Top 5 Teams in your County's History

I wonder how many times the AP has been correct (In All Divisions) over the years win the state title was won on the field? Anyone?
Majority of AP poll champs DO NOT go on to win the actual championship on the field. Since playoff era began only 32% of AP poll champs actually won the championship on the field. So its safe to assume most of the poll champions prior to 1972 were indeed not the best team on the field but the most popular.

thavoice - I agree with most of what you said in your last post #142 but the last sentence "They are sort of like that handicap kid who is allowed to score by the other team. A token title, so to speak". I know/assume you were trying to be funny and derogatory towards the FEW Massillon idiots that ruin thread after thread (like they did to this one). However, it was at the expense of the 'handicap kid'. Those stories of the 'handicap kid' inspire people - they make other kids, coaches, parents and the community better people. These 'handicap kids' deserve better and are WAY better than the FEW Massillon idiots you enjoy antagonizing.

Auglaize:

St Marys Memorial - 93 State Champ
St Marys Memorial - 90 State Champ
St Marys Memorial - 92 State Champ
Minster - 89 State Champ
New Bremen - 20 State Champ

Many from St Marys will say the 78 (or possibly 79, I can't remember which) should be second on this list. Minster 14 or 17 could replace New Bremen in 20 and I wouldn't argue too much.
St Marys went 30-0 in the 77-79 regular seasons. They lost in the playoffs in 77 and 78. Didn't make the playoffs in 79, that was probably the best team in that stretch and they can remain legends since they never lost. They were #1 in the AP and UPI polls.

Back then only 4 teams in each division (A, AA, AAA) made the playoffs.

Easy to imagine that back in the early playoff era the "best" team often didn't even make the post season.

I have a hard time putting any team above the Bobby Hoying, Jeff Hartings, Bruiser Brunswick, Big Red Niekamp and the Gels kid I think.
For those unaware - Voice just noted that a public D5 (when there were only 5 divisions) had two NFL draft picks playing for them. A 1st rounder & 3rd rounder. Seriously?!?!? And as great as they were, they had some other Neanderthals on that team. Wow. Just wow.

For those unaware - Voice just noted that a public D5 (when there were only 5 divisions) had two NFL draft picks playing for them. A 1st rounder & 3rd rounder. Seriously?!?!? And as great as they were, they had some other Neanderthals on that team. Wow. Just wow.
Bruiser was purportedly a prospect until an injury, and misdiagnosis by a Dr., sidelined and derailed him while at Toledo. He was a very talented WR

Knee issues brought Big Red down at Ohio State.

oh..and they were pretty good in hoops as well and I believe Back to Back Champions.

I’ll take a crack at Lake and Geauga because those are the teams I follow

Lake
1992 Lake Catholic 14-0 State Champs
2013 Kirtland 15-0 State Champs
2018 Kirtland 15-0 State Champs
2013 Mentor 13-2 State Runner up
1991 Lake Catholic 13-1 State Champs

Could easily make a case for a bunch of Mentor and Kirtland teams as well as the 01 Lake Catholic team

Geauga
2020 Chardon 12-0 State Champs
2018 Kenston 14-1 State Champs
1994 Chardon 14-0 State Champs
1998 Chardon 13-1 State Runner up
1995 Kenston 13-1 State Runner up
Since you follow Geauga and Lake counties, I’d love for you to rank the top 5 Chardon, Mentor, Perry, Kirtland and Lake Catholic teams. These seem to be the top five in this area.

Since you follow Geauga and Lake counties, I’d love for you to rank the top 5 Chardon, Mentor, Perry, Kirtland and Lake Catholic teams. These seem to be the top five in this area.
Whoo boy. Here goes. Mentor 13, 03, 18, 19, 12. Perry would be 19, 17, 18, 16, 08. Chardon 20, 94, 98, 95, 16. Kirtland 13, 18, 20, 11, 15. Lake Catholic 93, 92, 01, 10, 09. Those are just off the top of my head. Don’t hold me to it. I may have a year or 2 or many mixed up in my head.

Stark Co has been done a few times (shocking that Louisville or Tuslaw didn't make the list), will try Wayne Co:

2018 Orrville. State Champs. Probably recency bias, but they scored 200+ pts in playoffs and could have had 60 in title game if other team didn't have 3 10+ minute drives.
2011 Norwayne. State Champs. Most athletic WCAL team ever, crazy good coaching (RIP Coach Harbour), & a MLB/QB who would make Tebow seem kinda soft
1994 Orrville. State Runner Up. Absolutely destroyed Benedictine in semi's.
2002 Smithville. State Runner Up. Physical & fast. 2 T/Os in 4th qtr killed their chances at a ring.
1998 Orrville. State Champs. Coldwater fans know why this team isn't higher.

Notably missing from the list is Wooster. They have more state championships in wheelchair basketball (3) than football semi-final appearances (1). BTW, don't laugh, they had a STUD in wheelchair basketball. Kid could make more shots from anywhere on court than 90% of us could make layups!

I'll also take a stab at Wayne County:

1 - 2011 Norwayne
2 - 1998 Orrville
3- 1994 Orrville
4 - 2018 Orrville
5 - 1986 Wooster

Whoo boy. Here goes. Mentor 13, 03, 18, 19, 12. Perry would be 19, 17, 18, 16, 08. Chardon 20, 94, 98, 95, 16. Kirtland 13, 18, 20, 11, 15. Lake Catholic 93, 92, 01, 10, 09. Those are just off the top of my head. Don’t hold me to it. I may have a year or 2 or many mixed up in my head.
Chardon had some really good teams

St Marys went 30-0 in the 77-79 regular seasons. They lost in the playoffs in 77 and 78. Didn't make the playoffs in 79, that was probably the best team in that stretch and they can remain legends since they never lost. They were #1 in the AP and UPI polls.

Back then only 4 teams in each division (A, AA, AAA) made the playoffs.

Easy to imagine that back in the early playoff era the "best" team often didn't even make the post season.

I say they won state then. Why not? If poll titles count pre playoffs, why not poll titles when 1 or 2 per region made it?

Stark Co has been done a few times (shocking that Louisville or Tuslaw didn't make the list), will try Wayne Co:

2018 Orrville. State Champs. Probably recency bias, but they scored 200+ pts in playoffs and could have had 60 in title game if other team didn't have 3 10+ minute drives.
2011 Norwayne. State Champs. Most athletic WCAL team ever, crazy good coaching (RIP Coach Harbour), & a MLB/QB who would make Tebow seem kinda soft
2002 Smithville. State Runner Up. Physical & fast. 2 T/Os in 4th qtr killed their chances at a ring.

Notably missing from the list is Wooster. They have more state championships in wheelchair basketball (3) than football semi-final appearances (1). BTW, don't laugh, they had a STUD in wheelchair basketball. Kid could make more shots from anywhere on court than 90% of us could make layups!

2011 Norwayne was legit. Any team that could beat Kenton with a Mauk at QB had to be.

Tough to exclude that, I believe it was 84 Orrville team with Tom Bolyard, (sp), Keith Denson, Jack Leader. I believe they were state runners up.
Yep, dang it. Should have caught that. 83 was runner up but got beat soundly in final. 84 lost to Ready by 1 in semis.

Guess that means the list is basically Norwayne + 4 Orrville’s. Might still have to make room for that Smithville team too.

He dropped the pass.

I'm Curious to hear people opinions on this

In Hamilton County

1. 2004 Colerain
2. 2007 St. Xavier
3. 1980 Moeller
4. 2014 La Salle
5. 1977 Moeller
Old head opinion.

1. 1982 Moeller #1 ranked in the Nation
2. 1983 Princeton #2 ranked in the Nation
3. 2004 Colerain #5 ranked in the Nation
3. 2005 St. Xavier #5 ranked in the Nation
4. 1986 Purcell #4 ranked in the Nation

Honorable Mention-2003 Elder #6 in the Nation

Rankings by USA Today

Old head opinion.

Rankings by USA Today
Great list. However, don’t forget the outstanding 1980 Moeller team. They were named national champions after completing a 13-0 season.

Old head opinion.

Rankings by USA Today
Princeton 1983 was ranked that high? IIRC, they lost 2 games that year with Moeller, Week 10.

Princeton 1983 was ranked that high? IIRC, they lost 2 games that year with Moeller, Week 10.
Beat Moeller and Akron Garfield (in playoffs) both of whom were nationally ranked and won state. Akron Garfield was rated #3 in the country and Princeton #10 going into the state championship game. The Vikes started the season ranked #1 in the country and finished #2.

Last edited:
Montgomery County (Dayton Area)
Div 1
2015 Wayne (14-1 State Runner up)
1999 Wayne (13-2 State Runner up)
1991 Centerville (13-2 State Runner up)
1984 Centerville (11-1; beat #1 Team in the Nation; Moeller)
1975 Centerville (10-0; 6 shutouts, allowed 34 pts)

Montgomery County (Dayton Area)
Div 1
2015 Wayne (14-1 State Runner up)
1999 Wayne (13-2 State Runner up)
1991 Centerville (13-2 State Runner up)
1984 Centerville (11-1; beat #1 Team in the Nation; Moeller)
1975 Centerville (10-0; 6 shutouts, allowed 34 pts)
No Trotwood?

Hamilton County

1. 67' Roger Bacon
2. 75-79' Moeller
3. 04' Colerain
4. 07' St. X
5 62' Wyoming [scored 446 to 0]
6. 49' Purcell [As an example of how the poll titles were awarded - The Sports Writers Association and the Ohio High School Coaches Association both named Purcell as the state’s top team, the AP picked Massillon Washington]

Last edited: