Fairless 191
Valley View 191
Keystone 187
Cleveland C.C. 186
Waynesville 180
Lake Catholic 179
Perry (Lake County) 179
Beachwood 162

Going by these numbers, this is where the previous D1 to D2 split lands. Idk anything about the schools listed. Ask OHSAA, its their data.

The cutoff for this past year:

D1-364 and up
D2-201-363
D3- 200 and fewer
View attachment 28437
Going off of this the possibility of Louisville and Aurora moving up and Graham moving down would create huge tremors in Div 2!! That's literally the 3 top scoring teams in this years D2 tournament!

Graham was above last cycle's demarcation, and the number is only going to go down. The real discussion centers around Ashland almost assuredly moving up with the possibility of Aurora and Louisville doing the same. The clear D2 runner-up favorite is Columbus DeSales.

So whats the time frame for the changes on divisions and new sectional/district assignments?

Graham was above last cycle's demarcation, and the number is only going to go down. The real discussion centers around Ashland almost assuredly moving up with the possibility of Aurora and Louisville doing the same. The clear D2 runner-up favorite is Columbus DeSales.
I did not figure they would end up D3 based on the numbers but it does make for a good what if they did ! You know OHSAA does some crazy things lol !

Your numbers are always pretty close if not right

I'm curious as to how many partial teams (less than 7 wrestlers) are in each division. Is there a way to find that information out?

sectional wrestling grid gives you an idea.but there is like 40 sectionals and its just the kids competing ,not how many on a team.

Look at the entry grids and count them up, that is what the state goes by.
That's a start. But there are scratches. So a team could have 9 on the entry grid, and end up with 6 actually competing. So that team wouldn't be considered a team because they have less than 7 compete. That is what I was told by people at the state when I inquired about the last count.

It will be interesting what will happen it terms of sectional/district realigning as well. If the numbers that bucksman posts happen, you are only looking at 1 team jumping from D3 to D2 in the NE District (Hawken) and yet 7 D2 to D3 teams that would be in the NE District.

It will be interesting what will happen it terms of sectional/district realigning as well. If the numbers that bucksman posts happen, you are only looking at 1 team jumping from D3 to D2 in the NE District (Hawken) and yet 7 D2 to D3 teams that would be in the NE District.
We will be making the jump to D2 for the first time since 1987. Bucksman missed us (Lutheran West)- 216 boys. I'm going to miss going to Independence and Garfield Hts for the post-season.

That's a start. But there are scratches. So a team could have 9 on the entry grid, and end up with 6 actually competing. So that team wouldn't be considered a team because they have less than 7 compete. That is what I was told by people at the state when I inquired about the last c
Look at the entry grids and count them up, that is what the state goes by.
Dumb rule in my opinion…a team could fill 7 or more all season and then drop below that for the sectional and they aren’t considered a team?

Also, why competitive balance in some sports, but not in all? Coming from a small D1 in all sports other than football, (356 boys, about the smallest), closed enrollment district, this one makes ZERO sense.

Belmont’s enrollment figure went from 353 in 2018 to 453 this year….that is quite the jump (They will be going from D2 to D1).

D1 (based on my data):
NE (plus Dover) = 63 schools (allocation 6.11)
C (plus Chillicothe and Logan) = 45 (4.36)
SW = 44 (4.27)
NW = 13 (1.26)
**it's going to be interesting to see who "gets" the 16th sectional

D2 (based on my data):
NE = 47 (4.56)
NW = 34 (3.30)
SW = 31 (3.01)
C = 18 (1.75)
E = 18 (1.75)
SE = 17 (1.65)
**NW 3 sectionals, SW 3 sectionals; the rest is going to get real interesting, and could have some pissed off people

D3 (based on my data):
NW = 49 (4.72)
NE = 44 (4.24)
SW = 28 (2.70)
C = 19 (1.83)
E = 15 (1.45)
SE = 11 (1.06)
**NE will have 4 sectionals; NW will have 5 sectionals; I personally think the SW will end up with 3 small sectionals, the C gets 2 sectionals, the E and SE have 1 sectional each

D3 (based on my data):
NW = 49 (4.72)
NE = 44 (4.24)
SW = 28 (2.70)
C = 19 (1.83)
E = 15 (1.45)
SE = 11 (1.06)
**NE will have 4 sectionals; NW will have 5 sectionals; I personally think the SW will end up with 3 small sectionals, the C gets 2 sectionals, the E and SE have 1 sectional each

There are 6 schools in the Southeast that are under 60miles driving distance (that's shortest distance not shortest drive time) from Madison-Plains that's been a host sectional site for the Central. Shoot, there are neighborhoods where if our kids lived on the other side of the street they would be at Westfall and not MP. I don't know if the balance would help at all or not, but realistically central could pull 4-6 southeast teams and have them allocated to MP to make numbers a little more "even."

It’s an individual tournament, OHSAA should go by individual numbers and not teams with 7+ members. A team with 6 wrestlers can win the state but isn’t a team by their definition. Our sectional had 228 wrestlers!!!

Had some time to look at "entry grids" and D3 had 74 total schools that weren't classified as a team. D2 had 19 total schools. I'm sure that D1 had even less but I did not have time to look at their entry grids as of yet. So it seems to me that D3 schools have the same amount of "teams" but triple the number of "partials". Again, I just looked at the entry grids and not the actual brackets.

Had some time to look at "entry grids" and D3 had 74 total schools that weren't classified as a team. D2 had 19 total schools. I'm sure that D1 had even less but I did not have time to look at their entry grids as of yet. So it seems to me that D3 schools have the same amount of "teams" but triple the number of "partials". Again, I just looked at the entry grids and not the actual brackets.
Just did the D1 Numbers... 9 total schools had less than 7 wrestlers
2 from Central District
2 from St. Edward Sectional
2 from Wadsworth Sectional
3 from Oregon Clay Sectional

Looking at this years total state qualifier teams to teams with 1 participant - teams with >=5 participants: D1. 88 - 44 - 13. D2. 98 - 43 - 10. D3. 102 - 49 - 9. Again, seems closer given the "entry grid" numbers.

Last edited:
if you go to trackwrestling they have 646 teams listed for ohio.so thats 150 schools with less then 7?

So let me ask you guys because I have a hard time figuring this out if it has one a it is D3 and on and on so if schools that are D3 have two A’s now on oshaa site like Utica they’re moving up to D2?

So let me ask you guys because I have a hard time figuring this out if it has one a it is D3 and on and on so if schools that are D3 have two A’s now on oshaa site like Utica they’re moving up to D2?
The OHSAA class of A, AA, AAA has nothing to do with divisions for team sports. The classes are for governance purposes and involve ALL SCHOOLS as opposed to those that are teams for a specific sport.