2021 Southwestern Buckeye League

Status
Not open for further replies.
The West is wide open, I’m friends with a teacher at VV who says the kids aren’t buying into this new staff at all, the entire team stood up for Coach Skidmoore and the old staff only to have the school board turn their backs on them.. the kids feel disrespected and they are angry about the whole situation. It’s a mess here in Germantown. On top of that drama they’re breaking in a brand new system and if you don’t have kids coming to voluntary workouts to learn it? Doesn’t leave much time. I’m expecting a down few years at VV.
This has gotten to the extent that filling the staff has become a challenge as well. I believe they were at only 4 assistant coaches for quite some time, not sure where they stand currently.

VV's schedule and division alignment benefits them. I'll agree, those three OOC games will tell a lot. Typically the Shawnee scrimmages are very competitive. The Ross game is one early on that I feel is tough to gauge. They had a great team last year but also a significant senior class. VV has also had a good amount of success against MU. If VV comes out of the first three games at 2-1 or better, they'll be in good shape. If you see them at 1-2 or 0-3, then it'll be a challenging season.

Monroe seems to be developing into something of a soccer school. They have been very good in both boys and girls soccer the last several years and that along with having 3 head coaches in the last 5 years is having a negative impact on the football program. They have some talent coming through in the younger ages but there is rumor of some of the better players transferring so I'm not sure it will show on the field. I like what Mullins is doing but I wouldn't be surprised if he has some success to see him move on to a bigger stage.
Agreed. The demographics in Monroe have been really shifting over the past 5-10 years, to the point where there is "Old Monroe" (blue collar workers, farmers, natives of the area, mainly on the city's east side, and "new Monroe" (white collar professionals moving from other areas- a lot from the Cincinnati area- mainly in the new developments on the west side). Monroe has had good years in football here and there, especially when Krause was the coach, but they don't have tradition to really back them up, and since they were in the Middletown district for so long, they were little brother. I know the pee-wee teams struggled a long time for players, and they had an odd sign up process for pee-wee football where the kids had to sign up very early, like in February. With so many kids moving into the district, many missed those dates.

Soccer is really the sport in town now, and those squads are usually packed. The success of the programs there is going to continue to draw talent to them, and away from the football field, I really don't see it becoming a regularly relevant sport in the community. Monroe has also seen an influx of people that in the past would have moved into Liberty Twp. or West Chester in the Lakota district, but realized they can get much more house for their money 5-10 minutes up the road, so are moving there as well. Definitely more the soccer crowd, and with a lot more ethnic diversity in the Asian and South Asian populations, typically not represented in football.

I am not sure how strong the private school draw has been in the past, but I do know that there are some kids headed to Moeller, X, and Fenwick, since the town is not as insular and isolated as it was 10-15 years ago.

The West is wide open, I’m friends with a teacher at VV who says the kids aren’t buying into this new staff at all, the entire team stood up for Coach Skidmoore and the old staff only to have the school board turn their backs on them.. the kids feel disrespected and they are angry about the whole situation. It’s a mess here in Germantown. On top of that drama they’re breaking in a brand new system and if you don’t have kids coming to voluntary workouts to learn it? Doesn’t leave much time. I’m expecting a down few years at VV.
Exactly what I've been hearing about VV as well. Low numbers, and a big disconnect between players & coaches. The same thing is going on in Franklin. Everyone there thought for sure they were going to hire Chad Murphy, but they snubbed him. This should be a really fun year, as there are so many unknowns, it'll be exciting watching it unfold in the SWBL!

Exactly what I've been hearing about VV as well. Low numbers, and a big disconnect between players & coaches. The same thing is going on in Franklin. Everyone there thought for sure they were going to hire Chad Murphy, but they snubbed him. This should be a really fun year, as there are so many unknowns, it'll be exciting watching it unfold in the SWBL!
In terms of buy in from players, and not that I would wish this on programs, but if there is disconnect from the “top” programs in the league it does certainly open it up a bit in terms of competition.

Did I read earlier in the thread that it seems to be going well in Madison? Which surprises me from what I always hear on here.

The other team with a new coach, Waynesville, seems to be operating smoothly so far. Can’t speak on x and o buy in, but in terms of off-season lifting, the players there seem to be enjoying the new system put in place. Good numbers so far.

Valley View will be breaking in a new QB Caden Henson… he’s only a Sophomore but in terms of pure talent, he’s probably the most gifted to walk through VV in a long time, from what I’ve gathered he’s bought in to the new coaching staff and is trying to get the team to rally around them.. HOWEVER, I guess some players (not mentioning names on here) are thinking of flat out not playing at all this season.

Valley View will be breaking in a new QB Caden Henson… he’s only a Sophomore but in terms of pure talent, he’s probably the most gifted to walk through VV in a long time, from what I’ve gathered he’s bought in to the new coaching staff and is trying to get the team to rally around them.. HOWEVER, I guess some players (not mentioning names on here) are thinking of flat out not playing at all this season.
I hope they change their mind or have an adult with half a brain in their life that can help them change their mind. At the end of the day, the new coach had nothing to do with what happened to the old staff. Staging some kind of "rebellion" against the district is not going to change what has already occurred. In fact the district leaders have already shown they don't really care that much about how these players feel. Those players may not know it now, but the decision not to play (if that's what they decide) will come back to haunt them later in life. 99% of kids get a very small window of time to play the children's games they love. I hope they don't sacrifice that time over the decisions made by adults who already had their time.

