• Russia

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Jackson Center

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Troy Christian

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Same old bitter agendas smh. Also I saw Richmond JV put up 83 against Eds not sure how many "open aau spots" there will be but whatever helps folks sleep the night before a RH 3 peat is fine with me

Those Russia kids somewhere chilling, having fun being kids while grown men on here continue to cry about a high school basketball program.
They’re probably getting their swings in and longtossing in the pole barn of whichever teammate lives in the country, but yeah lol

It’s a pretty nifty place in the springtime. They know the sun rises the next day, and life goes on.

There will always be haters and jealousy. If your good there's always haters. Hiland is a small school but has had a lot of success. They have haters in their own community and in their conference. No ones goes after the average teams. Anywhere where there are kids with a lot of success these days certain people find a way to discredit them and marginalize their achievements. They don't understand the hard work and commitment kids put into it.
What don’t you understand about what is happening to high school basketball….keep living in your cave…..I am not a hater…..just do things the right way….also, RH does impress me….just not as a D4 team!!!!

He is currently living in the district. He sat out this year so he is good to go for next season. As for filling spots from AAU teams - they have open enrollment. With the OHSAA expanding to 7 divisions next year they will stay the same.or possibly move down.
He sat out because a judge said he could not play…..don’t sugar coat it!!!!

I just remember you being on the Cornerstone Christian train… when they were great.
I just remember you being on the Cornerstone Christian train… when they were great.
I do follow Cornerstone because my son played for the Kwasniak's and I've watched Quinn grow up since elementary school.. I enjoy the style they play and I really enjoy the sucess Quinn is having because I've seen and know how hard he works.

I do follow Cornerstone because my son played for the Kwasniak's at VASJ and I've watched Quinn grow up since elementary school.. I enjoy the style they play and I really enjoy the sucess Quinn is having because I've seen and know how hard he works

From cleveland.com:

DAYTON, Ohio — Russia gave Richmond Heights its toughest test a year ago in the OHSAA boys basketball tournament.

That didn’t change Friday in their rematch at the University of Dayton Arena, and neither did the result, as Richmond Heights pulled away for a 65-52 win in the Division IV state semifinals.

“Talent doesn’t necessarily always win these games,” Richmond Heights coach Quentin Rogers said. “Sometimes it comes down to mental toughness, schemes and discipline. ”That toughness and discipline came with three starters entering the second half with three fouls, and returning All-Ohio guard Dorian Jones fouling out with 5 minutes, 53 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

Russia (27-2) had just pulled even on a 3-pointer by Benjamin York to start the fourth quarter, and Richmond Heights (18-9) led by seven when Jones exited on a charging call. “It was little nerve-wracking,” said Jones, who scored 16 points, “but I had trust in my team and my brothers to get the job done.”

Russia, which lost in the state semifinals last year by a 66-51 score, rallied within six points before two 3s down the stretch by Demarris Winters Jr. sent Richmond Heights on its way to a third straight state final. The Spartans will play at 10:45 a.m. Sunday against Berlin Hiland (23-6), which fended off Lima Central Catholic earlier on Friday for a 62-59 win in double overtime. Richmond Heights has a chance to become the fourth team in OHSAA history to win three straight state championships in boys basketball. The last to do it was North College Hill, led by O.J. Mayo, from 2005-07.

Russia tried to stop it while becoming the first team all postseason to remain closer than 34 points of the Spartans. “One of the things we talked about all week long was take care of the basketball,” Russia coach Spencer Cordonnier said. “Last year we had 22 turnovers. I thought we took care of the basketball, and I thought we could rebound with them.” The Raiders did that. They outrebounded Richmond Heights 28-23 and even committed just nine turnovers to 12 by the Spartans. They just could not slow junior point guard De’Erick Barber, who finished with a team-high 17 points and six assists. Or seniors Jeremy Wilson and Hosea Steele Jr., the other two players who played the second half with three fouls. Wilson provided a slam dunk on a feed from Barber after Russia pulled within 42-all to start the fourth quarter. “We kind of knew that they weren’t going to back down,” said Barber, who attacked the hoop for a few more baskets in the fourth quarter.

Steele paced the Spartans with 10 rebounds, while Wilson grabbed seven. Winters finished with 15 points, including three 3-pointers. Richmond Heights made 8 of 18 shots beyond the 3-point arc, with Jones knocking down all three of his attempts.
“They’re tough to defend for 32 minutes,” Cordonnier said. “Let’s face the facts, they’re a tough guard for anyone they play. I thought our guys battled, battled and battled.”

Senior Brayden Monnin, a returning starter from last year’s matchup, led Russia with 15 points. Felix Francis added 12 points and nine rebounds, while York provided 12 points off the bench. They fell into an early nine-point deficit before pulling even in the second quarter. Seeing the Raiders in person after last year, the difference made an impression on Rogers. “It looked like everybody attacked the weight room,” Rogers said. “It looked like everybody bulked up. They definitely got stronger.”

Cordonnier noted his players’ strength training came on their own. The school is building a new weight room, which kept the Raiders from lifting as a team. Many of their players also participate on a baseball team that won a state championship in 2022 and got back to the state finals last year in that sport.

Meanwhile, Richmond Heights has made this stage a constant in basketball since 2019 under Rogers. The Spartans played in two state semifinals before what will be a third straight final appearance on Sunday. Cordonnier called the Spartans, “a very disciplined team.” “When we’re not playing them, I enjoy watching them play,” he said. “Those dudes can flat out get it. They can play. You’re going to see four of those guys in a couple of years this weekend in March Madness.” With a slight smile, Cordonnier pointed to two of his players sitting with him in the postgame interview room. “You ain’t going to see these guys,” he said, drawing a laugh from them.
Presspromagazine... also has a story on the game

I truly think its beyond pathetic how a lot of yall look the other way at stuff like that post about Richmond Heights parents being in jail but want to cry wolf about a Fin game played by teenagers. Some serious self reflection needed by a lot of "adults". Yall get a glimpse of what they deal with it and have nothing to say about that though. Kids shouldnt have to experience that level of hate no matter how you feel about their program. Ive seen them be called thugs on here before the season started! Bring er home Spartans you DESERVE it!!!!

Richmond heights and other successful sports programs that benefit from open enrollment (including parochial schools) will always be a criticism magnet for opposing programs that have a hard time competing. It's not fair to hold u

Those hateful posts are not representative of most fans. There's always the occasional nutjob on every topic that needs to be ignored. Certainly not held up as an example of the group

What don’t you understand about what is happening to high school basketball….keep living in your cave…..I am not a hater…..just do things the right way….also, RH does impress me….just not as a D4 team!!!!
I agree with you on that. I just don't know the facts about how they stay D4. If they pull strings to stay D4 so they face weaker competition then its wrong. If it's a legit D4 then it is what it is. I've had kids get smoked by 30 at state against RH so I know what it feels like. My kids knew what it was. I just always try to teach my kids to respect the competition. Thought Russia did well with that. They could have 2 state titles if not for RH

Most people have never been to Richmond Heights or have seen their school (the old.one). They are legit D4 in size. They do have a brand new school and gym that opened last year - but it's a small town..in fact they forfeited football games and did not play a few years because they were unable to field a team.

They happened to hire a coach that kids want to play for and the open enrollment makes it easier for that to happen. The city does have apartments so moving into the district is easier then most cities. They are not doing anything wrong. Maybe outsiders don't like it but there is nothing stopping your school from doing the same thing. It's not like Heights is playing with a different set of rules then the rest of the state.

Its clearly more than the occasional nutjob
Well, for sure that comment is way, way out of line and deserves universal condemnation, but it is notable because there aren't too many people stupid enough to say it publicly. Lol

But I would just want to make sure we aren't conflating two separate things: hateful racism with the belief that a school like RH should not be competing in D4. The latter is not related to the former - but it gets thrown in and labeled as the former.

It's obvious they shouldn't be playing in D4, but those who benefit from that system like to ignore and deny what clear eyes and sane minds see and understand.

And I would add, that those kids and staff at RH didn't come up with or impose the system that tells them who and where they play in the tournament. Those who see this as I do need to keep that in mind.

Bottom line, if you are resenting kids playing ball - any kids - you are not on a good path. FWIW

Most people have never been to Richmond Heights or have seen their school (the old.one). They are legit D4 in size. They do have a brand new school and gym that opened last year - but it's a small town..in fact they forfeited football games and did not play a few years because they were unable to field a team.

They happened to hire a coach that kids want to play for and the open enrollment makes it easier for that to happen. The city does have apartments so moving into the district is easier then most cities. They are not doing anything wrong. Maybe outsiders don't like it but there is nothing stopping your school from doing the same thing. It's not like Heights is playing with a different set of rules then the rest of the state.
RH is one example, but take their name out of it and just think about it in broader terms.

For me, it isn't about resenting a specific school or schools for doing something "wrong", it is about the OHSAA's inability to address the cause of a competitive imbalance like we are getting ready to see here. The cause is not transfers. The cause is the ability of a handful of low enrollment schools to gather elite size and talent because they are located in or near a major urban area - or have state-wide connections.

Hiland could snatch up.every good player within 20 miles and not be able to come up with the size and talent RH is gathering from a variety of sources.

The analogy is a RH has Lake Erie to fish out of and they have access to every kind of fish you could want. Small town, village, and rural low-enrollment schools have farm ponds to fish out of. There are lots of nice little blue gills and a few small mouth bass sometimes, but no pike or walleye. Lol

Well, for sure that comment is way, way out of line and deserves universal condemnation, but it is notable because there aren't too many people stupid enough to say it publicly. Lol

But I would just want to make sure we aren't conflating two separate things: hateful racism with the belief that a school like RH should not be competing in D4. The latter is not related to the former - but it gets thrown in and labeled as the former.

It's obvious they shouldn't be playing in D4, but those who benefit from that system like to ignore and deny what clear eyes and sane minds see and understand.

And I would add, that those kids and staff at RH didn't come up with or impose the system that tells them who and where they play in the tournament. Those who see this as I do need to keep that in mind.

Bottom line, if you are resenting kids playing ball - any kids - you are not on a good path. FWIW
Now this a respectable post I can agree with. I truly hope they opt into D1 next year the coach already said he will try to duplicate regular season again and they will have the horses...

Hiland needs to divide this game into 4 min segments. Try to win as many of the 8 segments as possible, play a few to a draw, and, most importantly, not lose segments 12-2. I don't know if that's even possible.

Hawks started off 5-0, but RH answered with a 10-0 run when Hiland turned the ball over. That's the challenge Hiland has. It's going to be hard to win any segments and avoid disastrous ones.

12-7 end of 1

Officials allowing a lot of contact - as they typically do in the tournament. A tighter called game would help the Hawks, but you don't usually get that.

Hiland will have to hit some 3's to keep this close. And take better care of the ball.

Is traveling a violation anymore? Players take 2 steps than come to a jump stop, seen players dive on the floor roll with the ball in their hands sit up no traveling (not this game yet).

Richmond Hts is getting to the hoop easily. When then start finishing better this will be a blowout of 25+

12-7 end of 1

Officials allowing a lot of contact - as they typically do in the tournament. A tighter called game would help the Hawks, but you don't usually get that.

Hiland will have to hit some 3's to keep this close. And take better care of the ball.
Hiland is a jump shooting team with not lot of size not a good recipe vs a team like RH. LCC would have been a better match up with RH 2 good guards and some interior physical players.