16 team playoffs

Dumbest thing? No absolutely not. Once it was decided to go to 12, there was no point not to go to 16 since you are already adding an extra week. If you want to say that it should have stayed at 8 then thats fine but the train had already left the station on that and there was good reason to expand from 8 due to regions being split up geographically, causing imbalance where one region could have 8-2 or 9-1 teams miss while a different one has 5-5 teams making it.

This is not a good year to have it because of the minimum games threshold being lowered to five (5.) A team could get screwed on the 16/17 line based on drastic L2 divisor differences.

It's ridiculous in D1 where there are only 17 or 18 teams in a region. If you're essentially going to allow every team into the playoffs why not just do it. Why does a D7 team get penalized for having 25 or 26 teams in their region and not make the playoffs while D1 is basically putting everyone in. There was no reason it needed to be more than 8. Just another example of the OH$AA trying to grab as much money as they can to pay for the "cost of living" raises they gave everyone earlier this summer.

It's ridiculous in D1 where there are only 17 or 18 teams in a region. If you're essentially going to allow every team into the playoffs why not just do it.
Maybe the future will bring 64 teams to DI where teams will be allowed to choose to play up in this as an open division and everyone makes the playoffs. Could be an interesting format and we wouldn't have to worry about that one or two teams not making it.

16 team playoff is a joke no question about it. Football was the one sport that you had to really do something to advance to the postseason, now Almost everyone gets in. I do not like it at all it is all about the money. It used to mean a lot more….8 was a stretch for me.But it is a reflection of our society where everyone is a winner .You should have to have an outstanding season to be in playoff football… Look at Most of the one versus eight matchups and that will give us an idea of what we are in for… Occasionally they are competitive and once in a while an 8 Will win if it is a private school or they possibly had some injuries early in the season. I do not like it at all.

I want to add one more thing… I saw A team last year that was two and four and they had playoff shirts made up and I remember hearing their coach talk about how great it was to be in the playoffs. It honestly made me sick. They then proceeded to go out and get beat by around 50.

1. The expansion was all about money. So anyone with a "get off my lawn"/"participation trophy" argument against the expansion know that it's just about the money.
2. Historically, week 11 has had more than a few non-competitive 1-8 & 2-7 games. Now those games will be in week 12. If you are a fan of good games, there might be a few between seeds 6-12 that could be enjoyable.
3. I hated the change because the OHSAA didn't admit that it was all about the money and only the money (for crying out loud, they made schools charge for 1st rd baseball games last year!). As far are more kids getting the opportunity to play now that each week is a question mark, I have no problem with that.

I want to add one more thing… I saw A team last year that was two and four and they had playoff shirts made up and I remember hearing their coach talk about how great it was to be in the playoffs. It honestly made me sick. They then proceeded to go out and get beat by around 50.
What's that chant the student sections do during bball season when the refs make a bad call? You know, the one where the principal or AD always runs over to try and stop it? Bull-Spit? Something like that? ; )

I would think if you could get an honest answer, many if not most of the kids in the 13-16 range are ready to put away the football gear and break out the basketballs and wrestling mats.

Yes...go back to 4 divisions and top 4 in each. Let the kids have fun playing for conference crowns and beating their rivals.
That’s a terrible and dated system. Are you suggesting four per division or four per region? Would rather let everyone in rather than 16 or 64 total out of 700+ teams.

The kids do have fun making the playoffs. Eight per region (six divisions ideally) was really good. I think that was the right number, even if on occasion a really good team got left out.

I’m not a fan of the expansion to 16 (especially in Division I), but we saw it coming. I would like to see Ohio adopt a system that rewards harbins in a better way. Let the teams place themselves on the bracket based on their seeding, like other sports have for years.

It would be fine to have a more limited playoff if there were a better, more sophisticated system than the Harbins. The bracketing system used in basketball and other sports works much better. Too easy to game the Harbin rankings by playing cows, and it disincentivizes good competitive matchups because nobody wants to risk a loss. The state would be better off contracting CalPreps to make a ranking system than using the current Mickey Mouse computer points.

It seems silly that a bunch of adults, who would have loved to have played just one more game, are complaining that a few more kids will get to play one more game.... So much complaining about unimportant stuff. How many times did I see a great Garfield or Buchtel team sitting home at 6-4 watching teams they would have beat slide in ahead of them because Buchtel's none league included Stuebby, Harding, and Massillon all on the road.

Maybe the future will bring 64 teams to DI where teams will be allowed to choose to play up in this as an open division and everyone makes the playoffs. Could be an interesting format and we wouldn't have to worry about that one or two teams not making it.
Is there really any school in Ohio that will play up a division? I think the discouragement of playing in DII has waned for those that didn't think it was of equal value. It may have been discussed somewhere previously but I missed it. If there is anyone playing up, let me know so I can root for them. ?

Is there really any school in Ohio that will play up a division? I think the discouragement of playing in DII has waned for those that didn't think it was of equal value. It may have been discussed somewhere previously but I missed it. If there is anyone playing up, let me know so I can root for them. ?
In the humility of @thavoice , “Bishop Hartley added enrollment so they could escape Coldwater in Division V.”

I would rather see the 8 team playoff setup or let everyone in. Scheduling would be easier if all teams made playoffs but the value of each game during regular season would drop.