Disqualified wrestler advances, while 2nd wrestler is Disqualified after tournament (same weight)!

Update - OSHAA is not backing down on this ruling. This is happening because of cowards. There is so much detail behind this decision that is not being shared. I have submitted medical research, 122 examples, and hired an attorney. There are more people involved than just the people mentioned. I could go on and on but I’m not going to. I hope everyone involved is truly proud of themselves for destroying a young girls senior year. As for the Sandusky team. I was there and the versions that are out are “rumors”. I’m not going to say anything about it because it truly is a different circumstance and it’s not my place. I hold no ill will towards Sandusky or their wrestlers. Unfortunately they are mentioned along with this situation because of it happening at the same tournament. At this point I’m not done fighting but focusing on what I can control. Since the tournament will obviously be missing one of the best 105 pound girls, OHWAY is having a Girls Open State tournament on March 16th. If you think she doesn’t belong or her weight is a “fluke” come and prove it…..
I’m assuming you’re the coach?
Did she weigh in above 115 like people are saying?

If yes, then it’s the coach’s fault. Happened to Northmor last year. If your anger and outrage is over your kid being out and the Sandusky kid being in, I understand.

If she had not yet made scratch at 105 she can still drop the weight to 105. If she had wrestled at 105 already THEN went back up to 112 plus she loses 105. I have always been unclear on whether a wrestler can then go back down and make scratch again to "recertify".

If she had not yet made scratch at 105 she can still drop the weight to 105. If she had wrestled at 105 already THEN went back up to 112 plus she loses 105. I have always been unclear on whether a wrestler can then go back down and make scratch again to "recertify".
This is incorrect. Regardless if she has made scratch at 105 or not, if she weighs in too heavy and outside of her weight loss plan that her alpha sheet provides she cannot wrestle 105.

Example - her alpha says she can make 105 on 1/20/24, but on that day she weighs in over 114.9, she has now forfeiting the ability to go 105 regardless if she has already made scratch weight at 105 or not.

This is incorrect. Regardless if she has made scratch at 105 or not, if she weighs in too heavy and outside of her weight loss plan that her alpha sheet provides she cannot wrestle 105.

Example - her alpha says she can make 105 on 1/20/24, but on that day she weighs in over 114.9, she has now forfeiting the ability to go 105 regardless if she has already made scratch weight at 105 or not.
I was typing this same message, you beat me to it!

I think where people are getting some confusion is, certify 105, she can weigh in at 110+2, bump up 1 weight to wrestle 115 (say for a dual) and still maintain 105 without recertification. She only weighed in one weight above, which is allowed, and bumped up a weight to compete, which is also allowed.

In my opinion this is how the rule should be but unfortunately it's not. If your plan says you can go the minimum weight then if you weigh-in 2 weight classes above your lowest allowable weight at that time you forfeit the lowest weight class.

It's not always realistic for wrestlers to lose 1.5% a week on their decent for some it takes longer but I guess the reasoning behind it is to eliminate extreme weight cutting in a short period of time.

Definitely an unfortunate situation especially after she had already competed. My guess is Rugg is being hardline on this rule because he was emailed a ton a few days prior for letting the Sandusky girl break the rules and compete. So now he wants to be Tommy Tough Guy and hold the line.

I asked this question to the OHSAA years ago (I believe it was to Tyler Brooks) and was told that what I said is correct.

You are not required to follow the 1.5% rule from day one or ever if you don't want to cut weight. If a kid weighs 200 and can cut to 182 they can wrestle up as long as they want before starting to cut. Once they cut, they just can't lose more than 1.5% per week is what I was told. So the 200 pound kid could still only lose 3 pounds a week but as long as there is 6 weeks left they could cut the 18 pounds and wrestle 182.

Now...I've been out of coaching for a few years but the wording of the rule looks the same as id did in 2016-17 when I was in my last season.

There really should be A LOT more clarification on this rule AND coaches should have to enter wrestlers weight every day Monday- Saturday and mark on off days either absent, no practice, or something like that. It would solve a heck of a lot of issues. I guarantee there were at least 100 boys and girls state wide who broke that same rule for the first week of post season without even realizing it.

They really should get rid of the descent rule. New coaches come in often and don’t really understand the rule. A lot of wrestlers unintentionally violate this rule, and every year someone loses their chance at postseason.

The rule should simply be this is your minimum weight class. You can’t compete any lower and or course you need to make scratch weight.

They really should get rid of the descent rule. New coaches come in often and don’t really understand the rule. A lot of wrestlers unintentionally violate this rule, and every year someone loses their chance at postseason.

The rule should simply be this is your minimum weight class. You can’t compete any lower and or course you need to make scratch weight.
Yes, or some states have electronic logs to keep kids in compliance, in Ohio it is just used as a potential weapon when someone wants to use it. Who knows how many have gone through undetected.

I just feel that both girls should be disqualified. If you break a rule you’re out there’s nothing else to it. Then to lawyer up over it? Maybe get a lawyer to fight the fact you were kicked out and not Sandusky but to get a lawyer because you were disqualified over the fact you broke a rule is exactly what’s wrong with our country. All condolences to your girl, and I do feel for her for it being her senior year, but at the end of the day it’s a state wrestling tournament, not her life on the line.

Bottom line the onus falls on the coach. My kid was in a similar situation Sr year. Alpha and end weight was one weight but coach made sure he weighed up only one class and wrestled him up one above weigh in for Dual purposes allowing him to maintain eligibility for the weight he SQ at... Coaches need to coach. Thank goodness we had a good one.

