Is the US irreparably split

zeeman

Do any of you ever see a day when the US will ever be united again or is our great experiment finally at an end after just 250 years.
I can never see myself ever agreeing on anything with the leftist, what about it

I think we will be fine. It ebbs and flows as time goes on. We are in the worst of it right now. Social media is the main culprit for both sides and it is still in it's infancy. We will tame it (hopefully without government interference) and things will get better. It was just a perfect storm of a large generation coming of age, morals being cast aside, and the mindset to question everything with the belief that our ancestors were inherently bad.

I think we will be fine. It ebbs and flows as time goes on. We are in the worst of it right now. Social media is the main culprit for both sides and it is still in it's infancy. We will tame it (hopefully without government interference) and things will get better. It was just a perfect storm of a large generation coming of age, morals being cast aside, and the mindset to question everything with the belief that our ancestors were inherently bad.
Sounds pretty irreparable to me Yappi. I know we are in a transition phase and change is inevitable, but the direction we are headed is not going to end in kumbaya. I for one will never agree to some of the “progress” we are headed to

We will be fine but Zeeman won’t and some of the conspiracy nuts birthers truthers hoaxers and election deniers that find a home here will not either. We just have to live with that segment like we always have, except now they have iPhones.

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
No. It's TRUMP. Period. The man lives to divide. Own it.

Sounds pretty irreparable to me Yappi. I know we are in a transition phase and change is inevitable, but the direction we are headed is not going to end in kumbaya. I for one will never agree to some of the “progress” we are headed to
Are the younger generations as politically focused as the older generations? The old guard is in charge of the government. Hopefully as they are replaced a less party first politician will replace them.
10 Oldest Senators In the US History 2022

We will be fine but Zeeman won’t and some of the conspiracy nuts birthers truthers hoaxers and election deniers that find a home here will not either. We just have to live with that segment like we always have, except now they have iPhones.
Don’t worry grandpa, I’ll be just dandy ? I will never agree with anything a hateful person like you ever says and for that I’m happy

Are the younger generations as politically focused as the older generations? The old guard is in charge of the government. Hopefully as they are replaced a less party first politician will replace them.
10 Oldest Senators In the US History 2022

Younger generations are not party loyal. They are loyal to idea’s more than anything else.

There’s an argument out there to be had about placing age limits on elected officials. Why are we allowing those with less time left to make decisions for those with more?

Younger generations are not party loyal. They are loyal to idea’s more than anything else.

There’s an argument out there to be had about placing age limits on elected officials. Why are we allowing those with less time left to make decisions for those with more?
They should set an age limit of 70

Without some sort of significant external event I’d say no.
I agree in principle with you this. A attack in 2001 did a pretty good job of uniting America.

That event will come. People get upset about trivial things when they have it too easy. Give us something to really worry about and work to solve and we will unite.

Examples of things that may unite-
1- an attack on our sovereignty
2- a natural disaster that threatens human life such as a large meteor headed for earth.
3-climate change that results in food shortages
4- Biden winning a second term

All those things would unite us to fight for our survival.

I agree in principle with you this. A attack in 2001 did a pretty good job of uniting America.

That event will come. People get upset about trivial things when they have it too easy. Give us something to really worry about and work to solve and we will unite.

2- a natural disaster that threatens human life such as a large meteor headed for earth.

You have way too much faith in human beings ? I might agree with 1 but your other three not so much

No. It's TRUMP. Period. The man lives to divide. Own it.
Trump was only able to become the President because society moved so far to the left and embraced ideas that were taboo just 20-30 years earlier. Trump would have never made it on stage in the 80s and 90s. Thank the entertainment industry. We've become an immoral society where crass individuals have a greater chance at becoming successful.

I would say that younger generations are not loyal. Not to sound old but there was a time when loyalty was valued. I don't see that anymore. Jobs, sports, communities, philosophies, ideologies, or traditions. The younger generations seem to enjoy trying to start a tradition while breaking century old traditions in the name of progress.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but that unity only lasted a couple of months and wore off fast. GW Bush was in a dog fight with a walking corpse in John Kerry only three years later.

I would say that younger generations are not loyal. Not to sound old but there was a time when loyalty was valued. I don't see that anymore. Jobs, sports, communities, philosophies, ideologies, or traditions. The younger generations seem to enjoy trying to start a tradition while breaking century old traditions in the name of progress.

Because the old ways were working so well for us?

Not to be a Debbie Downer but that unity only lasted a couple of months and wore off fast. GW Bush was in a dog fight with a walking corpse in John Kerry only three years later.

Flags everywhere as far as the eye could see. It actually seemed disengenous to me even at that age. All these people who couldn’t be bothered a month ago are suddenly red white and blue. Seemed so terribly fake.

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
I'm more pessimistic then you are Yappi primarily for the reason you cited - social media.

American unity since the 1960's had been increasingly driven by a unified MSM & entertainment complex pushing a moderately leftist agenda. They moved slowly being careful not to push to hard. But at it's core this unity was largely artificial.

Then two things happened to change this:

* Alternative media, particularly social media allowed people to see information that the MSM was keeping from them. It also allowed them to hear opinions on the day's news that offered different insights into what & why things were happening. It's not surprising that ALL of the leftists on Yappi attack the right's media sources as illegitimate. They must kill the messenger to restore their news & entertainment dominance. Without it their whacked out ideas and programs could never gain majority support.

* The left swallowed a boatload of hubris and pushed to hard and to fast. Suddenly the frog noticed that the water was heating up and it hurt.

We will never be more divided than right now.
And we'll never be more divided then we are a year from now or five years from now. Unless one side wins a decisive victory over the other America's divide will only increase. And the reason why? Because the divide has little to do with Trump or Biden but everything to do with fundamental ideological differences between hundreds of millions of Americans on topics ranging from abortion to taxes to guns to the border to a woke agenda.

Flags everywhere as far as the eye could see. It actually seemed disengenous to me even at that age. All these people who couldn’t be bothered a month ago are suddenly red white and blue. Seemed so terribly fake.
It didn't last long did it?

We fought an actual civil war in our history as a nation. We are a long way from that.

As Yappi pointed out earlier, there are ebbs and flows. Course corrections. Coming out of the 60s tumult, where the youth rebelled against the status quo and challenged the prevailing morality, we bottomed out in the Carter regime. We went too far left too fast. The national identity was suffering and we elected a conservative…Reagan…who lost earlier GOP primaries as he was thought to be too far right. But his time came. DeSantis time is coming. A needed course correction will occur.

We fought an actual civil war in our history as a nation. We are a long way from that.

As Yappi pointed out earlier, there are ebbs and flows. Course corrections. Coming out of the 60s tumult, where the youth rebelled against the status quo and challenged the prevailing morality, we bottomed out in the Carter regime. We went too far left too fast. The national identity was suffering and we elected a conservative…Reagan…who lost earlier GOP primaries as he was thought to be too far right. But his time came. DeSantis time is coming. A needed course correction will occur.

Any course correction to the right will be fiscal and regulatory. The electorate is becoming less and less socially conservative as the boomers fade out.

Thank you. Some of the things people are saying online (or even in person) seem disconnected from reality to me. But it's not like the South reinstated slavery. Now the country does indeed have economic problems which are going to have to be rectified, but as far as irreparably split? No way.