#15, 2-6, "Control Own Destiny"...THE PLAYOFFS KINDA SUCK.

12 really was the perfect number to appease everybody. I got my top teams fighting for a bye. 10-12 seeds would have fighting chances round 1 which lends to better eexperiences.* An extra week of games minus the slaughterfests mustve made too much sense
Interesting conundrum. Some top 4 seeds would probably want to keep the momentum going, whereas others might want to give their players a bit of rest to prep for the stretch run. Would love to hear some coaches' opinions on this.

I think Ohio should adopt the same system they use in Michigan. 9 regular season games. If you are above .500 you make the playoffs. If you're below, you don't. I knew a guy who coached up there. I asked him if there were problems with uneven numbers. He said mathematically it tends to work out. There are some first round byes to account for uneven numbers, but they are rare.

I think Ohio should adopt the same system they use in Michigan. 9 regular season games. If you are above .500 you make the playoffs. If you're below, you don't. I knew a guy who coached up there. I asked him if there were problems with uneven numbers. He said mathematically it tends to work out. There are some first round byes to account for uneven numbers, but they are rare.
What do you do about a D4 or 5 that plays a bunch of state powers in D1 and 2? Basically teams like Mooney and Ursuline who for instance one year went 3-7 and blew out the eventual state champion SV-SM by over 40 points and are legitimate state title contenders.

Interesting conundrum. Some top 4 seeds would probably want to keep the momentum going, whereas others might want to give their players a bit of rest to prep for the stretch run. Would love to hear some coaches' opinions on this.
Im pretty sure the coaches wanted 12. And you do raise a legitmate point but I think in the end the top 4 seeds in the majority would opt to get rest and the HCs getiting to go scout the next weeks opponent in person and put their own eyeballs on who theyll play

What do you do about a D4 or 5 that plays a bunch of state powers in D1 and 2? Basically teams like Mooney and Ursuline who for instance one year went 3-7 and blew out the eventual state champion SV-SM by over 40 points and are legitimate state title contenders.
They didnt make the playoffs that year either.

You’re partly right. But watering them down with teams who don’t deserve to be there can be a disservice to those kids…… not to mention what getting beat 72-0 with a running clock does for their confidence let alone what getting smacked around every play does physically. Why stretch 10 weeks of that into 11
And with a 12-16 team playoff format that's all week 11 is just an extension of the regular season and sometimes week 12. The only rare exception was #16 seed 3-7 team beating #1 seed, undefeated Xenia last year.

Beat them, it is possible or if their not in your conference don't schedule all of them maybe 1 or 2.

A 16-team playoff simply rewards mediocrity and is a slap in the face to the kids and coaches that put in work, that come to practice everyday, that are dedicated and really want to achieve an ultimate goal. But when you allow a low achieving team a chance to achieve what winning teams work for, you're rewarding players that come to practice when they want, don't work hard, don't respect their coach or won't let you coach them and take the path of least resistance and they don't have a team goal they just want to play. That's when you get 72, 49, 56-0 games and the like. This is what you have in the playoffs, you can give half physical and mental effort and make it. That's the way of the world now. Literally, everyone gets a participation trophy.

We'll never know. They should of went 7-3 they had the chance.
If they would have went 7-3 that would have made them in the top 5 or 10 teams in the state that year irrespective of division. Every other team in their division would have gone 0-10 against their schedule.

Why even do Regions? Top 32 Harbin Points in each division go to the Playoffs. Reward teams for scheduling tough teams and reward them for winning those games in the regular season. No need for 16 weeks in High School. I do not know the answer but a 1 win or no-win team making the post season does take away from the prestige of the playoffs. Would a 0-10 or 1-9 team Print playoff shirts?

Beat them, it is possible or if their not in your conference don't schedule all of them maybe 1 or 2.
They had to schedule them because no one else was willing to play them because they would have got slaughtered if they did. Note the eventual state champion SV-SM got beat by 40+ points, so why would anyone in their right mind want to play them and lose 70-0?

I do not know the answer but a 1 win or no-win team making the post season does take away from the prestige of the playoffs. Would a 0-10 or 1-9 team Print playoff shirts?
If that no win or 1 win team can blow out the state champion in their division then I don't think the fact they got in would take away from the prestige. If the 0 or 1 win team proceeds would get obliterated in the first round then it definitely takes away some of the luster.

If that no win or 1 win team can blow out the state champion in their division then I don't think the fact they got in would take away from the prestige. If the 0 or 1 win team proceeds would get obliterated in the first round then it definitely takes away some of the luster.
Agree.

They do not do that anymore. Michigan has adopted a points based system much like Ohio's.

Everyone knows letting 16 teams in d-1 is totally stupid when the region has like 18-20 teams. 16 is fine for normal regions with many more teams. I prefer the 8 team playoff but am ok with 16 in normal sized regions. Just go back to a bye and make it 8 or 12 for d-1.

A 16-team playoff simply rewards mediocrity and is a slap in the face to the kids and coaches that put in work, that come to practice everyday, that are dedicated and really want to achieve an ultimate goal. But when you allow a low achieving team a chance to achieve what winning teams work for, you're rewarding players that come to practice when they want, don't work hard, don't respect their coach or won't let you coach them and take the path of least resistance and they don't have a team goal they just want to play.
Agree that a 16-seed doesn't belong.

Disagree with the implication that all teams at that level are a bunch of slackers. The really bad team I played on showed up, worked hard, took coaching, and wanted to be a good team. We were simply not very good. Two years later we were.

Agree that a 16-seed doesn't belong.

Disagree with the implication that all teams at that level are a bunch of slackers. The really bad team I played on showed up, worked hard, took coaching, and wanted to be a good team. We were simply not very good. Two years later we were.
I'm expressing for the most part, not all bad teams but those are characteristics of most losing teams especially in high school. My point is essentially that's what you're rewarding.

It is all about $$$. As long as the extra round of playoffs are bringing in net more $$, nothing will change. I do not see any downside. Even if you are on a team that gets clobbered in the first round, you got to play in the playoffs. That memory will last the rest of your life.
Bad memories for those 1-9, 16 seeds that get boat raced 63-0

Wow! People like you are the type of people that REALLY shouldn't be involved in youth sports. You only proved my earlier point.
I would say the EXACT same thing about you-- only double--because YOU are not about doing what is best for the student athletes-- you have this delusion that we (the OHSAA, spectators, hangers-on, or whomever) need to somehow "optimize the competition" to make it the most interesting or attractive to spectators and other non-participants not on the field, or (even sillier) to enhance the amount of revenue that schools pull in from the games, never once recognizing that ALL HS sports (including football at the most well-attended HS's) are total money losers, in EVERY instance-- they are put on to provide extraCURRICULAR education to the student-athletes-- NOT to optimize YOUR viewing pleasure, NOR to increase the alleged (but, in fact, non-existent) profits generated by the games, for the participating schools.

Shorten the regular season?! For what? So Ashtabula Lakeside can "experience" playing Hoban in the "playoffs??" So we can lose some more of the few big regular season games we still have? Bring value back to the regular season not devalue it what the hell lol
Not your call-- and hopefully, the OHSAA ignores people like you, in favor of providing a desired experience (presumably-- but I'll leave it to them to express their views) to the Ashtabula Lakeside players over your irrelevant wishes.

Who is this "we" that you mention twice???-- certainly, it is NOT the student-athletes on the teams that would LIKE to be in the OHSAA-sanctioned state playoffs-- but are currently NOT afforded that opportunity, as is EVERY OTHER student-athlete in EVERY OTHER SPORT in Ohio HS.

12 really was the perfect number to appease everybody. I got my top teams fighting for a bye. 10-12 seeds would have fighting chances round 1 which lends to better eexperiences.* An extra week of games minus the slaughterfests mustve made too much sense
Nope-- every team in is the perfect number/answer.

It's not for me to decide, but if they had playoffs in my day, I know what nearly everyone on our 2-8 team would have wanted, as opposed to playing a state power of the time.

If you don't think kids in that situation are pressured to play by "adults", you're naive as hell or not being totally honest.
If they don't want to play football-- don't go out for the football team. There is nothing complicated about that.

Put everybody in-- problem solved.

A 16-team playoff simply rewards mediocrity and is a slap in the face to the kids and coaches that put in work, that come to practice everyday, that are dedicated and really want to achieve an ultimate goal. But when you allow a low achieving team a chance to achieve what winning teams work for, you're rewarding players that come to practice when they want, don't work hard, don't respect their coach or won't let you coach them and take the path of least resistance and they don't have a team goal they just want to play. That's when you get 72, 49, 56-0 games and the like. This is what you have in the playoffs, you can give half physical and mental effort and make it. That's the way of the world now. Literally, everyone gets a participation trophy.
This is absurd-- there is no "slap in the face" to the team that wins in dominant fashion, in a first-round playoff game-- that team just moves on, happy to have won another game (and probably padded its season stats considerably). Also, NO ONE gets a participation trophy just for appearing in a first-round playoff game-- that is also an unfounded claim.

Why even do Regions? Top 32 Harbin Points in each division go to the Playoffs. Reward teams for scheduling tough teams and reward them for winning those games in the regular season. No need for 16 weeks in High School. I do not know the answer but a 1 win or no-win team making the post season does take away from the prestige of the playoffs. Would a 0-10 or 1-9 team Print playoff shirts?
Kinda doubt it-- but if they DID, so what-- who does it hurt, for those kids to have a silly t-shirt?... and, if the regular season is shortened by a week, then there is no need to add a week to the overall season's duration.

Not your call-- and hopefully, the OHSAA ignores people like you, in favor of providing a desired experience (presumably-- but I'll leave it to them to express their views) to the Ashtabula Lakeside players over your irrelevant wishes.

Who is this "we" that you mention twice???-- certainly, it is NOT the student-athletes on the teams that would LIKE to be in the OHSAA-sanctioned state playoffs-- but are currently NOT afforded that opportunity, as is EVERY OTHER student-athlete in EVERY OTHER SPORT in Ohio HS.
Youre an idiot of unbelievable proportions lmao you keep siiting on your yappi high horse tho. I dont care nearly as much the guy responding to every message ( that would be you). 16 teams is too many and also State championships or participating in the tournament are not the end be all of high school athletics Mr I care about the kids. You can have a good experience playing without having to travel a hour to get killed on a cold night in the "playoffs"

Youre an idiot of unbelievable proportions lmao you keep siiting on your yappi high horse tho. I dont care nearly as much the guy responding to every message ( that would be you). 16 teams is too many and also State championships or participating in the tournament are not the end be all of high school athletics Mr I care about the kids. You can have a good experience playing without having to travel a hour to get killed on a cold night in the "playoffs"
Takes an idiot to start calling someone else with more and better understanding of a topic an "idiot"-- doesn't really help your "brilliance" argument, when you fill your retort with grammatical and spelling errors.