GWOC 2023-2024

Belmont won in 1964 with Don May and Bill Hosket on that team.
Bingo!! Considered the best team to ever come out of the Dayton area! Technically there are 4 from that list if you want to count Xenia Central from 1941 with legendary coach Tom Blackburn! However that school is not open anymore.

Can tell some frustrations starting to set in from the ol firebirds. Lost tonight against rival Alter dropping their 4th straight game. Little pushing an shoving by some fairmont kids at the end of the game tells me about the locker room at this point.
I don't know. I think the Alter team may have t do some should searching as well. Lost to fenwick and won by 3 to a Fairmont team barely over 500 in a down GWOC. Not a good look going in to the tournament for a team ranked in the state.

I don't know. I think the Alter team may have t do some should searching as well. Lost to fenwick and won by 3 to a Fairmont team barely over 500 in a down GWOC. Not a good look going in to the tournament for a team ranked in the state.
Their main competition, Wyoming, just lost to Elder and X back-to-back too, getting blown out by X and losing a competitive one against Elder. D1 teams may be better than they get credit for too.

If that is really what you want, you guys are doing a great job. Losing four straight, maybe 5, heading into the draw was a great strategy to ensure the 5 or 6 seed and get another crack at them. Sure it plays well in the locker room. Also, losing all those games in a row, including to Miamisburg, and 8 games overall and you think you have found your coach? Expectations are pretty low I think
I still don't know about that dude as a coach at Fairmont. When he was hired I know a lot of people were scratching their heads when they looked at his small school record. Even more so when a cpl names came out of who applied. I get he is a grad that was probably the deciding factor. I know some of his assistant hires have not worked out too well. However, has been able to get them to make some runs. Then again I think Albright's record in the league was average as well and also made a cpl runs. I don't think he has improved the program seems to have kept it about the same with a different offense and defense.

I still don't know about that dude as a coach at Fairmont. When he was hired I know a lot of people were scratching their heads when they looked at his small school record. Even more so when a cpl names came out of who applied. I get he is a grad that was probably the deciding factor. I know some of his assistant hires have not worked out too well. However, has been able to get them to make some runs. Then again I think Albright's record in the league was average as well and also made a cpl runs. I don't think he has improved the program seems to have kept it about the same with a different offense and defense.
All you have to look at is how well his teams have played Centerville. Two wins and a few very competitive games during a period where Centerville has dominated the area.

All you have to look at is how well his teams have played Centerville. Two wins and a few very competitive games during a period where Centerville has dominated the area.
That's all it takes? Just ignore the other 7 games they lost? I am not even saying he isn't good, although against Alter I thought he was awful, but his record isn't good. Empirically, if 6th in the league with 8 losses overall, including a stretch of four in a row, is exceptional, maybe the standards are a little low.
Also, when did they get the second win? I know they beat them this season. When was the other one?

They were a legit top 10 team in the state 2 years ago with only a D1 walk-on and a D2 guy as their best players. He can coach. I believe his brother is at Kings too, right?

I have to disagree... That dude is a hell of a ball coach!!! He's not coaching any D1 kids or getting any D1 transfers like other schools in the area. He consistently has his kids in games they have no business being in based off talent. That right their is COACHING!!! Give him 2 or 3 D1 kids like some of your favorite programs and nobody would want to play him.

I have to disagree... That dude is a hell of a ball coach!!! He's not coaching any D1 kids or getting any D1 transfers like other schools in the area. He consistently has his kids in games they have no business being in based off talent. That right their is COACHING!!! Give him 2 or 3 D1 kids like some of your favorite programs and nobody would want to play him.
Albright did pretty much the same thing. Point is when a new coach comes in, you hope for some improvement when a team is pretty much always middle of the pack. You just don't see that record wise. In basketball any team with 2-3 D1 kids will be tough to beat no matter who the coach is.

They were a legit top 10 team in the state 2 years ago with only a D1 walk-on and a D2 guy as their best players. He can coach. I believe his brother is at Kings too, right?
Yeah I think that's where his brother is.

The 3 GWOC games I watched.......

Wayne dominates Fairmont on the road. Leading by as much as 25 points.
Beavercreek goes on the road and annihilates Northmont putting a running clock on them.
Springboro struggles early going down double digits but has a strong third quarter to lift them to a win over a much improved Belmont.

Going to be interesting who gets the 3rd seed.....

The 3 GWOC games I watched.......

Wayne dominates Fairmont on the road. Leading by as much as 25 points.
Beavercreek goes on the road and annihilates Northmont putting a running clock on them.
Springboro struggles early going down double digits but has a strong third quarter to lift them to a win over a much improved Belmont.

Going to be interesting who gets the 3rd seed.....
Not sure it's that interesting. The computer says it's Springboro. Wayne is 4. They will likely end up in the same sectional bracket anyway so probably makes no difference.

But what would be more interesting is if Centerville passes to jump a team. Long shot but is it possible they look around and notice the two easiest GWOC games they had (other than Miamisburg and Springfield) were against the #2 seed Beavercreek? Would they pass to get in their bracket? Probably not but something to think about.

My guess is Centerville is in with the #5 seed Northmont in one sectional. Beavercreek and Fairmont are in together in another. And Wayne and Springboro go in the third (which will likely get Moeller at Districts). I think Wayne is better than Beavercreek but based on seeding that's how I expect it will go. Fun to see tomorrow.

Last edited:
Maybe I was on to something as the birds got blown out at home last night 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ dropping what their 5 straight???

Not sure it's that interesting. The computer says it's Springboro. Wayne is 4. They will likely end up in the same sectional bracket anyway so probably makes no difference.

But what would be more interesting is if Centerville passes to jump a team. Long shot but is it possible they look around and notice the two easiest GWOC games they had (other than Miamisburg and Springfield) were against the #2 seed Beavercreek? Would they pass to get in their bracket? Probably not but something to think about.

My guess is Centerville is in with the #5 seed Northmont in one sectional. Beavercreek and Fairmont are in together in another. And Wayne and Springboro go in the third (which will likely get Moeller at Districts). I think Wayne is better than Beavercreek but based on seeding that's how I expect it will go. Fun to see tomorrow.

Interesting to me since I have not looked at the Maxprep ratings once this season. You are right, makes no difference #3 or #4. As for who is going where that could get a bit sticky. I am sure most of the Dayton contenders will know where Moeller is going and I am sure they will pick a Dayton bracket rather than the odd Cincy bracket for regionals...... Centerville goes in 1 bracket, Creek into the other..... Boro definitely I see goes to the 3rd but then where would Wayne go? Do they go Springboro who beat them twice or avoid a possible Moe match-up and in with Beavercreek. Or depending on how there game goes with Centerville next week would they dare go in there??? And where Wayne goes would likely effect #5 and #6 (Fairmont, Northmont if that is the seeds they get.... have no idea where Lebanon falls in those ratings but Lebanon is a team that could make some noise against GWOC schools..... I see them going in with Springboro if it is not to clustered by then)

Everyone else really doesn't matter much...... Can Sidney make some noise? Belmont is improved but do they have enough to upset someone in the first round? Stebbins have some talent but they don't seem to be able to put it together for a full game.....

Maybe I was on to something as the birds got blown out at home last night 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ dropping what their 5 straight???

10 minutes into the game when Wayne missed their 2nd shot of the night. When Wayne decides to play defense and their top two players are making shots they are tough to beat. I was not expecting Wayne to win this game but if they can keep that performance going I think they make it out of Districts....

Interesting to me since I have not looked at the Maxprep ratings once this season. You are right, makes no difference #3 or #4. As for who is going where that could get a bit sticky. I am sure most of the Dayton contenders will know where Moeller is going and I am sure they will pick a Dayton bracket rather than the odd Cincy bracket for regionals...... Centerville goes in 1 bracket, Creek into the other..... Boro definitely I see goes to the 3rd but then where would Wayne go? Do they go Springboro who beat them twice or avoid a possible Moe match-up and in with Beavercreek. Or depending on how there game goes with Centerville next week would they dare go in there??? And where Wayne goes would likely effect #5 and #6 (Fairmont, Northmont if that is the seeds they get.... have no idea where Lebanon falls in those ratings but Lebanon is a team that could make some noise against GWOC schools..... I see them going in with Springboro if it is not to clustered by then)

Everyone else really doesn't matter much...... Can Sidney make some noise? Belmont is improved but do they have enough to upset someone in the first round? Stebbins have some talent but they don't seem to be able to put it together for a full game.....
The game next week won't matter. All results are in and the draw is tomorrow. I agree it will be interesting but I'd still be surprised if it just doesn't end up 1 and 5, 2 and 6, 3 and 4 in with each other. Glad you mentioned the non GWOC teams. I haven't seen any. Are there any that can upset the top 6 seeds?

I expected Wayne to win last night vs Fairmont... I didn't expect them to put on a clinic!! They made Fairmont look pretty bad!! I still believe Fairmont's coach will get them ready to play come tournament time.

The game next week won't matter. All results are in and the draw is tomorrow. I agree it will be interesting but I'd still be surprised if it just doesn't end up 1 and 5, 2 and 6, 3 and 4 in with each other. Glad you mentioned the non GWOC teams. I haven't seen any. Are there any that can upset the top 6 seeds?
If the brackets end up like this... How soon would these teams face each other???

If the brackets end up like this... How soon would these teams face each other???
Sectional final.

Vamp, one note is that all 3 Dayton sectional winners will play Cincinnati teams in the district. Moeller and Centerville will know where each other is going and will avoid a matchup until the regional final; however, one of the Dayton sectional winners will have to play Moeller. There is a chance some of the Dayton seeds in the 3-5 range avoid this sectional, but we’ll see. I imagine Elder, as the #2 seed in Cincinnati, will pick a Dayton opponent for their district. A bit of a wild card as for who Centerville would matchup with as Goshen is the #4 seed and X is #5, and there might be some very interesting bracket choices with all of the teams coming after them.

Sectional final.

Vamp, one note is that all 3 Dayton sectional winners will play Cincinnati teams in the district. Moeller and Centerville will know where each other is going and will avoid a matchup until the regional final; however, one of the Dayton sectional winners will have to play Moeller. There is a chance some of the Dayton seeds in the 3-5 range avoid this sectional, but we’ll see. I imagine Elder, as the #2 seed in Cincinnati, will pick a Dayton opponent for their district. A bit of a wild card as for who Centerville would matchup with as Goshen is the #4 seed and X is #5, and there might be some very interesting bracket choices with all of the teams coming after them.

not necessarily..... The 3 Dayton winners will play 3 Cincy winners but that still leaves 2 other Cincy winners. If Moe wanted, they could choose that all Cincy bracket knowing that the other Cincy teams would avoid it and leaving them with a more favorable match-up. Basically, instead of Moe playing the #3 team in Dayton they could play the #9 or #10 team in Cincy.......

Yeah, I know they don't matter but I am talking about bracket placement. If Wayne defeats Centerville and fills comfortable they could do it again in the tourney they just might decide to go into the ELKS bracket taking a chance of an easier District Final game as well as easier first and second round games in sectionals. I don't think this will happen though and I agree with your 1-6, 2-5, 3-4 set up......

As for non GWOC schools.... Lebanon has looked really good in the two games I have seen them play. They are plenty capable of knocking off the GWOC teams but I hear they are very inconsistent. As for that other league...... I really don't see any of those teams beating the top 6 GWOC schools.... maybe Sidney has an outside shot. Stebbins has the weapons to do it but they continue to underachieve especially last night against Butler.

not necessarily..... The 3 Dayton winners will play 3 Cincy winners but that still leaves 2 other Cincy winners. If Moe wanted, they could choose that all Cincy bracket knowing that the other Cincy teams would avoid it and leaving them with a more favorable match-up. Basically, instead of Moe playing the #3 team in Dayton they could play the #9 or #10 team in Cincy.......
I can guarantee you they will select a Dayton opponent for their district path.

I can guarantee you they will select a Dayton opponent for their district path.
You are probably right but what the other poster said makes sense. Since Cincinnati draws in a different location that Dayton, if Moeller goes up against Cincy at district the rest of the room will run to the other three district brackets. With Centerville already opposite them, they would have a cake walk to regionals. The 8-10 seeds out of Cincy are not as good as 2-4 from Dayton. It would be easier.

B
Yeah, I know they don't matter but I am talking about bracket placement. If Wayne defeats Centerville and fills comfortable they could do it again in the tourney they just might decide to go into the ELKS bracket taking a chance of an easier District Final game as well as easier first and second round games in sectionals. I don't think this will happen though and I agree with your 1-6, 2-5, 3-4 set up......

As for non GWOC schools.... Lebanon has looked really good in the two games I have seen them play. They are plenty capable of knocking off the GWOC teams but I hear they are very inconsistent. As for that other league...... I really don't see any of those teams beating the top 6 GWOC schools.... maybe Sidney has an outside shot. Stebbins has the weapons to do it but they continue to underachieve especially last night against Butler.
Bracket placement happens tomorrow