Disqualified wrestler advances, while 2nd wrestler is Disqualified after tournament (same weight)!

What about the 2nd girl? How is she still disqualified, but this other girl is allowed to wrestle? 1 made weight and qualified in her team assigned Pre Regional. 1 did not make weight initially and qualified at a Pre Regional different than her team. 1 will not be wrestling this this weekend and the other will.
We need more info

Who knows if ohsaa and Rugg telling the truth on the situation, they will lie and lie and then lie some more to cover their tracks.

Dustin Ware is the OHSAA wrestling administrator. Maybe he has to have a "come to Jesus" meeting with Beau.
dware@ohsaa.org
Beau is above Dustin.

Above Beau is Doug Ute, the executive director of the OHSAA. Unfortunately someone switched out his Velcro shoes with laced ones, so his brain is busy at the moment and can’t deal with this situation.

Above Doug (and everyone) is the board of directors, but I highly doubt they care. Still, that’d be the best bet to fix any issues.

There definitely appears to be something fishy, the first girl blatantly broke a common rule and gets a pass? People need to speak up.

Well as for the first girl Rugg stated the words "biological condition" so it must be something that only females have to deal with. We can pretty much guess what that condition may be. I guess in his opinion the wrestler and coach misinterpreted the rule, which would have been given an ok, due to the condition, so he felt it only fair to give the wrestler a mulligan.
2nd wrestler may have broken a rule set for ALL wrestlers regardless of gender and was therefore disqualified. Won't know for sure until it comes out later.
Nobody knows for sure...yet...if ever.

Beau is above Dustin.

Above Beau is Doug Ute, the executive director of the OHSAA. Unfortunately someone switched out his Velcro shoes with laced ones, so his brain is busy at the moment and can’t deal with this situation.

Above Doug (and everyone) is the board of directors, but I highly doubt they care. Still, that’d be the best bet to fix any issues.
I sent an email to Dustin and I received an automatic reply that he is no longer with OSHAA

There definitely appears to be something fishy, the first girl blatantly broke a common rule and gets a pass? People need to speak up.
As said before Yappi isn't gonna get word very far. If you want outrage, post up on Wrestle Like A Girl's platforms. They're following is enormous.

Rules are rules and I get it. Has anyone thought about the young girl? She will be booed and ostracized by some. What's done is done. Imo. Accountable for decisions made can come later.

I can't fathom allowing someone in concussion protocol being allowed to qualify outside the rules. WTF

Allow some time to digest and make the appropriate decisions. Have we lost the ability to uphold the standards of High School wresting? I'm sorry to say we have lost some of our core values. Imo

No one person is bigger than wrestling. Wrestling is the oldest sport known to man. We all will survive and participates will keep climbing that mountain. Isn't that what we enjoy?

Rules are rules and I get it. Has anyone thought about the young girl? She will be booed and ostracized by some. What's done is done. Imo. Accountable for decisions made can come later.

I can't fathom allowing someone in concussion protocol being allowed to qualify outside the rules. WTF

Allow some time to digest and make the appropriate decisions. Have we lost the ability to uphold the standards of High School wresting? I'm sorry to say we have lost some of our core values. Imo

No one person is bigger than wrestling. Wrestling is the oldest sport known to man. We all will survive and participates will keep climbing that mountain. Isn't that what we enjoy?
I’m sure most would agree that we aren’t after the Sandusky wrestler or her coach. While they broke the rules (knowing or not) she wanted to compete so they reached out. Could they have accepted their mistake? Yes. Do I understand why they didn’t? Mostly.

We are after Rugg. Rules are put in place and he chose to override and change the future layout of how these girls tournaments are viewed. Rugg has a job to oversee these rules and uphold them. However, he has chosen not to and has also DQ’d another wrestler for questionable (at this time) reasons. When does Rugg and his actions come to review? Why do we as fans/competitors have to “be the bigger person” and let this slide?

I’ve seen friends, teammates, and other competitors have their season ended by many things (Skin, injuries, missed weight). Some they have control over, others not. They never got a second chance so why does another?

I sure hope no one goes after the Sandusky wrestler nor her coach. This is on Rugg and OHSAA’s hands now

Last edited:
I’m sure most would agree that we aren’t after the Sandusky wrestler or her coach. While they broke the rules (knowing or not) she wanted to compete so they reached out. Could they have accepted their mistake? Yes. Do I understand why they didn’t? Mostly.

We are after Rugg. Rules are put in place and he chose to override and change the future layout of how these girls tournaments are viewed. Rugg has a job to oversee these rules and uphold them. However, he has chosen not to and has also DQ’d another wrestler for questionable (at this time) reasons. When does Rugg and his actions come to review? Why do we as fans/competitors have to “be the bigger person” and let this slide?

