Division V Semifinal: R17 South Range (14-0) vs R18 Liberty Center (14-0) at Clyde

Who will advance to the Division V State Championship game?

• South Range

Votes: 78 66.7%
  • Liberty Center

Votes: 39 33.3%

• Total voters
Question on the Coldwater game - I know their QB got hurt late in regular season. Was he back for this game?

I ask because SR's Skripac is special. Buddy & I call him a high school version of OSU BBalls Aaron Craft. Not because he's tough as nails but can't hit a jump shot (1st is true, have no idea about the 2nd), but because it seems likes been SR's QB for 10 years. Have found myself pulling for SR simply because I love watching him play.

Remember LC playing Orrville a few years ago. Had a fullback who was banged up and still ran for 120+ on one leg (and looked like he'd have had 200 on 2 legs). This is going to be exactly what SemiFinal games are supposed to be - PHYSICAL!
That Willard team was FAST. Just could not catch them. Our running back was Carpenter and he was a big guy and looked for someone to hit while running, and yes he had a torn tenden that he was dealing with.

Question on the Coldwater game - I know their QB got hurt late in regular season. Was he back for this game?

I ask because SR's Skripac is special. Buddy & I call him a high school version of OSU BBalls Aaron Craft. Not because he's tough as nails but can't hit a jump shot (1st is true, have no idea about the 2nd), but because it seems likes been SR's QB for 10 years. Have found myself pulling for SR simply because I love watching him play.

Remember LC playing Orrville a few years ago. Had a fullback who was banged up and still ran for 120+ on one leg (and looked like he'd have had 200 on 2 legs). This is going to be exactly what SemiFinal games are supposed to be - PHYSICAL!
He played but was far from 💯%

That Willard team was FAST. Just could not catch them. Our running back was Carpenter and he was a big guy and looked for someone to hit while running, and yes he had a torn tenden that he was dealing with.
Wasn’t Willard it was Orrville miguel parks best athlete I’ve ever seen on a football field. He was so hard to stop he cut on a dime like Barry sanders and had speed like Usain Bolt freak athlete.

South Range built a new school fairly recently, the new school is just barely within Canfield, literally the next property adajcent to the school is no longer Canfield. The old school was in North Lima, the students are still from the same area as before even though the school moved.
South Range is in Beaver Township, just south of Canfield Township which surrounds Canfield Village and Canfield High School. South Range High School has a Canfield mailing address because that area is serviced by the Canfield post office, thus it is referred to as Canfield South Range. It used to be in North Lima and was in the North Lima post office area with a North Lima address. At that time it was referred to as North Lima South Range. Hope that clears it up.

South Range is in Beaver Township, just south of Canfield Township which surrounds Canfield Village and Canfield High School. South Range High School has a Canfield mailing address because that area is serviced by the Canfield post office, thus it is referred to as Canfield South Range. It used to be in North Lima and was in the North Lima post office area with a North Lima address. At that time it was referred to as North Lima South Range. Hope that clears it up.
Heh. Technically Beaver Township is just south of Boardman Township and Green Township is just south of Canfield Township. South Range HS is technically in Beaver, but it's right on the Green/Beaver line -- just on the Beaver side. Heh. Lots of great South Range geography lessons. Almost feel like we should get into the consolidation, move through the ICL to ITCL to Independent to NE8. Throw some history in there, too.

Anyway, the postal code thing is right.

As to the game, here's my non-coach thumbnail of SR:

On offense, they have a legitimate dude at QB in Billy Skripac. He was the league offensive MVP and he completely earned it. He's big (6'3" 210), has a really good arm and is good runner. He's been the best player on the field in every one of SR's 14 games of far. He has some weapons outside -- #11 (Lindstrom) is smaller, but really fast. They try to get him in space and let him go. They'll swing passes to him and look for him on crossers a lot. #24 (Leon) is more of their deep threat. He's really good, too. They also have a couple other pretty good WRs and they love to seam go routes (Watch for #20). The RB positions has been by committee, but Ewart (#26) is healthy now, I think, and gets most of the carries. He and #34 are both pretty good in terms of vision and speed. #44 is the power back and #26 will also get carries. The OL is better, IMO, than it was last year. They've generally controlled the LoS except in one game. LC, of course, is a different animal.

Overall on offense, they're multidimensional. Against Perry they didn't need to pass. They hit a couple big passes, but mostly it was hand-offs. But they are very capable of passing. Skripac has 2300 yards, 29 TDs and 4 interceptions and hits 70% of his passes, and most of the throws are actually downfield -- not little 3 yard passes that turn into 60. Running, Skripac has 500 (and 15 more TDs), #26 has about 1000 and #34 and #44 are around 500.

On defense, the front 7 is their strength. By far and away. They're physical and very fast. In 7 league games they gave up 299 yards rushing. And I'd guess a fair amount of that is from QB scrambles -- they get a ton of pressure and will lose contain periodically. I can think of maybe two long drives they've give up with their first team offense. Jefferson scratched out like a 17 play 70 yard drive (and did nothing at all the rest of the game) and Garfield opened the game with a similar drive that only got them a FG. But, mostly if a team scores it's a shorter field or they hit a big pass or something. It's been very hard for teams to line up and go 75 yards running their offense.

So, when I say "strength on strength" -- I really am looking forward to the SR front 7 against the LC running game. I mean, that's going to be an awesome matchup. On the other side, I actually expect LC to make it hard sledding for SR running the ball and to force Skripac to pass more than they want to. So, it'll be interesting to me to see how the LC secondary holds up.

