Local high school musical abruptly halted, deemed ‘vulgar’

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
After months of planning, a local school district abruptly canceled its musical, claiming it was “vulgar.”

In a statement, the Cardinal Local Schools superintendent Jack Cunningham said, “The Cardinal Local School District has decided that its spring musical production will not be ‘The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.’ Its dialogue and song lyrics contain vulgarity and are therefore not suitable for our pre-teen and teenage students in an educational setting.”

Jesus and gay characters in the same play?

Tim And Eric Reaction GIF

My unfortunate erection
Is destroying my perfection
It is my recollection
That everything I once did
I did perfectly
Last year’s champ defeated!
Because of
Marigold Coneybear
Because there’s something and not a thing between us
I don’t blame my brain but I do blame my penis

My unfortunate protuberance
Seems to have its own exuberance
Anyone for M & M’s?
Delicious and appropriate
Anyone for Chewy Goobers?
Inexpensive
Anyone for buying the s#@t that I’m selling?
Because my stiffy has ruined my spelling

Erection
Erection
My unfortunate erection
Whoa
It’s ruining my life
It’s ruining my world
It’s ruining my
Ruining
Ruining
Ruining my life
My life

Adulthood brings its own peculiar rejection
Which is why I’m selling this PTA
Confection
It will ruin your complexion
All because of my unfortunate
Erection
Oh God

What parent, grandparent, taxpayer, or voter would ever complain about a song about a boner?

Last edited:
Wouldn’t the school board have been approached about doing this particular musical before they started auditions and rehearsals?

Usually schools have to pay for the rights to put on a performance of plays. They’re not public domain. Someone had to approve this from the beginning

My unfortunate erection
It is my recollection
I did perfectly
Because of
Marigold Coneybear

Anyone for M & M’s?
Inexpensive
Anyone for buying the that I’m selling?

Erection
Erection
My unfortunate erection
Whoa
It’s ruining my life
It’s ruining my world
It’s ruining my
Ruining
Ruining
Ruining my life
My life

Confection
Erection
Oh God

What parent, grandparent, taxpayer, or voter would ever complain about a song about a boner?
Could be a touchy subject for anyone suffering from ED. 🤷‍♂️

My unfortunate erection
It is my recollection
I did perfectly
Because of
Marigold Coneybear

Anyone for M & M’s?
Inexpensive
Anyone for buying the that I’m selling?

Erection
Erection
My unfortunate erection
Whoa
It’s ruining my life
It’s ruining my world
It’s ruining my
Ruining
Ruining
Ruining my life
My life

Confection
Erection
Oh God

Lyrics are often edited for high school productions. My high school (eons ago) did a production of Grease that was modified for high school, editing some of the R-rated lyrics.

You think the school got the approval to buy the rights for the play through the drama teacher? Someone from the board had to approve the cost.
It's just one of thousands of school expenses and probably budgeted for annually.

Almost zero chance the board had to approve this specifically.

And one board member cannot approve anything.

You think the school got the approval to buy the rights for the play through the drama teacher? Someone from the board had to approve the cost.
The school I attended simply allocated a budget to the music department which included putting on the annual musical, funding the traveling ensemble, funding choir competition and funding band competitions. The two teachers, band and music, were entirely responsible for their spending of their budgets. One year the music teacher asked several of us if we would want to form an all male performance choir as they had extra money in the budget. So eight of us agreed to it, and she purchased music of several negro spirituals, which we went around to several locations and performed throughout the year. Other than the signed parental release, the teacher was in total control of what and where we performed. I would assume that would not be an anomaly.

How many preteens are attending this high school? 🤨 Maybe it’s been so long since I’ve been in school but in general thought 12 years old was roughly 6th grade.

Lyrics are often edited for high school productions. My high school (eons ago) did a production of Grease that was modified for high school, editing some of the R-rated lyrics.
Our high school did Mama Mia last year. Incredible job. There was some edgy lines in the musical. I asked the director about them and she said that they can change little in the play per the purchase agreement of the rights of the play.

Wouldn’t the school board have been approached about doing this particular musical before they started auditions and rehearsals?

Usually schools have to pay for the rights to put on a performance of plays. They’re not public domain. Someone had to approve this from the beginning
Approval policy would depend on the district. I would've thought most districts do have to approve, but when you go the national school board conference you're amazed at how differently BOE's across the country do things.

When I was a board member, IIR the annual musical was an agenda item for approval each year. The musical was almost always the "safe" and traditional ones we were familiar with. We had the agenda ahead of time, so I"m sure one of us would have asked about an unfamiliar production, especially a modern with more modern language.

Yep, same thing when our school did Grease. I was aware that the Broadway version was a lot racier than the film, but the director told us he specifically got the safer version. I'm sure the kids understood the innuendos, but it still passed muster.

I'd heard of the Spelling Bee thingy last year. Sounded interesting at first, than I learned it had some gratuitious crudity in there just because the writers thought it would be fun. Kinda like a Seth Rogan flick, I guess. If that had come up for approval, I'd definitely question it first.

Yeah, let's bury our heads in the sand and don't think HS kids discuss things like an erection. And those Grandparents everyone is worried about grew up in the '60 and '70s, they were the ones that 1st pushed the edge and gave us the societal norms we now live in. By the way it is a very popular HS show to do now with an equal number of male and female parts, low cost simple scenery, and readily available costumes. Because of this there is a licensed version available that edits out some of the more "edgier" subjects, I wonder if there was still push back or did the director make a mistake and go "Full Monty" with this version?

Yeah, let's bury our heads in the sand and don't think HS kids discuss things like an erection. And those Grandparents everyone is worried about grew up in the '60 and '70s, they were the ones that 1st pushed the edge and gave us the societal norms we now live in. By the way it is a very popular HS show to do now with an equal number of male and female parts, low cost simple scenery, and readily available costumes. Because of this there is a licensed version available that edits out some of the more "edgier" subjects, I wonder if there was still push back or did the director make a mistake and go "Full Monty" with this version?
Reports I heard today said that they were using the HS edited version.

And have sex, drink beer, and smoke weed, but we're not doing any of those in a school activity either.

Seems pretty simple.

And have sex, drink beer, and smoke weed, but we're not doing any of those in a school activity either.

Seems pretty simple.
Let me ask you this, have you actually seen this show in any form? If not go check out 1st before summarizing, it is that simple.

Let me ask you this, have you actually seen this show in any form? If not go check out 1st before summarizing, it is that simple.
I read parts of the script.

What will I learn by listening to someone say the words I can read for myself?

I’ve seen this musical before and I can tell you that as far as musicals go, they could’ve done a lot worse in terms of “crude and inappropriate.”

(Insert “Old Man Yells at Cloud” here)