Would anyone step up to D1

zski71

With the expansion of playoffs in other sports, it looks like OHSAA is going to conduct a vote of members that would allow a school to opt into D1 only. I could see this happening in other sports, but would any school choose this for football.?

I will be very interested to see if any schools in any sports choose to move up. It is easy for schools and fans to say their team would move up if given the option. Actually making the move up would be alot more difficult of a decision, especially when a state championship was likely in a lower division and an early exit in the higher division.

I will be very interested to see if any schools in any sports choose to move up. It is easy for schools and fans to say their team would move up if given the option. Actually making the move up would be alot more difficult of a decision, especially when a state championship was likely in a lower division and an early exit in the higher division.
I think Coach Ginn would move especially with how his pipeline is currently looking. Great question btw.

I know in California they have an open division where any school regardless of size compete. It’s typically the big boys like Mater Dei and St. John Bosco, Sierra Canyon, etc. I think that would be interesting for Ohio to try. There are several schools who need to be forced up or should be playing in D1 anyway. Glenville, Toledo Central Catholic, Massillon, etc.

Last edited:
Interesting proposition. Especially when there are Div.1 schools who have never been competitive in Div. 1. Some would be hard pressed to be competitive with the better teams in the lower divisions.

Why would he do that when his state championship teams can’t beat Hoban and Avon etc? Would not be a great move at least not yet
Let’s fact check… His 2022 state championship did in fact beat Avon. MassillonTigers3, the smartest person in the room LMAO. And right or wrong (damn you OHSAA) he played Hoban missing multiple starters on both sides of the ball. Prior to beating Hoban a few months ago you would have believe that Massillon would petitioned to play up right? I can’t wait until we play you guys, it’s gonna be a blast…

Let’s fact check… His 2022 state championship did in fact beat Avon. MassillonTigers3, the smartest person in the room LMAO. And right or wrong (damn you OHSAA) he played Hoban missing multiple starters on both sides of the ball. Prior to beating Hoban a few months ago you would have believe that Massillon would petitioned to play up right? I can’t wait until we play you guys, it’s gonna be a blast…
Lost to Avon and Hoban this year…

Lmao why do Glenville fans blame every loss from freshman games to varsity on “not having all our starters”

Lmao why do Glenville fans blame every loss from freshman games to varsity on “not having all our starters”
Correct. That said, we beat Avon in 2022 en route to winning a state championship, so the facts show you’re incorrect. I didn’t blame anyone or anything, I simply stated a fact. In regards to Fr. and JV this past season, our QB did suffer an ankle sprain against St. Edward’s top Fr. team and he missed a few games, including losses to Eds and Massillon JV. He’s a really good player so clearly that had an impact but not sure it’s that important in the grand scheme as he has 3 years of high school left. Congrats on winning the 2023 D2 state championship and I hope the Tarblooders and Tigers can a Varsity game soon, it will be a GREAT game. Have a solid weekend in Tigertown.

Correct. That said, we beat Avon in 2022 en route to winning a state championship, so the facts show you’re incorrect. I didn’t blame anyone or anything, I simply stated a fact. In regards to Fr. and JV this past season, our QB did suffer an ankle sprain against St. Edward’s top Fr. team and he missed a few games, including losses to Eds and Massillon JV. He’s a really good player so clearly that had an impact but not sure it’s that important in the grand scheme as he has 3 years of high school left. Congrats on winning the 2023 D2 state championship and I hope the Tarblooders and Tigers can a Varsity game soon, it will be a GREAT game. Have a solid weekend in Tigertown.
Massillon freshman qb didn’t play in those games either but yeah nobody cares about freshman and jv football results.

And how many times have we all read on this exact website that you guys would have won state (can’t recall if it was Hoban or LaSalle) if the starting RB (can’t recall his name) wouldn’t have been out with an injury? But you guys live in Tigertown so it’s acceptable 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Massillon freshman qb didn’t play in those games either but yeah nobody cares about freshman and jv football results.
And I’m sure he’s talented as well. I won’t say nobody cares and those levels have some value but in the grand scheme I don’t think either kid will be affected by missing a lower level game as a 9th grader.