Finally, here's a link to South Range's Digital Scout site. You can see all their games, stats, play-by-play, etc. https://stats.digitalscout.com/ohio/school/south-range-raiders/football/varsity/boys

Hope you realize you are 100% wrong, the property on which the school lies was annexed by Canfield. The reason this was done was because the school needed to tie into Canfield facilities (ie Water). Also please note that if you look at a township map it will not show all these little areas that were annexed by Canfield for sake of clarity. However, I actually just saw a document last week (when reviewing documents for work) detailing an easement along SR-46 for a water line for the new school, and the easment is granted to Canfield. So to summarize along SR-46 is part of Canfield upto South Range HS, the property immediately South of the high school is not Canfield anymore. However I think the Canfield mailing address continues, which adds to the confusion you are referencing because had the property not been annexed by Canfield it would still be a Canfield mailing address.

South Range HS is technically in Beaver, but it's right on the Green/Beaver line -- just on the Beaver side.
Anyway, the postal code thing is right.
Everything you say was correct until property along SR-46 was annexed into Canfield when the school was built. I will see if I can dig up some paperwork/documentation from the waterline easement for the school.

Should be a good one. Looks like 2 very good, pretty evenly matched teams. I don't know a ton about Liberty Center but they've beat some really good teams.. I'll take South Range just for the familiarity.

Everything you say was correct until property along SR-46 was annexed into Canfield when the school was built. I will see if I can dig up some paperwork/documentation from the waterline easement for the school.
I've seen a T-shirt for sale that says "I'm an engineer, so let's assume I'm right", so let's say your correct. The school district was formed in 1970 when the North Lima and Greenford schools consolidated. The name of the school comes from South Range Rd (St Rt 165) which runs between the original districts. The borders of the district remain essentially as they were in 1970. In the early 70's the school district purchased the property where the building is now located in the hope of someday being able to centralize the campus in the district, making bussing and student travel more efficient. Of course many of the current parents or kids don't know or care about any of this. They just know about the South Range Raiders, more than 50 years of tradition, and supporting the kids, in victory and defeat...so roll the ball out Friday, let's play!

The four DV Final Four teams have a combined record of 55-1, all #1 seeds still alive. They all deserve to be here. In this game, I probably favor South Range due to their run defense and ability to maybe slow down that LC rushing attack. But I expect this to be a one score game throughout. I'll go with:

South Range 28
Liberty Center 21

I don’t think LC has given up 100 yds rushing all post season. Mason Oliver from Elmwood who avg 10.5 YPC only and had 77 yds on 21 attempts. Coldwater 52 yds on 24 attempts Liberty Benton has 19 yds on 10 attempt.

You’re saying they’re better upfront than LC ? Kinda bold statement what opinions are you going off.
For what it’s worth Elmwood had 112 yards rushing according to the paper. I know Mason Oliver was not anywhere near 100% either (according to the BSF broadcast I listened to the game on). LC defense is susceptible when they face teams that aren’t overwhelmed by #62

Liberty Center played their worst game of the season last week by far and still dropped 49 on their way to winning a regional title. Bad snaps and special teams miscues have been nonexistent since the first half of the regular season. No excuses and obviously a good team like Elmwood can bring out some of those type of mistakes so if LC can cut down on them and be efficient with the passing game, I think it will stay a close game.

Barring some sort of disastrous special teams or turnover luck, I honestly don't see any way this isn't a close game. You're talking two very good teams. It's going to be a four quarter battle.

I think South Range will win because of their previous experience playing Kirtland and now striving to be on the same level as them as that is what it formerly took to win state in D-V. I think the Raiders win by 2 scores, and never lead by more than 2 scores either.

I think South Range will win because of their previous experience playing Kirtland and now striving to be on the same level as them as that is what it formerly took to win state in D-V. I think the Raiders win by 2 scores, and never lead by more than 2 scores either.

LC lost in the regional finals to last year's D6 champion, Carey. That experience counts then too.

The truth is that these are high school teams who turn their Varsity roster over every two years.

Who you played and lost to, 2,3 or 4 years means a hill of beans because most of these kids didn't play in those games.

LC lost in the regional finals to last year's D6 champion, Carey. That experience counts then too.

The truth is that these are high school teams who turn their Varsity roster over every two years.

Who you played and lost to, 2,3 or 4 years means a hill of beans because most of these kids didn't play in those games.
I think Kirtland was better than Carey by a sizeable margin last year. And Kirtland is better than Carey year in and year out as well.

Last edited:
I think Kirtland was better than Carey by a sizeable margin last year. And Kirtland and is better than Carey year in and year out as well.
Doesn’t matter which team was better you speak on experience in this situation, LC has just as much if not more experience in this situation and has fell short as well. Either way it’s going to be a great game against 2 great teams but I don’t feel like one teams experience in this situation is going to automatically make them prevail over the other!

At the risk of extending the conversation about two teams not playing in this game, I don’t think there’s any way Springfield is within 13 of Kirtland last year. For whatever that’s worth.

In any event, it’s interesting the angles we come up with to compare two teams with zero common opponents or familiarity.

Since there seems to be as much buzz about the township boundaries as there is on the game, I will chime in on the geography.

Canfield Township is unincorporated and cannot annex any part of Green Township. And the City of Canfield is nowehere near there.

You can even verify on the Mahoning County Auditor site if you're so inclined. Beaver (or Green Township), Canfield mailing address, South Range school district.

Just like there are large parts of Beaver Twp along the southern end of W Reserve Road with a Poland mailing address because the 44514 zip code is just wacky in its geography (lots of Boardman has a Poland mailing address as well).

If anything it's South Range which has encroachment into its school district, as areas along New Buffalo just north of Paradise are in the Boardman School District and other areas are in Canfield Schools.

In fact the area just north of Paradise (thinking Haus, Paradise, Grandview) are in a trifecta of discontinuity. Canfield mailing address, Beaver Township, Boardman School District.

Good luck to both teams.