Week 1: Elder at Covington Catholic(KY)

I think they have an inexperienced team. They are trying to work on things to get better for rest of season. They have some easy wins on their schedule where their backups will get plenty of playing time.
No, they want to make it look closer than it really was. E should’ve run up the score.

If it wouldn’t hurt Elder’s seeding, I’d be perfectly ok with CC going winless after this stunt.

Wow Week 1!! Elder Won easily and dbag omar already had a meltdown on a fellow catholic opponent!!
Not very “Catholic” to keep your starters in vs the backups to make the score look less lopsided. It was a bogus thing to do.

Last edited:
Elder had a lot of different players fill in on defense behind the starters. DL Colton Ginn, DL Henry Heitz, CB Jake Priestle, DB Luke Fortkamp, DB/LB Luke Paff, LB Casey Sullivan went in when Hoernschemeyer went out in the 2nd quarter.

The offense mainly stuck with the same11-12 players all half. QB Jack Reuter had several carries out of the wildcat.
They kept in very vanilla bc they didn’t have to do much. I expect they’ll use Reuter more than just as a wildcat moving forward. The OL was solid, but I think the overall lack of size outside of the Leftside of the OL will hurt them. Rolfes did an excellent job as a blocking TE, putting him on the LOS helps a lot. Autenrieb looked very versatile for a FB. He can do much more than just block. Re obviously stood out at WR. However, they really need to get Mirus back as their 2nd target.

The front 7 and Gutenkust are legit, but I think they really need Flowers back there to help vs teams with actual speed at WR. Meier looked like he could handle being the main RB.

STs we’re solid. I don’t believe Elder actually had to punt, but LeMasters was great on Kickoffs & PATs. I want to say over half the kickoffs we’re touchbacks but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Elder's O-line looked really, really good. They aren't just good size, they move very well and are very aggressive.

A few other things I noticed, Cov Cath's play calling was atrocious. Their QB threw a really nice ball, but their coach kept trying to run with zero success and lots of screens which weren't successful at any point. Especially with big WR#10, I would have been throwing it up to him all night.

Cov Cath had entirely too many boys going both ways..... 7-8 looked like to me. That doesn't work, especially when your line goes both ways.

Cov Cath's horrendous punting gifted Elder easy points. They have to fix that.

Officiating was poor. They let the boys play, which I typically like but there were so many egregious no-calls on both sides it was extremely frustrating to watch. .... Bad holds, interference, and horse collar tackles. And both teams guilty.

I never understood why Elder defense covers trips the way they do. The #2 WR is always covered by a safety giving a 12 yard cushion, and nobody takes advantage of that. They've been lining up like that forever and it doesn't make any sense how opposing teams don't abuse that gaping flaw.

Elder was pulling their O-Linemen all night which I dont remember them doing very often in past. They looked good doing it.

Elder RB runs HARD!!

I agree the offensive line had a very good day. They gave Schoster a lot of time to throw. A couple times no one was open, and Schoster was able to move a little and find a WR scrambling after the route for a completion. I saw a lot of pancakes last night and quite a few from pulling guards.

Elder's 2nd team offensive line had some big boys there. Hopefully the coaches can develop these kids, because with their size they could be very good lineman. Elder strength coach needs to take these big 2nd team lineman under his wing and get bigger, quicker, stronger.

Good win for the Panthers last night. Expected a little more resistance from Cov Cath, but otherwise I figured Elder would jump out to a nice lead, and never really be threatened.

Any reason the Panthers were in their home purple uniform last night instead of the away whites?

Good win for the Panthers last night. Expected a little more resistance from Cov Cath, but otherwise I figured Elder would jump out to a nice lead, and never really be threatened.

Any reason the Panthers were in their home purple uniform last night instead of the away whites?
I heard that the away whites are not available yet. Slow shipping I guess.

And that was actually very gracious of Cov Cath to agree to wear white. Honestly, I probably would have told Elder to wear old white jerseys, practice jerseys, or freshman jerseys. Cov Cath made a huge deal about the game being a "blue out" amd they were expected to wear all blue.

On a side note, it was very interesting to see so many men with elder shirts and cov cath hats or cov cath hats with elder shirts. They said they went to one school and son went to the other. It was really cool to see.

And that was actually very gracious of Cov Cath to agree to wear white. Honestly, I probably would have told Elder to wear old white jerseys, practice jerseys, or freshman jerseys. Cov Cath made a huge deal about the game being a "blue out" amd they were expected to wear all blue.

On a side note, it was very interesting to see so many men with elder shirts and cov cath hats or cov cath hats with elder shirts. They said they went to one school and son went to the other. It was really cool to see.
I think it sucks. I would move if I couldn’t send my kids to Elder from NKY. To me, that’s the one thing that wouldn’t be negotiable.

Last edited:
Watching the replay, Gutenkust is such a baller. He covers so much a ground laterally, sheds blocks, hits hard but is fundamentally sound, and he’s solid in coverage.

I wouldn't bet on it. Low budget (and I don't mean that as a pejorative, I think Star 64 does a great job considering it's a local outlet) broadcasts usually won't/can't pay someone to handle that. At least I assume it's a financial thing.
I'm glad I was wrong about the TV time outs last night.