And how many times have we all read on this exact website that you guys would have won state (can’t recall if it was Hoban or LaSalle) if the starting RB (can’t recall his name) wouldn’t have been out with an injury? But you guys live in Tigertown so it’s acceptable 😂😂😂😂😂😂
There are a couple people who have said that and actually meant it but…
1. I’m not one of them.
2. That wasn’t some meaningless freshman or jv game
3. Thomas was a 1,900 yd and 25 TD scorer that year so yeah losing that off your team going into the championship means at least something
4. Most of the times I’ve seen that posted it’s sarcastically in response to Hoban fans who say that Trayanum was hurt in 2019 when Massillon won and that’s why the game went that way even though the kid played the whole game on offense

Divisions are based on enrollment. Not how good you are. It's been that way.

Take the final four teams from D1 and put them up against D2....

Champions- (D2) Massillon beat (D1) Lakewood St. Edward.
Runner up- (D2) Hoban would be favored over (D1) Springfield.
3rd- (D1) Moeller would favored over (D2) Avon, but I'd love to see it.
4th- (D1) Hilliard Bradley vs. (D2) Cincinnati Anderson is a push.

While there's no guarantees outside of the champs, realistically, D1 likely finishes with no better than an even split.

Instead of doing the same with the other divisions, I'll just say the following...

1. (DIV) Cleveland Glenville would give (D3) Toledo Central Catholic all they could handle.
2. I don't think that many people would favor (DV) Perry beating (DVI runner up) Versailles, let alone (DVI champion) Kirtland.
3. I don't think that anybody below Division IV would beat (DVII) Marion Local.

Again, no prediction is guaranteed, but in 2024, we should be all past the biased assumptions that the biggest divisions have the best teams.

There are a couple people who have said that and actually meant it but…
1. I’m not one of them.
2. That wasn’t some meaningless freshman or jv game
3. Thomas was a 1,900 yd and 25 TD scorer that year so yeah losing that off your team going into the championship means at least something
4. Most of the times I’ve seen that posted it’s sarcastically in response to Hoban fans who say that Trayanum was hurt in 2019 when Massillon won and that’s why the game went that way even though the kid played the whole game on offense
Chip missed a high school game? That dude is built like a tank, you have any idea why he missed against you guys? Agreed injuries are impactful on all levels, and I don’t think Fr./JV games are meaningless to the coaches, kids, parents but I understand your overall point. If Glenville folks mentioned the Fr. QB being out for a few games, it may have been more in regard to his overall impact and less making excuses for losing a few games. Either way, both programs have loads of talent and both will have successful 2024 seasons.

Chip missed a high school game? That dude is built like a tank, you have any idea why he missed against you guys? Agreed injuries are impactful on all levels, and I don’t think Fr./JV games are meaningless to the coaches, kids, parents but I understand your overall point. If Glenville folks mentioned the Fr. QB being out for a few games, it may have been more in regard to his overall impact and less making excuses for losing a few games. Either way, both programs have loads of talent and both will have successful 2024 seasons.
He didn't miss, he was rumored to be less than 100% however.

He didn’t miss the game. He had a sprained ankle that they taped up. Was he 100%? Of course not but as you said he’s a freak show and him at 70% is better than 99% of high school athletes lol

I do think a few teams may want to move up. It could potentially lead to a couple more marquee games in the playoffs where their players might get a little more attention from colleges for.

With the expansion of playoffs in other sports, it looks like OHSAA is going to conduct a vote of members that would allow a school to opt into D1 only. I could see this happening in other sports, but would any school choose this for football.?

Glenville would probably consider D-2

No administration in the state will have the balls to move up.
“That’s the division we are assigned, that’s where we will play.”
If so I will stand corrected.
I think some will stand pat. But I think some will move up. Schools will take advantage if it’s allowed.