Top 5 Teams in your County's History

2013 Loveland Tigers, not that I’m biased.
That's a heavyweight lineup. You forgot #2 '76 Moeller, whom Jerry Faust says was his greatest. With all due respect, I don't think Loveland makes that list. I would probably place '86 Fairfield (State Champs D1) or even some of the other Moeller, St. X teams ahead as well. Appreciate the bias though :)

Last edited:
Troy was the team that set the bar for Centerville , no question about it. In fairness to the '71 Trojans, the Elks that year had 1 NFL player (Dave Preston) and I believe 3 other future D1 guys. They were definitely no pushover.
And Troy won 22-13.

I said 20 years ago and I'll say it again... Had there been a playoff in '71, I honestly believe Troy was the best team in the state. Would have loved to have seen them beat Massillon.
Why mention Massillon? Warren Harding won the 1971 title.

Because IT"S Massillon! I get it though. I believe Troy came in #2 in the "AAA" poll voting that year. So somebody besides me thought they were pretty good...:)

That's a heavyweight lineup. You forgot #2 '76 Moeller, whom Jerry Faust says was his greatest. With all due respect, I don't think Loveland makes that list. I would probably place '86 Fairfield (State Champs D1) or even some of the other Moeller, St. X teams ahead as well. Appreciate the bias though :)

The high school physically sits in Hamilton County, not Clermont, correct?

Does anyone know off the top of his or her head.....

Out of Ohio's 88 counties-how many do not have a single football state championship since the title was won on the field in '72?

I would imagine there are more without than with?

Probably quite a few titles won by schools that no longer exist, too?

Does anyone know off the top of his or her head.....

Out of Ohio's 88 counties-how many do not have a single football state championship since the title was won on the field in '72?

I would imagine there are more without than with?

Probably quite a few titles won by schools that no longer exist, too?
I think this would actually be a really interesting stat. Like you said, I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more counties without a title than those with one.

:)...Thinking back, I do acknowledge that MU and the SWBL were better than I previously thought. Thanks for the info.
I also have come to learn over the years that there is d1 talent and there is D1 talent. They are not all equal as we know.
Also, things we remember from our youth often seem bigger-than-life, while after years of perspective they begin to appear less sensational (Secretariat not withstanding).
In support of your '71 Troy analysis, I will say this. Though it was only one game (and maybe Troy was a little off that night), Centerville's best 2 or 3 teams from the mid 70's/early 80's would have beaten the '71 Elk team by 3 touchdowns. Of this, I am certain. '71 Troy won by 9.
I can also tell you that Bob Gregg once hinted that prior to the Centerville run ( '75 on ) , that no Elk team prior to that era would have beaten his best Jefferson teams ("AA" or not .)
With respect to Gordon Bell...He was so revered by his opponents in HS, that he remains the only HS player that I can remember where HS fans from the other team would line up after the game to get an autograph. How cool must that have been? By the way what was the name of Northmont's coach you mentioned? First rate stand-up guy as I recall...
Ned Booher. Rough guy. Coached eventual Milton-Union and Piqua head coach, Steve Magoteaux in HS.
Milton's coach during that time was Wat Farrar. Kinda like Woody vs Bo during the 60s and 70s. MU beat that Jefferson team you talk about. They were the last loss for Jefferson for quite some time as I'm told. Went to HS at MU with the brother of two of the linemen from Jefferson's great teams.

I understand the politics of the AP voting, but since Harding went undefeated beating both Massillon and McKinley....it would have been difficult for Troy to overcome. I was at the last game at Niles when they/we won something like 28-0 and we knew we were AP state champs. I was eight years old and it was the start of a glorious run in Warren for Harding, Western Reserve and JFK.
I did not know about Troy and all the great players back then. It would have been a great match-up. Just one year too early.

Last edited:
I understand the politics of the AP voting, but since Harding went undefeated beating both Massillon and McKinley....it would have been difficult for Troy to overcome. I was at the last game at Niles when they/we won something like 28-0 and we knew we were AP state champs. I was ten years old and it was the start of a glorious run in Warren for Harding, Western Reserve and JFK.
I did not know about Troy and all the great players back then. It would have been a great match-up. Just one year too early.
Sounds like a great Harding team. Would likely have been a terrific matchup. Its just that back then, if you were a Southern Ohio boy and you wanted to prove yourself at the State level, Massillon still had that mystique and reputation. Before internet, we too, didn't really know that much about who was who up North...but we knew about Massillon.
We sure knew about Warren though after Western Reserve won the first title on the field...

Sounds like a great Harding team. Would likely have been a terrific matchup. Its just that back then, if you were a Southern Ohio boy and you wanted to prove yourself at the State level, Massillon still had that mystique and reputation. Before internet, we too, didn't really know that much about who was who up North...but we knew about Massillon.
We sure knew about Warren though after Western Reserve won the first title on the field...
I understand.
WWR was also runner-up to Mooney in ‘73 and Warren Harding won the title in ‘74 beating Moeller and UA.
Then Moeller went on its historic run.

Last edited:
Mahoning

1. 2009 Cardinal Mooney 15-0 D3 State Champs
2. 2010 Ursuline 15-0 D5 State Champs
3. 2007 Cardinal Mooney 14-1 D4 State Runners Up
4. 1999 Poland Seminary 15-0 D3 State Champs
5. 2005 Canfield 14-1 D2 State Runners Up

Those are just the ones that I’m familiar with. A lot of people would say 1973 Mooney is #1, but that was way before my time. The State Championship Mooney teams of the 80’s were also before my time.
2007 Mooney and 2005 Canfield would probably be 1 and 2 if they had been able to stay unbeaten and complete their undefeated seasons with state championships.
I would add Campbell Memorial's 1989 DIII State Finalist team on this list.

Stark County

*1940——Massillon Washington
*1936——Massillon Washington
*1950——Massillon Washington
*1953——Massillon Washington
*1997——Canton McKinley

*National Champions
As soon as I read that you didn’t place the 1920 or 1934 McKinley teams in the top 5, a biased opinion was not in the works.
1920 Bulldogs (8-0) not one point allowed in 8 games.
1934 Bulldogs (11-0) put the only points Massillon allowed all season in a spectacular 21-6 win between undefeated teams at Massillon Field…
My list
1940 Massillon
1934 McKinley
1950 Massillon
1997 McKinley
1920 McKinley or 1953 Massillon (pick who you root for as a tie breaker)

I think this would actually be a really interesting stat. Like you said, I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more counties without a title than those with one.
There are 40 of Ohio's 88 counties that have never won a state football playoff title. The totals by county since 1972:

32 (1): Hamilton
29 (1): Cuyahoga
25 (1): Mercer
17 (2): Summit, Franklin
14 (1): Mahoning
9 (2): Lake, Montgomery
8 (1): Licking
7 (3): Allen, Auglaize, Stark
6 (3): Darke, Lucas, Trumbull
5 (1): Jefferson
4 (2): Fairfield, Lorain
3 (5): Geauga, Hardin, Marion, Warren, Wayne
2 (12): Butler, Clinton, Fulton, Hancock, Henry, Huron, Lawrence, Madison, Sandusky, Scioto, Seneca, Wood
1 (13): Athens, Columbiana, Crawford, Defiance, Delaware, Erie, Miami, Perry, Portage, Putnam, Shelby, Van Wert, Wyandot
None (40): Adams, Ashland, Ashtabula, Belmont, Brown, Carroll, Champaign, Clark, Clermont, Coshocton, Fayette, Gallia, Greene, Guernsey, Harrison, Highland, Hocking, Holmes, Jackson, Knox, Logan, Medina, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Morrow, Muskingum, Noble, Ottawa, Paulding, Pickaway, Pike, Preble, Richland, Ross, Tuscarawas, Union, Vinton, Washington, Williams

There are 40 of Ohio's 88 counties that have never won a state football playoff title. The totals by county since 1972:

2 (12): Butler, Clinton, Fulton, Hancock, Henry, Huron, Lawrence, Madison, Sandusky, Scioto, Seneca, Wood
1 (13): Athens, Columbiana, Crawford, Defiance, Delaware, Erie, Miami, Perry, Portage, Putnam, Shelby, Van Wert, Wyandot
None (40): Adams, Ashland, Ashtabula, Belmont, Brown, Carroll, Champaign, Clark, Clermont, Coshocton, Fayette, Gallia, Greene, Guernsey, Harrison, Highland, Hocking, Holmes, Jackson, Knox, Logan, Medina, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Morrow, Muskingum, Noble, Ottawa, Paulding, Pickaway, Pike, Preble, Richland, Ross, Tuscarawas, Union, Vinton, Washington, Williams
Most Surprising counties without a title are
Clark, Greene, Medina, Muskingum, Ottawa, Richland, Tuscarawas

With only 6 schools with football (Ft Rec, CW, St Henry, Marion Local, Parkway, Celina), wtihg one (Ft Rec) just over 20 years old, 25 is not too shabby for the hillbillies of Mercer County,

Put my data in a pivot table to see where we differed and realized I just couldn't count, 48 with and 40 without are the same numbers I had. The only difference I have is I put Mogadore in Portage county (it is where the national database for educational statistics puts them) and by your numbers you have them in Summit.

Troy 1971 was #1. Other than a 22-13 win over Centerville the Trojans closest game was a 31-15 win over Stebbins. Outscored their opponents 406-54. m

This team was named the #1 team in 2001 by the Dayton Daily News in the last 50 years.

D-1 players were Gordon Bell/Michigan, Joe Allen/Florida, Mike Johnston/Eastern Kentucky, Randy Walker/Miami, OH, Al Mayer/Marshall, Elmo Boyd/Eastern Kentucky, Fred Bader/Marshall, Dave Starkey/Florida, John Mumma/Louisville, Bill Whidden/Bowling Greern, John Summers/Ohio U., Walter Meeker/Dartmouthb, Mike Hargis/Army, Mark Zimmerman/Dayton, and Kevin Grump/Indiaana.

Kevin Blizman was a 6'5" 235 LB. lineman who was 1st team AAA All-Ohio in 1973 and chose not to play college football. 1973 grads Dave Newnam and Daver Wise played football just their senior year and both signed with offers. Newnam went to Kentucky and Wise to Brown U. but were not part of the 1971 team. Newnam transferred to Wright State for baseball and became a D-2 All-American while at WSU. Later played with the Yankees farm system.

Other football players from that 1971 team were Tim Dickensheets/Wittenberg, Ralph Jonmes/Central State, Dan White/Capital, Tim Pierce/Salem WV., Denny Neves/Salem WV. Jeff Brown played D-1 baseball at Toledo and was in the minors with former Bulldog Terry Tyson. Rob Walker (Randys younger brother) alos played D-1 baseball.at Toledo. And Jim Ross who also played on that 1971 team did the pole vault at Ashland College.
My dad and grandpa tell me stories about that team, they were great. Wasn't insinuating Covington's teams were the best in the county, just putting forward our best teams ever. Has to be '71 Troy and '06 Piqua IMO.

Wood County is SO CLOSE to having 0.

Fostoria HS is literally across the street from Hancock County and most of the city is in Seneca.