Disqualified wrestler advances, while 2nd wrestler is Disqualified after tournament (same weight)!

Update - A wrestler from Norwalk who weighed in and competed in the weight class that the Sandusky wrestler was scheduled to compete in before leaving weigh ins and getting Disqualified has now been disqualified for some violation while the Sandusky girl was allowed to enter a different tournament to qualify after her violations of the weigh in procedures.

Can someone make this make sense. Beau Rugg the director of officiating and sport management has used his authority to over rule others at OHSAA and the officials at the tournament to reinstate the returning state runner up.

His email
brugg@ohsaa.org

Phone
614-549-6958

Can someone explains this.

I am hearing from multiple sources that a Sandusky female wrestler was disqualified from her Pre-Regional (Sectional) Friday at Clyde when she left the weigh ins and returned after the conclusion of half of the weight classes. The tournament ran through its completion without this wrestler, who was a returning state runner up, in the tournament.

Today at Findlay this wrestler was entered as an individual and allowed to compete where she won her weight class as expected. The rest of her team competed at Clyde where they selected to compete.

I have heard various things and none of it makes sense as to why she would be allowed to compete when there are clear rules in place and precedents that have been established in the past. The best example being Jacob Decatur.

Can someone please enlighten me to who made this decision that is against the integrity of the sport?

Do the girls that missed weigh ins today, get to schedule another Pre-Regional for this Tuesday to try again? Would this have been allowed if it was just another wrestler with a losing record?

I am all for girls wresting, but they should be held to the same standards as the boys if they are to be taken seriously!

Where does it end? Can a golfer miss their tee time at Sectionals where they are scheduled to compete and just show up at another Sectional?

Last edited:

I am hearing from multiple sources that a Sandusky female wrestler was disqualified from her Pre-Regional (Sectional) Friday at Clyde when she left the weigh ins and returned after the conclusion of half of the weight classes. The tournament ran through its completion without this wrestler, who was a returning state runner up, in the tournament.

Today at Findlay this wrestler was entered as an individual and allowed to compete where she won her weight class as expected. The rest of her team competed at Clyde where they selected to compete.

I have heard various things and none of it makes sense as to why she would be allowed to compete when there are clear rules in place and precedents that have been established in the past. The best example being Jacob Decatur.

Can someone please enlighten me to who made this decision that is against the integrity of the sport?

Do the girls that missed weigh ins today, get to schedule another Pre-Regional for this Tuesday to try again? Would this have been allowed if it was just another wrestler with a losing record?

I am all for girls wresting, but they should be held to the same standards as the boys if they are to be taken seriously!

Where does it end? Can a golfer miss their tee time at Sectionals where they are scheduled to compete and just show up at another Sectional?
They for sure should be held to the same standards as the boys. Are girl was at that regional and would be on the other side of the bracket if she wrestled now we are in the same quarter since she was aloud a do over WTF.

I'm glad this got brought up on the boys wrestling page.

Beau Rugg made the decision and rumor is being stubborn about it. OHSAA definitely knows about it and put themselves in a lose/lose situation.

I do have a dog in this fight, but my biggest argument here would this had been allowed if all Pre-regionals been wrestled Friday? Would the boys be granted the same grace?

Is this the guy who made the decision? How can this be rationalized? Is there a connection between him and Sandusky? Sorry I don’t know the guy. This seems completely against the way things have been done while my girls wrestled.

Attachments

• IMG_2822.png
    IMG_2822.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 179
I don’t have a dog in the fight. However, this seems entirely unfair. Other girls missed weight and won’t get a second chance, so why does the Sandusky girl. I’m sure she just wants to compete but there are rules in place for a reason

My niece missed weight today at her Pre-Regional, how can we make it fair to her since she doesn’t have another pre-regional to compete at?

How do you make it fair to the boys who missed weigh ins this weekend?

Honestly this needs brought to light because someone shouldn’t have their job that made this decision that seems in complete disagreement with the rules of the sport.

The only way to stop this kind of stuff from continuing is to bring it out in the open which is why I am glad it is on Yappi.

Jordan Decatur, not Jacob. But this isn't right.

If true, that is setting a terrible precedent. Although it would all depend on the pre-regional tournaments running on more than one date in the future.
1. No one scheduled to wrestle today has the same opportunity to go to another qualifying tournament.
2. Teams could start to use this as a strategy to schedule tournaments occurring on Friday knowing they would have a second opportunity for their wrestlers on Sunday.
3. Can wrestlers who competed on Friday and failed to qualify now wrestle as an “individual” on Sunday tournaments.
4. The wrestler was registered and present at the tournament on Friday with their team, at their assigned location, how can they now register as an individual?
5. Guidelines stated roster submissions had to be completed by 2/21.
The only exceptions for failure to make weight I see are under section 10.3 which allow a coach to enter an alternate wrestler. No mention of competing in a different qualifying event.

Last edited:
I'm glad this got brought up on the boys wrestling page.

Beau Rugg made the decision and rumor is being stubborn about it. OHSAA definitely knows about it and put themselves in a lose/lose situation.

Typical Beau Rugg, I officiated the Suburban League for years, So one year the state mandates that in all multi round matches the next match is to begin at the next weight, so on and so forth. I also happened to be the head official for the SLT. So one evening myself and a fellow official were assigned a double duel. This was also at the time when drawing the starting match out of pill box was mandated. When we began weigh-ins I was presented a letter from Beau by the hosting coach giving the Suburban League permission to begin all matches at 103 (at the time) for EVERY dual. This was unbeknownst to the SL Commissioner and any officials assigned to the SL. Talk about being put in a bad spot. LOL!!

This is absolutely wild and not a good look. This isn't a beginning of the year open tournament. Team was entered at Clyde, you miss weight your folkstyle season is done, time to start locking hands and throwing.

Terrible look for anyone involved.

*Edit to add more rambling

So moving forward coaches can just pick which pre regional/sectional to send wrestlers too? For instance Central district D3, send the lighter weights to AC because they match up better and the bigs to Ridgedale?

No way any of this makes sense especially if the wrestler was at the weigh ins then two days later entered in another pre regional that was closed

Can someone better explain what happened? The wrestler was allowed to wrestle at a Pre Regional different than the one her team was assigned to? There is another side to this story right? This should have never been brought up the chain to Beau Rugg. This is a simple District board or tournament manager decision.

Can someone better explain what happened? The wrestler was allowed to wrestle at a Pre Regional different than the one her team was assigned to? There is another side to this story right? This should have never been brought up the chain to Beau Rugg. This is a simple District board or tournament manager decision.
Findlay was contacted by OHSAA on Friday night and told she would be competing.

This is my understanding.... Please if someone knows better than feel free to correct and I am also not picking sides just passing on info...

The wrestler LEFT the weigh in area due to a "female issue"....
I do not believe that they ever stepped on a scale in any official manner... so they did not miss weight per se.
Leaving the weigh in area for any reason without getting your weight recorded can/does disqualify you from being able to go back to weigh in.

I have seen this happen before where an athlete left the weigh in area to grab their skin check form that was left in the stands. That was at a D1 district tournament maybe 12 years ago. Since they left the weigh in area without a weight they were pulled from the tournament.

Beau Ruggs email answer to a group of coaches that emailed him Saturday

All,

This wrestler was not allowed to weigh-in at Clyde per rule 4-5-3 because she and her coach did not follow protocol in asking permission because of this issue. If they would have asked for this reason, they would have been granted permission. Spare me your judgement on where you saw her unless you saw her riding a stationary bike trying to make weight (which is what the rule is written to prevent). All of you on this email have no idea how the timing of this biological condition affects the individual.

