• Russia

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Jackson Center

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Troy Christian

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't know if they are wrong, but if they feel as though that man is supporting them an offering them a better opportunity than what they may have had (meaning, he cares about them), then I can't blame them. To say he is just trying to create a dynasty is an accusation I cannot stand behind. Maybe he truly cares about these kids and giving them opportunities. Why can we not assume that side of the story?
I don't know if they are wrong, but if they feel as though that man is supporting them an offering them a better opportunity than what they may have had (meaning, he cares about them), then I can't blame them. To say he is just trying to create a dynasty is an accusation I cannot stand behind. Maybe he truly cares about these kids and giving them opportunities. Why can we not assume that side of the story?
Obviously you have no clue….most AAU coaches want and need the fame and if associated with a school will do almost anything to get it…..they care very little about the kids…..wonder how many decent players that were loyal to RH quit basketball because of the AAU coach bringing in players from all over….yea, he cares for the kids…..he cares for one thing…..his EGO….you are blind if you cannot understand what is happening….no hate here, just disappointed in the system which is being ruined!!!!!!

Today's attendance: 3,328 My team played a District Final with about 3,100 in attendance.
To be fair, this next game (D3) is probably about to say "hold my beer" to that attendance number.

Worst ever attended D4 title game excluding the 2021 restricted attendance year. Probably by a very large margin.

And I'll say it...attendance is not the end all, be all. Some communities with more transient populations and a lot of older and lower income residents are not going to be showing up to things like this in numbers. In no way does that mean that their students are less deserving of competing for championships.

The issue is 1) artificial roster construction, and 2) driving away the already declining casual/neutral fans. The old heads that used to go to the state tournament religiously every year are probably starting to die off. A lot of younger coaches don't care to spend time and money watching AAU teams pound opponents in non-competitive games when it's also the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.

Obviously you have no clue….most AAU coaches want and need the fame and if associated with a school will do almost anything to get it…..they care very little about the kids…..wonder how many decent players that were loyal to RH quit basketball because of the AAU coach bringing in players from all over….yea, he cares for the kids…..he cares for one thing…..his EGO….you are blind if you cannot understand what is happening….no hate here, just disappointed in the system which is being ruined!!!!!!
The coach spoke about leadership more than anything else in his post-game interview. Almost like the championship(s) were secondary.

????? Huh. I have no dog in the fight with RH. But I do wish them and schools like Glenville (football) well solely because of the venom and hatred directed at them.
Same with me honestly. I have no ties to RH...well I root for NEO teams and I am an East side suburban Cuyahoga County guy so I like to see them do well.

The venom you see from some people regarding them is ridiculous IMO.

You are getting dangerously close to the root of the real problem
It is scholastic athletics. Championships are won by 4 teams in Ohio. That cannot be the end-all-be-all. There are many more important things associated and Richmond Heights seems to be ticking off many of the boxes.

Most people have never been to Richmond Heights or have seen their school (the old.one). They are legit D4 in size. They do have a brand new school and gym that opened last year - but it's a small town..in fact they forfeited football games and did not play a few years because they were unable to field a team.

They happened to hire a coach that kids want to play for and the open enrollment makes it easier for that to happen. The city does have apartments so moving into the district is easier then most cities. They are not doing anything wrong. Maybe outsiders don't like it but there is nothing stopping your school from doing the same thing. It's not like Heights is playing with a different set of rules then the rest of the state.
Yeah I have noticed and I think we have commented on here I don't think a lot of people have ever been to Richmond Hts. It not a huge suburb of Cleveland and it isn't inner ring. It also is a decent suburb with nice houses and millionaires in some RH developments. I mentioned that Ginn family has a home there I assume with Jrs money.

They hired a good coach and AD in a middle class D4 suburban district with open enrollment and kids are enrolling lol. Crazy huh.

It is scholastic athletics. Championships are won by 4 teams in Ohio. That cannot be the end-all-be-all. There are many more important things associated and Richmond Heights seems to be ticking off many of the boxes.
Exactly. And it seems to me they are not the ones making state championships the end all be all..

If the RH kids were actually coached they would have led by 40 at halftime. And someone's going to put this "great" coach in some hall of fame somewhere.

I wouldn't put Rogers in the HOF but he does gave credentials and success going back 15 years. I think he has to have some sort of basketball IQ to win as many championships as he had. His All.Ohio Red teams were not the most talented Nike AAU teams by any stretch. They beat teams with more talent with basketball IQ and defense.

