Elder Enrollment Strategy

I was in Mercy Anderson for a procedure on Monday overheard a nurse tell someone tuition for IHM was going up to $7k.
What a shame.

Now, I think it was in the Beacons thread, but I mentioned that this was probably going to happen to keep certain populations of students out of the schools. This is so sad to see.

What a shame.

Now, I think it was in the Beacons thread, but I mentioned that this was probably going to happen to keep certain populations of students out of the schools. This is so sad to see.
I had 3 kids go through IHM, last one graduated 2013. I don’t think we paid 7k total when all three were there at the same time.

this is all funny to read, but unless someone out there is an accountant in the schools, who has studied the ed choice. The only thing I can guarantee is all of the catholic grade schools will raise their tuition to somewhere above $6150, if they don’t they are leaving money on the table and no matter where you stand why would they give away free money. The high schools are now listing their tuition as the number they identify it costs to educate each student and then giving a scholarship to each student to bring it down to what the actual tuition would be, I am sure for the same reason. I would be willing to bet that in March Elder is going to list their tuition as somewhere in the neighborhood of $20,000 and each student will get a “Panther scholarship for around $6,000.

You think only 20% would close? Come on.... we have them closing now with Ed. Choice. The issue is, the schools are pricing themselves out of business. The only reason the schools agreed to take Ed Choice in the first place (years ago) is because they saw it was the only way to keep the doors open. Full tuition is simply not feasible for the average family.
Yeah, you might be correct if you include elementary schools. I feel like like the high schools would mostly combine more like Cleveland and other midwestern dioceses

this is all funny to read, but unless someone out there is an accountant in the schools, who has studied the ed choice. The only thing I can guarantee is all of the catholic grade schools will raise their tuition to somewhere above $6150, if they don’t they are leaving money on the table and no matter where you stand why would they give away free money. The high schools are now listing their tuition as the number they identify it costs to educate each student and then giving a scholarship to each student to bring it down to what the actual tuition would be, I am sure for the same reason. I would be willing to bet that in March Elder is going to list their tuition as somewhere in the neighborhood of $20,000 and each student will get a “Panther scholarship for around $6,000.
Where would that 6k panther scholarship money come from?

100% false... Elder is not going to follow suit of Moe and X and put funny numbers out there.

You have to admit it's confusing. The amount of the voucher changes every year. Who qualifies for it? It used to be income based only or you had to live in a failing school district and it was income based? You had to live in a failing school district only and it was a hard line of income based on size of family? Now, it is available to everyone regardless of where you live, correct, but the amount is tiered based on size of family and family income? The other confusing part, the old way did the family have to come up with the amount above the scholarship, or did the school have to cover it? Now, it seems it's just a scholarship and the family is on hook for the rest of the tuition. There would be 0 opinions about it if anyone truly understood all the ins and outs of this!
They removed the failing school district qualifications because at the time there were 150 school buildings failing in Ohio and not 1 of them was Catholic.The biggest reason there was 0 Catholic schools failing was because zero Catholic schools got tested for failing.

100% false... Elder is not going to follow suit of Moe and X and put funny numbers out there.
Are you telling me that somewhere in Elder’s financials there is not something that identifies the cost to educate each student.

I tell you what, if I am wrong in March I will come back and apologize to you, if they do something like this I expect the same from you.

Are you telling me that somewhere in Elder’s financials there is not something that identifies the cost to educate each student.

I tell you what, if I am wrong in March I will come back and apologize to you, if they do something like this I expect the same from you.
Not sure if that'll happen this year as I know letters with tuition costs, scholarships, snd Ed Choice were already sent to incoming freshman families. I doubt they'd make a change already.

The letters that went to potential incoming freshmen said”tuition cost this years was $13,300, we will let you know in March what tuition will be for next year”. They are already asking people to make a decision without officially know what they cost will be. They are already playing “funny numbers”

So after the EdChoice scholarship most families will qualify for, tuition will be about $800 a year there, give or take.
My last kid graduated McNick in 2017. I’m trying to understand how this works..I really haven’t paid attention to tuition since then..Are you saying all families regardless of income will qualify for the $6100 Ed Choice scholarship? I know there were some well off families attending both IHM and McNicholas. Always thought the scholarship was income based.

