• Russia

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Jackson Center

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Troy Christian

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Russia was the more physical team and did a decent job handling the ball but when they did turn it over was usually 2 pts. for RH. Russia may have won the rebounding battle; difference was foul shooting.

Salute to Russia they gave Richmond hell
Heckuva effort by Russia. Honest question as this is the first time I've seen RH play. Were they "off" a little today. Just don't see how they would have beaten some of the teams they beat playing like they did today. Russia got inside multiple times. How did a teams with guys a lot bigger than Russia just not eat them up with their interior play?

Heckuva effort by Russia. Honest question as this is the first time I've seen RH play. Were they "off" a little today. Just don't see how they would have beaten some of the teams they beat playing like they did today. Russia got inside multiple times. How did a teams with guys a lot bigger than Russia just not eat them up with their interior play?
Fact is Russia is really good plus RH had 9 losses on the year. IMO Russia would beat most of the D-2 and D-3 teams at Dayton, not all but most.

Fact is Russia is really good plus RH had 9 losses on the year. IMO Russia would beat most of the D-2 and D-3 teams at Dayton, not all but most.
9 losses is deceiving. Barber was out for all but one loss I'm pretty sure and the losses were to elite teams. He stirs the drink there. They were also trying to incorporate Crumble to the team. They seemed to play better with Barber back and Crumble ineligible.

9 losses is deceiving. Barber was out for all but one loss I'm pretty sure and the losses were to elite teams. He stirs the drink there. They were also trying to incorporate Crumble to the team. They seemed to play better with Barber back and Crumble ineligible.
I am just answering the question in bold.

I was following on Twitter - seemed like a physical game. Russia looked like they were crashing the boards and playing hard - you knew they would. Every game and match up is different. I'm sure RH was not as aggressive as they normally would be since 3 of their bigs had 3 fouls in the first half (one player ended up fouling out). That however is a credit for the gameplan and hard play of Russia. Unfortunately for Russia RH is good enough at the D4 level to overcome most mistakes or circumstances.

I would say they were a little off but that was also a really good effort by Russia period. I saw RH beat St Ignatius and St Eds. They turned Ignatius over a lot at the beginning and Jones (#11) caught FIRE early. Once Ignatius stabilized their guard play they were able to get back in the game. RH still had Crumble. Against Eds they didnt have Crumble and the game wouldve been much closer had Eds made all their bunnies at the rim. I would say the interior defense has been Richmond weakness since Crumble was declared ineligible.

But like I said kudos to Russia because they were able to do what Eds couldnt: capitilaize at the rim.

Richmond was also without their best player, TJ Crumble.

They will be very good next year TJ Crumble. They will lose a few kids to graduation and TJ will fill that void. The core of the team will return next year.
Was thinking the same thing. Team chemistry with Crumble will surely be on point next season.

As many posts as I have in regards to RH over the last couple years, Russia and RH will be a battle into the 4th quarter like last year. Russia has too much experience and too much of a winning pedigree for me to think they will blown out before halftime. They have been to state before and played RH.

Having followed the state tournament for 30 years, I am not the only person to remember dominant, unstoppable teams get upset. Even Jerry Lucas and Middletown was upset. LeBron and SVSM got upset. Having no shot clock can come into play. Teams sometimes have trouble adjusting to the arena.

I may look like a fool in a week, but I think RH will be in a legit battle vs Russia well into the 2nd half.
Just saying...

From cleveland.com:

DAYTON, Ohio — Russia gave Richmond Heights its toughest test a year ago in the OHSAA boys basketball tournament.

That didn’t change Friday in their rematch at the University of Dayton Arena, and neither did the result, as Richmond Heights pulled away for a 65-52 win in the Division IV state semifinals.

“Talent doesn’t necessarily always win these games,” Richmond Heights coach Quentin Rogers said. “Sometimes it comes down to mental toughness, schemes and discipline. ”That toughness and discipline came with three starters entering the second half with three fouls, and returning All-Ohio guard Dorian Jones fouling out with 5 minutes, 53 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

Russia (27-2) had just pulled even on a 3-pointer by Benjamin York to start the fourth quarter, and Richmond Heights (18-9) led by seven when Jones exited on a charging call. “It was little nerve-wracking,” said Jones, who scored 16 points, “but I had trust in my team and my brothers to get the job done.”

Russia, which lost in the state semifinals last year by a 66-51 score, rallied within six points before two 3s down the stretch by Demarris Winters Jr. sent Richmond Heights on its way to a third straight state final. The Spartans will play at 10:45 a.m. Sunday against Berlin Hiland (23-6), which fended off Lima Central Catholic earlier on Friday for a 62-59 win in double overtime. Richmond Heights has a chance to become the fourth team in OHSAA history to win three straight state championships in boys basketball. The last to do it was North College Hill, led by O.J. Mayo, from 2005-07.

