Recent content by zebrastripes

1. Z

Biggest Upsets Tonight?

NFHS rules don’t take the touchdown off the board for an unsportsmanlike foul before crossing the goal line, so throwing a flag for the flip would have been meaningless since it was the last play of the game. All UNS fouls are treated as dead ball fouls in high school.
  2. Z

2024 schedules

Probably because most states don’t create their schedules years in advance as is custom in Ohio. In other states I’ve lived in most schools didn’t create their schedules until the spring prior to the season.
  3. Z

Why Doesn't the OHSAA Use Districts for Football?

Who the heck really likes this other than a small group of fans that want to go to two games in one round? The overwhelming majority of parties hate Saturday games (coaches, players, Ohio State fans, local journalists, and yes, even referees). I don't know of any other states that play...
  4. Z

Does the regular season end too soon?

I never said the OHSAA changed the start of basketball. My point was that if they push the football season back as has been suggested, it will affect more kids who play both sports than it currently does.
  5. Z

If you could make a radical rule change...

Yeah, ignorance of the rules is not the refs’ or the OHSAA’s or NFHS’s fault.
  6. Z

I (and most of my colleagues) would LOVE to not have to police this stuff. But, unfortunately it’s a part of my job and someone has to do it (since this isn’t the NFL where they have people specifically to monitor that stuff). I don’t want to get in the crosshairs of Bruce Maurer for not...
  7. Z

We all know there are some play clock operators that do not start the play clock at the same tempo on every play.
  8. Z

Does the regular season end too soon?

Has as much to do with the start of basketball practice (and encouraging kids to play both sports) as it does with the number of teams in the postseason.
  9. Z

It's a mechanics emphasis in NCAA this year to start the :40 within one second of the dead ball signal (except after a free kick and touchdown, which does not apply under NFHS rules).
  10. Z

Officiating, what is happening?

I don't think it's the reason for the shortage either, but I don't think the notion that it is a reason is that out of the question, either.
  11. Z

There are plenty of assigners who are still using their buddies who have no business being on the floor/field anymore. They get away with it because the coaches and ADs at their schools know and trust those officials and won't complain about them when they make mistakes.
  12. Z

I've officiated in three states including Ohio and the good ol' boy network absolutely exists, to a certain extent, in each one. To act like it doesn't or that there aren't good officials who have been royally screwed over by it is just being disingenuous and holier-than-thou. In Ohio it can...
  13. Z

Ask The Ref?

Under the current NFHS procedure (which does not apply in Ohio but does apply in many states) the line to gain in OT is always the goal line, so 1/G would be correct in those states.
  14. Z

New Rules For Free Throws

Most obvious one would be the different categories and administrations of technical fouls in NCAAM (1 shot vs. 2 shot, point of interrupton vs. offended team, Class A vs. Class B etc.). High school rules tend to be simpler for a reason. Shot clock is already allowed at the HS level. Just a...
  15. Z

2023-2024 NFHS Basketball Rule Changes

Correct. In NCAA men's the mechanic for the official is to hold a closed fist out to the side (delayed violation), blow the whistle if the offending player is the first to touch the ball, or drop the fist if he is not. Not sure if NFHS/OHSAA will adopt the same mechanic.