#8 Struthers @ #1 West Branch

I love you NBC, but masks do more harm than good (please don't kill the messenger). Breathe in what God intended, and I hope you feel better soon. Go Warriors!
It is quite the confusing topic isn't it, almost as controversial as vaccines!! I have some other condition and my doctor advised that I should wear a mask at certain times in public when my immune system is compromised. This was well before covid. So there are times that I wear one and that started 10 years ago but I don't wear one because of covid. People look at you like you have 3 heads when you wear one - even before Covid. I do listen to the medical professional on this one because he did probably save me or at least helped me live a healthy life.

anyways, good luck to both teams.

Your Struthers vs. West Branch series record is incorrect. Don't know where you got that information. The two schools have only played three times in history. They played in 1979, 1980 and 2019. They were also scheduled to play in 2020 but that game was canceled by Covid. Struthers leads the series, 3-0.
It’s not incorrect, I simply added, when Struthers played Damascus high school, which was the original school in Beloit. Struthers play Damascus several times, including twice in 1916. or at least that’s what the book I have tells me from the vindicator.

Does that total count games against Damascus?

Good luck to both teams. Again, I hope the winner of this game wins the region.

GO CATS!
Yes it does. As you know, there are several schools that later changed names throughout the years, I’m actually not sure if that was just a name change or they brought in more kids or what the deal was. But the point stands, Struthers has never lost to West branch.

That's why I asked if his totals included games against the old Damascus high school. I also have the Cats at 3-0 vs WB but Struthers played Damascus 4 times in the Cats' first two years of football, winning two & tying two, although I think one of the two wins vs Damascus was a forfeit victory.
Also, yes, you are correct. The forfeit came the first season of Struthers football the second meeting. The first meeting Struthers, 33 won to nothing and it was the first game in Struthers football history.

Who sounds upset other than you?
Well, nobody sounds like anything considering this is an online message board and I cannot hear you. But you made a snide comment about basically a pointless comment about the series history, that I post in every single game thread.
You’re actually the first person all year to do that

Well, nobody sounds like anything considering this is an online message board and I cannot hear you. But you made a snide comment about basically a pointless comment about the series history, that I post in every single game thread.
You’re actually the first person all year to do that
Simply pointed out that the lopsided record is misleading. I’m done with it now,

Last edited:
It’s not incorrect, I simply added, when Struthers played Damascus high school, which was the original school in Beloit. Struthers play Damascus several times, including twice in 1916. or at least that’s what the book I have tells me from the vindicator.
I do remember when we started playing Struthers. We were in the final years of the MVC and not playing very well and Struthers was just starting in the conference. I was already graduated but my brother played and i think it was Struthers that had a deaf player and he was really good. I think that was like 1979 or 80 and they handled us pretty well for a couple of years. I personally was really disappointed when we left the MVC and played a meaningless independent scheduled until the NBC was formed. Even then it was not that same as playing Girard, Poland, Canfield, JFK, Struthers, etc. I like to see those schools on our schedule now, great job adding Canfield to the schedule. WB was very competitive in that conference during the Dick Hartzell years, most of the 70s.

True, it was a tough transition away from the Mahoning county area especially for the older folks. The meaningless independent schedule was weak but I do feel it brought back interest to a program that was waning by producing winning seasons. .The Stark county based NBC was good for WB instantly, developing a rival with a great football school in Louisville plus Minerva , Springfield and eventually Northwest had numerous outstanding teams. WB also had an incredible run of athletes then. But everything has it’s time and currently WB matches up well with a lot of Youngstown area schools and they should be a big part of their non-league schedule.

I do remember when we started playing Struthers. We were in the final years of the MVC and not playing very well and Struthers was just starting in the conference. I was already graduated but my brother played and i think it was Struthers that had a deaf player and he was really good. I think that was like 1979 or 80 and they handled us pretty well for a couple of years. I personally was really disappointed when we left the MVC and played a meaningless independent scheduled until the NBC was formed. Even then it was not that same as playing Girard, Poland, Canfield, JFK, Struthers, etc. I like to see those schools on our schedule now, great job adding Canfield to the schedule. WB was very competitive in that conference during the Hartzell years, most of the 70s.

