Top 5 Teams in your County's History

Sidney is Shelby County. Totally different day and time. Milton was very Big back then and a larger school than it is now. MU was in the SWBL with Northmont, Trotwood, Butler, Tipp, etc. Troy was very good, but Milton would've given them a very hard game.
MU was the second-winningest program in the Dayton area for the decade of the 70s. Northmont was the winningest of the 70s. Milton and Northmont were bitter rivals back then.
No intent to knock Milton Union...I realize school size/composition has changed drastically since then. Northmont did have some great teams in the early 70's, no doubt.
I realize I'm still missing some very good teams. At my age now, I just can't remember em all. As a kid, Sidney & Jefferson stood out with those streaks. And Troy was just big, bad & ugly good.

Columbiana County has to be Lisbon David Anderson, State Championship D5 in 1995.
There are many other Columbiana County teams that were awesome, but didn't win a State.
I'll take a shot at it. I don't know too much about pre-1980 Columbiana County, so all my picks will be after 1980.

#1 1995 Lisbon David Anderson - Won D5 state title
#2 1994 Wellsville - D6 State runner-up
#3 1994 Columbiana, 1995 Crestview, 2003 Beaver Local - 94 Columbiana went 11-1 lost in D6 regional final. 95 Crestview went 9-1 only loss was to D5 champion Lisbon 24-18 in OT (only 4 teams per region then) 2003 Beaver 11-1 lost 28-21 to Steubenville in week 2 playoffs
#4 2011 Crestview 11-2 regional final loss
#5 so many options here it's hard to pick just 1. 2012, 2005, 2008 Crestview, 2002 East Palestine, Early 1980's Leetonia, 1990 Lisbon

I'll take a shot at it. I don't know too much about pre-1980 Columbiana County, so all my picks will be after 1980.

#1 1995 Lisbon David Anderson - Won D5 state title
#2 1994 Wellsville - D6 State runner-up
#3 1994 Columbiana, 1995 Crestview, 2003 Beaver Local - 94 Columbiana went 11-1 lost in D6 regional final. 95 Crestview went 9-1 only loss was to D5 champion Lisbon 24-18 in OT (only 4 teams per region then) 2003 Beaver 11-1 lost 28-21 to Steubenville in week 2 playoffs
#4 2011 Crestview 11-2 regional final loss
#5 so many options here it's hard to pick just 1. 2012, 2005, 2008 Crestview, 2002 East Palestine, Early 1980's Leetonia, 1990 Lisbon
You forgot 2015, 2017 East Palestine, Salem had some good teams in 2000 and 2017.

Montgomery County (regardless of Division)
1) - 1976 Centerville ( 10-0, 2nd state tot. computer points, 322 yards rushing allowed, best Elk team ever under Bob Gregg (according to him))
2) - 1983 Centerville ( 10-0, 6 shutouts, D1 QB, Better offensively than the '84 team)
3) - 2015 Wayne (According to Vamps, Wayne's best ever)
4) - 1999 Centerville ( 11-1, beat state runner-up Wayne 35-14 at Wayne)
5) - 1999 Wayne ( State Runner-up )

Others...( Again...Regardless of Division)
- 1984 Centerville (see above)
- 1991 Centerville (see above)
- 2010 Wayne (State Runner-up)
- 1971 Dayton Jefferson "AA" (10-0, 30+ point margin of victory)
- 2008 Kettering Alter ( State Champs D3)
- 1976 Dayton Meadowdale (10-0, Arguably best Dayton City League team ever)
- 2011...OK, Trotwood D2 ( State Champions)

Once again, most people aren't old enough to know that Centerville's best teams were Before the everybody gets in playoff era.
I would have thought one of Valley View’s three state championship teams (1994, 1996, 1997 all undefeated) would have at least gotten a mention.

I would have thought one of Valley View’s three state championship teams (1994, 1996, 1997 all undefeated) would have at least gotten a mention.
Agreed...Didn't get my map out and wasn't sure they were Montgomery Co. or not.

