Battle of Pickerington - OCC

They do play this year so we will find out. UA has a coaching advantage but that’s about it. Btw, I think UA has a coaching advantage against 99% of the teams they will play.
I agree .Buttermore is that good . PN should have too much for them this year personnel wise . Big back , multiple defensive studs and QB Receiver strength .

I feel at the high school level you need a mobile QB based on the way DBs at this level play so far off the ball. The exception would be a legitimate pocket passer (Drew Allar) who can sling it 25-30 times a game with a high completion average. PC QB ability to run/pass will cause problems for PN and others. PN QB will have to prove he’s a pro style pocket passer this season where many of his yards last season came from screen passes and quick hitters.

In regards to UA program how do you replace a running back that good from last season ?

Every year in July, we hear/read the same thing which is "PC lost a lot last year". Its true that PC loses a lot every year because when you have so many great players, they all graduate eventually. The PC QB is faster than most think, clocked at 4.7 - 4.8 (Laser). He's added ~30Lbs since last season so we should see big improvement over last year. The offense is what it is but I will say that it does not make a lot of sense to be slinging it around with a 1st year starting QB when you have a defense that only allows about 7 pts/game and an O-Line full of 300LB road graders. However, I would like to see them get the play in faster to allow for a pre-snap read. Simply switching a running play from one side to the other is the difference between a 5 yard loss and a 20 yard gain. Having a more balanced attack would also free up the running game. This will be a different team than last year so we will see how the offense evolves. If PC would put their 4-5 best athletes on the field at WR at the same time, find the best matchup and get them the ball quickly, they could score a ton of points.
As far as what the team has coming back, there is a ton of Talent/Speed/Athleticism amongst the ~40 seniors. I think the Defense could be faster this year than last year. The offense will come down to how well the O-Line comes together and the kicking game will be much improved over last year.
Lastly, Coach Sharrett knows what he is doing and will run whatever offense gives them the best chance to win. Over the past 20 years, PC has won 83% of their games and their worst season was 6-4. I am confident in saying they have played the toughest schedule of any team in Central Ohio and at the same time, have the highest winning %.
PC is THE team to beat in Columbus. I think UA, NA and Gahanna are next in line. Gahanna has a lot of pressure on them this season and they get back to playing PC again. NA always gets overlooked.

You wont see PC ( true PC football individuals ) coming on here and talking about what they are doing. They work ( hard ) year in and year out to improve each and every day. They do not do 7 on 7, they do not post videos online................they just work and stay quiet. I will say this: PC does have a lot of talent year in and year out. Two years ago no one knew who Rasheem Byles was. He played behind a ton of talent. Last year being a first year starter he turned out. Now going into his senior year he is heading to Pitt and has a very bright future at the next level. Keep that in mind when you see the team this season when you ask who is going to replace all the departures due to graduation. They are big, fast and very deep.

If they played this year ? PN by a couple scores . UA lost a ton
Harry UA will be just fine. I will take that bet game is 9/2 Give me -7 instead of your predicted two scores. Bringing back Undefeated JV and Freshman Teams not to mention arguably the best coaching staff in OCC.

I feel at the high school level you need a mobile QB based on the way DBs at this level play so far off the ball. The exception would be a legitimate pocket passer (Drew Allar) who can sling it 25-30 times a game with a high completion average. PC QB ability to run/pass will cause problems for PN and others. PN QB will have to prove he’s a pro style pocket passer this season where many of his yards last season came from screen passes and quick hitters.

In regards to UA program how do you replace a running back that good from last season ?
Can't replace a RB like Gresock,..... But UA has plenty of talent coming back on both sides of the ball. Monin and Cannon also were lost... but Hayek will take over as QB and plenty of Athletes to step in the WR roles. Scheme will be different then last year but equally effective.

Harry UA will be just fine. I will take that bet game is 9/2 Give me -7 instead of your predicted two scores. Bringing back Undefeated JV and Freshman Teams not to mention arguably the best coaching staff in OCC.
Hayek actually saw action as a Soph, because of injury. Monin beat him out last year, I agree that he will be a solid QB this year. I do know they have had better classes and talent in multiple years now than Coffman has had FWTW. Defense lost some really solid players so it may take some time. I agree on the coaching staff . Buttermore is excellent as we all know, and they have some Coffman flavor over there including an excellent receiver coach in Rankin. Two score 10-13 points 'On paper" starters back and the added talent, which is pretty good, but actually seeing what teams have in scrimmages and 1st couple games then may be a wager lol.

Future win totals in CFB and the NFL is what I am doing now. What would you put the UA win total number at? I have Coffman at 5.5 . I think 6 wins may be the ceiling. Anything more I said would warrant COTY consideration for Stokes [ 8 Wins? he and the team will be the story in CO} . UA schedule has two lay-ups in Westy C and GPM. I think PN is their hardest opponent. [DeSales and Burg the other two non conference games} I think UA should be the favorite again in the conference but I do think Bradley could be competitive. .

Big plays on offense won't likely be as frequent,[Cannon and Gresock gone} but I do agree that they should be able to move the ball pretty well vs. most of their opponents with what they do have .

I’m hearing from a reliable source at PC a kid from PN entering 9th grade will be at their school this upcoming year.

Really looking at the teams a little more closely, I would lay the 7 with PN. I respect an undefeated JV team and it's players , but I don't think those first year varsity guys are going to be better on the whole as the returning guys PN has which is more than UA , then add the three talented transfers and I think laying 7 is reasonable.

Hayek actually saw action as a Soph, because of injury. Monin beat him out last year, I agree that he will be a solid QB this year. I do know they have had better classes and talent in multiple years now than Coffman has had FWTW. Defense lost some really solid players so it may take some time. I agree on the coaching staff . Buttermore is excellent as we all know, and they have some Coffman flavor over there including an excellent receiver coach in Rankin. Two score 10-13 points 'On paper" starters back and the added talent, which is pretty good, but actually seeing what teams have in scrimmages and 1st couple games then may be a wager lol.

Future win totals in CFB and the NFL is what I am doing now. What would you put the UA win total number at? I have Coffman at 5.5 . I think 6 wins may be the ceiling. Anything more I said would warrant COTY consideration for Stokes [ 8 Wins? he and the team will be the story in CO} . UA schedule has two lay-ups in Westy C and GPM. I think PN is their hardest opponent. [DeSales and Burg the other two non conference games} I think UA should be the favorite again in the conference but I do think Bradley could be competitive. .

Big plays on offense won't likely be as frequent,[Cannon and Gresock gone} but I do agree that they should be able to move the ball pretty well vs. most of their opponents with what they do have .
8-2 would be low side more likely 9-1 or 10-0 is what I am thinking.

Really looking at the teams a little more closely, I would lay the 7 with PN. I respect an undefeated JV team and it's players , but I don't think those first year varsity guys are going to be better on the whole as the returning guys PN has which is more than UA , then add the three talented transfers and I think laying 7 is reasonable.
I will take that action. Offense will not be as explosive but the defensive scheme will keep UA in every game. Frankly the D last year did not get near the credit they deserved.

I will take that action. Offense will not be as explosive but the defensive scheme will keep UA in every game. Frankly the D last year did not get near the credit they deserve.
I agree the defense was underrated but they lose most of the key guys off of that D. They will be in the game but PN has some personnel advantages that I think they can take advantage of.

Of the three new transfers to PN is one a qb?
Not the three I am thinking of although Sebert actually played QB last year at Liberty and played that position when you guys scrimmaged them . He made a few plays with his feet . He’s a Jr and will play receiver and may be some DB . Are you asking that way because you think the Jr they have isn’t good ?

It’s hard for me to believe a kid who started QB his sophomore yr would transfer to a team playing WR possibly seeing less touches.If you watch JJ’s film you’ll notice he fits coach Hillerich system in regards to a mobile QB in the spread offense.

On his own Hudl page he lists himself that way . Yes that may be true but in terms of his college prospects he has a better shot at these other positions .

Last edited:
It’s hard for me to believe a kid who started QB his sophomore yr would transfer to a team playing WR possibly seeing less touches.If you watch JJ’s film you’ll notice he fits coach Hillerich system in regards to a mobile QB in the spread offense.
From what I've seen at OSU and heard from others that seems to be the case, WR and maybe some DB.

Not the three I am thinking of although Sebert actually played QB last year at Liberty and played that position when you guys scrimmaged them . He made a few plays with his feet . He’s a Jr and will play receiver and may be some DB . Are you asking that way because you think the Jr they have isn’t good ?
I really don't have opinions on kids based off their sophomore season. We'll see what North's qb really has these next couple years.

Gahanna looks to be loaded but can they put it together? UA will also be very good in r3
I like Gahanna a lot this season. They may have the most talented team in Columbus. They play both Pickerington's along with New Albany this season. Definitely keep an eye on the Lincoln Lions!

Gahanna is a legitimate team heading into the season. One player on their team that could be a breakout player is the RB.The kid has blazing speed and can be an X factor.
Agreed, their rb is a player. Only a jr. They will have a really good defense and solid offense

Not sure if anybody has underachieved more than Gahanna over the last decade+. Always tough and talented, the Lions seem to always find ways NOT to come up big when it matters most. It will be an interesting season... I am really curious as to how PC uses Troy Lane - LITERALLY the fastest high schooler in Ohio... Gahanna's guy may have "blazing" speed, but Lane has world-class speed.

Not sure if anybody has underachieved more than Gahanna over the last decade+. Always tough and talented, the Lions seem to always find ways NOT to come up big when it matters most. It will be an interesting season... I am really curious as to how PC uses Troy Lane - LITERALLY the fastest high schooler in Ohio... Gahanna's guy may have "blazing" speed, but Lane has world-class speed.

I watched them at a 7 on 7 Saturday. They looked ok and had a few dudes, but I wasn't like wow. I agree with the turnover in asst coaches this past year, if they don't have a good year, I wouldn't be surprised to see them looking for a new HC next year. just my 2 cents.