Division V Semifinal: R17 South Range (14-0) vs R18 Liberty Center (14-0) at Clyde

Who will advance to the Division V State Championship game?

• South Range

Votes: 78 66.7%
  • Liberty Center

Votes: 39 33.3%

• Total voters
For what it’s worth Elmwood had 112 yards rushing according to the paper. I know Mason Oliver was not anywhere near 100% either (according to the BSF broadcast I listened to the game on). LC defense is susceptible when they face teams that aren’t overwhelmed by #62
Susceptible by #62 what about #75 #70 they are all very good. Also we had 98 yards after the sacks on the last 2 plays. Mason Oliver was 💯 he was just not able to get anything going. He had no where to run.

Since Casey Mohler has taken over the helm from Ohio High School Hall of Fame coach Rex Lingruen, Coach Mohler has put together an amazing 65 wins to 13 losses in 6 years 2 Final Four appearances which includes a 13-4 post season record in 5 post season missed out in 1st year (7-3 record)

Last edited:
At the risk of extending the conversation about two teams not playing in this game, I don’t think there’s any way Springfield is within 13 of Kirtland last year. For whatever that’s worth.

In any event, it’s interesting the angles we come up with to compare two teams with zero common opponents or familiarity.

Do you mean Carey? Carey who was running a 6'2" 260 RB? Carey who had and O-line that averaged 6'3" and 270#.

Since there seems to be as much buzz about the township boundaries as there is on the game, I will chime in on the geography.

Canfield Township is unincorporated and cannot annex any part of Green Township. And the City of Canfield is nowehere near there.

You can even verify on the Mahoning County Auditor site if you're so inclined. Beaver (or Green Township), Canfield mailing address, South Range school district.

Just like there are large parts of Beaver Twp along the southern end of W Reserve Road with a Poland mailing address because the 44514 zip code is just wacky in its geography (lots of Boardman has a Poland mailing address as well).

If anything it's South Range which has encroachment into its school district, as areas along New Buffalo just north of Paradise are in the Boardman School District and other areas are in Canfield Schools.

In fact the area just north of Paradise (thinking Haus, Paradise, Grandview) are in a trifecta of discontinuity. Canfield mailing address, Beaver Township, Boardman School District.

Good luck to both teams.
The area immediately adjacent to SR-46 was given to the city of Canfield for a water line easement all the way from where the city limits are shown on a map to South Range HS. I will post the documentation for the water line easement, the grantor listed in the documentation is South Range Board of Education and the grantee is Canfield.

Do you mean Carey? Carey who was running a 6'2" 260 RB? Carey who had and O-line that averaged 6'3" and 270#.
No, I meant Kirtland. I already knew Springfield stuck within 13 of Carey. And that was a fair result.

I can't wait to keep talking about Carey and Kirtland on the Liberty Center-SR thread. Awesome times.

No, I meant Kirtland. I already knew Springfield stuck within 13 of Carey. And that was a fair result.

I can't wait to keep talking about Carey and Kirtland on the Liberty Center-SR thread. Awesome times.

So why don't you bring up a valid point of discussion about LC vs SR instead of complaining about the posts on here? You are more than welcome to change or advance the conversation.

As to the game, here's my non-coach thumbnail of SR:

On offense, they have a legitimate dude at QB in Billy Skripac. He was the league offensive MVP and he completely earned it. He's big (6'3" 210), has a really good arm and is good runner. He's been the best player on the field in every one of SR's 14 games of far. He has some weapons outside -- #11 (Lindstrom) is smaller, but really fast. They try to get him in space and let him go. They'll swing passes to him and look for him on crossers a lot. #24 (Leon) is more of their deep threat. He's really good, too. They also have a couple other pretty good WRs and they love to seam go routes (Watch for #20). The RB positions has been by committee, but Ewart (#26) is healthy now, I think, and gets most of the carries. He and #34 are both pretty good in terms of vision and speed. #44 is the power back and #26 will also get carries. The OL is better, IMO, than it was last year. They've generally controlled the LoS except in one game. LC, of course, is a different animal.