Russia tried to stop it while becoming the first team all postseason to remain closer than 34 points of the Spartans. “One of the things we talked about all week long was take care of the basketball,” Russia coach Spencer Cordonnier said. “Last year we had 22 turnovers. I thought we took care of the basketball, and I thought we could rebound with them.” The Raiders did that. They outrebounded Richmond Heights 28-23 and even committed just nine turnovers to 12 by the Spartans. They just could not slow junior point guard De’Erick Barber, who finished with a team-high 17 points and six assists. Or seniors Jeremy Wilson and Hosea Steele Jr., the other two players who played the second half with three fouls. Wilson provided a slam dunk on a feed from Barber after Russia pulled within 42-all to start the fourth quarter. “We kind of knew that they weren’t going to back down,” said Barber, who attacked the hoop for a few more baskets in the fourth quarter.

Steele paced the Spartans with 10 rebounds, while Wilson grabbed seven. Winters finished with 15 points, including three 3-pointers. Richmond Heights made 8 of 18 shots beyond the 3-point arc, with Jones knocking down all three of his attempts.
“They’re tough to defend for 32 minutes,” Cordonnier said. “Let’s face the facts, they’re a tough guard for anyone they play. I thought our guys battled, battled and battled.”

Senior Brayden Monnin, a returning starter from last year’s matchup, led Russia with 15 points. Felix Francis added 12 points and nine rebounds, while York provided 12 points off the bench. They fell into an early nine-point deficit before pulling even in the second quarter. Seeing the Raiders in person after last year, the difference made an impression on Rogers. “It looked like everybody attacked the weight room,” Rogers said. “It looked like everybody bulked up. They definitely got stronger.”

Cordonnier noted his players’ strength training came on their own. The school is building a new weight room, which kept the Raiders from lifting as a team. Many of their players also participate on a baseball team that won a state championship in 2022 and got back to the state finals last year in that sport.

Meanwhile, Richmond Heights has made this stage a constant in basketball since 2019 under Rogers. The Spartans played in two state semifinals before what will be a third straight final appearance on Sunday. Cordonnier called the Spartans, “a very disciplined team.” “When we’re not playing them, I enjoy watching them play,” he said. “Those dudes can flat out get it. They can play. You’re going to see four of those guys in a couple of years this weekend in March Madness.” With a slight smile, Cordonnier pointed to two of his players sitting with him in the postgame interview room. “You ain’t going to see these guys,” he said, drawing a laugh from them.

From cleveland.com:

DAYTON, Ohio — Russia gave Richmond Heights its toughest test a year ago in the OHSAA boys basketball tournament.

That didn’t change Friday in their rematch at the University of Dayton Arena, and neither did the result, as Richmond Heights pulled away for a 65-52 win in the Division IV state semifinals.

“Talent doesn’t necessarily always win these games,” Richmond Heights coach Quentin Rogers said. “Sometimes it comes down to mental toughness, schemes and discipline. ”That toughness and discipline came with three starters entering the second half with three fouls, and returning All-Ohio guard Dorian Jones fouling out with 5 minutes, 53 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

Russia (27-2) had just pulled even on a 3-pointer by Benjamin York to start the fourth quarter, and Richmond Heights (18-9) led by seven when Jones exited on a charging call. “It was little nerve-wracking,” said Jones, who scored 16 points, “but I had trust in my team and my brothers to get the job done.”

Russia, which lost in the state semifinals last year by a 66-51 score, rallied within six points before two 3s down the stretch by Demarris Winters Jr. sent Richmond Heights on its way to a third straight state final. The Spartans will play at 10:45 a.m. Sunday against Berlin Hiland (23-6), which fended off Lima Central Catholic earlier on Friday for a 62-59 win in double overtime. Richmond Heights has a chance to become the fourth team in OHSAA history to win three straight state championships in boys basketball. The last to do it was North College Hill, led by O.J. Mayo, from 2005-07.

Russia tried to stop it while becoming the first team all postseason to remain closer than 34 points of the Spartans. “One of the things we talked about all week long was take care of the basketball,” Russia coach Spencer Cordonnier said. “Last year we had 22 turnovers. I thought we took care of the basketball, and I thought we could rebound with them.” The Raiders did that. They outrebounded Richmond Heights 28-23 and even committed just nine turnovers to 12 by the Spartans. They just could not slow junior point guard De’Erick Barber, who finished with a team-high 17 points and six assists. Or seniors Jeremy Wilson and Hosea Steele Jr., the other two players who played the second half with three fouls. Wilson provided a slam dunk on a feed from Barber after Russia pulled within 42-all to start the fourth quarter. “We kind of knew that they weren’t going to back down,” said Barber, who attacked the hoop for a few more baskets in the fourth quarter.

