GCL Co-ed 2023-24

Tonight’s loss by Alter opens the door for CJ who looked solid tonight against McNick. Of course, CJ will have to get past Fenwick next week before hosting Alter in the season finale. Could we have co-champs this year?

Alter 48, Urbana 47
Troy Christian 68, Chaminade Julienne 57
Badin 45, Preble Shawnee 37
Anderson 60, McNicholas 52
Fenwick 55, CHCA 42
Scores from Saturday.

With the draw being a week from today. This is the last week of the regular season with meaning. Alter goes to Fairmont Tuesday, Greer should be back. So they should be back at full strength and getting prepared for a championship run. That is the only real eye popping tuesday matchup. Unless you get fired up for fenwick-monroe or badin-edgewood LOL

Rare that the Coed gets an undefeated run. A couple weeks back looked like Alter had the goods. Didn't. Its not unthinkable the Knights might not get a #1 d2 seed. With CJ, Fairmont and Northmont ahead Alter could lose a few more. The depth, once a perceived strength is perhaps not. Absent a starter or two no one has picked up the offensive slack given the offensive scoring . To this point would wonder why the bigger players haven't put up numbers as well. They catch a tourney game and either get foul issues or injury to the starters it gets challenging based on what's shown up in last x number of games. The 2nd half vs Westerville North was telling. Tournament success has a lot to do with how a team deals with a compressed schedule etc.

I’ve never been very impressed with Northridge either, or anyone else who plays a week schedule. The Ridge has only had one team who did anything in the tournament in the last 25 years and they eventually got blown out in the Regional. You might be right about the Oakwood coach, but it’s still early.
Actually Northridge has been to the regionals twice in the past 10 years, lost to Trotwood (regi-final in 19') and lost to CJ in 15' (regi-semis). Nridge has been a diamond in the rough for decades.

Alter picks up the W in the battle of Kettering.
56-53 Greer lit up the score board after a slow first quarter. He finished with 24 I believe. Knights looked sloppy to start but picked it up in crunch time

Anyone know the final score of Fenwick V Monroe? All I have seen was highlights of Janeck and Temming on X. I would imagine it was a gritty game.

Alter-Carroll typical defensive slugfest. Carroll went all out to stop Greer. And did a great job but didn’t have enough offense to hang with the knights. This series may be one of the most lopsided series between 2 teams around. Alter leads 79-11.

GCLC Tournament draws
North 2
Carroll takes a bye and will play the winner of Northridge and Graham
Alter vs Greenville
-Funny Cogan must have a secret weapon up his sleeve chasing the top seeded knights. After they have beat them both times they met this year.
North 3
CJ takes a buy and will play the winner of Urbana and Eaton
South 1
McNicholas vs Taylor
South 2
Badin vs Indian Hill
Fenwick vs Hughes
-Hughes upset Fenwick last year in round 1 if I am not mistaken. Does it happen for the second year in a row?

Alter drops a tough one at home to northmont 42-39 in OT. Think the word is out there. Shut down Greer you win. Bolts held him to 5 if I’m not mistake. Senior night Friday @ the Petro welcoming in the upstart rams who have won 8 of their last 9. W there and alter wins the outright GCLC title

Unless Alter can run sets that get points from someone other than the transfer guard it's going to see a box and one every game. Several fairly anemic offensive displays in last 5-6 games. Tournament time soon and mid 40s may be problematic as the opponents get tougher.

Last edited:
Unless Alter can run sets that get points from someone other than the transfer guard it's going to see a box and one every game. Several fairly anemic offensive displays in last 5-6 games. Tournament time soon and mid 40s may be problematic as the opponents get tougher.
Depending on Greer during the tournament might not punch the ticket for Alter this year. Could see them struggling as team's lock down on him.

Alter not playing good basketball at an inopportune time of the year. TURNOVERS don't think I saw more passes to nobody go out of bounds and lazy passes easily stolen. Missed layups 3-4 easy ones, the big guy needs to assert himself. Northmont caught on to him catching ball inside, taking a dribble, then going up. He had shots blocked for layups 3 to 4 times. Take ball straight up every once in awhile. Better come up with way to get greer some more shots or it will be a short run in playoffs. Give greer credit for not forcing shots that were not there. Many times the star will try to do to much. He passed and defended well. At the end of the day Alter still had chances to win.

Northmont deserved to win they played hard, smart defense and very athletic.

Alter not playing good basketball at an inopportune time of the year. TURNOVERS don't think I saw more passes to nobody go out of bounds and lazy passes easily stolen. Missed layups 3-4 easy ones, the big guy needs to assert himself. Northmont caught on to him catching ball inside, taking a dribble, then going up. He had shots blocked for layups 3 to 4 times. Take ball straight up every once in awhile. Better come up with way to get greer some more shots or it will be a short run in playoffs. Give greer credit for not forcing shots that were not there. Many times the star will try to do to much. He passed and defended well. At the end of the day Alter still had chances to win.

