Cotton Bowl: #9 Mizzou (10-2) vs. #7 Ohio State (11-1)

OSU fans already preparing for a loss which is a sad state of affairs.

If OSU, the 2nd most talented team in America to start the season (Bama #1), loses to Mizzou, who started the season unranked, it will exemplify the overall major issues facing what should be a top 4 program in the country.
If they were at full strength you might have a point.

Last edited:
"Neither the NCAA nor its member schools can force a college athlete to play in a bowl game. However, players who opt out can expect an avalanche of hostile publicity calling them selfish traitors to the glory of their college tradition."
Why? Their scholarship doesn't require them to play in bowl games. If it isn't a playoff game, I would rather have the players returning the following season to get the playing time. Use it as an early practice for the 2024 season.
It's a team sport. You are a POS to leave your teammates hanging.

Michigan 11 Nattys. 1 more on it's way this year. How many do the suckeyes have? I can't recall. Enjoy your (soft) contonelle bowl game against Missouri.
How many since you didn't win them by pollsters? Did you mention the playoff and NY6 record? I missed it

How many since you didn't win them by pollsters? Did you mention the playoff and NY6 record? I missed it
So now you are going to decide which ones count and which ones don't? Do you have a job title/description for that? A badge? Or a chestnut on your helmet?

Both teams have arrived in Dallas.

Ryan Day's presser does not address potential Buckeye opt outs for the Cotton Bowl.

Mizzou coach Eliah Drinkwitz stated the Tigers have no opt outs but two defensive starters will be unavailable due to injury.

Well this is going to be a fun thread. This wasn't Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, Florida...this was upstart Missouri. Picked 10th in the SEC before this season....
I just want there to be some kind of acknowledgement that the big ten is no where near a top conference, never has been. You play cupcakes all season in conference? You lift Penn State as your best win? I've always said Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State would lose 3-4 games a season in the SEC and not even sniff a playoff.
And this isn't about opt outs and transfer portals. Ohio State has 4-5 star players year after year after year. And they didn't have 25 opt outs, only a few.

1 opt out. 3 transfers. 2 injuries. I've got nothing. What was last year of both mich and bowl loss, not counting playoff last year?

Actually coming away thinking the SEC really wasn't all that good this year.

Missouri averaged over 34 ppg this year and basically did nothing offensively until thorough ineptness on offense stranded the OSU defense on the field and they wore them out at the end. This was far and away Missouri's worst offensive performance this year.

About 3 1/2 quarters of this game looked like an Iowa game against a Big Ten West opponent. Snooze fest.

Well this is going to be a fun thread. This wasn't Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, Florida...this was upstart Missouri. Picked 10th in the SEC before this season....
I just want there to be some kind of acknowledgement that the big ten is no where near a top conference, never has been. You play cupcakes all season in conference? You lift Penn State as your best win? I've always said Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State would lose 3-4 games a season in the SEC and not even sniff a playoff.
And this isn't about opt outs and transfer portals. Ohio State has 4-5 star players year after year after year. And they didn't have 25 opt outs, only a few.
We'll ignore they were a fg away from dethroning Georgia last year. Or have blasted Alabama in the playoffs.

Yep we'll use a one off game of questionable motivation in an off brand bowl with their starting QB transfered and best WR sitting out to make the determination OSU can't compete vs the SEC. 🤣

We'll ignore they were a fg away from dethroning Georgia last year. Or have blasted Alabama in the playoffs.

Yep we'll use a one off game of questionable motivation in an off brand bowl with their starting QB transfered and best WR sitting out to make the determination OSU can't compete vs the SEC. 🤣
Ryan Day is now 0-3 vs. the SEC.

Without context who cares?
At some point you either beat the SEC or you get fired.

In five years, Day’s Mona Lisa as a coach was playing UGA close and cratering in the fourth quarter last year. What is Day’s signature win? 2020 Clemson? 2023 Notre Dame fluke? There literally aren’t any other signature wins.

IMG_1600.jpeg

Defense played great until they simply ran out of gas in the 4th. Not sure the O-line was ready regardless who played QB, however the Buckeyes were definitely hurt by an inexperienced QB.

I watched some of the game with a Columbus resident and big Ohio State fan. The QB getting hurt aside, he felt the players looked like they didn’t want to be there. Play was lackadaisical and uninspired.

You could tell there were many fans from Missouri but that’s understandable given its proximity to Texas. I was surprised the OSU fanbase was only 30% of the attendees. Knowing they normally travel very well, was this Bowl not big enough for them? Did the team feel the disinterest of the OSU community? With the loss to Michigan and the QB leaving, I would think they would really want to support these players.