I’ve seen friends, teammates, and other competitors have their season ended by many things (Skin, injuries, missed weight). Some they have control over, others not. They never got a second chance so why does another?

I sure hope no one goes after the Sandusky wrestler nor her coach. This is on Rugg and OHSAA’s hands now
I agree with you on not going after the wrestler but the coach is fair game. Coaches should know the rules and know not to put their wrestler in a situation like this. The coach could have gone to the weigh in official and tournament director and explained the situation and gotten permission to leave the weigh in area and return quickly.

The part that gets me is that from reports she was gone somewhere between 45-50 minutes. That seems like a LONG time to be gone for any reason other than being overweight and doing something to lose the weight. I firmly believe that had she been gone 5 minutes the people on here who are upset would not be and would even be defending her.

The biggest issue is that with a rule like this there can't be exceptions. I've seen wrestlers with obvious acne or eczema be held out of events because they didn't have paperwork. I've also seen officials allow a wrestler with ringworm just tape over it and wrestle. Once you let exceptions then it loses all credibility as a rule. From this point on, every wrestler who leaves the weigh in area will always expect to be allowed to wrestle as long as their coach contacts the OHSAA. Rugg opened Pandora's Box on this one.

The second girl was disqualified for an improper “weight decent”. It’s truly heartbreaking as this is her senior year and she has worked so hard, devastating actually. It’s disappointing that an exception can be made for a state runner up but not another. She made the scratch weight, and hadn’t even been trying to get down to that weight prior, it was a last minute decision of her coaches since she was losing the weight naturally on her own. Her alpha even allowed for her to get down to 94lbs through the season. To the coaches who decided to make an example of her for their personal gain, I hope you feel good about yourself. I’m not going to say she should not have to follow the rules, but it stings extra hard knowing how far they stretched for another girl, and she really is innocent in all this.

Last edited:
From my understanding she was originally 105 and went up to 115 before then cutting back down to the 105 pound weight class. Now I could be wrong that is just what I’ve heard. What id love to know if that is the case is how are we going to disqualify one girl who didn’t follow the rules and not the other who broke one as well?
FYI, she never was 105 beforehand, she was originally 115, then went down to 110, then 105.

Improper weight descent? I trust there was some kind of rule violation with her weight loss plan, however, the girl gets the death penalty for that? Why isn’t there an option for this girl to compete at another weight class?

The time to report or challenge something like that would be before the post season entry deadline. The wrestler would then have the opportunity to compete at another weight class if there was proof of a violation. Waiting until after the Pre Regional to DQ her should not be allowed. Getting a lawyer involved is appropriate here if the girl is a senior. There is some ownership to take fault, but if Beau Rugg allowed one girl to slide he needs to make an exception here too

Improper weight descent? I trust there was some kind of rule violation with her weight loss plan, however, the girl gets the death penalty for that? Why isn’t there an option for this girl to compete at another weight class?

The time to report or challenge something like that would be before the post season entry deadline. The wrestler would then have the opportunity to compete at another weight class if there was proof of a violation. Waiting until after the Pre Regional to DQ her should not be allowed. Getting a lawyer involved is appropriate here if the girl is a senior. There is some ownership to take fault, but if Beau Rugg allowed one girl to slide he needs to make an exception here too
Wasn't there a kid DQ'd from state (i want to say d2 or d3) last year after going 106 or 113 improperly at sectionals and didn't get caught until after qualifying?

For the improper weight descent…what if she had been sick for the last week and lost a bunch of weight from puking and not eating due to being sick. That’s out of her control.

Wasn't there a kid DQ'd from state (i want to say d2 or d3) last year after going 106 or 113 improperly at sectionals and didn't get caught until after qualifying?
Northmor 106 in d3. Wrestled/ weighed in at 120 when WLP allowed him to be 106. He was 2 weights above his minimum at the time he was allowed to be 106, thus forfeiting his lowest allowable weight of 106 and making his new one 113. It was not "caught" until the week of state when he was already on the bracket. I don't know how anyone found out, he certified at 106 prior to sectional.

Update - OSHAA is not backing down on this ruling. This is happening because of cowards. There is so much detail behind this decision that is not being shared. I have submitted medical research, 122 examples, and hired an attorney. There are more people involved than just the people mentioned. I could go on and on but I’m not going to. I hope everyone involved is truly proud of themselves for destroying a young girls senior year. As for the Sandusky team. I was there and the versions that are out are “rumors”. I’m not going to say anything about it because it truly is a different circumstance and it’s not my place. I hold no ill will towards Sandusky or their wrestlers. Unfortunately they are mentioned along with this situation because of it happening at the same tournament. At this point I’m not done fighting but focusing on what I can control. Since the tournament will obviously be missing one of the best 105 pound girls, OHWAY is having a Girls Open State tournament on March 16th. If you think she doesn’t belong or her weight is a “fluke” come and prove it…..

