Elder Basketball 2022-2023

Omar, what finally satisfies you with Elder? What's the end game you're looking for? Does that exist or do you just enjoy talking about how everything could be better constantly? You paint this picture that every coach and administrator is near incompetence, and that most of the athletes aren't good enough either.

Last edited:
Omar, what finally satisfies you with Elder? What's the end game you're looking for? Does that exist or do you just enjoy talking about how everything could be better constantly? You paint this picture that every coach and administrator is near incompetence, and that most of the athletes aren't good enough either.
Your last sentence is hyperbole. I might have criticisms, but I’m making a conscientious effort to be less abrasive about them. I also always give credit where it’s due. Both the Football & Basketball staffs have done a great job this season.

And as I’ve told you many times, there’s no definitive end game. There’s going to be fluctuations in success over time. My biggest overall goal would be to see those fluctuations scaled down, to where they’re more consistently competitive at a high level.

You literally said no one on the basketball staff is capable of replacing JS, and you constantly say the talent isn't good enough. That's not hyperbole on my part, it's what you said. You consistently downplay the talents of their sports leaders and athletes.

You literally said no one on the basketball staff is capable of replacing JS, and you constantly say the talent isn't good enough. That's not hyperbole on my part, it's what you said. You consistently downplay the talents of their sports leaders and athletes.
I don’t think anyone on staff can replace him. And I don’t downplay the talent, I’m the one defending the player’s talent level when all you want to do is boil down their success to “grit and toughness.”

There is something to be said about having a good deal of success with just the feeder kids. It's not the norm across the city anymore, but they don't really recruit athletes and still have some pretty good athletic success. That can and should be commended.

Does recruiting over those feeder kids create what happened at LaSalle? Those parents are not happy and it is resulting in decreased enrollment. It doesn't seem like they want that distraction.

And you do say they need better talent all the time. That's pretty much implying that what they have isn't good enough. You say every year they need better players to compete with big boys of the state.

If it’s Jordan Murphy that’s on staff still, he has to be a decent choice. Been on staff for a few years and also played under JS a decade or so ago, so that’s being a part of the program for, what, close to 10 years in total? Factor in that he played college basketball and he would seem to be a solid, and qualified, choice.

There is something to be said about having a good deal of success with just the feeder kids. It's not the norm across the city anymore, but they don't really recruit athletes and still have some pretty good athletic success. That can and should be commended.

Does recruiting over those feeder kids create what happened at LaSalle? Those parents are not happy and it is resulting in decreased enrollment. It doesn't seem like they want that distraction.

And you do say they need better talent all the time. That's pretty much implying that what they have isn't good enough. You say every year they need better players to compete with big boys of the state.
they do need 1-2 high level athletes per class to compete in football. You can be offended by that all you want but that was evident in the Moeller & Lakota West games. The hard truth is there isn’t enough feeder talent to keep them competitive.

And that doesn’t mean they have to recruit. They have 2 highly ranked QBs coming in the Frosh class. One from NKY, the other from South Lebanon. Elder can sell itself with the facilities and tradition.

Basketball is a difft story. IMO, the 2 previous teams were capable of winning a state title. They just happen to suffer 2 heartbreaking losses in the tournament.

Last edited:
What was the western basketball conference like this year talent wise? I heard Victory and Lourdes had good 8th grade teams. Who were some of the stand out players?

What was the western basketball conference like this year talent wise? I heard Victory and Lourdes had good 8th grade teams. Who were some of the stand out players?
I think Elder should have a pretty good freshman bball team next year. Some good players in the 8th grade feeder pool at various schools.

Not college level studs like Omar wants, but good enough to compete for GCL.

I think Elder should have a pretty good freshman bball team next year. Some good players in the 8th grade feeder pool at various schools.

Not college level studs like Omar wants, but good enough to compete for GCL.
Like I said, you don’t need D1 players in bball. Bball isn’t dominated by speed & athleticism like football.

Murphy would be the only coach on staff that would have any chance at the E job if JS stepped down for a lot of different reasons. That's the bottom line.

Murphy would be the only coach on staff that would have any chance at the E job if JS stepped down for a lot of different reasons. That's the bottom line.
Competence and want-to are two different things. I was talking in terms of competence. Whitmer, Murphy, Bengel and Schenke are competent enough coaches to take it on. Do they want it, or can they do it with their other responsibilities is a different question.

Probably too soon for Harp, but he will get there someday.

I don't know if it was his intent, but Omar insinuated there's no one on the staff experienced/good enough to take it over. I don't agree with that.

