No Band No Football

1664747650481.gif

Band… what the real athletes do during soccer season!!!

Not even close to the amount for football. Do you think football games wouldn’t make money if the band wasn’t there? That’s laughable
The point is moot...the investment in a band program outperforms the investment in a football program based on educational studies. We're not talking about which one brings in money for the school.

Last edited:
I do think it’s a competition advantage when teams do not have a band for enrollment purposes. Ex: TCC, Mooney and CLE Benny as a few that come to mind.

Here's a deal we'll make for the band- when the band parents are willing to take an interest in the football team (by doing things like stay after half) then the football folks will take an interest in the band.

Also, some schools just aren't band schools, just like some schools aren't good at baseball or science fair or.... If a school community opts to direct its attention in directions other than the band other activities should not suffer for it.

Here's a deal we'll make for the band- when the band parents are willing to take an interest in the football team (by doing things like stay after half) then the football folks will take an interest in the band.

Also, some schools just aren't band schools, just like some schools aren't good at baseball or science fair or.... If a school community opts to direct its attention in directions other than the band other activities should not suffer for it.
Ahhh...but for the sake of argument, why would a school/community choose an activity that doesn't help their students as much as band (or anything else that would help kids post high school)?

Ahhh...but for the sake of argument, why would a school/community choose an activity that doesn't help their students as much as band (or anything else that would help kids post high school)?
Does band directly correlate to academics? Or do people in the band generally perform better at academics? Do you get smarter from walking in circles for 10 minutes a week? Or is it just the type of kid playing each activity/sport. If anything football is more inclusive I’d say. Kids from all walks of life can play.

Because the participating public, those who are paying the unconstitutional property taxes to support the school, get some role in the setting of priorities.

Don't get me wrong. I think band is a very worthwhile activity. I just think that holding one activity hostage for another activity the community is not interested in is silly.

It’s not an either/or proposition. Creating a band program out of thin air requires resources (get an instructor — easier said than done; acquire instruments — but which ones???; obtain other necessary materials) and sustaining it requires interest from the student body.

Unpopular Take: If your school cannot field a band with at least 25 kids playing instruments, you should not be able to field a football team. Instruments that cannot be used when marching do not count.
Why can't they do what they want?

E-Town trying to overthrow Omar for biggest Dbag on Yappi? Nobody gives 3 shitts about the Band or how many people are in the band! You a Band Director who been dismissed?

Random thought: the marching band contests on Saturday are huge moneymakers. And it's interesting to see the schools with no football program. Ex. Kalida, Ottoville, etc.

Last edited:
Instruments that cannot be used when marching do not count.
It seems to me you are all over the place. Above it has to be an instrument you can march with. So if you participate in music using an instrument that you can’t march with such as a piano, or a cello is there something wrong with these musicians? What about the bands that don’t march with instruments that you can march with?
You could definitely argue that a band improves the academic performance of your school...can't say the same for football.
Then you say the band improves academic performance. So what is your thought on those that do not play an instrument their art form is dance. So are you counting them in your academic study as part of the band?

Last edited:
Unpopular Take: If your school cannot field a band with at least 25 kids playing instruments, you should not be able to field a football team. Instruments that cannot be used when marching do not count.
So, would you tell those football teams the season is over because the band has less than 25 members? All those economically struggling innercity and rural teams that either have no band or way less than 25? As was said upthread there have been some great teams that had small bands. All Mooney teams in recent championship years wouldnt meet your criteria. This year Chaney (3rd region 9) has no band. Lots of D6 and 7 schools dont have the numbers to suport a 25 member band. If they have football, soccer,cross country, golf, volleyball and cheerleading whos left to actually play in the band?

Clearly some of you are confused. A HIGH SCHOOL football game exists for the HIGH SCHOOL kids first, not the community, not the Booster Club, not old men who can't put away the yearbook, not to make $$ - it exists for the kids to participate in for an extracurricular activity. This includes players, cheerleaders and the band members.

Clearly some of you are confused. A HIGH SCHOOL football game exists for the HIGH SCHOOL kids first, not the community, not the Booster Club, not old men who can't put away the yearbook, not to make $$ - it exists for the kids to participate in for an extracurricular activity. This includes players, cheerleaders and the band members.
Absolutely. You have kids doing all sorts of extra things in many of these schools at these games. Last week I saw choir, band, football, dance, acrobatics, all at the same game. That is a community invested in its young people.
Any take by anyone on either side of what ever the moaning is about on this other than supporting these young people doesn’t get it!

Doesn't it start with the parent's dream for the kid? I thought I read that Massilon peeps put footballs in the baby cribs at the hospital. Since learning music vastly improves brain function, wouldn't it be better for the kid's future to put an instrument in there instead?

images

Doesn't it start with the parent's dream for the kid? I thought I read that Massilon peeps put footballs in the baby cribs at the hospital. Since learning music vastly improves brain function, wouldn't it be better for the kid's future to put an instrument in there instead?
Well, since most kids will become construction workers, or welders or hair stylists....we could put a hammer, welders hood or scissors in their cribs.

Which begs the question, if a school doesn't offer a class for construction, welding or cosmetology....why should they be allowed to offer band or football.

I mean....how many construction workers, welders, or hair stylists do you know compared to pro football players or professional musicians?

Last edited: