years.

Kyle's pre-game talk before first state championship for team in 1988:

2002 ST. Ed's agme:
Since we're talking about dynasties and great programs, what's interesting about 1988 is Princeton was heavily favored to win as they were the big unbeatable machine in Ohio at that time. Ignatius was unknown in the playoffs but played them tough. Even if Princeton won, it was a game that could have gone either way. That was when the baton was passed to Ignatius. By 1994, Princeton completely fell off the radar and has never returned to their glory years. All dynasties burn out and pass the baton eventually. But they still have great memories.

Iggy will always be a "great program." By your standards, I can see why you worded it that way, but as an "outsider," here's my take...

As the old saying goes, "It takes a village to raise a child." Being a parochial school has many haters thinking, "Well, you have kids from here & there," but every title that Iggy has won, at least this century, was done with discipline. I once read that 100% of Iggy alumni (not just the athletes) go to college, which tells me that their "dsicipline" starts at home. When you have a great mind like Coach Kyle's, you'll always see the absolute best from their young men on the field.

There's been years that Iggy won it all when they probably didn't even have the best talent in Cleveland, let alone Ohio. As a 2002 alum of Warren G. Harding, I can tell you that on paper, we had no business losing to Iggy at the Rubber Bowl in 2001, but Coach Kyle had other plans. I've also seen the Wildcats blow teams out with just screens, draws, and the occasional "just because" deep ball. Iggy has always done the little things right, which always puts them in the position to do big things.

You're not going to see Ignatius have a Fostoria/Niles-like swan dive from grace, but there's schools out there that are trying to make their own name. Athletes are as giften now as they've ever been before in history and because of your reputation, you're gonna see the best of the best all years because those are the only teams willing to play you. Iggy will probably never see a run like they had in the 90's again, but there's no indication that they'll finish this decade without a state title. History has taught Ohioans that Iggy can have one of the worst seasons in their history one year, and respond with a big trophy the next. Whatever the case may be, take pride in the fact that your success has motivated the rest of the state, and even the majority of the country, to play catch up to standard of excellence that you've set over the years.
Excellent analysis Worm.

Bravo.

You're talking about just one sport. For the past 5-10 years or so, Ignatius has averaged 2 state titles a year in other sports. Their soccer program is recognized as the top soccer program in the country. Hockey and rugby has has also added to Ignatius' accumulation of titles. Life is just not football.
Regarding the popularity of the "futbol" program, just look at the Ignatius summer "futbol" camp photo and the # of kids, including the young ladies in the front row.

1625927531596.png

Last edited:
I recall vividly, 1989, sitting in Ohio Stadium as a Moeller underclassman, watching St. Ignatius win the state championship. They had my attention and respect then and still do now. I know St I is not producing teams like that now, but neither is Moe. Hell, took Moe from ‘97 to ‘12 just to return to the title game. From ‘85 to ‘12 to win another one. Football was king for both schools at different times. And although it saddens me to see football numbers down at both schools, I still enjoy seeing them play each other; it’s just different now. Anyone think St Ed or St X will catch Moe or St I in total number of state football championships?

A big thanks to the non-Ignatius fans for your recollections and kind words. At times, this thread almost reads like a eulogy. But, hey folks, as long as the kids still play with heart, we're not dead yet!

Which is why the word "still" is in the post. I have never seen an Ignatius team quit in any game - a testament to them and their coaches.
I'm not arguing about the testament.

I think the bar has been lowered significantly when Ignatius football is now the "try hard" program.

The success set the standard, not the alumni or the "fans".

I'm not arguing about the testament.

I think the bar has been lowered significantly when Ignatius football is now the "try hard" program.

The success set the standard, not the alumni or the "fans".
My theory is that dynasties appear to have gone down because other schools have come up and made it a more even playing field. Times were different in the 1990s. Back then, Ignatius had a system in place that most other schools did not have yet. But today, community youth programs everywhere have come up. And, kids everywhere tend to focus on 1 sport now and they play it year round. So, competition everywhere has become more fierce. And, surrounding schools have implemented programs and systems that have created more competitive teams which affects recruiting.

Will never forget the great games between St. Ignatius and Canton McKinley during the 1990s and into early 2000s. The two programs had titanic battles with each other. Actually, I saw a game in between the two schools way back in 1981, in Canton's Fawcett Stadium, before about 12,000 fans, with McKinley winning a close, low-scoring game. Great memories!

Will never forget the great games between St. Ignatius and Canton McKinley during the 1990s and into early 2000s. The two programs had titanic battles with each other. Actually, I saw a game in between the two schools way back in 1981, in Canton's Fawcett Stadium, before about 12,000 fans, with McKinley winning a close, low-scoring game. Great memories!
Agree. Those 90s games were outstanding.

SIBN has the condensed Ignatius - Ed's Regional Semi-final from 2011. John Fanta radio coverage with the tv video.

Really reminds one what an excellent broadcaster Fanta was. Tremendous on the call. I remember people hear giving him crap for having a relatively high-pitched voice; obviously sticking with it has worked out well for him.

Also, Eric Williams was an absolute gamer.

Eric Williams took more punishment than any other qb at Ignatius. Yet, he always got up and did something special the next play. I agree with your observation about John Fanta. The SIBN has produced many excellent student announcers, but John was special. It's the passion for his art and the way he brought his listeners along on the journey that make him memorable.

Really reminds one what an excellent broadcaster Fanta was. Tremendous on the call. I remember people hear giving him crap for having a relatively high-pitched voice; obviously sticking with it has worked out well for him.

Also, Eric Williams was an absolute gamer.
That was awesome. I loved watching the video. The days of full houses!!