So yeah he when he does have a talent advantage like at RH in Ohio D4 you will see dominance.

Last edited:
Other than the fact that ran an AAU program. Who is RH coach? Did he play somewhere? Obviously doesn’t pick up the clipboard during the game. Can he coach? Just genuinely curious.

Did the research for you also. 203-7 over 3 summers and 3 national AAU championships against teams with more D1.and NBA talent yet winning with fundamentals and defense instead of elite says to me the can coach basketball to some degree. I have been impressed with what I have seen from RH and Aaron Craft was a hell of a defender and hard worker

Honestly, when people talk about the best coaches in NEO it usually centers around Eric Flannery at Ed's and Krizancic..but Rogers between his HS and extensive AAU experience going back 15 years and his HS success is probably in this tier also whether or not people want to admit it. He has the experience and hardware.

Last edited:
Communities arent going to show up for a load up team.

Think parents and students are all excited to see their programs hijacked from kids who didn't come through their school system?

Personally HS sports are about kids who have been playing with each there their whole lives, not who can recruit the most talent.

I look at it this way...if there was no such thing as sports, how many of the kids on a said team woulb attend RH, or the game now of Lutheran East......harvest prep?

I was fortunate enough to play on 2 title teams, and recall playing with each of my teammates at the earliest of ages.

THAT is what HS sports are to me.

And I'll say it...attendance is not the end all, be all. Some communities with more transient populations and a lot of older and lower income residents are not going to be showing up to things like this in numbers. In no way does that mean that their students are less deserving of competing for championships.

The issue is 1) artificial roster construction, and 2) driving away the already declining casual/neutral fans. The old heads that used to go to the state tournament religiously every year are probably starting to die off. A lot of younger coaches don't care to spend time and money watching AAU teams pound opponents in non-competitive games when it's also the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.
An early morning game that is guaranteed to be a blowout, why would a casual fan even be interested?

Did the research for you also. 203-7 over 3 summers and 3 national AAU championships against teams with more D1.and NBA talent yet winning with fundamentals and defense instead of elite says to me the can coach basketball to some degree. I have been impressed with what I have seen from RH and Aaron Craft was a hell of a defender and hard worker

Honestly, when people talk about the best coaches in NEO it usually centers around Eric Flannery at Ed's and Krizancic..but Rogers between his HS and extensive AAU experience going back 15 years and his HS success is probably in this tier also whether or not people want to admit it. He has the experience and hardware.
Those two coaches also dont do a lot of clipboard grabbing in game either. A lot of freedom in Flan and coach Ks system as well as Rogers

Congrats to Heights. The best team won. No one ever bit@$^s when Marion Local destroy's all of DVII in football. To be the best you have to beat the best. And I'm not dragging ML into this, they're just a good example of a team that's dominant in football.

I love going to the state championship games - but I have not been to one since it moved to Dayton. The games should be as close to the center of the state as possible. I'm not driving 3+ hours to watch a game - I would drive 2. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Here is a little inside information about people thinking these schools recruit. Do you know what the best recruiting tool is ? WINNING. When you win like Ed's, Iggy, Richmond Heights, Lutheran East and a few years ago VASJ the programs recruit themselves. Kids want to play for a winner.

Do you know? Please share why so many very, very talented players all decided to transfer to play at one school.
Question? When DSJ was a power in football, Were all those kids from Delphos? Heck were they all from 1 county? Kids wanted to go there and be part of a winning program. Now the VanWert, Crestview, Shawnee etc kids stay at their local schools. Back to basketball, Maybe DSJ beats richmond next year as DSJ has a very good young team with a legit stud. However, your sour grapes about kids coming in from other areas to play together is getting old. Richmond kids have been friends and played together at various levels from 3rd grade on. So maybe Richmond should change its name to Richmond St Johns then maybe it is ok?

Last edited:
They hired a good coach and AD in a middle class D4 suburban district with open enrollment and kids are enrolling lol. Crazy hu

I wouldn't put Rogers in the HOF but he does gave credentials and success going back 15 years. I think he has to have some sort of basketball IQ to win as many championships as he had. His All.Ohio Red teams were not the most talented Nike AAU teams by any stretch. They beat teams with more talent with basketball IQ and defense.

So yeah he when he does have a talent advantage like at RH in Ohio D4 you will see dominance.
A good high school coach wins with the talent he has at his high school. A good coach develops his high school's kids and coaches them to win. He doesn't need to bring in talent from all over to win.