Div I, Region 4 Playoff Thread

About the same as in football. The AD hired a new hoops coach who is minimally more qualified than the football version.

Bowling and wrestling might be competitive.
I say 4 years on Lasalle bench and 2year head coach in a school in Dayton . Plus he is a colerain graduate. Makes him qualified. If he gets them to 500 ball it’s better then previous coaches

Both Drew Pasteur and Cal Preps have Big Moe by double digits. Despite not having JM, Moeller will not abandon the running game. Their stable of running backs is more than capable of carrying the load. The emergence of multiple receivers and the constant improvement of the Soph QB has been quite remarkable. He has many targets to choose from and I just do not see X defensive backs being able to shut down the Crusader wide outs or tight ends (plural). As far as the X offense is concerned, they have not lit it up as in past years. Their QB often telegraphs his throws and the Moe DBs are just to quick to the ball to get burned consistently. Lets face it, when anyone other than #7 is in the game you can stack the box and take away the run. Moeller's run defense is very good and I just do not see X being able to move the ball consistently on the ground. One aspect of the game that can not be overlooked is special teams. Moeller's kicker can consistently put the ball in the end zone and deprive the opponent's offense of good field position. Their punter has been booming the ball and negating the possibility of long punt returns. Unless X can match the field position advantage of Moeller they will undoubtedly have lots of ground to make up in order to score. Turnovers could be a difference maker just like in game one. This is a bad match up for X with or without JM. GBM 💪 🏈
Agree.

I think people are over-valuing X and Elder based on their conference affiliation. Certainly the game has to be played, but both Moe and LW have better talent across the board. It's not the be all end all, but both Elder and X are going to need their best games to win.

About the same as in football. The AD hired a new hoops coach who is minimally more qualified as the football version.

Agree.

I think people are over-valuing X and Elder based on their conference affiliation. Certainly the game has to be played, but both Moe and LW have better talent across the board. It's not the be all end all, but both Elder and X are going to need their best games to win.
Those are fair points. I personally have seen a lot of GCL teams who didn't seem to pose much of a threat coming into the playoffs come on strong in the postseason and end a lot of seasons early for Colerain so I personally have a bit of an imbalanced view of their potential.

I'm officially, OFFICIALLY calling it: Moeller wins tonight and meets Milford next week. Book it.

james bond goldeneye GIF

I would be surprised to see Lakota West beat Elder. In the one game Lakota West played against a non-GMC team (GMC competition is extremely poor), West only gained 94 yards of offense on 40 plays. It was clear in that game that West had several holes on their offense, especially at the QB position. Elder has won several playoff games with the same offensive makeup they have this year. Ramsay has been in this position a hundred times and has always proven to be able to get 3-4 yards per down and move the ball. I expect a GCL team who has played tough competition all year and shown to find offense against good defenses to win this game.

The last time Moeller and St. X played (week 5), X threw 3 interceptions, fumbled twice, and attempted to throw the ball 46 times. Despite this, X only lost by 10 points. A lot seems to have changed for X in the past seven weeks, which makes sense given they start 8 sophomores. In recent games, X has been a run heavy offense, featuring a sophomore RB who has rushed for 100+ in three out of the last four games. In addition, in week 5, Moe's QB was 6-21 for 62 yards while Jordan Marshall carried it 25 times for 146 yards. Taking away that many plays and the amount of offense JM produces will allow X to put pressure on Moe's QB who has had little success against the Bomber defense this year. I will not be surprised to see X control this game.

Not too worried about Milford, Hamilton, or Mason. None of these teams have much of a chance of beating a GCL team and winning the region. Milford, for example, is a beneficiary of a cupcake ECC schedule married with the Harbin points system. I agree that they may be considered a strong team, but they don't have the caliber players top to bottom of a GCL program and lack playoff experience. Without the one seed, the ECC team would likely not be in the regional final. I haven't seen much of Princeton this year but they are another team who has played poor competition all year, so I will be curious to see how they do in the playoffs. I expect them to beat Hamilton again, but expect that to be their final win of the season.

Regional Semifinal teams:

Elder
X
Princeton
Milford
You refer to West v StX...things are vastly different since then, but ok.

I think it’s chalk. Only possible upset is X over Moeller because it’s at X and Marshall is out, but Moeller is better. Milford should roll. West may not win by an impressive margin, but I don’t think the game will be in doubt. Princeton could win close or in a blowout against Hamilton, but I would be shocked if they lost.

Moeller 31-21
Milford 28-6
Lakota West 21-10
Princeton 35-14
#24 For Big Moe is in uniform and expected to be available tonight. GBM 💪 🏈

Watching Milford-Mason and my biggest takeaway is that Milford doesn’t have a prayer in the next round with their backup QB. Still likely going to win tonight because Mason isn’t going to score.

Milford 3
Mason 3
Half

Elder 14
Lakota West 10
Half

Princeton 14
Hamilton 7
Half

Moeller 0
St. X 0
2nd Q, Marshall is playing

……so all of the games are super close…

Milford TD on opening drive of 2nd half. They lead Mason 10-3.

Lakota West TD on first two drives of 2nd half. They lead Elder 24-14.

Milford actually missed the XP. Big, because Mason just blocked a punt and took it back for a TD. XP is good. Mason leads Milford 10-9.

Milford decided to field a punt inside their 5, muff it, but fortunately recover on the 4. 59 seconds left, down 1.

Milford QB narrowly avoids the safety, throws up a prayer, it’s caught for a 50+ yard gain BUT Milford gets called for ineligible man downfield negating the play.

After today's games, this actually might be the weakest R4 year in a long time, as some have said.

I still think Moe at full strength is the top dog, but damn, some very average teams playing tonight.

Officials deciding they want to be the stars of the game here at the end. Ineligible man downfield was dubious. On the next play, Mason made a big tackle in the field of play but get called for unsportsmanlike conduct for being pumped up about it. Let the kids decide the game, refs!

After today's games, this actually might be the weakest R4 year in a long time, as some have said.

I still think Moe at full strength is the top dog, but damn, some very average teams playing tonight.
Also, I think Moeller and Princeton are the two best teams. Princeton cruised tonight. Offense struggled a little bit because Hamilton has a good defense, but they still put points on the board.

Kind of sucks for Milford not having their QB. Would have really liked to have seen them against some of the R4 big dogs at full strength.
Seeing them tonight, their offensive line wouldn’t have held up at all. Mason had a good solid defense, but every other team remaining at this stage (except maybe Elder) has a better one. Receivers were nothing special. Mason just played man and then met at the QB in about 2 seconds.

Elder v Lakota West was very vanilla. Run left, run right, short pass - on both sides. LW defense is good, but not the best in the state. Elder defense couldn't tackle. Elder lacks athletes all over and may be in for a rough few years. Did not feel like a playoff game as both teams looked very average.