Fashion confession- Own up here

SLS

Over the years, I have owned and worn a beret, dirty bucks, pegged pants, Beatle boots, heel plates on my shoes, a Nehru jacket, a safari suit, a sharkskin suit,bell bottoms, paisley shirt, beachcombers, a half-inch wide belt, and a seven inch wide tie. I do feel somewhat smug in stating that I have never worn the patent leather combo of white belt and white shoes. In first grade, I even talked my dad into buying me a pair of black leather clodhoppers with the word "hillbilly" discreetly displayed on each boot.

Where do old people get those all leather new balance shoes? AARP magazine?
I was in my 40's when wife got me a pair over 15 years ago from the New Balance store at one of the malls in Cbus. Have also seen them at Penney's and another places. But most of mine come from the NB website, some of them with nylon mesh uppers My latest pair from website is the 608 in brown suede.

I was in my 40's when wife got me a pair over 15 years ago from the New Balance store at one of the malls in Cbus. Have also seen them at Penney's and another places. But most of mine come from the NB website, some of them with nylon mesh uppers My latest pair from website is the 608 in brown suede.
Rock your jorts and calf high black socks with those?

So who else other than the OP will own up to wearing a beret?
Never had the desire to wear one. And I don't have the mandatory topcoat, a la Sam Kinison.

Truth be told, I never thought hats look great on me. Wouldn't mind trying one of those crushable fedoras. Mrs. Z has to get me a topcoat to go with it, though.

Back in the mid sixties a buddy and I bought matching blue puffy shirts and wore them to high school--ONCE.
1643905157045.png

When my son was young he had E wide feet. Do you know how hard it is to find wide shoes for little kids? I paid more for his shoes than I did for mine. I now wear NB and for the rare occasions I dress up a little I still have a few pairs of very nice Florsheim to wear. Keep them clean and polished and ready to go.

How do those Skechers compare in durability?

I've wanted to try some of the New Balance "Fresh Foam" models, but I know those things will wear out quicker than the regular NB styles.
I usually walk 4 to 5 miles a day. So far so good. For some reason I was wearing out the heels on the New Balances. The Skechers are wearing more evenly for me. Never tried the "Fresh Foam" model.

Last edited:
When my son was young he had E wide feet. Do you know how hard it is to find wide shoes for little kids? I paid more for his shoes than I did for mine. I now wear NB and for the rare occasions I dress up a little I still have a few pairs of very nice Florsheim to wear. Keep them clean and polished and ready to go.
I had to wear shoes that looked like this as kid. As you can imagine I was a big hit at recess. ?
1644161366211.png

Conventional dress shoes have always been a big problem for me. Very narrow and zero support or cushioning. Rockport, which is owned by NB makes some really good wide dress shoes that fit and feel like wearing a tennis shoe.
1644161590408.png

My wife tries to rotate my clothes out. I would only wear 2 or 3 outfits. She's trying to piece together a 20 year old sweatshirt. Pressures on, its my favorite. My bostonian tassled wing tips are 30 years old. I do own a tailored Hugo Boss suit. Funerals and weddings and business deals. I'll probably be buried in it. Don't mess with my old shirts!

People need to make use of their local tailor. Having pants or a suit that fits the right way makes a big difference

Yep, if you can afford it. I had pants made when I was overseas 3rd world where there was no affordable nice off the rack. You tell the tailor what you want. He sends you to the outdoor market to buy the fabric and bring it back. Still the best fitting, most stylish pants I got, though dark olive green isn't quite the fashion statement here that it was there.

I don’t know if this is a confession, but I only wear plain white Brooks Brothers dress shirts for work. No other colors, no patterns, just white. It makes things much easier, bc you don’t have to worry about matching ties with the shirt.