Yeah. 1980. I believe he was a defensive tackle. My dad was the starting center on that 1980 team. My Uncle was a starting corner.
Struthers won they’re first of 3 consecutive MVC championships in 1980.

True, it was a tough transition away from the Mahoning county area especially for the older folks. The meaningless independent schedule was weak but I do feel it brought back interest to a program that was waning by producing winning seasons. .The Stark county based NBC was good for WB instantly, developing a rival with a great football school in Louisville plus Minerva , Springfield and eventually Northwest had numerous outstanding teams. WB also had an incredible run of athletes then. But everything has it’s time and currently WB matches up well with a lot of Youngstown area schools and they should be a big part of their non-league schedule.
I think when we first left the MVC we had a rough schedule for a couple of years. But about 2 to 3 years in the schedule got weaker and our teams got better. The first playoff team did not really play that good of a schedule but they were really good. If I remember correctly we lost to North Canton Hoover at Hoover and i still don't know how that happened back then. I think Laut rebuilt the program partly by softening up the schedule for a couple of years, But once the NBC started we were pretty good.

I think when we first left the MVC we had a rough schedule for a couple of years. But about 2 to 3 years in the schedule got weaker and our teams got better. The first playoff team did not really play that good of a schedule but they were really good. If I remember correctly we lost to North Canton Hoover at Hoover and i still don't know how that happened back then. I think Laut rebuilt the program partly by softening up the schedule for a couple of years, But once the NBC started we were pretty good.
And this is exactly what Minerva should do today. Same for Lakeview

Yeah. 1980. I believe he was a defensive tackle. My dad was the starting center on that 1980 team. My Uncle was a starting corner.
Struthers won they’re first of 3 consecutive MVC championships in 1980.
I don't remember much but I do know they were really good. I just remember them joining and they were really good in basketball too. I think they had the Robbins brothers that had some battles with the Timko brothers in JFK. I think our big problem then was our head coach, Dick Hartzell, invented the Jump Stretch and quit coaching. Once he left the program suffered until around Laut's 4th year.

And this is exactly what Minerva should do today. Same for Lakeview
I honestly believe that the last 2 years it would not have mattered who we played, we probably would not have won, we would have struggled against teams like Sebring and STA.. If we could leave football for a couple of years and try and right the ship but stay in the EBC for all other sports that would be helpful. Because the league is good for us in most other sports. Still hoping Speakman can keep pushing and get us competitive.

Last edited:
As we wind down today, one team will advance and the other put things away for next year. It's the sad reality of it.

Both teams will be psyched.

I'm hoping for a well-played and officiated game. And definitely no injuries to either team.

Shock the world cats!

WB went 9-1 in both ‘84 and ‘85 . .The schedule wasn’t the most grueling but I do remember losing to Lake 7-6 in ‘84 and the infamous Salem loss in ‘’85 . And yes I think the ‘86 team was darn good regardless if the schedule and unfortunately Hoover dropped down to d2 that season.and we had our chances in that 1st half to put them in a hole but I think nerves got the better of us.

WB went 9-1 in both ‘84 and ‘85 . .The schedule wasn’t the most grueling but I do remember losing to Lake 7-6 in ‘84 and the infamous Salem loss in ‘’85 . And yes I think the ‘86 team was darn good regardless if the schedule and unfortunately Hoover dropped down to d2 that season.and we had our chances in that 1st half to put them in a hole but I think nerves got the better of us.
West Branch was loaded most of the 90s- really loaded-

Certainly cannot play zone against an offense like this. Branch about to score. Even tho the cats just striped Branch and got the ball. Refs didn’t see