Final Enrollment Numbers are up

Lionattack

Final Enrollment numbers are up after appeals. Could be some interesting moves. Most notably what they make the cut off for d3 wrestling. Graham only has 208 boys in the school . That would shake up things quite a bit

The cutoff for this past year:

D1-364 and up
D2-201-363
D3- 200 and fewer

These numbers have been used for the past three seasons. Usually reconfigure after two season but OHSAA pushed it back a year because of COVID.

D1-364 and up
D2-201-363
D3- 200 and fewer

These numbers have been used for the past three seasons. Usually reconfigure after two season but OHSAA pushed it back a year because of COVID.
Numbers look down across the board for teams that were division 2. Going to be interesting where the cut off is.

D1-364 and up
D2-201-363
D3- 200 and fewer

Based on those numbers could we see Ross and Monroe move up to D1 status in the SW region?

Going by these numbers, this is where the previous D1 to D2 split lands. Idk anything about the schools listed. Ask OHSAA, its their data.

D1-364 and up
D2-201-363
D3- 200 and fewer
D1 to D2.png

Last edited:
Going by these numbers, this is where the previous D2 to D3 split lands. Idk anything about the schools listed. Ask OHSAA, its their data.

D1-364 and up
D2-201-363
D3- 200 and fewer

D2 to D3.png

Last edited:
Does this sound correct?

In looking at the previous number breakdown, that would put D1 at 178 schools, D2 at 193 schools and D3 at 432 schools (I'm just looking at boys).

Does this sound correct?

In looking at the previous number breakdown, that would put D1 at 178 schools, D2 at 193 schools and D3 at 432 schools (I'm just looking at boys).
I dont think this total reflects the number of school that have wrestling correct? 803 schools in Ohio have wrestling teams? I don't have data to back it up but isn't it closer to 510 schools have wrestling?

I dont think this total reflects the number of school that have wrestling correct? 803 schools in Ohio have wrestling teams?

This just reflects the entire list that they gave, not just schools that have wrestling.

I was just trying to break down the list by the previous cutoffs and give number of schools in each.

Does this sound correct?

If you wanted to split this evenly then it would be 267 schools in each division.

Data point = 267 schools each division
In that scenario we would have these cut offs....
Div - total boys
D1 1300-268
D2 267-134
D3 133-5

(note: I know this does not reflect which schools have wrestling teams. Just going off the numbers like WGTJ)

Last edited:
Im confused at what your saying here. At least some of these teams were D2. I dont have huge knowledge of the majority of these teams, but i know that Aurora, Dover, and Louisville were D2 this past season
Its not my data. I just pulled it out and posted it. Did not edit anything. Someone else will need to tell us how this data is represented in the excel.
For the record i am wondering the same thing you are. I am also wondering why AAA, AA and A is being used.

Last edited:
Its not my data. I just pulled it out and posted it. Did not edit anything. Someone else will need to tell us how this data is represented in the excel.
For the record i am wondering the same thing you are. I am also wondering why AAA, AA and A is being used.

But there was nothing in that data that indicated moving from one division to another. I'm as confused as he is on how you determined who was moving where.

But there was nothing in that data that indicated moving from one division to another. I'm as confused as he is on how you determined who was moving where.
All I did was filter on column E (Boys Base). That is it. Someone else put the cutoff numbers for the divisions. I just went to those cutoff numbers and screenshot the closet teams. I didnt determine who was moving anywhere. Just putting numbers out there for others to speculate.

OHSAA has used the AAA, AA, A nomenclature but it then translates to DI, D2, D3 respectively when assigning wrestling divisions.

From my understanding, when OHSAA determines WRESTLING DIVISIONS, these are the inputs:

1. NUMBER IN EACH DIVISION = total number of participating SCHOOLS entered into 2022 wrestling sectionals - all divisions.
Take this TOTAL value and divide by 3 then evenly distribute into 3 groups.
Hypothetical example: 482 schools TOTAL entered into 2022 wrestling sectionals divided by 3 = 160.66 [D1 = 159, D2 = 160, D3 = 162] roughly

This gives a benchmark for number in each division.
This is not derived from the entire list of schools with boys divided by 3.
This is not derived from the TEAM definition [6+ wrestlers from a school].

For determining the schools in each division:

2. LIST = pull list of all schools from above [TOTAL wrestling schools] and list them in order of enrollment.
ENROLLMENT = boys enrollment number posted on OHSAA enrollment page
Hypotentical example: first 159 = D1, second 160 = D2, third 162 = D3.

All I did was filter on column E (Boys Base). That is it. Someone else put the cutoff numbers for the divisions. I just went to those cutoff numbers and screenshot the closet teams. I didnt determine who was moving anywhere. Just putting numbers out there for others to speculate.

Okay - I understand what you were doing now.

since we did end of course testing today I was bored and figured up how many "teams are in each division" I was told this year that you had to have 7 to be considered a team. Seven entries into sectionals before skin check. That is what my sectional administrator told me.

This is what I have with teams that have 7 or more
Division 1 116 teams
Division 2 133 teams
division 3 121 teams

So it looks like each division will have 123.3 teams that have 7 on them this year. this does not count all the teams that have 6 or less.

I remember Bucksman did a projection three years ago and knew the exact cutoff numbers. He had this done months before OHSAA came out with their final division numbers. I'm sure he would be able to project which schools are moving up or down a division as well as the cutoff numbers.

If you go off the AAA. AA. A beside them as Div 1 2 3 you can see where teams are going.If this holds true. Just a guess????

I cannot imagine that it is as it doesn't take into account who even has what sport. Not just that, but doesn't football have 7 divisions and other sports don't even have 3? Plus some of the schools with larger numbers are AA compared with some with fewer numbers that are listed as AAA. I'm pretty sure that they decide the divisions for wrestling with the number of boys. Not even sure why the As are there.

Based on the research I did, which may be imperfect. I had 496 "teams" in the post-season.

355+ as D1 puts 165 "teams" in D1
192-354 as D2 puts 165 "teams" in D2
191-down as D3 puts 166 "teams" in D3