Northmont deserved to win they played hard, smart defense and very athletic.
Felt like that was a great indicator of what they may see out of Trotwood if they face them later in the tournament. Ball pressure and quickness. All year long alter has struggled turning the ball over. And last night it cost them the game.

Recognizing that Alter has played a great non league schedule, given their talent and expectations, this season has to be considered a disappointment. All will be forgotten by a trip to the Final Four, but nothing less.

Alter should get to the regional finals relatively easily:

First two rounds should be running clocks
District semifinal - Northridge/Carroll
District final - Taft/McNicholas
Regional semifinal - Bloom Carroll/Ready

You can always get beat on any given night. With that said, it would be a huge failure for them to not make the Elite 8. Taft is not as good as some Taft teams, Ready is the 3 seed in Columbus and McNick and Carroll are the two worst teams in the gclc.

Alter has played a brutal schedule. I mean brutal. It looks like it might be wearing on them a little bit. They should at least get a split this weekend. They moved the CJ game to this weekend to have Greer back after he got hurt at McNick. Badin is playing some solid ball right now. Should be an interesting weekend for them.

They lack any kind of guard depth and I would think the bigs are a huge disappointment this year.

Playing their schedule is awesome for their fans. It can make it tough for role players to gain any confidence. Also tough to find minutes for back up players when every game is a battle. I commend coach Coulter for the schedule, but we could be seeing some of the downside of this brutal schedule.

As said earlier, regional final or more and all will be forgotten. Earlier exit than elite 8 and questions will be asked about the schedule, depth, development and coaching.

Alter should get to the regional finals relatively easily:

First two rounds should be running clocks
District semifinal - Northridge/Carroll
District final - Taft/McNicholas
Regional semifinal - Bloom Carroll/Ready

You can always get beat on any given night. With that said, it would be a huge failure for them to not make the Elite 8. Taft is not as good as some Taft teams, Ready is the 3 seed in Columbus and McNick and Carroll are the two worst teams in the gclc.

Alter has played a brutal schedule. I mean brutal. It looks like it might be wearing on them a little bit. They should at least get a split this weekend. They moved the CJ game to this weekend to have Greer back after he got hurt at McNick. Badin is playing some solid ball right now. Should be an interesting weekend for them.

They lack any kind of guard depth and I would think the bigs are a huge disappointment this year.

Playing their schedule is awesome for their fans. It can make it tough for role players to gain any confidence. Also tough to find minutes for back up players when every game is a battle. I commend coach Coulter for the schedule, but we could be seeing some of the downside of this brutal schedule.

As said earlier, regional final or more and all will be forgotten. Earlier exit than elite 8 and questions will be asked about the schedule, depth, development and coaching.
Well said, Crazy thing is there is some depth at different positions ..... We will just leave it at that.

Combing through league stats Alter fares pretty well. As per guard depth starting trio are averaging double digits or better and generate @ 3/4 of the offensive ppg ( 54). Also they're among Coed leaders in steals.Would agree in season growth of bigs isn't optimal; maybe scheme, maybe skills progression. With their size they should be dominant on the boards, playing zone will change that some. Tough to figure. 2nd half ooc schedule has been challenging and would guess that opponents strength of schedule is as good as any number of DI state schools . At its weight should still do well in SW District.. Very likely Alter has to play at at 50+ pace to advance @ 40 ppg won't cut it. They could stand to play with a lot more ball pressure bc they DO have 2 sport guys that can run and bump for spells. Next two games aren't gimmes.

They moved the CJ game to this weekend to have Greer back after he got hurt at McNick. Badin is playing some solid ball right now. Should be an interesting weekend for them.
Ageee with all the point made here. But did want to clarify a mistake you made here. The game against CJ has always been the last Saturday at the end of the season. They wouldn’t just move a game because a player is hurt. They played 3 games when that specific player was hurt.

As I have had time to digest the Northmont loss and the low scoring ball game Friday verses Carroll here are some concerns I have going forward. Turnovers….I believe they turned the ball over against Beavercreek earlier in the year like 20 times. The guards need to start taking care of the ball. Also going to point out how big of a disappointment Conner has been. After receiving 2 D1 offers this summer I thought he would be putting up numbers and making big plays but he hasn’t done squat. The bigs of Uhl and Lunne are soft and get pushed around. If you watched the game Tuesday they got bullied. This team has the talent to make it to state. But they are going to need other guys to step up and score the ball when Greer is getting face guarded. And take care of the darn ball. Depth has always been an issue but Coulter has never gone deep into his bench ever, so that’s not changing anytime soon.