Last edited:
I'm truly confused as to why the second wrestler was DQ'd. The rule is copied from the OHSAA site and pasted below. If I have been reading correctly it sounds like they are saying she was below her allowed weight for the day but the underlined part of the rule says that is perfectly fine as long as she isn't going to a lower weight class than what is allowed.

Also, many people have said that if a wrestler ever weighs in 2 weight classes above their minimum they lose that minimum weight class. That is not necessarily true. They must also COMPETE 2 weights above to lose their minimum. A coach could pull a kid from the event if the wrestler weighed enough to lose their minimum weight and save them from losing it,

1.77) Weight Class Descent - If at any time during the season a wrestler weighs in and competes at a weight class more than one weight class above the minimum weight class for that day according to his/her weight loss plan, he/she shall forfeit the minimum weight class corresponding to that day and any subsequent lower weight class(es) remaining on the weight loss plan. A wrestler may weigh less than their weight loss plan allows for that day, but they cannot compete in a weight class lower than the weight class prescribed by their weight loss plan.

I'm truly confused as to why the second wrestler was DQ'd. The rule is copied from the OHSAA site and pasted below. If I have been reading correctly it sounds like they are saying she was below her allowed weight for the day but the underlined part of the rule says that is perfectly fine as long as she isn't going to a lower weight class than what is allowed.

Also, many people have said that if a wrestler ever weighs in 2 weight classes above their minimum they lose that minimum weight class. That is not necessarily true. They must also COMPETE 2 weights above to lose their minimum. A coach could pull a kid from the event if the wrestler weighed enough to lose their minimum weight and save them from losing it,

1.77) Weight Class Descent - If at any time during the season a wrestler weighs in and competes at a weight class more than one weight class above the minimum weight class for that day according to his/her weight loss plan, he/she shall forfeit the minimum weight class corresponding to that day and any subsequent lower weight class(es) remaining on the weight loss plan. A wrestler may weigh less than their weight loss plan allows for that day, but they cannot compete in a weight class lower than the weight class prescribed by their weight loss plan.
That's the problem it's not explained very well if you talk to 30 coaches you will get 30 different responses and most will say you didn't do anything wrong.

For the improper weight descent…what if she had been sick for the last week and lost a bunch of weight from puking and not eating due to being sick. That’s out of her control.

Attachments

• IMG_0936.jpeg
    IMG_0936.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 55
From the rumor mill. Norwalk 105 girl supposedly weighed in at 116.8 at the Fremont Tournament on 1/20/24 for the 115lb class and competed there. At that time her minimum weight class according to her decent plan was 100? 105? As a result of weighing in and competing 2 weight classes above her minimum weight she forfeited the 100 and 105 weight classes and was only eligible to wrestle 110 or above.

Not sure why this wasn't brought up prior to the Pre-regional and allowed her to compete. Someone had it out to "get" this girl and prevent her from competing and reported the violation to the state.

As addressed in another thread maybe Ohio needs to start requiring coaches to put in records and weights into the system weekly. I know other states require it. And then maybe Track won't allow you to enter a girl/boy in a weight they're not eligible for without an override selection. Something that says "If you choose to override this weight class, your wrestlers will no longer be eligible for X weights" Food for thought

From the rumor mill. Norwalk 105 girl supposedly weighed in at 116.8 at the Fremont Tournament on 1/20/24 for the 115lb class and competed there. At that time her minimum weight class according to her decent plan was 100? 105? As a result of weighing in and competing 2 weight classes above her minimum weight she forfeited the 100 and 105 weight classes and was only eligible to wrestle 110 or above.

Not sure why this wasn't brought up prior to the Pre-regional and allowed her to compete. Someone had it out to "get" this girl and prevent her from competing and reported the violation to the state.

As addressed in another thread maybe Ohio needs to start requiring coaches to put in records and weights into the system weekly. I know other states require it. And then maybe Track won't allow you to enter a girl/boy in a weight they're not eligible for without an override selection. Something that says "If you choose to override this weight class, your wrestlers will no longer be eligible for X weights" Food for thought
Right, I want a guaranteed proof that no other wrestler participating this weekend is breaking their “rule”.

Coaches should’ve know she had to be under 112 to remain eligible for 105…. These wrestlers rely on their coaches and it’s their job to know and understand the rules.