Overall on offense, they're multidimensional. Against Perry they didn't need to pass. They hit a couple big passes, but mostly it was hand-offs. But they are very capable of passing. Skripac has 2300 yards, 29 TDs and 4 interceptions and hits 70% of his passes, and most of the throws are actually downfield -- not little 3 yard passes that turn into 60. Running, Skripac has 500 (and 15 more TDs), #26 has about 1000 and #34 and #44 are around 500.

On defense, the front 7 is their strength. By far and away. They're physical and very fast. In 7 league games they gave up 299 yards rushing. And I'd guess a fair amount of that is from QB scrambles -- they get a ton of pressure and will lose contain periodically. I can think of maybe two long drives they've give up with their first team offense. Jefferson scratched out like a 17 play 70 yard drive (and did nothing at all the rest of the game) and Garfield opened the game with a similar drive that only got them a FG. But, mostly if a team scores it's a shorter field or they hit a big pass or something. It's been very hard for teams to line up and go 75 yards running their offense.

So, when I say "strength on strength" -- I really am looking forward to the SR front 7 against the LC running game. I mean, that's going to be an awesome matchup. On the other side, I actually expect LC to make it hard sledding for SR running the ball and to force Skripac to pass more than they want to. So, it'll be interesting to me to see how the LC secondary holds up.

Finally, here's a link to South Range's Digital Scout site. You can see all their games, stats, play-by-play, etc. https://stats.digitalscout.com/ohio/school/south-range-raiders/football/varsity/boys
Well, as you can see from the above, I already tried. There are other posts of mine on the game, too,

So, you know, whatever.

I think Kirtland was better than Carey by a sizeable margin last year. And Kirtland is better than Carey year in and year out as well.
Football math, it's not always accurate but it's what we got. Since Versailles and Coldwater didn't play last year we have to use 16-0 Marion Local as the constant. Versailles lost by 2 and Coldwater by 3(M-L's two closest games of the year)
Versailles beat Kirtland by 4 and Coldwater lost to Carey by 12.
Okay, on to game talk. How is South Range's special teams? I asked last week about Elmwood's and was told it was fine but then they went 2/5 on extra points and looked like anything beyond a 20 yard field goal was out of range.

As an aside I have actually seen Liberty-Center play twice in person, once against Liberty-Benton at Donnell and once against Patrick Henry. So I am a little more familiar with L-C than most of the other posters that are really familiar with South Range.
L-C, L-B, and PH are all programs that have been strong with a lot of tradition, but based off of what I have seen from L-C and SR this year, I think SR has everyone in D-V covered, now if they had to face Kirtland or Marion Local, they would be in trouble.

Everything you say was correct until property along SR-46 was annexed into Canfield when the school was built. I will see if I can dig up some paperwork/documentation from the waterline easement for the school.
Simkon, my man, if you go "digging up paperwork and waterline assessments for the school," I think my heart's gonna bust from anticipation!!
(bustin balls, I love most of yer posts)

LC lost in the regional finals to last year's D6 champion, Carey. That experience counts then too.

The truth is that these are high school teams who turn their Varsity roster over every two years.

Who you played and lost to, 2,3 or 4 years means a hill of beans because most of these kids didn't play in those games.
The SR roster didn’t turn over a ton from last year, I think they have 22-25 seniors as well

For what it is worth.......I don't think Kirtland or ML would want to be in DV this year. Not saying they wouldn't pull out a State Championship but it would be tough. I have watched LC on WOSN several times this year and thought they would give ML a game.

For what it is worth.......I don't think Kirtland or ML would want to be in DV this year. Not saying they wouldn't pull out a State Championship but it would be tough. I have watched LC on WOSN several times this year and thought they would give ML a game.
Having seen them in person, I would agree completely

Some factoids:

*The South Range-Liberty Center matchup is the only of 14 semifinal games pitting a pair of 14-0 teams.

*South Range and Liberty Center also share similar numbers. In fact, both schools rank in the top five in Division V in both points scored (South Range 598, Liberty Center 549) and points given up (South Range 123, Liberty Center 126). The Raiders’ 42.7 points-per-game average is tops in Division V. Liberty Center's points allowed include last week's game, so massively impressive.

