Division V Semifinal: R17 South Range (14-0) vs R18 Liberty Center (14-0) at Clyde

Who will advance to the Division V State Championship game?

• South Range

Votes: 78 66.7%
  • Liberty Center

Votes: 39 33.3%

• Total voters
If Liberty Center plays like they did against Coldwater:

Liberty Center 28
South Range 14

If Liberty Center plays like they did vs Elmwood

South Range 21
Liberty Center 14
I was at that game, LC very good, and Elmwood very good......Elmwood was ahead in 3rd quarter and had momentum, then fumbled on two straight possessions, leading to 2 LC touchdowns.....

Clyde is an interesting choice as a venue. Both sides are very short stands that extend goal line to goal line. I would assume whoever designed this has a very poor understanding of how sight lines work
Clyde is a great program and Bob Bishop did great things as HC. That being said, Clyde Bob Bishop Stadium is one of my least favorite places to watch a game.

LC made some mistakes last night that they typically don't do. They gave Elmwood the ball inside the tiger 30 three times.
I presume that the weather had an effect on several games and this was one of them. The weather for this week looks a lot more normal.

South Range played Kirtland in the regional semifinals last year and the year before…no disrespect to Liberty Center (I have not seen them play) but South Range already knows what it is like playing against an old school smash mouth team…hopefully for South Range that prior experience helps them out
I think this years SR team has a better defense against the run then the last couple years

There’s zero doubt about that. SR is just better up front in all regards. The only loss from last year is Dominguez, and Ewart is doing a nice job along with little Dominguez, Starkey and Remish.

I think they’re solidly better than they were last year.

South Range played Kirtland in the regional semifinals last year and the year before…no disrespect to Liberty Center (I have not seen them play) but South Range already knows what it is like playing against an old school smash mouth team…hopefully for South Range that prior experience helps them out
This ^^
Really, can't ask for more. two undefeated teams. Strength vs strength. But I believe SR's recent experience is a benefit, I see them moving on. (But at this point we're all speculating as we're at the point where most haven't seen the opponent play. )
Go Raiders!!

I guess I can now say SR put a running clock on a D IV semifinalist. Heh. I can’t believe I can say it, but what a crazy world we live in!

I guess I can now say SR put a running clock on a D IV semifinalist. Heh. I can’t believe I can say it, but what a crazy world we live in!
Only because WB quit playing defense halfway through the season and just played progressively worse defense as the season went on. I don't think they expected Jefferson to be able to stop them. Credit to the Falcons for actually playing defense and stopping the Warriors on multiple occasions.

Kirtland was one of the best teams I've seen over the last few years and in playing them (and losing) three times in the regionals has probably put a large chip on our shoulders.
Never thought I'd say thanks to Kirtland but we learned to step up our game. Good luck to the Hornets and keep rollin Raiders.

Clyde is an interesting choice as a venue. Both sides are very short stands that extend goal line to goal line. I would assume whoever designed this has a very poor understanding of how sight lines work
15 rows high end zone to end zone you can see just fine. I would say you just gotta get there early if you want a 50 yard line seat

Only because WB quit playing defense halfway through the season and just played progressively worse defense as the season went on. I don't think they expected Jefferson to be able to stop them. Credit to the Falcons for actually playing defense and stopping the Warriors on multiple occasions.
Or it’s just impressive what SR is doing

I saw SR play twice this year, and I was surprised at how physical they were. There were doubters when they entered the NE8 because all of the schools were larger than them. It only took a couple of seasons for them to dominate the league. There is a lot of mention here on how physical LC is, but SR players are extremely disciplined and very physical. So far this season, they have been on a different level compared to the teams they've played. I'm sure LC is the same. It should be a great game; I picked SR to win only because I'm backing the local team and don't know much about LC.

South Range has a really good front 7, but I don't think they've played a team with as strong a running game as LC. That's strength on strength.

Other side, South Range is balanced -- they didn't have to be against Perry, but they are. I'm fairly sure they won't run the ball consistently. If they do then LC is in for a lot of trouble.

I honestly don't have a pick, yet.
I don’t think LC has given up 100 yds rushing all post season. Mason Oliver from Elmwood who avg 10.5 YPC only and had 77 yds on 21 attempts. Coldwater 52 yds on 24 attempts Liberty Benton has 19 yds on 10 attempt.
There’s zero doubt about that. SR is just better up front in all regards. The only loss from last year is Dominguez, and Ewart is doing a nice job along with little Dominguez, Starkey and Remish.

I think they’re solidly better than they were last year.
You’re saying they’re better upfront than LC ? Kinda bold statement what opinions are you going off.

Last edited:
Liberty Center did that to Coldwater 2 weeks ago.
This ^^
Really, can't ask for more. two undefeated teams. Strength vs strength. But I believe SR's recent experience is a benefit, I see them moving on. (But at this point we're all speculating as we're at the point where most haven't seen the opponent play. )
Go Raiders!!
Recent experience??? LC lost last year to Carey who won state in the regional finals. I pretty sure both teams are on a mission to show they are going to leave it all on the field and let the physicality and heart play out.

I don’t think LC has given up 100 yds rushing all post season. Case Boos from Elmwood who avg 10.5 YPC only and had 77 yds on 21 attempts. Coldwater 52 yds on 24 attempts Liberty Benton has 19 yds on 10 attempt.