Are you saying all families regardless of income will qualify for the $6100 Ed Choice scholarship?
No. Based on family size, those with income at 450% or less of the federal poverty level qualify for the full $6160 for grade school tuition.

For a family of four, that’s an AGI of $135,000/ year.

My last kid graduated McNick in 2017. I’m trying to understand how this works..I really haven’t paid attention to tuition since then..Are you saying all families regardless of income will qualify for the $6100 Ed Choice scholarship? I know there were some well off families attending both IHM and McNicholas. Always thought the scholarship was income based.
Not regardless of income, but I'd imagine most families will qualify for that 6,150. It was expanded to everyone this year.

No. Based on family size, those with income at 450% or less of the federal poverty level qualify for the full $6160 for grade school tuition.

For a family of four, that’s an AGI of $135,000/ year.

Yeah and I believe you don't have to prove income every year. The way my son's school made it sound, I apply this year, get the full award and that last through high school whether I get a massive raise or new job or whatnot. I don't know that I believe that, but it's nice if true. :)

Yeah and I believe you don't have to prove income every year. The way my son's school made it sound, I apply this year, get the full award and that last through high school whether I get a massive raise or new job or whatnot. I don't know that I believe that, but it's nice if true. :)
I also heard you don’t have to verify income every year.

That certainly won’t last.

The letters that went to potential incoming freshmen said”tuition cost this years was $13,300, we will let you know in March what tuition will be for next year”. They are already asking people to make a decision without officially know what they cost will be. They are already playing “funny numbers”

If true, that is not cool.

Wow, ok. My good friend with an incoming freshman didn't read that letter very well.... That's where I got my info. My apologies.

The letters that went to potential incoming freshmen said ”tuition cost this years was $13,300, we will let you know in March what tuition will be for next year”. They are already asking people to make a decision without officially know what they cost will be. They are already playing “funny numbers”
This was my first inclination as well. Like how are you going to ask families to register when you have yet to share the cost?

But then I took a step back and tried to give all these schools the benefit of the doubt. I'd imagine this is the case EVERY year and they need to figure out how many students they will actually have, before they can identify the cost of tuition? At least I hope so.

Last edited:
This was my first inclination as well. Like how are you going to ask families to register when you have yet to share the cost?

But then I took a step back and tried to give all these schools the benefit of the doubt. I'd imagine this is the case EVERY year and they need to figure out how many students they will actually have, before they can identify the cost of tuition? At least I hope so.

My experience with multiple Catholic schools (not Cincy nor Elder), this is not how it works.

Thank you for actually taking a thoughtful approach instead of reacting emotionally and freaking out like some posters do.

My experience with multiple Catholic schools (not Cincy nor Elder), this is not how it works.
I don’t know how long ago your experience was but it’s been a while since I was a part of these planning processes for parishes and their schools. The landscape has changed dramatically in the last 30, 20 or even 10 years and I’m sure the planning process has had to change to meet the new dynamics. I agree it seems crazy to send out acceptance letters without being able to tell the families what it’s going to cost but I’m not going to sit here and second guess them with my limited knowledge of how things have to be done now. I’ve been away from it for too long and these parishes and schools are fighting keep themselves a viable option. Their continued existence depends on the decisions they are making today. Here’s a call out to IKS, because he/she sounds like someone who is still involved in parish finances. Maybe he could shed a little light on the planning process these days because I think HKS. 😁

I don’t know how long ago your experience was but it’s been a while since I was a part of these planning processes for parishes and their schools. The landscape has changed dramatically in the last 30, 20 or even 10 years and I’m sure the planning process has had to change to meet the new dynamics. I agree it seems crazy to send out acceptance letters without being able to tell the families what it’s going to cost but I’m not going to sit here and second guess them with my limited knowledge of how things have to be done now. I’ve been away from it for too long and these parishes and schools are fighting keep themselves a viable option. Their continued existence depends on the decision they are making today. Here’s a call out to IKS, because he/she sounds like some one who is still involved in parish finances. Maybe he could shed a little light on the planning process theses days because I think HKS. 😁

Ongoing as I still have a boy in HS. Tuition has always been established before commitment or re-enrollment.

For what it's worth, our parish’s grade school asked returning families to pay a registration fee over a month before sending out what tuition would be for next school year. So, it’s not totally unheard of, but a less financially impactful decision than high school tuition.

Last edited: