NE8 2024

That Girard project was spread over two constructions seasons--in 2008 the turf field and new track were installed; then in 2009 the old stadium was demolished and the new stands constructed. Including prep work, both phases took about 5 months each.

Which also poses the question, shouldn't it be about time for Girard to replace their turf ? Sixteen years of nearly year-round use -- Varsity and JV football, junior high football, all including daily practices; both boys and girls soccer, again including practice time; usually some pee-wee football games on Sundays in the fall...seems like it's time
Girards turf has needed replaced for about 7 years now. Lifespan is usually about ten years with normal use.

And idk if you’ve been on it lately. But it’s shag carpet basically. The school knows it needs replaced.

I changed the first page to reflect a bye week because that's what I believe will happen when the smoke clears. Perhaps Targeting! is correct after all.
A bye week won't affect much. More preparation for league battles.

What's left:
9/6 =
McNicholas, Wyoming, John Adams, Cathedral Prep (PA)
Detroit SE (MI), GRCC (MI), Lawrence C. (IN),
A few options in Eastern Pa, but longshots.
Lonely Struthers

Could there be a worse AD in all of Ohio? :mad:

Baby Reaction GIF
No.

She might be waiting for a cancellation or something at this point

Girards turf has needed replaced for about 7 years now. Lifespan is usually about ten years with normal use.

And idk if you’ve been on it lately. But it’s shag carpet basically. The school knows it needs replaced.
ICBM stated awhile back that Girard might not have the money to replace their turf, it sure seems that is probably the case because it should of been replaced years ago. If that's certainly the case, then remove it and plant grass. Somebody is going to get hurt if it isn't replaced with either turf or grass.

I was on that turf 5-6 years ago and it was garbage then...

Which also poses the question, shouldn't it be about time for Girard to replace their turf ? Sixteen years of nearly year-round use -- Varsity and JV football, junior high football, all including daily practices; both boys and girls soccer, again including practice time; usually some pee-wee football games on Sundays in the fall...seems like it's time.
That question should have been asked 6 years ago. It's rapidly becoming a safety hazard.

ICBM stated awhile back that Girard might not have the money to replace their turf, it sure seems that is probably the case because it should of been replaced years ago. If that's certainly the case, then remove it and plant grass. Somebody is going to get hurt if it isn't replaced with either turf or grass.

I was on that turf 5-6 years ago and it was garbage then...
One would think~at least hope~that the Girard administration would have been preparing for this eventuality. I do know they have been talking for over 5 years now about building an auditorium ("Performing Arts Center") but every time they seem to be getting closer it fades away. If I recall correctly, at one point they were saying it was going to cost somewhere around $15 million...but that funding was in place and would not require any new or additional levies. They have detailed plans and renderings and even accepted bids at least once, maybe twice, but bids were rejected because the overall price tag was too high. So you would think that turf replacement (maybe $750,000 to $1.0 million ??--I don't know if I'm even close) could be accomplished.

One would think~at least hope~that the Girard administration would have been preparing for this eventuality. I do know they have been talking for over 5 years now about building an auditorium ("Performing Arts Center") but every time they seem to be getting closer it fades away. If I recall correctly, at one point they were saying it was going to cost somewhere around $15 million...but that funding was in place and would not require any new or additional levies. They have detailed plans and renderings and even accepted bids at least once, maybe twice, but bids were rejected because the overall price tag was too high. So you would think that turf replacement (maybe $750,000 to $1.0 million ??--I don't know if I'm even close) could be accomplished.
Good post coldshoulder, very informative. Every year this subject comes up over and over again. I think Girard was one of the very first high schools in the area to install turf. If Girard had the money it would have been replaced already.

A Girard poster WGH (he changed his name since) was supposed to look into it last year. I don't know if he ever did followed up on it though.

At what point does the turf become a hazard and not allow Girard to have home games? You would think there would be complaints from opponents to the OHSAA for that to happen.

At what point does the turf become a hazard and not allow Girard to have home games? You would think there would be complaints from opponents to the OHSAA for that to happen.
When visiting teams refuse to play on it and would rather take the forfeit for the safety of their very own players.

If Girard had the money it would of been replaced already that's a given...plant the grass Girard already for the safety of every team (boys and girls sports) that uses that field.

When visiting teams refuse to play on it and would rather take the forfeit for the safety of their very own players.

If Girard had the money it would of been replaced already that's a given...plant the grass Girard already for the safety of every team (boys and girls sports) that uses that field.
It certainly appears Girard has the money, so I'm not sure why the turf replacement hasn't been done yet. Maybe this summer, or next ? I'll have to ask around because the following information sure seems to indicate it can be done.

Per the Ohio Department of Education website with links to individual school districts' financial status and 5-year forecasts (source of these numbers)...show for the 2023 fiscal year ending June 30, 2023, Girard had an ending "cash balance" of $24.0 million ! For comparison, neighboring districts of similar size: Hubbard: $7.8 million; Liberty: $4.0 million.

Girard's 5-year forecast also shows the past three fiscal years' actual results, and they had "excess revenues over expenditures" of $3.3 million in FY 2021, $2.0 million in FY 2022, and $1.0 million in FY 2023. So that's a $6.3 million cumulative surplus in just the last three years.

The only logical answer is maybe they have been hoarding the excess cash to build that performing arts center/auditorium and they're waiting on a final resolution of that before moving on to other projects.

John Adams went all the way to Claymont to play last year, so them playing Struthers seems feasible on the surface.
Better than a bye week. I initially saw John Adam's and thought that may be a decent Harbin game for Strudders. Then I peeked and saw they won 2 games in 23. Was running clocked by 3 Senate League teams not named Glenville

I saw recently on the local news that Brookfield is having a hard time with their stadium, I thought they built a brand new one. Word around Hubbard is the only reason Hubbard is playing at Brookfield this fall was that the money they offered was really really hard to turn down, and that Brookfield wanted to inaugurate their "new stadium" by hosting a former rival from years gone past in Hubbard.

Years ago Brookfield home concession stand sold excellent elephant ears.
There is a lot of misinformation around the stadium as a whole. The plan since the school was build was to move all athletics to the school's campus which opened in 2011. The old stadium is to the point of no return and needs to be closed. As much as people think it is cheaper to remodel the old stadium it is completely opposite. To remodel would mean demolishing everything that is already on site (which is an additional cost that people forget about) and rebuilding. Building on campus will naturally be cheaper because of that. The land that the old stadium is on will also be sold. We recently got new band bleachers and new lights that will be both transported to the new stadium. Making a larger stadium than what is already at the school will not only benefit football, but also soccer and track allowing soccer to have night games and track the ability to hold larger events (no lights and minimal bleachers currently). Ultimately the new stadium will be something the community can be proud of. Yes it is gonna to take a few phases that will be completed within the next year, but it will still look good for this season. The board is taking the South Range approach, as their stadium was not completely done when they first played at it either. I am not aware of any money being offered to come to Brookfield this year. It was a 2 year contract and Brookfield is getting the first season because the last scrimmage was held at Hubbard last year and the last time a regular season game was played between the two it as at Hubbard in 2013.

Struthers parents are not happy what so ever about possibly only playing 9 games
I have to agree with you on this one.
All that's left realistically are Wyoming and John Adams, and three out of state options. The out of state teams are really far away.

"Someone" really screwed up this year by inaction. This type of incompetence would normally get a person fired. I can see why the parents would be pissed. I usually come back home early season for a couple games and this pisses me off as well.

I am not aware of any money being offered to come to Brookfield this year. It was a 2 year contract and Brookfield is getting the first season because the last scrimmage was held at Hubbard last year and the last time a regular season game was played between the two it as at Hubbard in 2013.
Word around town is Brookfield wanted this game to inaugurate their new stadium and was willing to pay some very nice money to get it. That's the reason this game was scheduled according to some of the Hubbard faithful in the know. This game means way way more to Brookfield than for Hubbard. If Hubbard had only 4 home games this fall this game would certainly not have been scheduled, that's just an absolute fact, it had nothing to do with who scrimmaged who last, Hubbard already had 5 home games scheduled, that's the reason why Hubbard is playing week #1 at Brookfield.

Hubbard has no rivalry with any school...

Last edited:
Just because Hubbard and Brookfield don’t play anymore doesn’t mean it’s not a rival, it wasn’t as big as Campbell/Struthers back in the day but for us older folk it was a pretty big rivalry
How can it be a rivalry anymore when they haven't played in over 11 years? Hubbards moved on long time ago, so maybe Brookfield should do it as well. Brookfield desperately wanted this game for the inauguration of their new stadium, I get that, but don't read anymore into this than it is already. It's just a 2 year contract as he has stated, next year's opener at The Beautiful.

How can it be a rivalry anymore when they haven't played in over 11 years? Hubbards moved on long time ago, so maybe Brookfield should do it as well. Brookfield desperately wanted this game for the inauguration of their new stadium, I get that, but don't read anymore into this than it is already. It's just a 2 year contract as he has stated, next year's opener at The Beautiful.
I can’t say anything about teams wanting a game, Struthers looking at a 9 game season. But history matters, regardless that’s gonna be a very close game week 1

I can’t say anything about teams wanting a game, Struthers looking at a 9 game season. But history matters, regardless that’s gonna be a very close game week 1
I don't know how close the game will actually be, I know absolutely nothing about Brookfield to give a prediction, apparently you do.