No Band No Football

In NE Ohio, it should be "no Academic Challenge, no football".:)

From Wikipedia:
WEWS in Cleveland has had a version of the series since 1964. It was originally titled It's Academic and hosted by Don Cameron. In 1972, the series changed its name to Academic Challenge with host Don Webster, later replaced by Lou Maglio; the series later reverted to its former title during the mid-1990s, at which time Webster also returned as emcee. After a 35 consecutive year run and a brief hiatus, Academic Challenge returned to the WEWS airwaves in 2003 with host Adam Shapiro. Danita Harris hosted the 2006 season; from 2007 to 2016, Jason Nicholas was the host, succeeded by Hakem Dermish in December 2016 after Nicholas left WEWS.[15] Dermish was succeeded by WCPN host Rick Jackson on April 28, 2018 after Dermish left WEWS for CBS Sports in New York, while Jackson was subsequently replaced by Rob Powers for the 2019 season.[16]
I’ve seen Copley beat Hoban.*

* a sentence only made possible thanks to buzzer systems

I always found it interesting how many parochial schools do not have a marching band. Even those large ones like Hoban.
Hoban did have a Steel Drum band that would perform at games but not sure if it still exists? Incoming freshman were required to take steel Drum as a course as well. The only reason I know that they do not field a band is that a large number (like 90%) of students play at least 1 sport and most 3-4. Academics are also more demanding than most public schools and take additional free time away.

Hoban did have a Steel Drum band that would perform at games but not sure if it still exists? Incoming freshman were required to take steel Drum as a course as well. The only reason I know that they do not field a band is that a large number (like 90%) of students play at least 1 sport and most 3-4. Academics are also more demanding than most public schools and take additional free time away.
Why was the Steel Drum (of all classes) class mandatory?

I think they had a choice between steel drum and something that was less pleasant. Can't remember what that was so I guess it wasn't required after all.
Was the steel drum thing some type of partnership with the U. of Akron? IIRC, UA has a steel drum ensemble of some type. Saw 1 of their concerts on the local PBS channel a few years ago. There were people having a good old time dancing in the aisles.

A few years ago, I thought my school whose marching band is small and heavily buoyed by junior high members (many HS members quit when they got older b/c they'd prefer not to hang out w/ JH kids) should drop marching band and do a drumline instead. I think older kids would've been into it.