How many baseball players trying out for your HS in 2024?

Is that 9-12?

Does Tallmadge have a freshman team? Do schools have a freshman team?
Yes, that is 9-12.

I believe there are 12 Freshmen trying out. Not sure if they will have a Freshmen team. Haven't had one that I am aware of for a couple of decades.

Yes, that is 9-12.

I believe there are 12 Freshmen trying out. Not sure if they will have a Freshmen team. Haven't had one that I am aware of for a couple of decades.
I didn't think so. I wasn't sure if many teams still had freshman teams anymore

16 in grades 9-12
Admin informed the program they are no longer allowed to offer a JV team as Baseball is not revenue generating for the district (Conference Rule)

We have around 25-27 (depending on how many basketball players decide to play). Each of the last 2 years we've had 32-35 with a Freshman team. This year it's looking unlikely that we will have a Freshman team.

at the school I teach at in rural north west Ohio 9-12, we will have 11 or 12 with only a handful of actual baseball players and maybe 8 that can all catch and throw. Typically we have to hide a guy. This becoming more and more common in my part of the state as an umpire I see a lot of ball.

I am curious how many kids try out at the D1 privates like Ignatius, Ed's and Moeller. The large publics too I suppose, like Mason or the Lakotas I would be curious about also.

In SW Ohio we have a record number of schools informing us as assigners they will not have JV this year due to numbers, and almost no freshmen baseball (even from schools who have had it for decades).

I noticed on Lacrosse has syphoned much of the baseball players as of late. It's a no cut sport(at least here anyway) so that maybe a factor on numbers coming out. Are football guys just doing track and maybe working out in the spring now?

Interesting on a few fronts. One, leagues dont generally have the authority to dispermit a school from having an OHSAA sanctioned sport of any level and saying it's a conference rule is laughable because then none of them would be able to field alot of teams in alot of sports, and any AD or league who actively tries to take away opportunities for kids to participate for something other than pure numbers or athlete health and safety should be ashamed of itself. Two, I did see Mississinawa Valley was possibly not having a Varsity team, so perhaps that what this is about but for other than stated reasons. Third, my nephews both attend a WOAC school and the younger one is definitely playing a full JV baseball schedule because I just put it on my calendar to go watch. Fourth, baseball has, in the last 30 years I've been in the sport (plus the 20 before that my father coached and was an AD), never been a revenue-generating one at the HS level, especially at smaller schools so that reason is flawed unless schools finally buck up and make it one (which they can do but refuse to generally and I was guilty of it myself as an AD). Fifth, I'm working a dozen JV games this spring to observe umpires to upgrade to class 1 at the request of the assignor I work for as I come back from back surgery and 8 of those JV games are in the WOAC (including one that is coming up as a scrimmage next week). Sixth, I just got off the phone with the WOAC commissioner who I have known for 20+ years and he laughed when I asked him about the suggestion of this.

So maybe the admin said the numbers were too low to field a JV team, which makes fully logical sense, but saying it's due to BB not being a revenue sport and some conference rule would be a first. And I'd be calling my friend back (and the other ADs I know to give them hell for such a policy).

But that's just my two cents.

Baseball has never made money at the HS level....I would venture to say that it probably doesn't at the high college level either.

I would think it would be numbers game if they didn't field a team.

Interesting on a few fronts. One, leagues dont generally have the authority to dispermit a school from having an OHSAA sanctioned sport of any level and saying it's a conference rule is laughable because then none of them would be able to field alot of teams in alot of sports, and any AD or league who actively tries to take away opportunities for kids to participate for something other than pure numbers or athlete health and safety should be ashamed of itself. Two, I did see Mississinawa Valley was possibly not having a Varsity team, so perhaps that what this is about but for other than stated reasons. Third, my nephews both attend a WOAC school and the younger one is definitely playing a full JV baseball schedule because I just put it on my calendar to go watch. Fourth, baseball has, in the last 30 years I've been in the sport (plus the 20 before that my father coached and was an AD), never been a revenue-generating one at the HS level, especially at smaller schools so that reason is flawed unless schools finally buck up and make it one (which they can do but refuse to generally and I was guilty of it myself as an AD). Fifth, I'm working a dozen JV games this spring to observe umpires to upgrade to class 1 at the request of the assignor I work for as I come back from back surgery and 8 of those JV games are in the WOAC (including one that is coming up as a scrimmage next week). Sixth, I just got off the phone with the WOAC commissioner who I have known for 20+ years and he laughed when I asked him about the suggestion of this.

So maybe the admin said the numbers were too low to field a JV team, which makes fully logical sense, but saying it's due to BB not being a revenue sport and some conference rule would be a first. And I'd be calling my friend back (and the other ADs I know to give them hell for such a policy).

But that's just my two cents.
Sorry for the confusion, conference rule that teams can't charge admission to games like football and basketball, making it a Non-Revenue generating sport.

However, Admin was rumored to have said no more offering JV.

Baseball has never made money at the HS level....I would venture to say that it probably doesn't at the high college level either.

I would think it would be numbers game if they didn't field a team.
It’s definitely a numbers game. Even if you could have a junior varsity team with nine players, that’s still bus, trips, uniforms, coaching, stipends, etc.

I don’t know if really any college baseball team that makes money at the division three-year division two level. Maybe some of the higher level division two stuff might break even. Even division one is a wash except in some of the power conferences and unless you’re winning, national championships are playing in the college World Series every year, you’re probably still breaking even. Even some minor-league baseball barely makes it.

It’s definitely a numbers game. Even if you could have a junior varsity team with nine players, that’s still bus, trips, uniforms, coaching, stipends, etc.

I don’t know if really any college baseball team that makes money at the division three-year division two level. Maybe some of the higher level division two stuff might break even. Even division one is a wash except in some of the power conferences and unless you’re winning, national championships are playing in the college World Series every year, you’re probably still breaking even. Even some minor-league baseball barely makes it.
My son played three years of D2 ball, up through 2023 when he got a job offer and didn't return to school this year. Never once were we charged admission to a game anywhere. Guess I would be shocked if any D2 program even broke even with concessions etc.

Definitely think that some of the SEC schools have a positive contribution. Seems like many of their televised games are packed with spectators in rather large stadiums.

My son played three years of D2 ball, up through 2023 when he got a job offer and didn't return to school this year. Never once were we charged admission to a game anywhere. Guess I would be shocked if any D2 program even broke even with concessions etc.

Definitely think that some of the SEC schools have a positive contribution. Seems like many of their televised games are packed with spectators in rather large stadiums.
TV packages are the money maker. Outside of that, I would venture even big conferences break even with BB.