2021 St. Edward Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cancel the game and spend two weeks preparing for Ignatius if you can't find an opponent. Playing the game will cause more problems and adverse publicity.

Cancel the game and spend two weeks preparing for Ignatius if you can't find an opponent. Playing the game will cause more problems and adverse publicity.
Or play St. Ignatius twice. Only a matter of time u til this starts happening. Expanding playoff eligible teams won’t help in the scheduling difficulties.

Or play St. Ignatius twice. Only a matter of time u til this starts happening. Expanding playoff eligible teams won’t help in the scheduling difficulties.
Why do you say that? If anything, I thought that would help. An Ohio team maybe on the fringe about scheduling up is going to be more willing to take a loss than they are in other years. Right?

With Covid cancellations, you can find an opponent. It might not be until the last minute...............

Why do you say that? If anything, I thought that would help. An Ohio team maybe on the fringe about scheduling up is going to be more willing to take a loss than they are in other years. Right?
For D1 you would think it does help considering virtually all teams will get in the playoffs anyways. Definitely shouldn't hurt

I’m in the same boat as others when it comes to local teams scheduling big private schools. Just me being pessimistic.

I'm not ever in favor of Ignatius and Eds playing twice during the season.

I didn't care for the back to back regular season next week playoff game between the 2 schools.

I
I'm not ever in favor of Ignatius and Eds playing twice during the season.

I didn't care for the back to back regular season next week playoff game between the 2 schools.
It’s only a matter of time before it is what it is. No one is in favor of it but you have to be realistic at some point.

The playoffs were expanded beginning this season, correct? So, doesn't seem to have had any immediate impact. Perhaps the expansion decision was announced too late to impact this year, but I remain pessimistic moving forward as well.

A replay of last week’s Rock Creek Christian Academy is now available on the St. Edward athletics site. The joint venture with Bally Sports includes much better video quality, different camera angles including closeups, instant replay, etc. Looking forward to an enhanced broadcast of Saturday’s game with Mentor!

The playoffs were expanded beginning this season, correct? So, doesn't seem to have had any immediate impact. Perhaps the expansion decision was announced too late to impact this year, but I remain pessimistic moving forward as well.
The decision to expand the playoffs to 16 for this year came in the spring, IIRC. Most schools' schedules are already complete or close to complete by then. It may take another year or two for some nonleague contracts to be fulfilled before we can draw any great conclusion regarding if teams' scheduling habits have changed. My personal opinion is that the expansion to 8 teams did not lead the vast majority of teams to take more scheduling risks. It just made more teams think they could make the playoffs if they scheduled safer. When it was only 4 teams per region making it, piling up wins alone wasn't necessarily going to get it done. Teams needed to take risks to get wins against good teams in order to qualify. Maybe 16 is enough to swing the pendulum back in that direction.

Nobody would ever expect to see that lopsided of a score considering the highly contested battles throughout the years. None the less, always a great win when you can beat Mentor.
I grew up in Mentor and sent my son to St. Ed’s. I love this game each year and really look forward to it. I’m not in the know and typically just comment on the wrestling threads. Is it that Mentor is in a building year, or the Ed’s is just that good?

Hard to analyze the outcome of the Mentor contest due to injuries, but the Eagles played an exceptional game Saturday evening. Coming into the season one would have assumed the back seven on D would be solid to very good...and they have been. The front four continue to impress as well making this D very good.

The Eagles mad some subtle changes on the O line that allowed for better production both on the ground and in the air (i.e. better pass protection). Ramos is very good with ball fakes and can extend drives with his legs. When he is accurate, like Saturday evening, this offense can be very good.

The Eagles have the talent to be dangerous this season. They need to remain healthy, continue to improve week over week, and remain focused. Nothing derails a season more than early success and allowing the same to cloud one's perspective.

Go Eagles!

I grew up in Mentor and sent my son to St. Ed’s. I love this game each year and really look forward to it. I’m not in the know and typically just comment on the wrestling threads. Is it that Mentor is in a building year, or the Ed’s is just that good?
Ed's is very good, but not 47-7 good. Mentor was missing 3 starting offensive linemen and their QB was injured early and Mentor played a freshman QB most of the game. I will say Eds is the number one team in the area, but I would like to see what the score would be if Mentor was at full strength...maybe in the playoffs.

Ed's is pretty good, what is impressive is I'm not sure they have a "star" but they have a lot of really solid, decently athletic players all over the place. They play solid team football, the run game complements the pass game, the receivers all know their roles and are all dependable. I hope Mentor's qb is ok, I did not see the play that knocked him out. I think the Eagles were up 27-7 at that point. My guess would be if he stayed in the game, they would have scored one or two touchdowns in the second half. It is understandable but when he went out, Mentor's philosophy seemed to be let's just wrap up the game and get out of here.

Not sure I've ever seen the Eagles wear black before, was impressed by the crowd. I'm sure it is a function of not being able to do much of anything the past two years but the crowds for St. Ed's seem to be pretty decent compared to let's say 5 years ago. I know it was Mentor and it is still early in the season but going back to last week I thought I saw a full home side.

Hard to analyze the outcome of the Mentor contest due to injuries, but the Eagles played an exceptional game Saturday evening. Coming into the season one would have assumed the back seven on D would be solid to very good...and they have been. The front four continue to impress as well making this D very good.

The Eagles mad some subtle changes on the O line that allowed for better production both on the ground and in the air (i.e. better pass protection). Ramos is very good with ball fakes and can extend drives with his legs. When he is accurate, like Saturday evening, this offense can be very good.

The Eagles have the talent to be dangerous this season. They need to remain healthy, continue to improve week over week, and remain focused. Nothing derails a season more than early success and allowing the same to cloud one's perspective.

Go Eagles!
Well said all around. With Gedeon playing the standing rush-end that has been a staple to Pappas' defense going back a few years now, the front four are a handful. Kilbane is reminding me of Mike O'Malley at DE and is on his way to an All-Ohio type of season.

Kudos to Scans for throwing in the big sophomore Roebuck at right tackle. Can't let talent like that watch from the sidelines. He had a nice pancake of Vernon that ended up drawing a PF to boot. Running game finally opened with the new mix. Pass pro was very good despite a lot of blitzing from Mentor. Ramos had the best night I can remember from him. If he can find a way to do that consistently then we are in good shape. His running was great as usual, and I'm convinced he added speed in the off-season.

Ed's is very good, but not 47-7 good. Mentor was missing 3 starting offensive linemen and their QB was injured early and Mentor played a freshman QB most of the game. I will say Eds is the number one team in the area, but I would like to see what the score would be if Mentor was at full strength...maybe in the playoffs.
Unfortunate that Snow went out. I saw that thumb wrapped up. Hopefully nothing long-term. He's a really good player and any chance Mentor may have had to get back in the game was over with when he went down. Is a freshman really the next best option?

Ed's is pretty good, what is impressive is I'm not sure they have a "star" but they have a lot of really solid, decently athletic players all over the place. They play solid team football, the run game complements the pass game, the receivers all know their roles and are all dependable. I hope Mentor's qb is ok, I did not see the play that knocked him out. I think the Eagles were up 27-7 at that point. My guess would be if he stayed in the game, they would have scored one or two touchdowns in the second half. It is understandable but when he went out, Mentor's philosophy seemed to be let's just wrap up the game and get out of here.

Not sure I've ever seen the Eagles wear black before, was impressed by the crowd. I'm sure it is a function of not being able to do much of anything the past two years but the crowds for St. Ed's seem to be pretty decent compared to let's say 5 years ago. I know it was Mentor and it is still early in the season but going back to last week I thought I saw a full home side.
Great crowd on both sides from what we've become accustomed to (even pre-covid).

I hope Mentor's qb is ok, I did not see the play that knocked him out. I think the Eagles were up 27-7 at that point. My guess would be if he stayed in the game, they would have scored one or two touchdowns in the second half.
Snow's last series was the TD that made it 14-7. Eds scored again before the freshman QB Fox came into the game.

Snow's last series was the TD that made it 14-7. Eds scored again before the freshman QB Fox came into the game.
I noticed that. Speaking of that series, really dumb of Lombo to loose his control like that and give Mentor 15 yards to set up the eventual score. I definitely thought it was grounding on Snow, but get over it and get the refs ear later about it.

St Eds was so fast on defense. They closed so well on every blitz, every pass breakup, and every tackle. That was a huge difference in this game. Snow’s injury and the offensive line is maybe the difference between the team having 7 versus 21 in this game.

But the biggest issue is that Mentor’s defense looked like the 2012 defense…but without the 2012 Trubisky offense to bail them out. Mentor has played more versatile and more talented offenses from the Eagles. But the Mentor defense and coaching staff made this version of Eds look like world beaters on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.