• Princeton (8-6)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Middletown (9-13)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lakota West (16-9)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
IMO-The Sycamore vs. Middletown game and Fairmont vs Sycamore game were both well officiated. I did see crews that wanted the players performance to decide the game. They considered calling an intentional of the break away and warned the Sycamore player a couple times. They could have called a technical earlier, they didn't appear to say anything to the coach as sometimes they will to avoid making the technical call.

IMO-The Sycamore vs. Middletown game and Fairmont vs Sycamore game were both well officiated. I did see crews that wanted the players performance to decide the game. They considered calling an intentional of the break away and warned the Sycamore player a couple times. They could have called a technical earlier, they didn't appear to say anything to the coach as sometimes they will to avoid making the technical call.
If anything, Sycamore should have gotten a technical earlier. No complaints about the officiating though. Sycamore got cocky after winning a lot of games this year and did not handle the close game with Middletown nor getting down against Fairmont very well (frankly, they showboated against Anderson too and let Anderson get back to within 6). Lesson learned for the 5 players that return next year to form the core of what should be another very good team.

4 Publics in Regionals, quite rare in SW Ohio. GWOC can claim best league status.
Fairfield 62 Wayne 55 Fairfield explosive offense is enough to get the Regional Finals and represent the GMC.
Centerville 47 Fairmont 38 Fairmont works hard to control the tempo. They are good at it but the third time won't be a charm. Elks are too good. Can't see a Villanova over Georgetown repeat but I'll be there and pulling for the Firebirds.
Can't see Centerville held to 47 regardless of tempo. I know they only scored 48 and 51 in the two games in the regular season, but the college court allows for a more up-and-down game and gives them more space in the half court. I don't think Fairmont is that good defensively either (they are awesome offensively) and Centerville outrebounded Fairmont 25-9 in their last game. It's going to take Fairmont shooting 63% in a low tempo game again like they did against Sycamore to win. I can't see them doing that against a Centerville team that will speed you up.

Looking forward to tonight…..Wayne is playing very well & I have not seen FF play-guy tells me Wayne 54-FF 52

Centerville will have a tough time tonight IMHO. Beating a team 3x is tough, playing a rival with a chance to spoil an undefeated campaign, and the fact the Firebirds are playing and shooting very well right now.

Looking forward to tonight…..Wayne is playing very well & I have not seen FF play-guy tells me Wayne 54-FF 52

Centerville will have a tough time tonight IMHO. Beating a team 3x is tough, playing a rival with a chance to spoil an undefeated campaign, and the fact the Firebirds are playing and shooting very well right now.
Fairfield beat Wayne in the regular season 71-70, but had a 15-point halftime lead that they nearly blew. They were clearly the better team, but I think that shows that Wayne is capable of winning if Fairfield doesn't play well.

Fairmont doesn't stand a prayer of guarding Centerville. They are going to need to execute offensively at a really high level to have a chance including both scoring and playing stall-ball/keep-away if they have a lead at all.

If anything, Sycamore should have gotten a technical earlier. No complaints about the officiating though. Sycamore got cocky after winning a lot of games this year and did not handle the close game with Middletown nor getting down against Fairmont very well (frankly, they showboated against Anderson too and let Anderson get back to within 6). Lesson learned for the 5 players that return next year to form the core of what should be another very good team.
Sycamore would do well to beef up its non-league schedule instead of playing Kings, Milford and Loveland and taking what amounts as a vacation in Florida to beat up on some smaller schools. One couldn't be exactly sure what they had once the gloves came off at tournament time. Howevuh, I'm not sure it is fair to paint the GMC with a broad brush, given Fairfield beating Wayne tonight. Fairmont-Sycamore? Small sample size unless you think Fairmont would easily win, say, a seven-games series with the Aves. Lakota West "didn't belong" in Sunday's field. I'd say its Centerville and then everyone else, regardless of league affiliation.

Sycamore would do well to beef up its non-league schedule instead of playing Kings, Milford and Loveland and taking what amounts as a vacation in Florida to beat up on some smaller schools. One couldn't be exactly sure what they had once the gloves came off at tournament time. Howevuh, I'm not sure it is fair to paint the GMC with a broad brush, given Fairfield beating Wayne tonight. Fairmont-Sycamore? Small sample size unless you think Fairmont would easily win, say, a seven-games series with the Aves. Lakota West "didn't belong" in Sunday's field. I'd say its Centerville and then everyone else, regardless of league affiliation.
They were 1-13 in the GMC last year. They scheduled this year to get wins. I don’t think they were expecting to be this good. I would look for a couple GCL and GWOC non-conference games next year. Unfortunately, they’re locked into playing Milford again.

They were 1-13 in the GMC last year. They scheduled this year to get wins. I don’t think they were expecting to be this good. I would look for a couple GCL and GWOC non-conference games next year. Unfortunately, they’re locked into playing Milford again.
After 2 years of getting to see maybe a handful of games in person, I began to rely on others on here that were there watching. That was a mistake. I can't trust your scouting reports anymore my man. Too many little things you miss.

Two entertaining games last night. Fairmont could have pulled it off. I was pulling for them once I was there.
Fairfield did what they do. The big from FF, Rogers I think played a really good game. He neutralized the Wayne big, rebounded, and was a presence. Most attention goes to the FF guards but this kid was big last night.
FYI-I still trust you JBaller. :)

A very good year for the GMC. A better year for the GWOC. It pains me to say but it appears the GWOC is and might be the best again next season the best public-school league. Nice job Indians getting to Regional Finals.

A very good year for the GMC. A better year for the GWOC. It pains me to say but it appears the GWOC is and might be the best again next season the best public-school league. Nice job Indians getting to Regional Finals.
I disagree. Centerville and Fairmont are better than the GMC, then there is a fairly huge drop off after those two in the GWOC. Wayne would have been in the middle of the pack, the rest would have been behind that group. GWOC has the two best teams, GMC top to bottom is more competitive.

On a side note, Fairmont is what East should have been this year. Top to bottom they are almost identical in their makeup. That was a pretty disappointing end to that group of senior's careers. Not sure how or why that team took a left turn, but it was odd to say the least.

I disagree. Centerville and Fairmont are better than the GMC, then there is a fairly huge drop off after those two in the GWOC. Wayne would have been in the middle of the pack, the rest would have been behind that group. GWOC has the two best teams, GMC top to bottom is more competitive.

On a side note, Fairmont is what East should have been this year. Top to bottom they are almost identical in their makeup. That was a pretty disappointing end to that group of senior's careers. Not sure how or why that team took a left turn, but it was odd to say the least.
Underachieving is the word I would say for East the last 2 seasons .. especially with that group, IMO they should have been playing for district titles both years and honestly should have won GMC titles especially last year with Nate Johnson, taking nothing away from FF in being B2B champs as they were on a mission this year and hats off to them, they deserve all they got this year.

I believe Adkins lost the team, someone close to the team told me there was alot of turmoil within the team. The senior group couldn't lead because the younger guys wouldn't follow. More to coaching than just Xs and Os, gotta keep the group connected when faced with adversity. Most importantly you have to have a relationship with your guys. Especially those seniors who had been with him for 10 years. Heard he is bad with relationships, don't know how true it is. Too bad, I believe they had the group to make a legitimate run.

Last edited:
Well here is an early look at GMC returning varsity players who accumulated stats in at least 10 games in the 2021-22 season:

GMC Top Returning Scorers for each team from 2021-22 season (transfers for sure to come and help from JV team):

1. Lakota West--- 14-11---56.2 ppg (Dudukovich 26.1, Lavender 7.3, Barber 6.5, Jackson 5.2, Curry 5.2, Minich 4.1, Tyson 1.8)

2. Sycamore -- 21-3--- 56.0 ppg (Hall 11.9, Burgess 10.5, Bolden 10.5, A. Southerland 8.4, B. Darbyshire 4.1, Kimbrough 2.0)

3. Oak Hills -- 7-15-----40.8 ppg (Schreiber 14.7, Stidham 7.3, Holland 5.4, Murphy 5.0, Toon 3.5, Kessling 2.8, Kessler 2.1 )

4. Mason -- 10-13 ----- 35.4 ppg (Ullom 8.9, Menker 7.4, Koelling 6.2, Hanley 5.4, Golan 3.9, DeBrosse 3.6)

5. Lakota East --18-5-- 34.8 ppg (Kronauge 13.1, Perry 6.9, Mitchell 4.6, Powell 3.2, Spicer 2.7, Meadows 2.5,Siereveld 1.8)

6. Princeton -- 17-8-----33.4 ppg (Woods 9.1, Williams 9.0, Chaney 4.5, Arnold 4.5, Stephens 4.0, Cass 2.3)

7. Fairfield ----23-5 ---- 28.3 ppg (De.Crim 12.3, Coney 7.4, Cunningham 2.5, D. Crim 2.2, Rogers 2.0, King 1.7)

8. Hamilton -- 7-13---- 26.6 ppg (Mathews 14.7, Ishmael 4.2, Avery 2.9, Holden 2.5, Ash 1.5, Riggins 0.8)

9. Middletown 11-14-- 21.9 ppg (Day 12.0, Bailey 5.0, Davis 2.9, Maldonado 2.0)

10.Colerain -- 2-21----- 17.9 ppg (Myrick 6.1, Crossty 5.2, Todd 3.6, Perkins 1.6, Frey 1.4)

Underachieving is the word I would say for East the last 2 seasons .. especially with that group, IMO they should have been playing for district titles both years and honestly should have won GMC titles especially last year with Nate Johnson, taking nothing away from FF in being B2B champs as they were on a mission this year and hats off to them, they deserve all they got this year.

I believe Adkins lost the team, someone close to the team told me there was alot of turmoil within the team. The senior group couldn't lead because the younger guys wouldn't follow. More to coaching than just Xs and Os, gotta keep the group connected when faced with adversity. Most importantly you have to have a relationship with your guys. Especially those seniors who had been with him for 10 years. Heard he is bad with relationships, don't know how true it is. Too bad, I believe they had the group to make a legitimate run.
Thats interesting to hear. Regardless of how true or not, something strange went down in that program. To have that class just fizzle out like that was odd and disappointing to say the least, but the most strange was the change in offensive and defensive philosophies. His track record in my opinion allows him to be given room to stray from the norm, but I don't see how what they tried this year was good on either end of the floor. Guess we will see how it plays out in the coming year. If the rumors you say are even partially true I would think you'll see the program take a hit with its summer programs.

Well here is an early look at GMC returning varsity players who accumulated stats in at least 10 games in the 2021-22 season:

GMC Top Returning Scorers for each team from 2021-22 season (transfers for sure to come and help from JV team):

1. Lakota West--- 14-11---56.2 ppg (Dudukovich 26.1, Lavender 7.3, Barber 6.5, Jackson 5.2, Curry 5.2, Minich 4.1, Tyson 1.8)

2. Sycamore -- 21-3--- 56.0 ppg (Hall 11.9, Burgess 10.5, Bolden 10.5, A. Southerland 8.4, B. Darbyshire 4.1, Kimbrough 2.0)

3. Oak Hills -- 7-15-----40.8 ppg (Schreiber 14.7, Stidham 7.3, Holland 5.4, Murphy 5.0, Toon 3.5, Kessling 2.8, Kessler 2.1 )

4. Mason -- 10-13 ----- 35.4 ppg (Ullom 8.9, Menker 7.4, Koelling 6.2, Hanley 5.4, Golan 3.9, DeBrosse 3.6)

5. Lakota East --18-5-- 34.8 ppg (Kronauge 13.1, Perry 6.9, Mitchell 4.6, Powell 3.2, Spicer 2.7, Meadows 2.5,Siereveld 1.8)

6. Princeton -- 17-8-----33.4 ppg (Woods 9.1, Williams 9.0, Chaney 4.5, Arnold 4.5, Stephens 4.0, Cass 2.3)

7. Fairfield ----23-5 ---- 28.3 ppg (De.Crim 12.3, Coney 7.4, Cunningham 2.5, D. Crim 2.2, Rogers 2.0, King 1.7)

8. Hamilton -- 7-13---- 26.6 ppg (Mathews 14.7, Ishmael 4.2, Avery 2.9, Holden 2.5, Ash 1.5, Riggins 0.8)

9. Middletown 11-14-- 21.9 ppg (Day 12.0, Bailey 5.0, Davis 2.9, Maldonado 2.0)

10.Colerain -- 2-21----- 17.9 ppg (Myrick 6.1, Crossty 5.2, Todd 3.6, Perkins 1.6, Frey 1.4)
Does West finally get back to their form of the early 2010's? I mean, they have the best player in the league.

Sycamore got exposed as not really that premier team as advertised? Does experience help change that?

Same question of experience for Oak Hills. Bottom of the league isn't their normal home. Got to think Price has them back to form.

Mason could never really make things click this year. They still had a halfway decent season, but more should always be expected from Mason.

Where is the East program headed??? They have nice talent returning. Will their old ways return as well, or has the program taken a turn?

Princeton is a young squad that looked real hungry this year. I expect to see that hunger grow even more next year. But do they know how to play with a star on the floor? Watch out for these guys.

I think Fairfield takes a step back. Possible middle of the pack, but potential to still make noise.

Hamilton had some talent this year, but did........well did nothing. Not sure why anyone should expect different next year.

Coach has shown Middletown is moving back in the right direction, getting their boys to play well above their expectations. Is the old Middie magic back? Could be.

Another year of Colerain at least fielding a team. That's a positive, right?

Does West finally get back to their form of the early 2010's? I mean, they have the best player in the league.

Sycamore got exposed as not really that premier team as advertised? Does experience help change that?

Same question of experience for Oak Hills. Bottom of the league isn't their normal home. Got to think Price has them back to form.

Mason could never really make things click this year. They still had a halfway decent season, but more should always be expected from Mason.

Where is the East program headed??? They have nice talent returning. Will their old ways return as well, or has the program taken a turn?

Princeton is a young squad that looked real hungry this year. I expect to see that hunger grow even more next year. But do they know how to play with a star on the floor? Watch out for these guys.

I think Fairfield takes a step back. Possible middle of the pack, but potential to still make noise.

Hamilton had some talent this year, but did........well did nothing. Not sure why anyone should expect different next year.

Coach has shown Middletown is moving back in the right direction, getting their boys to play well above their expectations. Is the old Middie magic back? Could be.

West - definitely the best scorer. Team returns talent. Will never play enough defense.

Sycamore - Exposed? A bit dramatic. One district game does not take away from a great season. I will never understand why so many hate on the Aves. Biggest issue is losing quite a player.

Oak Hills - I get confused why their coach seems to be praised so. Longevity? They are not close.

Mason - New coach? I think they will be very similar to this year.

East - Plenty of talent, but the aforementioned chemistry is a big deal. They are well coached regardless of the many questions surrounding this season.

Princeton - Play hard and coached very well. A threat to everyone else every game.

Fairfield - Difficult to predict. I agree that a step back is possible.

Hamilton - Never seems to change.

Middletown - Coach works very hard. Old habits die hard and many that are out of his control.

Colerain - Wish Coach well but...ugh.

West - definitely the best scorer. Team returns talent. Will never play enough defense.

Sycamore - Exposed? A bit dramatic. One district game does not take away from a great season. I will never understand why so many hate on the Aves. Biggest issue is losing quite a player.

Oak Hills - I get confused why their coach seems to be praised so. Longevity? They are not close.

East - Plenty of talent, but the aforementioned chemistry is a big deal. They are well coached regardless of the many questions surrounding this season.

Princeton - Play hard and coached very well. A threat to everyone else every game.

Middletown - Coach works very hard. Old habits die hard and many that are out of his control.

When I say exposed im referring to their ability to be a top level team. That is something that takes time and a change of mentality. Sycamore has a pretty long history of being average and even mediocre. No hate for them, just is what it is. They have the coach now that knows what it takes to build and sustain that level. Next is getting the program, and thus the players, to get that as well. They are on the right track.

As for Price and Oak Hills. In my opinion, success at the high school level shouldn't be about how many state championships you have. That's just not realistic, and unfair if you ask me. True success is the consistent competitiveness of your teams year in and year out. Do you not think Price has accomplished that at Oak Hills? I'm pretty sure any team that plays them, even this year, has respect for them regardless of the final score.

I forgot Mason will have a new coach next year. I still feel with the size and talent they have walking those halls, they should never be below middle of the pack in the league. Again, just my opinion.

When I say exposed im referring to their ability to be a top level team. That is something that takes time and a change of mentality. Sycamore has a pretty long history of being average and even mediocre. No hate for them, just is what it is. They have the coach now that knows what it takes to build and sustain that level. Next is getting the program, and thus the players, to get that as well. They are on the right track.

As for Price and Oak Hills. In my opinion, success at the high school level shouldn't be about how many state championships you have. That's just not realistic, and unfair if you ask me. True success is the consistent competitiveness of your teams year in and year out. Do you not think Price has accomplished that at Oak Hills? I'm pretty sure any team that plays them, even this year, has respect for them regardless of the final score.

I forgot Mason will have a new coach next year. I still feel with the size and talent they have walking those halls, they should never be below middle of the pack in the league. Again, just my opinion.
I keep hearing about a new coach at Mason, but have yet to see anything official about Richards leaving?

In reference to Sycamore, that is what I thought you were referring to, and I just disagree. I believe they were a very high level high school, but just like the crazy tournament that started yesterday, top level teams lose. Remember, only one team wins their last game, but that doesn't mean there are not some great teams out there. Just my opinion as well. I do feel like they are handed out some unfair criticism on this site, and in general conversation. It is really a strange thing. I even think there are programs within the GMC that just don't like them for whatever reasons they may have. I have been told that teams within the league voted them much lower at the draw, and place other leagues above them. Coaches have a right to vote however they choose, but with Sycamore being as good as they were this season, that seems a little strange as well.

I understand your thoughts on coaches being measured by consistency, and the guy at Oak Hills has certainly been consistent. I don't think there is as much respect as you may think. I hear many talking about two things when it comes to Oak Hills. 1) Their style of play being extremely outdated for many years now; 2) Their coaches whine about officials more than any other program is high school basketball history. Right or wrong, that is ALL I ever hear about Oak Hills. I don't really have an opinion. Truth be told, most times success comes down to the players versus coaches, that is just how it works.

I have only heard rumors around a coaching change at Mason.

Thank you for the dialogue.

Sycamore's biggest "problem", if you want to call it a problem, is that it is not an open enrollment school district. The coaches make do with whoever lives in the district. Nobody finding "a long lost relative" living within the district to move in with and no poaching. When Sycamore won back-to-back league championships in 1996 and 1997 it was a matter of coach Wally Vickers not breaking the chain of what coaches at the lower levels did. That is, Sycamore happened to have two back-to-back classes that won league championships every year from the 7th grade on up. And, the kicker was none of the core players in either class bailed out to go to Moeller or St. X. Since then the pipeline was been dry until this season.

Sycamore's biggest "problem", if you want to call it a problem, is that it is not an open enrollment school district. The coaches make do with whoever lives in the district. Nobody finding "a long lost relative" living within the district to move in with and no poaching. When Sycamore won back-to-back league championships in 1996 and 1997 it was a matter of coach Wally Vickers not breaking the chain of what coaches at the lower levels did. That is, Sycamore happened to have two back-to-back classes that won league championships every year from the 7th grade on up. And, the kicker was none of the core players in either class bailed out to go to Moeller or St. X. Since then the pipeline was been dry until this season.

Curious to know, over the past 20-25 years, I would like to know what player has left the Sycamore school district to enroll at Moeller that made an impact on Moeller's program?

Curious to know, over the past 20-25 years, I would like to know what player has left the Sycamore school district to enroll at Moeller that made an impact on Moeller's program?
I don't know. I don't follow them that closely. I'm referring to any that Moeller may have cherry-picked between the 8th grade and 9th grade years. That goes for football as well as basketball. I'm stabbing and going beyond your time frame, but did Mike Monserez(?) live in the Sycamore district and go to Moeller directly from a parish school? And at that time there was a Murphy family that sent the sons to Sycamore through the 8th grade and then went to Moeller. I seem to remember Freddie Johnson going to Sycamore schools through the 8th grade and then becoming an impact basketball player at St. X. I have many more and better things to do than to hang around Sycamore's 7th and 8th grade basketball games to see who Moeller's scouts are eyeing.

Let us hear it for the Middie Magic.