A weapon when someone wants to use it? Here’s an idea, don’t break the rule and the “weapon” doesn’t exist.
I never said a rule wasn’t broken, but one girl held to the rules and another not? It also appears that this rule is not properly understood by a number of people, and only found after much digging by someone. Which is their right to do. I just think OHSAA needs to have a system in place to avoid a wrestler inadvertently wrestling in a weight class they aren’t eligible. I have no ill will towards anyone and know high school sports aren’t everything. I wish everyone the best and hope spreading the word will avoid the same happening to another wrestler.

I never said a rule wasn’t broken, but one girl held to the rules and another not? It also appears that this rule is not properly understood by a number of people, and only found after much digging by someone. Which is their right to do. I just think OHSAA needs to have a system in place to avoid a wrestler inadvertently wrestling in a weight class they aren’t eligible. I have no ill will towards anyone and know high school sports aren’t everything. I wish everyone the best and hope spreading the word will avoid the same happening to another wrestler.
Like I said before, it’s the coaches responsibility to know and understand the rules… I’ve understood this rule since it’s inception. It’s not that hard to understand.

Like I said before, it’s the coaches responsibility to know and understand the rules… I’ve understood this rule since it’s inception. It’s not that hard to understand.

Maybe it is not for you, but it obviously is still an interpretation issue since it happens every year. There’s also some that are unaware of the rule.

Where in this rule does it say punishment is forfeiture of postseason? The OHSAA and every coach saw the entry list prior to Pre Regional. They didn’t catch it, and the girl qualified for Regional. At that point, she should be allowed to continue her postseason.

Maybe it is not for you, but it obviously is still an interpretation issue since it happens every year. There’s also some that are unaware of the rule.

Where in this rule does it say punishment is forfeiture of postseason? The OHSAA and every coach saw the entry list prior to Pre Regional. They didn’t catch it, and the girl qualified for Regional. At that point, she should be allowed to continue her
postseason.
There’s several boys who have been disqualified for it for several years. It’s not like she’s the first ever person for this to happen.

I worked at OHSAA from 2013-2021 and this would happen once or twice in the postseason every single year. Which means that 99.99% of coaches do it correctly.
Can you verify a wrestler was in concussion protocol and allow to switch assigned location? Moving pushed the new event back a day and allowed him to wrestle?

Can you verify a wrestler was in concussion protocol and allow to switch assigned location? Moving pushed the new event back a day and allowed him to wrestle?
Hadn’t ever seen that in my time there, though from Beau’s email it seemed he was alleging that happened this year. Hadn’t ever seen it in any sport. I was pretty surprised to read that.

Hadn’t ever seen that in my time there, though from Beau’s email it seemed he was alleging that happened this year. Hadn’t ever seen it in any sport. I was pretty surprised to read that.
I don’t believe they are any two day sectionals this year. Last time there was I believe was two years ago 21/22 season, was that during your time there?

Where in this rule does it say punishment is forfeiture of postseason? The OHSAA and every coach saw the entry list prior to Pre Regional. They didn’t catch it, and the girl qualified for Regional. At that point, she should be allowed to continue her postseason.
It’s on the coaches. Be mad at the coaches, not the OHSAA… the rule is the rule and if you’re too dumb to understand it then I guess it’s on you.

Thanks for posting.

I was unaware that situations like this (moving an individual to a different sectional apart from his/her team competition site) had happened before.

Mr. Rugg commented that there are “a dozen instances where we have let schools/wrestlers into this year’s tournament after the deadline for a plethora of reasons.

With this being the case, can someone point me to the direction of one of these instances? Moreover, I think it is now up to Mr. Rugg to provide the documentation for such instances. Surely, he has receipts.

Thanks for posting.

I was unaware that situations like this (moving an individual to a different sectional apart from his/her team competition site) had happened before.

Mr. Rugg commented that there are “a dozen instances where we have let schools/wrestlers into this year’s tournament after Here’s one...Hamilton was allowed to weigh in after weigh-ins were closed at the Middletown sectional. Apparently, the Head Official was alerted the team would be late do to a “Clerical error“at the time that weigh-ins started. He asked Toby the SRI for the area and they were allowed to compete. Why I do not understand because Hamilton is always late. deadline for a plethora of reasons.

With this being the case, can someone point me to the direction of one of these instances? Moreover, I think it is now up to Mr. Rugg to provide the documentation for such instances. Surely, he has receipts.
Here’s one...Hamilton was allowed to weigh in after weigh-ins were closed at the Middletown sectional. Apparently, the Head Official was alerted the team would be late do to a “Clerical error“at the time that weigh-ins started. He asked Toby the SRI for the area and they were allowed to compete. Why I do not understand because Hamilton is always late.

Beau Rugg strikes again. Allows a disqualified wrestler to compete at Orange Regional. Weighed in an illegally altered singlet.
The #1 ranked girl in the state at 110 talea guntrum weighed in with an altered singlet. She was on weight in the altered singlet. They made her weigh in with a school singlet, she was over weight. The altered singlet has all the elastic cut out (I wasn’t there but was told it was visibly altered and cut with scissors)

Officials said she was out. Beau overruled and she is in.

B Rugg is worthless, no spine acts like a dictator. Only wants to collect the extra paycheck

It’s on the coaches. Be mad at the coaches, not the OHSAA… the rule is the rule and if you’re too dumb to understand it then I guess it’s on you.

It’s poorly worded, but it currently is a rule the coaches should know and understand. The punishment is forfeiture of that weight class not forfeiture of postseason. The girl should have been given the opportunity to compete in a weight class she was eligible for. It’s a rule that needs to be addressed.

B Rugg is worthless, no spine acts like a dictator. Only wants to collect the extra paycheck

Why is this guy Rugg in charge of wrestling? Wouldn’t a wrestling state rules interpreter be a better person to be making rule violation decisions?