Steele paced the Spartans with 10 rebounds, while Wilson grabbed seven. Winters finished with 15 points, including three 3-pointers. Richmond Heights made 8 of 18 shots beyond the 3-point arc, with Jones knocking down all three of his attempts.
“They’re tough to defend for 32 minutes,” Cordonnier said. “Let’s face the facts, they’re a tough guard for anyone they play. I thought our guys battled, battled and battled.”

Senior Brayden Monnin, a returning starter from last year’s matchup, led Russia with 15 points. Felix Francis added 12 points and nine rebounds, while York provided 12 points off the bench. They fell into an early nine-point deficit before pulling even in the second quarter. Seeing the Raiders in person after last year, the difference made an impression on Rogers. “It looked like everybody attacked the weight room,” Rogers said. “It looked like everybody bulked up. They definitely got stronger.”

Cordonnier noted his players’ strength training came on their own. The school is building a new weight room, which kept the Raiders from lifting as a team. Many of their players also participate on a baseball team that won a state championship in 2022 and got back to the state finals last year in that sport.

Meanwhile, Richmond Heights has made this stage a constant in basketball since 2019 under Rogers. The Spartans played in two state semifinals before what will be a third straight final appearance on Sunday. Cordonnier called the Spartans, “a very disciplined team.” “When we’re not playing them, I enjoy watching them play,” he said. “Those dudes can flat out get it. They can play. You’re going to see four of those guys in a couple of years this weekend in March Madness.” With a slight smile, Cordonnier pointed to two of his players sitting with him in the postgame interview room. “You ain’t going to see these guys,” he said, drawing a laugh from them.
Love the healthy respect these two programs have for each other thats what its all about

From cleveland.com:

Welcome to WCO basketball.

Be a 30 point game tomorrow. Hiland with a healthy roster could make it a game. But not now. Last time the team was healthy they had a 15 point at Ottawa Glandorf. Just outmanned now

They will be very good next year TJ Crumble. They will lose a few kids to graduation and TJ will fill that void. The core of the team will return next year.
Plus filling in spots from AAU teams from around the state…..so is Crumble finally going to live in the school district……this team along with others bend the rules to fit their needs….move up to D1 to really prove how good your team is…..go Berlin!!!!!!!

I do not think it will be a 30 point blowout tomorrow I was not that impressed with Richmond heights I thought last year and the first year we played them they were much better. I think Lcc was better then Russia I was not that impressed with Russia either there outside shooting and foul shooting was terrible. I think we will compete not sure if we can win but we should be able to give them a game we have the quickness to play with them and how Alex can handle the ball. If we continue the hot shooting and are defense can give them fits. Lcc must of gotten tired in the game they stopped hitting there inside shots.

I do not think it will be a 30 point blowout tomorrow I was not that impressed with Richmond heights I thought last year and the first year we played them they were much better. I think Lcc was better then Russia I was not that impressed with Russia either there outside shooting and foul shooting was terrible. I think we will compete not sure if we can win but we should be able to give them a game we have the quickness to play with them and how Alex can handle the ball. If we continue the hot shooting and are defense can give them fits. Lcc must of gotten tired in the game they stopped hitting there inside shots.
I think it will be 20 plus for sure. Russia is really good. The only thing they didn't do is play a great schedule. They should have tried to play Ignatious or Lutheran East or some of those teams. Felt like it may have helped them yesterday. Defense is what separates RH from everyone else IMO. They play the right way and and play hard and unselfish. Hiland will struggle to get shots off. Hawks have had a great run and earned respect with a great win against a good LCC team. Felt like if Sammy's not in foul trouble Hiland wins in regulation. He's a good defender and that's how LCC got some of their late buckets because he couldn't foul.

Queue “Hate” by Jay Z….very sad individuals who think this is anywhere near acceptable to post about anyone let alone high school kids! And that’s exactly why they will be at home the rest of the weekend.
IMG_1021.jpeg

Plus filling in spots from AAU teams from around the state…..so is Crumble finally going to live in the school district……this team along with others bend the rules to fit their needs….move up to D1 to really prove how good your team is…..go Berlin!!!!!!!
He is currently living in the district. He sat out this year so he is good to go for next season. As for filling spots from AAU teams - they have open enrollment. With the OHSAA expanding to 7 divisions next year they will stay the same.or possibly move down.

Exactly why I pull for RH.
There will always be haters and jealousy. If your good there's always haters. Hiland is a small school but has had a lot of success. They have haters in their own community and in their conference. No ones goes after the average teams. Anywhere where there are kids with a lot of success these days certain people find a way to discredit them and marginalize their achievements. They don't understand the hard work and commitment kids put into it.