STVM 2022-2023

Anyone wanting to take a peek at the Irish vs Archbishop Ryan - here you go. It was broadcast live by Bob Long Sports.

A really good job by the announcers. Great job with the coverage by Bob Long Sports. Ryan was missing their best player, but they were still very good, and it was a solid win by the Irish.

I agree Irish60. Keeping in mind that this was a Philadelphia based broadcast, I thought the announcers did an exemplary job of complimenting both teams players, schools and regions. I even enjoyed their relaying the details of our boys visits to the cheesesteak capitol of the universe....

Did i understand their point guard - who was very good - is just a freshman? Wow.

I agree Irish60. Keeping in mind that this was a Philadelphia based broadcast, I thought the announcers did an exemplary job of complimenting both teams players, schools and regions. I even enjoyed their relaying the details of our boys visits to the cheesesteak capitol of the universe....

Did i understand their point guard - who was very good - is just a freshman? Wow.

i didn’t catch it during the broadcast but here’s their roster.

Not sure about the personality of this team. They seem to lack consistency. Not sure if a true leader has emerged yet. Had they made their free throws down the stretch they would have won the game. Take the loss now and learn from it.

St V came back from being down five in the fourth quarter to get the win 53-50 over South Oak Cliff (TX). Hamilton was the main guy as LA Hayes did not play. He was injured during a shoot around and was in street clothes.

Not sure about the personality of this team. They seem to lack consistency. Not sure if a true leader has emerged yet. Had they made their free throws down the stretch they would have won the game. Take the loss now and learn from it.
I agree with this. They lack a certain amount of identity. Hamilton has been very good and their most consistent player, but Hays is their most talented. But he seems almost TOO deferential. At the end of the Ignatius game, Hamilton was seemingly trying to go 1-on-5; which rarely works out! Much of that was dictated by the Iggy defense, but sometimes Hays needs to be a bit more "selfish". It is a team game, but sometimes you need to take a page from Keyshawn Johnson's book and say, "Get me the damn ball"!

There is a nice article in the Beacon about Romeo Travis and his ongoing transition from player to coach. (I'd attach the link, but it would be useless!). The article mentions Travis as potentially being groomed to replace Coach Dru sometime down the road. If true, that would certainly add some continuity to the program upon transition.

The Irish start the season 0-2 against Summit County! I know Stow is a really good team, and I realize this was STVM's 3rd game in 6 days, but I must admit I was surprised when I saw this score. Congratulations to Stow...

I asked this in the SVSM/Centerville post but noone replied... Does Lebron fund this team to do all that they do? There are a lot of expenses with travel, accommodations, etc. Absolutely no judgment, I think it is awesome if he is.

I asked this in the SVSM/Centerville post but noone replied... Does Lebron fund this team to do all that they do? There are a lot of expenses with travel, accommodations, etc. Absolutely no judgment, I think it is awesome if he is.
Not that I know of, someone else could potentially answer this question though. I do know that much of the school's athletic gear is through his connections.

Not that I know of, someone else could potentially answer this question though. I do know that much of the school's athletic gear is through his connections.

The gear is Nike because of LeBron’s connection but neither he or Nike cover the cost. A coach for one of the girls’ teams told me the school pays for them.

I do not know about the travel expenses. I know both the girls and boys basketball teams had a fundraiser at the beginning of the season. I would hope LeBron covers the cost of their yearly trip to his tournament in Los Angeles.

The gear is Nike because of LeBron’s connection but neither he or Nike cover the cost. A coach for one of the girls’ teams told me the school pays for them.

I do not know about the travel expenses. I know both the girls and boys basketball teams had a fundraiser at the beginning of the season. I would hope LeBron covers the cost of their yearly trip to his tournament in Los Angeles.
Thanks for the info. The opportunity that the student-athletes get at SVSM is awesome! Whether it is Lebron or not, it's awesome.

There is a nice article in the Beacon about Romeo Travis and his ongoing transition from player to coach. (I'd attach the link, but it would be useless!). The article mentions Travis as potentially being groomed to replace Coach Dru sometime down the road. If true, that would certainly add some continuity to the program upon transition.
Even funnier when you know why he turned down the public school coaching position he interviewed for and then was offered last year.

A very interesting game coming this Friday as St. Edward's travels to STVM to play the Irish. It's not a "make it, or break it" type game for either team since both seem poised for long playoff runs this year. But it could be a strong statement game in the event these two meet again in the tournament. IMO it's likely a little more important game for the Irish than it is for the Eagles. I say that because St. Edward's has been the more consistent team, game in and game out, than the Irish this year. STVM has played some great games this year and have shown that they can play with anyone. But they've had a couple of head scratchers, too. The Eagles have been consistently excellent all year. IMO, however, the Irish are still one of the 2-3 teams in the State that can beat the Eagles even if the Eagles play their "A" game. STVM would have to play lights out to do it (!), but they are capable of it! Both teams are rested. So, there will be no excuses! I expect a heckuva game. Go Irish!

Last edited:
Which STVM team will show up tonight when Hoban visits LBJ Arena? Serious question. Of course I’d like the Irish to win and soundly, but with this year’s team one never knows.