Last edited:
The Elder vs Fairmont game in the regular season was a weird game. Elder was up by 20 in the 3rd qtr and Fairmont cut it to 5 late in the game. Fairmont got hot and hit like 5 3s in a few a minutes.
Who is the assistant for Fairmont? Younger guy. We sat behind the bench at this game and he does a great job, we talked to him after the game. I noticed him on the bench last year in their district championship game vs Sycamore. He seems to always have the other teams game plans down and is always calling out exactly what they are doing.

I realize we were talking about people on staff currently, but if and when Joe is ready, the answer is Tim Austing. Not sure if you can financially get him from Sycamore, but it is the absolute best option.

Tim (still) loves Elder and in my opinion would take it...if it was just a basketball decision.

Last edited:
I realize we were talking about people on staff currently, but if and when Joe is ready, the answer is Tim Austing. Not sure if you can financially get him from Sycamore, but it is the absolute best option.

Tim (still) loves Elder and in my opinion would take it, if it was just a basketball decision.
We had this debate on the GMC thread. From everything I’ve heard about Coach Austing (and Coach Datillo for that matter), they would absolutely go back to be the head coach at Elder. They wouldn’t go if it was forcing Coach Schoenfeld or Coach Ramsay out, but their hearts are at Elder.

Tim (still) loves Elder and in my opinion would take it, if it was just a basketball decision.

Austing absolutely deserves it IMO. He’s waited patiently for 20 plus years for the job to open up and been extremely loyal to Elder for so long.

We had this debate on the GMC thread. From everything I’ve heard about Coach Austing (and Coach Datillo for that matter), they would absolutely go back to be the head coach at Elder. They wouldn’t go if it was forcing Coach Schoenfeld or Coach Ramsay out, but their hearts are at Elder.
Most Elder fans would love that scenario. The $ aspect has always appeared to be the biggest roadblock in making it work.

I could see Austing back at Elder, not sure about Datillo. I believe Datillo is around the same age as Ramsey. Would he want to jump ship in his late 50/early 60s?

Competence and want-to are two different things. I was talking in terms of competence. Whitmer, Murphy, Bengel and Schenke are competent enough coaches to take it on. Do they want it, or can they do it with their other responsibilities is a different question.

Probably too soon for Harp, but he will get there someday.

I don't know if it was his intent, but Omar insinuated there's no one on the staff experienced/good enough to take it over. I don't agree with that.
I never questioned their competency, that’s you putting words in my mouth. I don’t believe they have the experience to run a Varsity team, that’s not the same thing.

I never questioned their competency, that’s you putting words in my mouth. I don’t believe they have the experience to run a Varsity team, that’s not the same thing.
How does one get that experience? Experience has to start somewhere and, IMO, if you've served as an assistant for so long, you deserve a shot.

How does one get that experience? Experience has to start somewhere and, IMO, if you've served as an assistant for so long, you deserve a shot.
Why? You don’t get rewarded at work for just sticking around a long time. Maybe you get some kind of plaque or gift card, but you have to produce to get promoted.

Why? You don’t get rewarded at work for just sticking around a long time. Maybe you get some kind of plaque or gift card, but you have to produce to get promoted.
Right, but how do you measure the success of an assistant coach then? The team has had some good years recently; don't you think some current assistants have something to do with that?

Right, but how do you measure the success of an assistant coach then? The team has had some good years recently; don't you think some current assistants have something to do with that?
I think you push your quality Assts to take HC jobs if they’re interested in being HC. Look at the decline w/ LS’s program. And Elder’s best Asst in recent yrs was coaching against them on Friday.

Most Elder fans would love that scenario. The $ aspect has always appeared to be the biggest roadblock in making it work.

I could see Austing back at Elder, not sure about Datillo. I believe Datillo is around the same age as Ramsey. Would he want to jump ship in his late 50/early 60s?
Dattilo is 52. I do think that puts him only 5 years younger than Ramsay.

I believe he hits 30 years of teaching in public schools next year, so he’ll have his full pension. He’s the highest paid non-principal in the Sycamore school district.

Dattilo is 52. I do think that puts him only 5 years younger than Ramsay.

I believe he hits 30 years of teaching in public schools next year, so he’ll have his full pension. He’s the highest paid non-principal in the Sycamore school district.
If Ramsey leaves in the next 3-5 years, Datillo would be my personal preference to replace him. Beyond that time frame, I really like Peyton, assuming he stays on staff.

Jason Murphy and Tim Austing were the best Assistants they had. Not sold on any of the ones they have now except maybe Jordan Murphy.

The basketball team has had its most sustained success the last 3-4 years in like 10-15 years and people don't think the staff had anything to do with that? Tough crowd.

The experience learning under Coach Joe is more than enough. Cmon, this is high school sports. It's not that serious. Did Coach Joe have experience running a varsity team when he took over? Did Coach Ramsey? You get my point.

Elder has plenty of qualified coaches in house to take over when Coach Joe decides to retire.