*I did not know LC's head coach took over for a legend and is now making his own mark. That's pretty cool. For SR, they still have their "legend" ins Dan Yeagley -- he was picked for the Ohio High School Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame this past summer. His career record is 246-74. This year was the 10th time that Yeagley led the Raiders to a 10-0 regular season in his 28-year stint. It was the 11th time he reached double-digit wins in a season.

So, not only are you looking at arguably the best semifinal matchup in the state this week (maybe Hoban-Massillon), you're also looking at two programs that have a long history of just being good. Pretty cool.

Another factoid @iam416 Using the last 6 years since Coach Mohler took over LC and SR are both 61-13

Drew Pasteur has South Range by 7 over Liberty Center. I think that is a good jumping off point and should be the line. SR has played a bigger schedule and ran through everyone convincingly.

The 2018 season was a rough one for SR. They were transitioning to a new league (after, heh, being kicked out of their previous league) and had to come up with 10 games and it ended up being brutal. That wasn't a great SR team, but they were better than 4-6. Anyway, it all worked out. The new league is much better and does a much better job of preparing SR for elite playoff teams.

I'd probably set the line around 3. So, pretty much right there.

I know each team has some very good skill players, but this will still be a LoS game. And I think that's going to be a war.

So, for LC fans -- I know they run a wing-T type offense, but how good is the passing game? (I know the running game is a sledgehammer).

The 2018 season was a rough one for SR. They were transitioning to a new league (after, heh, being kicked out of their previous league) and had to come up with 10 games and it ended up being brutal. That wasn't a great SR team, but they were better than 4-6. Anyway, it all worked out. The new league is much better and does a much better job of preparing SR for elite playoff teams.

I'd probably set the line around 3. So, pretty much right there.

I know each team has some very good skill players, but this will still be a LoS game. And I think that's going to be a war.

So, for LC fans -- I know they run a wing-T type offense, but how good is the passing game? (I know the running game is a sledgehammer).

They will also line up in the shotgun, sometimes in the I...multiple formations and shifts. They remind me of Michigan in that way -creating extra gaps with the way they line up. The QB throws very well compared to your typical Wing-T QB and is a dangerous runner. The other backs run hard and are happy to lower their shoulder and get 3-4 yards. It's very diverse for a Wing-T and they will make adjustments until they find something that works.

ive been a Liberty Center fan since 1999, and all of us need to come to the conclusion that the raiders are giving our tigers a good old 1999 butt whopping

Clyde is a great program and Bob Bishop did great things as HC. That being said, Clyde Bob Bishop Stadium is one of my least favorite places to watch a game.
Not sure why the negative attitude about Clyde’s stadium. It is far superior than most any D5 school in the state has great access and parking is not a problem like so many venues. Compared to many sites this is fantastic. How about losing the negative vibe and be thankful to be still playing. And no I don’t live anywhere near Clyde

As long as my son plays good, we should do just fine. Hopefully, he has a good night, and we can pull away with a win.
You should be proud of him even if he doesn't play good. Don't be like that dad on Friday Night Lights that bases his son's whole future on his performance in a big-time HS football game. And if it isn't actually your son, you should think of the negative impact it may have on his actual family that may end up reading this.

I think Kirtland was better than Carey by a sizeable margin last year. And Kirtland is better than Carey year in and year out as well.
from what gets posted on here Kirkland must walk on water as well as play football better than anyone else in the state. I think they better prepare for the gospel of Marion Local

from what gets posted on here Kirkland must walk on water as well as play football better than anyone else in the state. I think they better prepare for the gospel of Marion Local
Everybody in the state praises both programs all year long. If you're from the NE part of the state, you know more about Kirtland. If you're from the SE part of the state, you know more about MSML. But I don't think it's appropriate for either program to play the underdog role. They both know what the other is all about, and from the sounds of it, this year MSML has a once-in-a-quarter-century type of team. They probably are the favorites to win it all. No sour grapes, everybody on this thread likely respects both programs. If they don't, I don't think anybody should lose sleep.