Division III State Championship: Hamilton Badin (14-0) vs. Chardon (15-0)

Who wins?

• Chardon by 17+

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Chardon by 8-16

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • Chardon by 1-7

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Badin by 1-7

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • Badin by 8-16

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Badin by 17+

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This matchup is similar to the Chardon DeSales game last year, people kept saying Chardon rolled everyone during the season therefore they got this in the bag, region 9 Winner wins it all. Granted they did win last year but no easy task. I have a feeling this year could be the same, could come down to the kickers! Good Luck to both teams.

Everyone chirping that Chardon has this game won could backfire on these kids. If their that good they will win, but they better not take Badin lightly

This matchup is similar to the Chardon DeSales game last year, people kept saying Chardon rolled everyone during the season therefore they got this in the bag, region 9 Winner wins it all. Granted they did win last year but no easy task. I have a feeling this year could be the same, could come down to the kickers! Good Luck to both teams.
I think part of the reason why the state championship was closer than most thought was because Chardon had the most difficult path to the championship game and got banged up and worn down by the final week. Had both teams played in the first round rather than the final round, you likely would have Chardon win a bit more comfortably, probably by a couple scores.

I guarantee everyone that Chardon will not take lightly a 14-0 team that is playing in the state finals. You don't get here by taking anyone lightly. Plus, Chardon's coaching staff has either coached in or played in a combined 200 or so playoff games with a couple of guys having coached in 3 state championship games and 8 state semi-final games. Chardon will treat this like the business trip that it is and may the best team win - and may that team be the Hilltoppers ;). By the way, Glenville, Ursuline, Riverside, East, Canfield, and Dover all had pretty decent defensive lines with large and fast people everywhere. I don't think anybody is going to intimidate the 'Toppers O-Line at this point. Glenville had at least one kid who might have a shot at playing on Sundays someday. It's going to be an exciting week.

I guarantee everyone that Chardon will not take lightly a 14-0 team that is playing in the state finals. You don't get here by taking anyone lightly. Plus, Chardon's coaching staff has either coached in or played in a combined 200 or so playoff games with a couple of guys having coached in 3 state championship games and 8 state semi-final games. Chardon will treat this like the business trip that it is and may the best team win - and may that team be the Hilltoppers ;). By the way, Glenville, Ursuline, Riverside, East, Canfield, and Dover all had pretty decent defensive lines with large and fast people everywhere. I don't think anybody is going to intimidate the 'Toppers O-Line at this point. Glenville had at least one kid who might have a shot at playing on Sundays someday. It's going to be an exciting week.
Then they should be well prepared. Is one of those experienced coaches the one who wore the Bane mask ?

I think part of the reason why the state championship was closer than most thought was because Chardon had the most difficult path to the championship game and got banged up and worn down by the final week. Had both teams played in the first round rather than the final round, you likely would have Chardon win a bit more comfortably, probably by a couple scores.
So Desales was fresh as a daisy?

I’m not buying that crap, don’t try to diminish what either of those teams accomplished last year. Chardon rolled through their region last year and rested the starters in the 4th quarter. It wasn’t a rougher road at all. What because NEO football is far more superior than everywhere else? As for this year all the talk has been region 9 toughest region in the state 8 or 9 teams could win the state out of this region too bad you only get one. No doubt Chardon is the cream of the crop and deservedly so, you wanna be the champ gotta beat the champ, Badin has their chance and I’m sure those kids will give it their best shot.

So Desales was fresh as a daisy?
I am not saying that, just that if both teams were 100% it would have benefited Chardon more. DeSales was not as banged up as Chardon but they certainly weren't as you suggest.
DeSales was a great team last year don't get me wrong, I just think there were a few teams in region 9 that were a bit better.

Another consideration is Chardon knew in advance this year and last year who they had to beat to win region 9, but the other regions are more unpredictable and it was hard to predict very far in advance who would win the other regions. Chardon could prepare for teams like Aurora, Dover, Canfield in advance knowing they would have to play them to win the region, no one knew DeSales would make it to the state title game much less win their region.

I am not saying that, just that if both teams were 100% it would have benefited Chardon more. DeSales was not as banged up as Chardon but they certainly weren't as you suggest.
DeSales was a great team last year don't get me wrong, I just think there were a few teams in region 9 that were a bit better.

Another consideration is Chardon knew in advance this year and last year who they had to beat to win region 9, but the other regions are more unpredictable and it was hard to predict very far in advance who would win the other regions. Chardon could prepare for teams like Aurora, Dover, Canfield in advance knowing they would have to play them to win the region, no one knew DeSales would make it to the state title game much less win their region.
Maybe no one in Region 9 knew about DeSales but trust me people had an idea of who was coming out of that region last year. It was one of two teams and they played each other 3 times. Just like Badin was the favorite to win their region this year. As was Chardon, just because you know your area and the good teams in it doesn’t mean schools around the state aren’t any less worthy. I mean come on the 15th seed gave the regional runner up all they could handle and Hartley smacked them around, and an injury depleted DeSales beat Steuby in Steubenville. I guarantee Badin’s schedule was pretty tough and they will be prepared.

Curious if Badin was named Kettering Alter if the whole dialogue would change?
Chardon has handled their entire schedule against some good teams, nothing but respect from this keyboard tough guy.

Last edited:
Last year Chardons QB played with a knee injury that needed attention and they still threw for 249 yds on Desales. Not because they wanted too, but because Desales committed to stopping the run. Chardon coaching staff spent the entire week prior to the finals installing passing sets in the event that would happen. On film it does seem like Badin has more depth in their playbook. West Holmes had about 6 or 8 legit plays from what it looked like. You can only run bubble screens so many times before the good teams figure it out. Badins #20 is definitely skilled, but im not how deep that position is for them. There is ZERO chance either of these teams take each other lightly.

The dialogue should change seeing how Badin’s résumé posts a 31-0 shellacking of Alter and a good win over state semi finalist McNick. But when the regional bias dictates who are ”good” programs and who are not that’s why the rhetoric is this way. Believe me I’m not short selling Chardon, they are a fantastic group of young men, they have size, speed,athleticism are well disciplined and honestly they have a bit of a mean streak. The Rams will have to play mistake free football to keep it close.

Curious if Badin was named Kettering Alter if the whole dialogue would change?
Chardon has handled their entire schedule against some good teams, nothing but respect from this keyboard tough guy.
Simkon is a Canfield fan that just try’s to keep their season going in every possible thread he can….. I can tell you that CHARDON is looking forward to playing the best possible competition in the state final. This game was predicted in the first weeks of the season and it will be reality on Friday……

Look, all kidding aside, Chardon is the top dog as they’re defending state champs and obviously a very good football team and Badin is a huge underdog especially without their starting QB. But to act like they have zero chance is pretty disrespectful

Maybe no one in Region 9 knew about DeSales but trust me people had an idea of who was coming out of that region last year. It was one of two teams and they played each other 3 times. Just like Badin was the favorite to win their region this year. As was Chardon, just because you know your area and the good teams in it doesn’t mean schools around the state aren’t any less worthy. I mean come on the 15th seed gave the regional runner up all they could handle and Hartley smacked them around, and an injury depleted DeSales beat Steuby in Steubenville. I guarantee Badin’s schedule was pretty tough and they will be prepared.
That is besides the point, the point I was making is Chardon knew who they had to beat to win the region but due to the possibility of upsets it would have been next to impossible to predict their opponent for the championship game before the playoffs started. Case and point DeSales had that loss to Waterson and several other close games that could have gone the other way. And the region 12 winner could have possibly beat DeSales. Chardon can't prepare way in advance for every possible team that could come out of the other regions, even if you narrow it down to a few top teams in each region that is still 9 teams or so. When the bracket was made for their region they were able to focus on several teams they would be most likely to face.

Look, all kidding aside, Chardon is the top dog as they’re defending state champs and obviously a very good football team and Badin is a huge underdog especially without their starting QB. But to act like they have zero chance is pretty disrespectful
Between the schools that count you are the only one that has been disrespectful, all the other negative comments on this thread are from fans that have lost against CHARDON. We know what we are facing and the focus is on this game this week! I cannot wait till game time…… will be the best competition of the year!

Simkon is a Canfield fan that just try’s to keep their season going in every possible thread he can….. I can tell you that CHARDON is looking forward to playing the best possible competition in the state final. This game was predicted in the first weeks of the season and it will be reality on Friday……
He’s the one who’s football acumen rides on a cousins coattails that plays for LAC, if I remember reading his post lauding his accomplishments on some other Canfield thread. It’s all good, regional bias is good for debate.
This has the making of a hell of a game good luck to all. Have to throw support to my underdog Catholic brethren,
Go Rams!,

Between the schools that count you are the only one that has been disrespectful, all the other negative comments on this thread are from fans that have lost against CHARDON. We know what we are facing and the focus is on this game this week! I cannot wait till game time…… will be the best competition of the year!
How have I been disrespectful to Chardon? I said their O Line is a little small, that’s it. The Bane mask thing is just weird, sorry

That is besides the point, the point I was making is Chardon knew who they had to beat to win the region but due to the possibility of upsets it would have been next to impossible to predict their opponent for the championship game before the playoffs started. Case and point DeSales had that loss to Waterson and several other close games that could have gone the other way. And the region 12 winner could have possibly beat DeSales. Chardon can't prepare way in advance for every possible team that could come out of the other regions, even if you narrow it down to a few top teams in each region that is still 9 teams or so. When the bracket was made for their region they were able to focus on several teams they would be most likely to face.
You make no sense whatsoever no one really knows how a regional bracket is going to come out, you prepare for the team that’s ahead of you, and you send scouts to the pairing that will present your next opponent and maybe another scout to another game to scout two other teams. It all depends on your resources. But to say you know who to focus on is ridiculous, crystal balls are not real.

For Chardon fans interested in key players/matchups in the game here is the GCL link for Badin player stats, etc

Would any Chardon fans know of a website where Badin fans can look at Chardons statistics?

Looking forward to a great game!!!

I know very little about Badin.
I think there best regular season win was McNicholas.
And Badin beat McNicholas worse than Clinton Massie.

I would say Chardon is in the Clinton-Massie style of game.
I think I saw one highlight of Badin. So I have zero info on them.
Usually when Ohio hs football fans don’t have any clue on the opposing team they key in on the region and schedule of that team. But it’s still about matching up vs that team in particular. They are obviously both really above just good teams if they are the only 2 left to play. Lol

What can you say? It’s a Classic Northeast vs Southwest State Title game.

I always say you can’t go by comparative scores, it’s how team A matches up vs Team B.
Strengths vs Weakness.

I think having a good defense puts Badin in a good position vs Chardon.

I don’t know which team is healthy besides the QB. Exactly what week did Badin lose this QB?

From the few highlights I saw of Badin I was impressed.
Reminded me of Kettering Alter athletes but run a more spread offense. From the tiny bit I seen it looked similar to Dover’s style of offense.

Fans can say the regions are all the same level. But I digress.
There wasn’t (1) easy 1st round playoff game in Region 9.
The region was log jammed with good competition that could bite you if you didn’t bring it each week.
Usually there are a couple 4-6 teams with this new playoff format that are tomato cans for the higher seeds. Not R9. Not this year. Chardon could lose and I would still stay R9 from top to bottom had more solid programs in it than any other region. Chardon pretty much coasted right through R9 which was a little disconcerting for the other 15 programs, ?, it was very eye opening for me personally as I thought there was a few teams capable of making Chardon struggle this year. Plus a good bit of the R9 teams where getting healthy and players back at the right time.

Back to D3 State Final;

I’m gonna go with Chardon in a closer game than most of fans seem to think.
I know the brand of football in southwest Ohio. It’s a VERY good brand of football also.

Like always the game will come down to which team can win the line of scrimmage with consistency. Which team is more mentally disciplined, and a tiny bit of luck always helps.

Not knowing how healthy these teams are at this point in the season, it’s probably gonna come down to each Teams Will and Want to Win.
At this point, especially in high school football these kids tend to take upon themselves the Will, Character, Toughness and personality of their Head Coach’s and dance with the girl they took to the prom. They are who they are, in other words.
Maybe a trick play here or there, a fake punt maybe, maybe a few more passes. But we are creatures of habit in stressful situations. I expect to see these teams do what they do best and let the chips fall we they will.
I’ll pick;

Chardon-22
Badin- 17

Last edited:
I know very little about Chardon outside of their recent success and what I read on here. I've seen a few highlights, but not enough to make a case. Bottom line is, they are the defending state champs and haven't lost a game in over two years. They are the favorite and for the first time all year Badin will be considered the underdog. Badin will need to cut down the penalties and play mistake free football to win this game. The Badin defense has surrendered a total of 12 points in the playoffs and only 1 TD (St. Mary's had a TD but it was on a KO return). They have pitched 3 shutouts and held a very good rushing team (Granville) with a back over 2500 yards to a total of 2 yards rushing. Their defense is led by an outstanding front 7 and their D-Line is as good as I've seen. I believe this is going to be a really good game and I think it will be a defensive slugfest and low scoring affair. I'm going to make my homer pick and take Badin 14-13.

Status
Not open for further replies.