2023 Elder Freshman Football

EHS says frosh won 19-13
Needed the defense to get a turnover (I think less than a minute left) and then a 60+ yard pass play on the last play of the game to get the win, but yes you are correct they beat Mason 19-14. Fun win for the kids (and coaches too)!

Yes, definitely was at Elder in the mid 70s. I think he was an assistant under Ken Haupt. Maybe he left when Haupt did and Bachus took over.
Do you think this is a Hyzdu snub for some reason or just bad journalism.
how can you write a glowing article about a coach and not mention where he started.

Do you think this is a Hyzdu snub for some reason or just bad journalism.
how can you write a glowing article about a coach and not mention where he started.
I guess unless Klonne brought it up the Enquirer staff would not have known without doing research on their own. Maybe Klonne wanted Haupt’s job when he left and wasn’t happy when he didn’t get it. That is speculation on my part, I have no idea if that was the case or not.

I guess unless Klonne brought it up the Enquirer staff would not have known without doing research on their own. Maybe Klonne wanted Haupt’s job when he left and wasn’t happy when he didn’t get it. That is speculation on my part, I have no idea if that was the case or not.
Was it the job Bachus got or Grippa?

Maybe Klonne wanted Haupt’s job when he left and wasn’t happy when he didn’t get it. That is speculation on my part, I have no idea if that was the case or not.
That's always been my understanding--Klonne left after Bachus got the job over him.

Was it the job Bachus got or Grippa?
Bachus. Owens followed Bachus (not so fondly remembered as the lost ‘80’s) and Grippa followed Owens. I don’t know if Klonne applied for any of the HC openings after Bachus. I only assume he had applied for the job when Bachus got it.

This is what we understood at Moe.

I believe he had a stop at Turpin as well. I’m not a subscriber so cannot read the article. I assume his time at McNick is mentioned?

Actually, I guess you can say that Bachus coached teams struggled, too. Bachus had a losing record against Oak Hills going 2-3 between 79 and 83.

Klonne was under Haupt until Haupt left after the 1974 football season. Ray Bachus was named head coach for the 1975 football season. Klonne coached under Bachus that year as the defensive coordinator. Klonne left after the 1975 season.
Thanks for the clarification on the timeline. I didn’t remember Klonne coaching under Bachus.

Thanks for the clarification on the timeline. I didn’t remember Klonne coaching under Bachus.
No problem. To finish the timeline the article did not cover was that in 1976 and 1977 Klonne was the offensive and defensive line coach at Turpin. He then went to Moeller in 1978 and joined Coach Faust staff holding many different coaching positions. In 1982 he became Head Coach at Moeller.

No problem. To finish the timeline the article did not cover was that in 1976 and 1977 Klonne was the offensive and defensive line coach at Turpin. He then went to Moeller in 1978 and joined Coach Faust staff holding many different coaching positions. In 1982 he became Head Coach at Moeller.
He apparently coached 3 years at Mt Healthy under Owen Hauck before Elder. Interesting career.

Needed the defense to get a turnover (I think less than a minute left) and then a 60+ yard pass play on the last play of the game to get the win, but yes you are correct they beat Mason 19-14. Fun win for the kids (and coaches too)!
A 60 yard Hail Mary or a 60 yard pass play to get a 1st Down & run out the clock.

A 60 yard Hail Mary or a 60 yard pass play to get a 1st Down & run out the clock.
It wasn’t really a Hail Mary, a normal pass play. Elder was losing 14-13 when they got the ball back on the fumble recovery. This was going to be the last play of the game regardless of what happened and there was no way any of Elder’s freshmen QBs could have thrown the ball into the end zone for a typical Hail Mary. The ball traveled maybe twenty yards in the air and the receiver out ran the defenders to the end zone. I think Andrioco (sp?) was at QB for that series and maybe Paff was the receiver. The receiver was able to get a few steps behind the defense and the QB pretty much hit him in stride. It was a beautiful play. Elder’s offense had three critical turnovers in the game, at least two of them deep in Mason territory. One of Mason’s two TDs came on a pic 6. Mason had a pretty good running back who broke a long run tor their other TD. Overall Elder played a pretty good game.

Last edited: