St. Ignatius basketball 2023-2024

You play to win the game.
Louis Litt Genius GIF by Suits

The stall ball is just a horrible bastardization of the game. No good reason to not have a shot clock.
I have been a big proponent of a shot clock at the HS level, but can guarantee it will be ridiculously long once it is finally implemented, probably 45 seconds or more. So outside the fourth quarter, Brunswick played within the limits of a hypothetical shot clock.

That being said, I'm not sure whether Brunswick would have held on but I am confident in saying that trying to run out the clock with as much time remaining did Ignatius a huge favor and the Brunswick coaches let down their kids for going to it.

It almost never works out when the underdog goes to that tactic. Plus, Barnett/Drexler were handling the Ignatius press and doing a great job of getting the numbers to their advantage. That's how they built a 9-point lead in the third, and I think their only buckets in the fourth all came from pushing after they broke the Ignatius pressure. Brunswick is a good enough team where they could have really put the pressure on Ignatius to having to continue to get points ... on one of those nights where they were having a hard time getting anything to fall.

Congrats to Ignatius for pulling that one out. The defense that final minute was stifling. Brunswick got the ball back with about 57 seconds left and never got the opportunity to "hold" for the final shot because the Cats:

1. Nearly forced a turnover after a deflction into the backcourt and a jump ball (luckily for Brunswick they had the arrow)

2. Blocked the potential go-ahead shot out of bounds with 6 seconds left

3. Forced a turnover on the following inbound leading to the exclamation jam to cap it.

That last minute defense has potential to be what championship run memories are made of in 9 days. But will be 2 very tough high level wins to get there

So, I dont know Friery's blood line. But, it isnt that common of a name and I went to grade school with a Friery back in the day, and one of my grade school basketball coaches was a Friery at St. Anthony of Padua, the man who owned the former car wash. Anyone know if same family?
Yes, same family. They all are legacy Padua Franciscan HS, but Damon selected Ignatius

Being there in-person tonight and also having watched many HS games over many decades, that was the loudest HS game crowd that I have seen in a long, long time. We could not hear the persons sitting next to us. It was deafening inside the MACC.
Kudos to the Brunswick kids and fans. who had a huge turnout. Ignatius had a pretty strong turnout too. The kids behind both of the baskets were unbelievably loud and appeared to affect the opposing team's play and how the refs called the game. Both teams and coaches were obviously nervous early and late. Thought the refs were nervous too - as we were sitting close to the court, we could see it in their faces and could hear it in their conversations with the coaches and when there was a break in the action. What an environment.

Great game by both teams

The game was on for free on the Ignatius network, SIBN.
Why is it currently unavailable on SIBN? It was also live on nfhs net, or at least it was on the schedule. Why is the game not archived somewhere? I believe I've watched Ignatius games on demand at the SIBN site, but I could be mistaken. Currently, no varsity basketball games are available to view on SIBN.

Why is it currently unavailable on SIBN? It was also live on nfhs net, or at least it was on the schedule. Why is the game not archived somewhere? I believe I've watched Ignatius games on demand at the SIBN site, but I could be mistaken. Currently, no varsity basketball games are available to view on SIBN.
Ignatius does not publicly archive most Varsity sports so opponents can’t use as extra film.

Was an amazing game to watch no doubt. Both fan bases turned out strong I thought. Sadly the devils likely won’t be good enough to make it back to this level for at least a couple years; will all depend on the development of drexler and the young guys coming up (both jv and freshman teams were very good this year so hopefully that will come to fruition) but I’d love another Brunswick ignatius matchup in the near future. The Brunswick kid hitting the free throws and the dunk late added some salt to the wound but that’s how high school sports work in Ohio and there’s really no sense complaining about it. Good luck to ignatius the rest of the way. I’m hoping a NE Ohio team brings the title home.

Good luck wildcats next weekend! Feels like Coach Flannery isn’t getting the studs that he used to get. Would love to see a St. Ignatius vs. Moeller final.

Well I was late to the party. I’m hearing Centerville beat Moeller 70-69 in double OT.
Xavier commit Jonathan Powell sank a 3-point shot with 8 seconds to play, but Moeller missed a layup that could have won the game. The Elks were up by 11 with 2:46 left to play, yet Moeller clawed their way back to force overtime. It was a heck of a game. Moeller only lost two games this year, both against Centerville.

I'm hoping Centerville and Ignatius can meet in the final for a rematch. Good luck in your semifinal!

Xavier commit Jonathan Powell sank a 3-point shot with 8 seconds to play, but Moeller missed a layup that could have won the game. The Elks were up by 11 with 2:46 left to play, yet Moeller clawed their way back to force overtime. It was a heck of a game. Moeller only lost two games this year, both against Centerville.

I'm hoping Centerville and Ignatius can meet in the final for a rematch. Good luck in your semifinal!
This sounds like a soccer matchup headed our way! Good luck to both teams.

About Hayes, from cleveland.com:

About the Pacers: The only team not to have a down-to-the-wire regional final, Delaware Hayes raced past Olentangy Orange on Saturday last week at Ohio Dominican with a 74-56 victory. Both teams came in with just one loss. “It was a high level game, as you’d expect for No. 1 vs. No. 2 in Central Ohio,” Hayes coach Adam Vincenzo said. The Pacers are making their first trip to the state semifinals, led by senior 6-4 senior guard Jesse Burris. He is an Ohio University signee and averaged 16.1 points with 6.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists on the season. He also is a four-year starter. “We handed him the keys as a freshman,” Vincenzo said. “We were kind of rebuilding when he was a freshman. It was a process these last four years, and we had a vision leading to his senior year.” They also added Landon Vanderwarker as a transfer last year from Northside Christian. A 6-7 junior forward, Vanderwarker had 16 points and 12 rebounds in the win vs. Orange. He made the All-Ohio first team last season in Division IV and has seven Division I college scholarship offers. Vanderwarker could be the X-factor for the Pacers in their matchups with Friery and Robinson.