Placing a wrestler in any tournament event is not a rule. It is policy governed by this office. We had a situation in a boys sectional where a wrestler was assigned to a sectional on Friday night and he was not coming off concussion protocol until Saturday. We moved him to a Saturday sectional. There are over a dozen instances where we have let schools/wrestlers into this year’s tournament after the deadline for a plethora of reasons. Those decisions are made in our office and are not made by coaches or our state rules interpreter.

I only have empathy for Coach Gilbert as per the unique nature of "open draws," he made a strategic decision that was affected by this. That is unfortunate.

I appreciate your efforts for the wrestlers in your communities and wish you all good fortune in the tournament.

Beau

Beau Rugg
Director of Officiating and Sport Management
brugg@ohsaa.org
P: 614-549-6958

This is my understanding.... Please if someone knows better than feel free to correct and I am also not picking sides just passing on info...

The wrestler LEFT the weigh in area due to a "female issue"....
I do not believe that they ever stepped on a scale in any official manner... so they did not miss weight per se.
Leaving the weigh in area for any reason without getting your weight recorded can/does disqualify you from being able to go back to weigh in.

I have seen this happen before where an athlete left the weigh in area to grab their skin check form that was left in the stands. That was at a D1 district tournament maybe 12 years ago. Since they left the weigh in area without a weight they were pulled from the tournament.
Left the weigh in area and returned 50 minutes later…. I can understand if she returned in a reasonable amount of time but she did not. She should not have been allowed to compete.

Thanks for posting.

I was unaware that situations like this (moving an individual to a different sectional apart from his/her team competition site) had happened before.

Mr. Rugg commented that there are “a dozen instances where we have let schools/wrestlers into this year’s tournament after the deadline for a plethora of reasons.

With this being the case, can someone point me to the direction of one of these instances? Moreover, I think it is now up to Mr. Rugg to provide the documentation for such instances. Surely, he has receipts.

Beau Ruggs email answer to a group of coaches that emailed him Saturday

All,

This wrestler was not allowed to weigh-in at Clyde per rule 4-5-3 because she and her coach did not follow protocol in asking permission because of this issue. If they would have asked for this reason, they would have been granted permission. Spare me your judgement on where you saw her unless you saw her riding a stationary bike trying to make weight (which is what the rule is written to prevent). All of you on this email have no idea how the timing of this biological condition affects the individual.

Placing a wrestler in any tournament event is not a rule. It is policy governed by this office. We had a situation in a boys sectional where a wrestler was assigned to a sectional on Friday night and he was not coming off concussion protocol until Saturday. We moved him to a Saturday sectional. There are over a dozen instances where we have let schools/wrestlers into this year’s tournament after the deadline for a plethora of reasons. Those decisions are made in our office and are not made by coaches or our state rules interpreter.

I only have empathy for Coach Gilbert as per the unique nature of "open draws," he made a strategic decision that was affected by this. That is unfortunate.

I appreciate your efforts for the wrestlers in your communities and wish you all good fortune in the tournament.

Beau

Beau Rugg
Director of Officiating and Sport Management
brugg@ohsaa.org
P: 614-549-6958
So if a wrestler suffers a possible concussion and is removed from the tournament, can they request the tournament to be suspended until they can be cleared since other athletes have been accommodated to be able to compete around their concussion?

"Placing a wrestler in any tournament event is not a rule. It is policy governed by this office."

Covered.

When we got that email the first thing that hit me was:

This wrestler was not allowed to weigh-in at Clyde per rule 4-5-3 because she and her coach did not follow protocol in asking permission because of this issue

So he even admitted that a rule had been violated and because of that a wrestler was not permitted to compete, but they just ignore the rule and punishment and let them anyway. This has been on par with OHSAA this year as I know they have ignored or swept under the rug things like this and complaints (with evidence) of teams with ineligible wrestlers who are still wrestling. This all could come to bite them in the near future because it is not just coaches fed up with it, officials are getting tired of it too.