Elder Basketball 2022-2023

Thomas More also played in the NAIA National Title game a 2 years ago. It's a great choice for him and they play at a high level. For comparison sake they would probably beat MSJ who is D3 by 50 or more.

Last edited:
Good for Browne. Thomas More is a good D3 program. He was probably D1 when things were different.
Great for Browne. Playing at any level in college is great. Thomas More is actually NAIA now, but I believe they are transitioning to D2. My point is that people don't understand how talented/big/fast/athletic you have to be to play basketball at the D1 level.

Thomas More also played in the JuCo National Title game a 2 years ago. It's a great choice for him and they play at a high level. For comparison sake they would probably beat MSJ who is D3 by 50 or more.
50 is stretching it, but yes, they are significantly better.

MSJ played Cleveland St (D1) this year and only lost by 30.

I could see TM competing with the lower ends of D1 and would probably give a decent game to a team like Clev St.

Last edited:
Great for Browne. Playing at any level in college is great. Thomas More is actually NAIA now, but I believe they are transitioning to D2. My point is that people don't understand how talented/big/fast/athletic you have to be to play basketball at the D1 level.
Guys at the D1 level are freaks when it comes to size, speed, power and explosiveness. You are right on.

Browne commits to Thomas More. As I said, he is not a D1 college basketball player. Most people have no idea who big/fast/athletic you (usually) have to be to play D1 college basketball.
This isn't a knock, but in my opinion Browne is a better player than Custer who played at Wright St. Was he not on scholarship? Granted that was pre-portal, so maybe in the portal era you're right.

I don't know the ins and outs of recruiting for basketball, as you claim to, so I'm not going to say you're wrong. I'm just surprised there wasn't an NKU or Wright St who wanted to give him a chance.

This isn't a knock, but in my opinion Browne is a better player than Custer who played at Wright St. Was he not on scholarship? Granted that was pre-portal, so maybe in the portal era you're right.

I don't know the ins and outs of recruiting for basketball, as you claim to, so I'm not going to say you're wrong. I'm just surprised there wasn't an NKU or Wright St who wanted to give him a chance.
I think Custer was more of a perimeter threat. A 6’7 kid who could shoot it, if I remember correctly. Browne is more of an inside player. That’s more than likely why Custer got a D1 offer.

I think Custer was more of a perimeter threat. A 6’7 kid who could shoot it, if I remember correctly. Browne is more of an inside player. That’s more than likely why Custer got a D1 offer.
Custer definitely more in the mold of a pure stretch 4, that's true. But it wasn't like Browne sat on the block or in the post the entire game. He's a better inside as a scorer, probably feels more comfortable in there too, but he played quite a bit on the perimeter and showed the ability to shoot the 3 effectively. Half the Elder posters (looking at you Pboy) on the board were screaming their heads off all season that he needed to get inside more ha.

Brown was 2nd Team All Ohio. I didn't see any promotion from Elder on this so a lot of Elder fans probably missed it.

6'8"/6'9" and 2nd Team All Ohio would have been D1 pre portal era. I don't claim to be an expert with the recruiting, but it seems less fringe D1 players are getting offers these days. I would have thought more IVY league schools would be interested also.

Either way, he is headed to a great program, good for him.

Brown was 2nd Team All Ohio. I didn't see any promotion from Elder on this so a lot of Elder fans probably missed it.

6'8"/6'9" and 2nd Team All Ohio would have been D1 pre portal era. I don't claim to be an expert with the recruiting, but it seems less fringe D1 players are getting offers these days. I would have thought more IVY league schools would be interested also.

Either way, he is headed to a great program, good for him.
JS tweeted about it.

Custer definitely more in the mold of a pure stretch 4, that's true. But it wasn't like Browne sat on the block or in the post the entire game. He's a better inside as a scorer, probably feels more comfortable in there too, but he played quite a bit on the perimeter and showed the ability to shoot the 3 effectively. Half the Elder posters (looking at you Pboy) on the board were screaming their heads off all season that he needed to get inside more ha.
Another thing to keep in mind with recruitment is the performance he had playing against similar D1 talent during the AAU season. Outside of football, ALL other athletes earn their scholarships through playing on their club teams. The better your team does in these tournaments and the better you play against top competition, the more likely you will earn a scholarship at a higher level college program. I have heard from high school basketball coaches that players have gone from a D2 to D1 recruit (& vice versa) just off their play in one tournament.

High school results/accolades only validate your club performance.

Covid and the portal are killing guys like Browne. CJ Frederick who just transferred to UC still has 2 years left to play. He will be 26 when his eligibility is up.

50 is stretching it, but yes, they are significantly better.

MSJ played Cleveland St (D1) this year and only lost by 30.

I could see TM competing with the lower ends of D1 and would probably give a decent game to a team like Clev St.
Man you like to argue, you get the point of what I'm saying. TMU has former D1 guys playing for them and others who are playing or could of played overseas. They are in a spot where they recruit high level D2 guys and look for D1 kids who are in the portal but don't have other D1 options.

MSJ is playing guys like Willard Cluxton, Josh Batte, and Matthew Menninger. Nothing against MSJ but its a completely different level.

Another thing to keep in mind with recruitment is the performance he had playing against similar D1 talent during the AAU season. Outside of football, ALL other athletes earn their scholarships through playing on their club teams. The better your team does in these tournaments and the better you play against top competition, the more likely you will earn a scholarship at a higher level college program. I have heard from high school basketball coaches that players have gone from a D2 to D1 recruit (& vice versa) just off their play in one tournament.

High school results/accolades only validate your club performance.
Very good point I did not think about.

After checking twitter accounts it seems like Browne and many others not mentioned Lakota kids and such played at high levels aau. The extra covid years and portal have had a much bigger impact like jelder said then I think any of us are aware of. Thomas More was in the NAIA final four two years ago and are going to D-2 next year so maybe he picked them over some other small D-1 schools? Speculation is great but who knows. Hopefully him and Whitmer have great experiences where they go! They have both had a great impact on Elder basketball!

Man you like to argue, you get the point of what I'm saying. TMU has former D1 guys playing for them and others who are playing or could of played overseas. They are in a spot where they recruit high level D2 guys and look for D1 kids who are in the portal but don't have other D1 options.

MSJ is playing guys like Willard Cluxton, Josh Batte, and Matthew Menninger. Nothing against MSJ but its a completely different level.
I'm not arguing anything, but 50 points better is a bit dramatic.

And are guys like JT Miller and Nate Vogelpohl better than the MSJ kids you listed? Aiden Schneider, Riley Haubner? They're pretty much the same level of talent that came from the GCL. TM has some MSJ level players on the tail end of the roster.

But yes, overall, TM is much better.

Last edited:
After checking twitter accounts it seems like Browne and many others not mentioned Lakota kids and such played at high levels aau. The extra covid years and portal have had a much bigger impact like jelder said then I think any of us are aware of. Thomas More was in the NAIA final four two years ago and are going to D-2 next year so maybe he picked them over some other small D-1 schools? Speculation is great but who knows. Hopefully him and Whitmer have great experiences where they go! They have both had a great impact on Elder basketball!
Has Dudukovich committed anywhere yet? I'd have to guess he's getting a D-1 offer.

I'm not arguing anything, but 50 points better is a bit dramatic.

And are guys like JT Miller and Nate Vogelpohl better than the MSJ kids you listed? Aiden Schneider, Riley Haubner? They're pretty much the same level of talent that came from the GCL. TM has some MSJ level players on the tail end of the roster.

But yes, overall, TM is much better.
They have 18-20 kids in the roster. The kids u named pay full tuition and never see the floor. Think of them as a D1 walk on.

Has Dudukovich committed anywhere yet? I'd have to guess he's getting a D-1 offer.
He had an offer from Radford but not sure if they pulled it. He is another kid TMU was/is after. A lot of these kids wait for better offers and get left in the dark. I think he’s a great D2 player. Elite shooter, good size, just not very athletic and can’t go by people at the D1 level.

He had an offer from Radford but not sure if they pulled it. He is another kid TMU was/is after. A lot of these kids wait for better offers and get left in the dark. I think he’s a great D2 player. Elite shooter, good size, just not very athletic and can’t go by people at the D1 level.
That's a real solid get if TM can land him. I'm sure he's holding out for D1. I think he could score at the lower D1 level, but he's like every other kid on the fence, with covid taking opportunity away.

Last edited:
I was curious about that. It seems like alot and more than a typical D1 team would have. Do that many kids get to sit on the bench for games?
For home games they sit the bench, not all will travel for road games. Basically those kids are helping to fund the program. It says a lot about their character to stay and keep going through the grind year after year.

That's a real solid get if TM can land him. I'm sure he's holding out for D1. I think he could score at the lower D1 level, but he's like every other kid on the fence, with covid taking opportunity away.
From what i heard he was really holding out for a Miami Oh offer and instead they gave the scholly to Evan Isparo the guard from New Richmond that played for Cov Cath. Elmer from Taft is also heading to Miami. Travis Steele will do a good job there, Isparo is a GREAT player and will do really well at Miami.

Omar going to be upset when X announces their new hire today.
The end of the world is back on...

He's going to be even more upset when he realizes Daddy Fleming will I'm sure be offering his services to Junior on how to beat everyone in the GCL.