#1 Chardon Hilltoppers vs #2 Dover Tornadoes D3 Region 9 Regional Final

I believe #16 and #13 have both committed to YSU.

Both teams beat New Philly by similar scores. Both teams beat Kenston, but Chardon was up 42-0 at half while Dover was tied 7-7. Kenston did have Georgiou and Miller back for Dover. Chardon did not have to face those two, but Kenston did have Germano who was out vs Dover.

Dover is going to need turnovers which is possible with that defense. Enjoy a virtual title game a couple weeks early. Good luck to both teams!

2. From what I could tell, it looked like Dover had a minimum of 4, possibly 5-6, players go both ways. Chardon has zero. Chardon does have a 1-2 defensive started that play very limited spot duty on offense. Could be a factor in a hard nosed old fashioned game.

I only saw one game (last week) but #16 plays a lot of snaps on both sides. I'm guessing because he was moving who ever lined up in front of him 5 yards then putting them on the ground. He playing in college?
YSU commit. He’s a dude.

#16 is Alex McDonald - the best tight end in Chardon history imho. He has committed to Youngstown State. A legit 6'3" 240 blocking beast with great hands who has handled some monster D ends this year from Glenville and East. Also a great work ethic. Not sure why he hasn't gotten offers from bigger schools - especially when I see the guys who have. But I guess the big school recruiters know what they are doing.

#16 is Alex McDonald - the best tight end in Chardon history imho. He has committed to Youngstown State. A legit 6'3" 240 blocking beast with great hands who has handled some monster D ends this year from Glenville and East. Also a great work ethic. Not sure why he hasn't gotten offers from bigger schools - especially when I see the guys who have. But I guess the big school recruiters know what they are doing.
Also highest GPA on the team, should be looking at Ivy League schools…..

Has #16 McDonald gone to many camps in the summer?
Colleges look at the whole picture. Grades, Attitude, Coach-ability, projection, speed, competition played.
Most B1G schools stay away from D3 to D7.
They will take some projects though . You literally have to be a household name to get any recognition at a B1G school and that playing D1-D2 football in Ohio.
I don’t think it’s fair either but following recruiting for the last 30 yrs and unfortunately that’s how it works. You have to be such a freak athlete that it’s impossible to not notice the impact of that player and project him doing it at a level where everyone has size, speed, strength etc..

6’3 in D1 CFB is a tough size. Too small for TE and a little to big for LB.
Most D1- TE’s avg 6’5 to 6’7 250-265 4.5 to 4.6 speed. Route running, Run Blocking, Catching.
LBer 6’2 215 is what they are looking for on avg. Great Speed 4.4-4.6 speed.

You have to work the College Camp circuit, travel and get your name out there almost by sophomore or junior year.
It is REALLY hard to get into that group. I don’t think a lot of folks realize how hard.
YSU is nothing to be ashamed of at all. Kid must be a absolute animal on the field.

From preseason News-Herald article:

Nathanael Sulka and Alex McDonald have led their football teams to greatness both at the youth league and high school levels.

The pair of standout athletes at Chardon will now be teaming up in an attempt to do the same thing on the college level.

Sulka and McDonald have both committed to play football at Youngstown State University next year. They will sign national letters of intent later this fall to cement their pledges.

Sulka is a 6-foot-4, 210-pound outside linebacker, while McDonald is a 6-foot-3, 205-pound tight end.

“I’m super excited about it,” said Sulka, who made his decision last week before the Hilltoppers broke fall camp for the 2021 season.

“So am I,” McDonald added. “We’ve been teammates for a long time. I can always count on him to push me harder.”

Sulka and McDonald pointed out they weren’t a package deal for Youngstown State. It just worked out that way. Sulka had feelers from many schools, including Iowa State, while McDonald said he had a couple of Division II opportunities in front of him.

Related Articles
Chardon football: Defending D-III state champs open a unique fall camp
Coach Doug Phillips’ Penguins were just the right fit for both of them.

“It just worked out that way,” said McDonald of he and Sulka choosing the same college destination.

McDonald said he and Sulka have been teammates for — well — forever.

They teamed up for a youth league Super Bowl championship when they were cutting their teeth in football. This past fall, Sulka was a starting safety and McDonald was a starting tight end for the Hilltoppers undefeated (12-0) Division III state championship squad.

Sulka was first team Division III All-Ohio at defensive back, while McDonald earned second team All-Ohio honors in the same poll.

Sulka is the first FBS-level linebacker from Chardon since Chase Kline (2018) while McDonald is the first FBS-level tight end from Chardon since Andrew Gray (2016). Kline is projected as a starting linebacker at Michigan State this year, while Gray signed with Maryland out of high school.

Coach Mitch Hewitt said Sulka and McDonald are every bit in the conversation to be as good as — if not better — than Kline and Gray.

“These two are studs,” Hewitt said. “Two very talented kids. I think Youngstown State landed two really talented kids who, in my opinion, could have played at bigger schools. That’s no knock on Youngstown State. They got two great players.”

Both Sulka and McDonald are also fine multi-sport athletes. Sulka was an honorable mention Division II All-Ohioan in basketball last season after averaging 17.8 points per game, while McDonald went 25-5 in wrestling and placed sixth at the Division II district tournament at Perry.

With their college decisions having been made, Sulka and McDonald are now focusing their attention on their senior season. Chardon opens the regular season Aug. 20 against Glenville, a game that will be played at Riverside Stadium while Chardon’s Memorial Field is under construction.

“It’s going to be a very exciting season,” McDonald said. “We’ve got a new scoreboard and are getting a new field. Everyone is excited for the season.”

I truly think Dover will bring one of the biggest crowds to this regional championship game! They are battle tested and I think they are up for the challenge! Should be a good one! ?

From preseason News-Herald article:

Nathanael Sulka and Alex McDonald have led their football teams to greatness both at the youth league and high school levels.

The pair of standout athletes at Chardon will now be teaming up in an attempt to do the same thing on the college level.

Sulka and McDonald have both committed to play football at Youngstown State University next year. They will sign national letters of intent later this fall to cement their pledges.

Sulka is a 6-foot-4, 210-pound outside linebacker, while McDonald is a 6-foot-3, 205-pound tight end.

“I’m super excited about it,” said Sulka, who made his decision last week before the Hilltoppers broke fall camp for the 2021 season.

“So am I,” McDonald added. “We’ve been teammates for a long time. I can always count on him to push me harder.”

Sulka and McDonald pointed out they weren’t a package deal for Youngstown State. It just worked out that way. Sulka had feelers from many schools, including Iowa State, while McDonald said he had a couple of Division II opportunities in front of him.

Related Articles
Chardon football: Defending D-III state champs open a unique fall camp
Coach Doug Phillips’ Penguins were just the right fit for both of them.

“It just worked out that way,” said McDonald of he and Sulka choosing the same college destination.

McDonald said he and Sulka have been teammates for — well — forever.

They teamed up for a youth league Super Bowl championship when they were cutting their teeth in football. This past fall, Sulka was a starting safety and McDonald was a starting tight end for the Hilltoppers undefeated (12-0) Division III state championship squad.

Sulka was first team Division III All-Ohio at defensive back, while McDonald earned second team All-Ohio honors in the same poll.

Sulka is the first FBS-level linebacker from Chardon since Chase Kline (2018) while McDonald is the first FBS-level tight end from Chardon since Andrew Gray (2016). Kline is projected as a starting linebacker at Michigan State this year, while Gray signed with Maryland out of high school.

Coach Mitch Hewitt said Sulka and McDonald are every bit in the conversation to be as good as — if not better — than Kline and Gray.

“These two are studs,” Hewitt said. “Two very talented kids. I think Youngstown State landed two really talented kids who, in my opinion, could have played at bigger schools. That’s no knock on Youngstown State. They got two great players.”

Both Sulka and McDonald are also fine multi-sport athletes. Sulka was an honorable mention Division II All-Ohioan in basketball last season after averaging 17.8 points per game, while McDonald went 25-5 in wrestling and placed sixth at the Division II district tournament at Perry.

With their college decisions having been made, Sulka and McDonald are now focusing their attention on their senior season. Chardon opens the regular season Aug. 20 against Glenville, a game that will be played at Riverside Stadium while Chardon’s Memorial Field is under construction.

“It’s going to be a very exciting season,” McDonald said. “We’ve got a new scoreboard and are getting a new field. Everyone is excited for the season.”
YSU getting some good tough football players.
I’ll be watching for them in the future.

This never used to be the rule. I definitely remember teams playing at Fawcett or Paul Brown Tiger Stadium two or three times in the same playoffs.
So I just found out about why no games at Tom Benson. The Hall of Fame Village controls it and because they are bleeding money and they do not receive any ticket revenue, it costs them ore to turn on the lights than to play the games there. So, a gorgeous stadium that could hold big crowds is now usless.

And, how do you know? Are some kind of highschool swanee, you dont know
Didn't ya know ........ he's a shaman ......... like this:

Attachments

• qanon-shaman-meals.jpg
    qanon-shaman-meals.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 13
So I just found out about why no games at Tom Benson. The Hall of Fame Village controls it and because they are bleeding money and they do not receive any ticket revenue, it costs them ore to turn on the lights than to play the games there. So, a gorgeous stadium that could hold big crowds is now usless.
This is the same reason Akron isn't interested in hosting this year, the profit would be negligible or nonexistent and they don't want to go out of their way just to lose money in the end or make only a few bucks at the end of the day.

CalPreps Projection:
Chardon (OH) vs. Dover (OH) at Ravenna (OH), 7:00pm [projection: Chardon (OH) 28-17]
I hoping their swamee is a little off this week.

I think one of the biggest misconceptions of evaluating Chardon is to think they are not effective throwing the football.

Chardon used the pass effectively vs Columbus DeSalles in the Final in 20”.

Imo, Chardon’s offensive style typically is to test the middle of your defense and your ability to match their physicality and quickness. If you have a lot of trouble here. That’s bad news.

Chardon then likes to run the off tackle to perfection and often bounces it further outside gaining the edge with speed , blocking and a little deception.
So its pound the middle then test the edge.
The whole time this is happening the wing back is a constant threat and can hold a OLB or CB/SAF just long enough to get a step to the edge.
Mix in a occasional QB run and counters.

If the Hilltoppers need to pass they sometimes use the wing back on a wheel route. Chardon also likes the quick slant(who doesn’t) and a deep In route or deep post.
Chardon’s success and Domination of the regular season, I would think, gives them the opportunity to work on the pass game in practice all year. But not really needing it much in games.

Chardon plays excellent defense, very fundamentally sound in the back 7 vs passing teams.
It’s is very important for Chardon to get ahead in points early. You have to match their intensity early.

I also think conditioning could be a factor only for 2 way players.
After playing Kenston last week Dover will need to mentally adjust to the other side of the spectrum in philosophy. Tempo, Stamina, Physicality, Mental & Physical Discipline.

I think the Dover players and coaches are definitely ready and willing for this challenge and capable. The coaches have been prepared for this type of team , and their schedule , imo.., has prepared them well.
Dover has to execute, not get intimidated or have a let down if they get behind early. Tackle well on a island but “Gang Tackle” in the mosh pit.

Finally, in any contest, let alone a Championship Contest you have to believe. Not think your great, KNOW your great. “Gnosis”

By Friday night we Ohio High School Football fans and message board heroes will know which team knew they was great and which team thinks they might be great. Jmho.

Enjoy this great spectacle, it’s what’s best about our culture, let the competition be fierce and the talking be minimal during the game. Stay healthy and good luck to two groups of kids who worked their butts off all year!!
This is not 2020

With what the kids went thru last year I was glad to see Dover provided busses at no charge for students to go to last weeks game kids lost out on a lot of the fun things of high school. Note they did have to buy game tickets but transportation was free for the students.
And they brought an impressive amount of school busses. We saw Dover busses coming in at 6 and couldn’t figure out who they were.

With what the kids went thru last year I was glad to see Dover provided busses at no charge for students to go to last weeks game kids lost out on a lot of the fun things of high school. Note they did have to buy game tickets but transportation was free for the students.
Is there an adult Booze bus again this week? If so, where can someone sign up for it?

Has #16 McDonald gone to many camps in the summer?
Colleges look at the whole picture. Grades, Attitude, Coach-ability, projection, speed, competition played.
Most B1G schools stay away from D3 to D7.

I haven't seen McDonald play, but I wonder how he compares to Luke Farrell. Farrell played TE for Perry (D4), went to Ohio State, and now plays in the NFL. It's certainly not unheard of for a player from a D3 or D4 school to go to a BCS school.