You’re saying they’re better upfront than LC ? Kinda bold statement what opinions are you going off.
Boos is from Eastwood. Elmwood knocked them out.

I don’t think LC has given up 100 yds rushing all post season. Case Boos from Elmwood who avg 10.5 YPC only and had 77 yds on 21 attempts. Coldwater 52 yds on 24 attempts Liberty Benton has 19 yds on 10 attempt.

I’m saying SR is better up front than they were last year. I thought that was fairly obvious from the post and context. I have no idea who is actually better up front in this game. I know they’re both really, really good.

As I said at the beginning of this thread, anyone who follows small school Ohio football knows that any Western Ohio team that steamrolls everyone in their path is the real deal.

So….yeah..,

Last edited:
Looks to be a battle coming this week, any team that gets this far is sure to be exceptional. LC plays in the same League as Patrick Henry that SR played a few years ago for those of you that don't know much about them. I believe this is the 8th Final Four appearance for LC with three trips to the Championship game and one title back in 1997.

Having not rally heard of Canfield SR before the playoffs started I have a strange question: Are Canfield Sr and North Lima SR different schools? I have heard of NLSR before and was curious if the school change or altered their name like Marengo Highland that used to be called Sparta Highland located down by Marion.

South Range built a new high school. The old one was in North Lima. The new one is technically, I guess, in Canfield even if it’s not really.

But, yes, same school.

I was at the PH-SR game in 2005. Great game. PH got them in the 4th. Pretty good QB. Great WR. Hard-hitting team.

SR is considerably different from those days. They’ve upgraded leagues and competition. I think they’re a considerably better program these days.

Having not rally heard of Canfield SR before the playoffs started I have a strange question: Are Canfield Sr and North Lima SR different schools? I have heard of NLSR before and was curious if the school change or altered their name like Marengo Highland that used to be called Sparta Highland located down by Marion.
South Range built a new school fairly recently, the new school is just barely within Canfield, literally the next property adajcent to the school is no longer Canfield. The old school was in North Lima, the students are still from the same area as before even though the school moved.

In a previous thread someone asked for a recommendation on places to eat . So here you go.

Disclaimers: It's Clyde, a small blue-collar town. I'm originally from Clyde, but have relatives there and frequently visit.

In order geographically from the west. You can find them all online.

Hall's Wine-R-We. (Winery, get it?) 24 craft beers on tap and good food. A mile west of town, north side of Route 20.

El Habanero Mexican Restaurant. Where we most frequently go. West edge of town next to Drug Mart, between Wendy's and McDonald's. The sign on the building just says "Mexican Restaurant."

The Pizza House. Still my favorite taco pizza. Farther into town, just before Main St./S.R. 510. Next to Speedway gas station.

Blue Collar Bistro. A trained chef with an interesting menu. Limited seating, more for take out. N. Main St. (south of Rt. 20 though) next to the Clark Gas Station.

Fontana's Italian Eatery. Kind of hole-in-the-wall, legit Italian food. I really like it, limited seating. Downtown on West Buckeye St.

Last edited:
Don't know anything about S.R. other than that they are on the opposite corner of the state than Liberty and the fact that they have been state ranked all season. Sounds like we will have a defensive battle this week with possibly low scoring. The weather won't bother Liberty but my fear is mistakes. Last weed against Elmwood was our worst game of the season, turnovers, dumb penalty s, high snaps that threw the timing off on several plays leading to loss of yard tackles. Liberty didn't quit (never does) and somehow found a way to win. I've seen it before. I believe Elmwood is a completely different team than S.R. so if we play like we did last week, not going to go well. However, if we play like we have against Coldwater,... We have a great game coming up and I can't wait. When you get this far all teams are great so may the team that plays better, win.
Good luck to both teams.

Don't know anything about S.R. other than that they are on the opposite corner of the state than Liberty and the fact that they have been state ranked all season. Sounds like we will have a defensive battle this week with possibly low scoring. The weather won't bother Liberty but my fear is mistakes. Last weed against Elmwood was our worst game of the season, turnovers, dumb penalty s, high snaps that threw the timing off on several plays leading to loss of yard tackles. Liberty didn't quit (never does) and somehow found a way to win. I've seen it before. I believe Elmwood is a completely different team than S.R. so if we play like we did last week, not going to go well. However, if we play like we have against Coldwater,... We have a great game coming up and I can't wait. When you get this far all teams are great so may the team that plays better, win.
Good luck to both teams.
Question on the Coldwater game - I know their QB got hurt late in regular season. Was he back for this game?

I ask because SR's Skripac is special. Buddy & I call him a high school version of OSU BBalls Aaron Craft. Not because he's tough as nails but can't hit a jump shot (1st is true, have no idea about the 2nd), but because it seems likes been SR's QB for 10 years. Have found myself pulling for SR simply because I love watching him play.

Remember LC playing Orrville a few years ago. Had a fullback who was banged up and still ran for 120+ on one leg (and looked like he'd have had 200 on 2 legs). This is going to be exactly what SemiFinal games are supposed to be - PHYSICAL!

Yes, Goldwater QB started and played the whole game. He actually came back in the second half of their Huron game and led them to the win the week prior to playing Liberty.

Good luck to both teams.
Thanks for the info Bill. I anticipate a great game and memorable night for the kids.