No intent to knock Milton Union...I realize school size/composition has changed drastically since then. Northmont did have some great teams in the early 70's, no doubt.
I realize I'm still missing some very good teams. At my age now, I just can't remember em all. As a kid, Sidney & Jefferson stood out with those streaks. And Troy was just big, bad & ugly good.
Until 1973. After that Troy went down hill. Million ended Jeffersons winning streak and Northmont was very good through the whole decade. They were undefeated several seasons in the 70s.
Sidney was good in the 60s. Jefferson lost their coach to Centerville.

Valley View deserves mention after 1993 season. That's when they really turned it on. They had two good seasons in the early 80s but they didn't play a very tough schedule. The SWBL had just lost Greenville, Milton and Tipp. Replaced with Madison, Shawnee and I believe Eaton. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I wanna put in another good word for Mogadore in Summit county. Three state champions ('79, '96 and '02) in the playoff era and another "mythical" small school title (but won ON THE FIELD) in '54. I know we're small, but if you judge on success, one of those teams can be in the conversation.

Miami County

1. Troy 1971 10-0 pre playoffs
2. Piqua 2006 D-2 state champs
3. Troy 1985 12-1 D-1 state semis
4. Covington 1974 10-0
5. West Milton 1969 10-0
Tough to decide between *1973 Covington (we went 9-1 in 1974) and our 1960 team. That 1960 season ended with giving Centerville an absolute beatdown of 62-8. Both incredible teams and the only state championships we have in football.

Tough to decide between *1973 Covington (we went 9-1 in 1974) and our 1960 team. That 1960 season ended with giving Centerville an absolute beatdown of 62-8. Both incredible teams and the only state championships we have in football.
Actually the 78 Milton team was lights out. 69 was great but 78 only allowed 21-points all season. The 60 Milton team was very, very good. Centerville wasnt the same school in 1960 that it is now. Covington and Milton-Union would be very close in terms of overall program success. Covington's State Title was class A and not won on the field, but still an accomplishment.
Milton's records vs schools much larger is a testament to the strength overall. I don't think 1971 Troy was better than 2006 Piqua. No way. State Title gets #1 in my book.
71 with a D1 back as well as the Ferguson years were great for Troy. But consistency belonged to Milton and Covington. Starting back in the 40s for both, they won at a great clip, better than any other Miami County teams. And to have the records Milton had vs. the likes of Northmont, Butler, Tipp, Trotwood, Greenville, Brookville, etc was even more impressive.
Milton's record during the 70s was second only to it's arch rival Northmont, in the Miami Valley. While Covington and Milton-Union were winning titles in the 70s, Troy and Piqua were barely winning games.

Last edited:
Interesting analysis...but I digress to a degree. I know a little about those 70's Troy teams and here's my take. You have to remember that '70-72 Troy had 10-14 D1 college players (an incredible number for a public HS) , depending on the season chosen. '71 being the best, I believe. IMHO they were dominate largely on great talent. Good coaching, no doubt, but not great, (no disrespect).
I agree that Covington & MU were more consistent winners year to year... In 1960, Centerville was still a small, undiscovered Dayton bedroom community. Sort of like a Waynesville, or a Bellbrook. Northmont (Englewood), like Centerville really began to thrive in the late 60's/early 70's as the Dayton economic picture really bloomed and those schools grew from medium-size numbers to really large.
Here's where we probably will disagree... Around 1969 or so, when the relatively young WOL league got rolling, it was a really tough league top to bottom. I remember Bob Gregg commenting when he came over from Jefferson to Centerville..."There are no National Trails in this league..." You had Troy in it's heyday. Two large and really competitive Kettering Fairmont schools. Xenia, at perhaps its athletic peak. A growing Beavercreek & Huber Heights Wayne, with Wayne just beginning to really mold a solid pool of talent. All of them big, robust middle class schools, in a prosperous, growth environment.
Why I think '71 Troy is the best ever from Miami County is because the schedule they played and dominated in '71 in the tough WOL was simply better overall than the schedule MU, Covington, Piqua and Northmont played, good as they all were. Accordingly, '71 Troy was better than '06 Piqua, but it'd be close.
MU only allowing 21 points during the '78 season is massively impressive. I always have the greatest respect for teams that play lights out defense.

Last edited:
Troy 1971 was #1. Other than a 22-13 win over Centerville the Trojans closest game was a 31-15 win over Stebbins. Outscored their opponents 406-54. m

This team was named the #1 team in 2001 by the Dayton Daily News in the last 50 years.

D-1 players were Gordon Bell/Michigan, Joe Allen/Florida, Mike Johnston/Eastern Kentucky, Randy Walker/Miami, OH, Al Mayer/Marshall, Elmo Boyd/Eastern Kentucky, Fred Bader/Marshall, Dave Starkey/Florida, John Mumma/Louisville, Bill Whidden/Bowling Greern, John Summers/Ohio U., Walter Meeker/Dartmouthb, Mike Hargis/Army, Mark Zimmerman/Dayton, and Kevin Grump/Indiaana.

Kevin Blizman was a 6'5" 235 LB. lineman who was 1st team AAA All-Ohio in 1973 and chose not to play college football. 1973 grads Dave Newnam and Daver Wise played football just their senior year and both signed with offers. Newnam went to Kentucky and Wise to Brown U. but were not part of the 1971 team. Newnam transferred to Wright State for baseball and became a D-2 All-American while at WSU. Later played with the Yankees farm system.

Other football players from that 1971 team were Tim Dickensheets/Wittenberg, Ralph Jonmes/Central State, Dan White/Capital, Tim Pierce/Salem WV., Denny Neves/Salem WV. Jeff Brown played D-1 baseball at Toledo and was in the minors with former Bulldog Terry Tyson. Rob Walker (Randys younger brother) alos played D-1 baseball.at Toledo. And Jim Ross who also played on that 1971 team did the pole vault at Ashland College.

No Trotwood?
Agreed. 2017 Trotwood went 15-0 and beat D1 state champ Pick Central by double digits. That was probably the most explosive and athletic team I’ve seen in person. The only argument is that they have some close games that shouldn’t have been close? Towards the end of the season Hargrove (3x Ohio player of the year) got hurt and you could tell the offense struggled without him.

2011 Trotwood should be up there too.

Interesting analysis...but I digress to a degree. I know a little about those 70's Troy teams and here's my take. You have to remember that '70-72 Troy had 10-14 D1 college players (an incredible number for a public HS) , depending on the season chosen. '71 being the best, I believe. IMHO they were dominate largely on great talent. Good coaching, no doubt, but not great, (no disrespect).
I agree that Covington & MU were more consistent winners year to year... In 1960, Centerville was still a small, undiscovered Dayton bedroom community. Sort of like a Waynesville, or a Bellbrook. Northmont (Englewood), like Centerville really began to thrive in the late 60's/early 70's as the Dayton economic picture really bloomed and those schools grew from medium-size numbers to really large.
Here's where we probably will disagree... Around 1969 or so, when the relatively young WOL league got rolling, it was a really tough league top to bottom. I remember Bob Gregg commenting when he came over from Jefferson to Centerville..."There are no National Trails in this league..." You had Troy in it's heyday. Two large and really competitive Kettering Fairmont schools. Xenia, at perhaps its athletic peak. A growing Beavercreek & Huber Heights Wayne, with Wayne just beginning to really mold a solid pool of talent. All of them big, robust middle class schools, in a prosperous, growth environment.
Why I think '71 Troy is the best ever from Miami County is because the schedule they played and dominated in '71 in the tough WOL was simply better overall than the schedule MU, Covington, Piqua and Northmont played, good as they all were. Accordingly, '71 Troy was better than '06 Piqua, but it'd be close.
MU only allowing 21 points during the '78 season is massively impressive. I always have the greatest respect for teams that play lights out defense.
Without doing into detail, Milton also had some impressive athletes in the 70s. 1 team in '71 and then really nothing else. You can't degrade the level of competition in the SWBL from then based on what they are now. Northmont was graduating over 400 kids per class in the early 70s, was the fastest growing community in Montgomery County at one point. Their coach was the dean of coaches in the Miami Valley back then as well. Milton also played the likes of Jefferson led by Bob Gregg, Wapakoneta, Wilbur Wright, etc in the 70s on top of the rough SWBL schedule they dominated. Milton routinely faced off with Class AAA schools being a Class AA.
There is this belief amongst some Troy faithful that they had the best program in all of Miami County in the 70s. Not so.
MU won or shared 7 out of 10 League titles, finished undefeated 2 times and sent countless athletes to colleges. Remember, Milton also has an Olympic Gold Medalist, Three members of the college football hall of fame, a current and two former members of the NFL. Not bad for a little PO dunk school.
I'll stand up for Milton-Union and it's accomplishments in that era. My Dad was a Trojan and he knew how good Milton was. My mom worked with Gordon's Bell's dad at the grocery that stood at Elm and Main. Gordon was a decent dude. Was a helluva athlete. Top respect for Troy and Covington from this Bulldog.

:)...Thinking back, I do acknowledge that MU and the SWBL were better than I previously thought. Thanks for the info.
I also have come to learn over the years that there is d1 talent and there is D1 talent. They are not all equal as we know.
Also, things we remember from our youth often seem bigger-than-life, while after years of perspective they begin to appear less sensational (Secretariat not withstanding).
In support of your '71 Troy analysis, I will say this. Though it was only one game (and maybe Troy was a little off that night), Centerville's best 2 or 3 teams from the mid 70's/early 80's would have beaten the '71 Elk team by 3 touchdowns. Of this, I am certain. '71 Troy won by 9.
I can also tell you that Bob Gregg once hinted that prior to the Centerville run ( '75 on ) , that no Elk team prior to that era would have beaten his best Jefferson teams ("AA" or not .)
With respect to Gordon Bell...He was so revered by his opponents in HS, that he remains the only HS player that I can remember where HS fans from the other team would line up after the game to get an autograph. How cool must that have been? By the way what was the name of Northmont's coach you mentioned? First rate stand-up guy as I recall...

Last edited:
:)...Thinking back, I do acknowledge that MU and the SWBL were better than I previously thought. Thanks for the info.
I also have come to learn over the years that there is d1 talent and there is D1 talent. They are not all equal as we know.
Also, things we remember from our youth often seem bigger-than-life, while after years of perspective they begin to appear less sensational (Secretariat not withstanding).
In support of your '71 Troy analysis, I will say this. Though it was only one game (and maybe Troy was a little off that night), Centerville's best 2 or 3 teams from the mid 70's/early 80's would have beaten the '71 Elk team by 3 touchdowns. Of this, I am certain. '71 Troy won by 9.
I can also tell you that Bob Gregg once hinted that prior to the Centerville run ( '75 on ) , that no Elk team prior to that era would have beaten his best Jefferson teams ("AA" or not .)
With respect to Gordon Bell...He was so revered by his opponents in HS, that he remains the only HS player that I can remember where HS fans from the other team would line up after the game to get an autograph. How cool must that have been? By the way what was the name of Northmont's coach you mentioned? First rate stand-up guy as I recall...
Bell was one of two players from that Troy1971 team that played in the NFL. Played for the NY Giants and the football St. Louis Cardinals. Ither was Elmo Boyd who played for SF Niners and Green Bay. Trojans also went 10-0 in 1970, 9-1 in 1972 and 8-1-1 74 and 7-3 in 1976along with an 9-1 team in 1977. Their only loss was to Centerville 33-26 . And Troy lost their 26 game winning streak (1972) losing at Xenia 13-12 in the rain to finish at 9-1.

Last edited:
Bell was one of two players from that Troy1971 team that played in the NFL. Played for the NY Giants and the football St. Louis Cardinals. Ither was Elmo Boyd who played for SF Niners and Green Bay. Trojans also went 10-0 in 1970, 9-1 in 1972 and 8-1-1 74 and 7-3 in 1976along with an 9-1 team in 1977. Their only loss was to Centerville 33-26 . And Troy lost their 26 game winning streak (1972) losing at Xenia 13-12 in the rain to finish at 9-1.
Troy was the team that set the bar for Centerville , no question about it. In fairness to the '71 Trojans, the Elks that year had 1 NFL player (Dave Preston) and I believe 3 other future D1 guys. They were definitely no pushover.

Last edited: