GWOC 2023-2024

Well, I did some research and I was actually right. Beavercreek, Fairmont, Northmont, and Miamisburg has never beaten Wayne on Wayne's floor.

Wayne has only lost 14 times at its current home which includes non league games and has an 86% winning percentage. Centerville probably has a comparable winning percentage at there place over this time span but not sure about that maybe someone with time can figure it out over the last 11 seasons...... well I did it. Centerville has lost 26 home games during that same span which is a bit surprising..... so does Wayne have the best home court advantage of any GWOC school?

Last edited:
Clearly, and I'm open to consider that perhaps Northmont is better than they've shown all season, as well. But I doubt it... In fact, just checked the Bolt's schedule and other that beating Wayne at home early in the season, they don't have another good W on their record.
Maybe, but with Jamar out, that was a big hole in the Centerville offense.

Maybe, but with Jamar out, that was a big hole in the Centerville offense.
I understand teams lose and we all search for reasons, especially when we deem it is a loss they shouldn't take, but this one is a bit of a stretch even for a Centerville supporter. Montgomery is a nice player who fills a role for sure. But he is the fourth leading scorer who never handles the ball and none of his baskets, that I recall, have come outside of 3' from the basket. Yes he had a big half against Beavercreek but it was because Creek was leaving him so his man could attempt to take charges. He had 14 points in the half as a result. Arguing that his loss was a "big hole" in the offense just isn't accurate. No question, it effects depth for Centerville, especially when their 7th man quit the team, and Montgomery is a key defender, but the offense? I don't see that.

Last edited:
I understand teams lose and we all search for reasons, especially when we deem it is a loss they shouldn't take, but this one is a bit of a stretch even for a Centerville supporter. Montgomery is a nice player who fills a role for sure. But he is the fourth leading scorer who never handles the ball and none of his baskets, that I recall, have come outside of 3' from the basket. Yes he had a big half against Beavercreek but it was because Creek was leaving him so his man could attempt to take charges. He had 14 points in the half as a result. Arguing that his loss was a "big hole" in the offense just isn't accurate. No question, it effects depth for Centerville, especially when their 7th man quit the team, and Montgomery is a key defender, but the offense? I don't see that.
What player quit?

Thinking Beavercreek is the 2nd best team in Dayton is crazy!!
Care to throw a 2nd best team out there in Dayton for D1? The other contenders are their GWOC brethren in Springboro, Fairmont, and Wayne. I could maybe see an argument for Wayne, but they are still only 9-7, and as Vamps pointed out, they play exceptionally well at home and are 3-6 away from it (although one was only a 3-pt loss at Elder). Beavercreek's losses are twice to Centerville and on the road at Alter and Wayne. They also have wins at Hamilton and vs. Lakota West at a neutral site

Thinking Beavercreek is the 2nd best team in Dayton is crazy!!
Can't see how it's crazy. My opinion is Wayne is probably better but the records don't really match that. And even still that would only make them third. So how is it crazy? Are you putting Fairmont or Springboro ahead of them? A non-gwoc team?

Ohhhhhh my bad it's not crazy... I thought you was talking about all schools in Dayton not just D1. Wayne's strength of schedule is Top 5 in D1 per Martin's RPI. They lost to Centerville by 6, Lutheran West by 1, Beavercreek by 2, Elder by 3, all these teams are ranked in the state. I don't know if I would classify them as being the the #2 team in Dayton based on how they can never figure out how to win close games. I think Wayne will be scary come tournament time though because they are battle tested.

Beavercreek looked really good last night. I missed the 1st quarter, so don't know how they got down so big but played well the rest of the way. Unlike the other times I've seen them, they were moving the ball and taking advantage of what the defense was giving instead of forcing the issue.

Ohhhhhh my bad it's not crazy... I thought you was talking about all schools in Dayton not just D1. Wayne's strength of schedule is Top 5 in D1 per Martin's RPI. They lost to Centerville by 6, Lutheran West by 1, Beavercreek by 2, Elder by 3, all these teams are ranked in the state. I don't know if I would classify them as being the the #2 team in Dayton based on how they can never figure out how to win close games. I think Wayne will be scary come tournament time though because they are battle tested.
So who do you think is number 2? Even taking out divisions. Alter? That I agree with but it still puts Creek 3rd right so not exactly crazy. I am asking because if there are other teams, I would want to catch a game. I haven't seen any nor do the rankings support anyone.

I took the crazy back!!! LOL.
1. Centerville
2. Alter
3. Wayne/Beavercreek- They split this season but I'm leaning towards Wayne more because of their strength of schedule is tougher than Creek
4. Trotwood
5. Fairmont

My apologies. I was genuinely asking as I don't get to see everyone but if there was another team, I wanted to hear about them. For the most part, I agree with that list.

Beavercreek looked really good last night. I missed the 1st quarter, so don't know how they got down so big but played well the rest of the way. Unlike the other times I've seen them, they were moving the ball and taking advantage of what the defense was giving instead of forcing the issue.

Rebounding.... X was getting offensive boards and their big guy was converting. Offense, Creek was throwing up three's and they weren't hitting.... X led 17-4 at one point before Creek started the comeback.....

Wayne got off to a slow start against Meadowdale but pulled away in the 2nd half. Looks like they were developing the 6'6" kid who got lots of minutes and scored double figures.

Wayne got off to a slow start against Meadowdale but pulled away in the 2nd half. Looks like they were developing the 6'6" kid who got lots of minutes and scored double figures.
I'm mostly impressed that it sounds like you were at both games! Not sure how it's possible but well done.

I don't think it was a fluke. Centerville seems to get very frustrated by teams that slow it down and milk minutes off the clock. They then force things on offense leading to bad shots, no rebounding and turnovers. Northmont did the same thing and I don't see any reason Fairmont won't again tonight. I would hope Centerville comes out with a little more fire than they have in most of their GWOC games and if so, it may be different but given the season, I would expect a close game.

I don't think it was a fluke. Centerville seems to get very frustrated by teams that slow it down and milk minutes off the clock. They then force things on offense leading to bad shots, no rebounding and turnovers. Northmont did the same thing and I don't see any reason Fairmont won't again tonight. I would hope Centerville comes out with a little more fire than they have in most of their GWOC games and if so, it may be different but given the season, I would expect a close game.
From my recollection of the first game, I don't recall Fairmont slowing it down that much. The game started out in the first quarter with Centerville getting an 11-pt lead and they looked to be on their way to a convincing win. But the game has 4 quarters and Fairmont just out-played and out-hustled the Elks the rest of the game. Hopefully the Elks will have Montgomery back who missed the Northmont game. He provides high-percentage short-range shooting, 7.9 pts, 80% foul shooting, and solid defense. I saw your report that the 7th man quit the team, so that and some earlier puzzling starting lineups and another player missing for a couple of games makes me wonder if there is some discontent/attitude/friction on the team. Hope I'm wrong about that. Go Elks.

Last edited:
From my recollection of the first game, I don't recall Fairmont slowing it down that much. The game started out in the first quarter with Centerville getting an 11-pt lead and they looked to be on their way to a convincing win. But the game has 4 quarters and Fairmont just out-played and out-hustled the Elks the rest of the game. Hopefully the Elks will have Montgomery back who missed the Northmont game. He provides high-percentage short-range shooting, 7.9 pts, 80% foul shooting, and solid defense. I saw your report that the 7th man quit the team, so that and some earlier puzzling starting lineups and another player missing for a couple of games makes me wonder if there is some discontent/attitude/friction on the team. Hope I'm wrong about that. Go Elks.
I don't think Fairmont did it deliberately but it is their general style of play. However, I do think your point about the rotating lineup has some merit. If I recall correctly, the only game Centerville has dropped with their main starting five (Powell, Njie, Greenberg, Greenberg and Montgomery) was the double ot loss to St. Ignatius where they clearly still played well.

Since Ignatius, Elks appear to be getting worse. Very surprised at that, given all the young players who should be improving. Wayne, at home, should beat them. After that, ??? Districts & Regionals should be quite interesting. I hate to put it this way...but nobody's anygood.
I went and watched the NFHS of Centerville-Fairmont after I heard how it finished. Centerville doesn’t play any defense. They will still get a practical bye to districts, but the Cincinnati teams won’t avoid them in the same way this year and they’ll have to beat someone like a Sycamore or Winton Woods, who are good teams.

I went and watched the NFHS of Centerville-Fairmont after I heard how it finished. Centerville doesn’t play any defense. They will still get a practical bye to districts, but the Cincinnati teams won’t avoid them in the same way this year and they’ll have to beat someone like a Sycamore or Winton Woods, who are good teams.
Are they? Nothing indicates they are better than the GWOC teams. Sycamore barely beat Mason. And Centerville beat Isidore Newman after St Ignatius.

Are they? Nothing indicates they are better than the GWOC teams. Sycamore barely beat Mason. And Centerville beat Isidore Newman after St Ignatius.
Centerville has 2 GWOC losses and just narrowly avoided a 3rd on a thrown-in prayer, so even if Sycamore and Winton Woods aren’t any better than the GWOC teams, that’s still good enough to beat Centerville on a given day. Sycamore won at Fairmont by 10 btw.

Right now, I don't see anybody beating Moeller. The Centerville win is starting to look like a fluke.
I do think Centerville is the only team capable of beating Moeller at this point in SWO, but they’ll have to shoot the lights out to do it. Moeller is a legit state title contender. I’m not sure Centerville is. They’ll also be on opposite ends of the bracket and would only meet in a Regional Final.

Bucket should have not counted

Attachments

• IMG_3622.jpeg
    IMG_3622.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3625.png
    IMG_3625.png
    478.7 KB · Views: 62