I don’t disagree with you fellas, just letting you know what’s going on over here
That's a shame. I let my high school football coach talk me into quitting baseball in high school and focusing on football. I was a much better football player, but I always loved baseball and still do. Almost 30 years later, quitting baseball is one of my biggest regrets of my time in high school. I hope these boys you're talking about make the right choice or I would bet they'll have similar regrets when they're my age.

It was very clear back in March how much the kids stood behind Skidmore, Stidham, and Keating ... frankly, it was very clear how much the adults stood behind them as well. But the change of direction was not the new coach's fault. I truly hope the kids come out, play, and make great memories. While there is work for the adults to do in order to address the problems with the administration and the school board (that go far beyond football), that's for us to worry about and deal with through proper channels. Any young men who choose not to play because of the coaching changes will regret it for the rest of their lives.
well put. it absolutely sucks what happened and it never should happen. with that being said, it has nothing to do with the kids and any kid who loves the sport and takes pride in the school will at least give the new coach a chance

Franklin kids seem to like the new coach and staff they have had 50-60 kids at weights and workouts ,seems like a good sign to me.

In terms of buy in from players, and not that I would wish this on programs, but if there is disconnect from the “top” programs in the league it does certainly open it up a bit in terms of competition.

Did I read earlier in the thread that it seems to be going well in Madison? Which surprises me from what I always hear on here.

The other team with a new coach, Waynesville, seems to be operating smoothly so far. Can’t speak on x and o buy in, but in terms of off-season lifting, the players there seem to be enjoying the new system put in place. Good numbers so far.
Yes the Waynesville players seem very enthusiastic with respect to the new staff. I have heard of rumblings in the community regarding the new alignment. Fans and administrators are not happy.

Yes the Waynesville players seem very enthusiastic with respect to the new staff. I have heard of rumblings in the community regarding the new alignment. Fans and administrators are not happy.
Yeah, not happy at all. I know they decided to go East/West with the new divisions, but that does not make sense with regard to size and competition. In the East, all they’ve done is essentially give Valley View a league title every year. Madison, Carlisle and Waynesville should have stayed together. Bellbrook, Franklin and Valley View stay together. Everyone else (not that they aren’t important) can be divided up evenly.

Yeah, not happy at all. I know they decided to go East/West with the new divisions, but that does not make sense with regard to size and competition. In the East, all they’ve done is essentially give Valley View a league title every year. Madison, Carlisle and Waynesville should have stayed together. Bellbrook, Franklin and Valley View stay together. Everyone else (not that they aren’t important) can be divided up evenly.
Dudebro, agreed. I am not sure how this will play out. The talent takes a bit of a dip and the competition skyrockets. I look for them to make the jump if this isn't fixed, but where do they go? I think maybe the Three Rivers with Milton and Northridge? Or else form a league with Clinton-Massie, East Clinton, and Wilmington?? I don't know...

Dudebro, agreed. I am not sure how this will play out. The talent takes a bit of a dip and the competition skyrockets. I look for them to make the jump if this isn't fixed, but where do they go? I think maybe the Three Rivers with Milton and Northridge? Or else form a league with Clinton-Massie, East Clinton, and Wilmington?? I don't know...
I guess at this point you hold tight for a couple years and see what things look like. I really think there could be more changes coming for the SWBL in the near future and maybe that could lead to a more desirable situation for Waynesville. If not, I wouldn't blame them for moving on to something else.

So Waynesville is upset because they can’t be the biggest school in a division anymore, but doesn’t want to be in the same side as VV who is about the same size, but they are going to make a new conference with Massie who they won’t even schedule right now or join Milton’s conference which was made to play teams closer to each other.

Last edited:
So Waynesville’s is upset because they aren’t the biggest school in a division anymore, but doesn’t want to be in the same side as VV who is about the same size, but they are going to make a new conference with Massie who they won’t even schedule right now or join Milton’s conference which was made to play teams closer to each other.
it’s just not a good situation for Waynesville in the SWBL right now. they won’t join Miltons league.

now, they absolutely might form a league with Massie. good amount of schools in the area of similar size. natural rivalries as well. also i don’t think Massie exactly loves being in the SBAAC. Massie posters on here think it’s a terrible league for them

How do think the new alignment will work out? I don't see Waynesville going along with this for too long.
I often throw this out there with Waynesville as well. This doesn't just affect their football program. They've been one of the best girl's soccer teams in the area the past few years and the boys team has a lot of success as well. Now they'll be matching up with Bellbrook and Monroe which is a much bigger challenge in those sports.

I don't love the divisions period. I think you just stick with the 10 teams and allow the scheduling to mimic the MAC where you drop a league team each year to pick up an extra OOC game. I think that also would alleviate the issue in football, and other sports, of one team being the largest in a division and then the other being the smallest (Valley View/Waynesville).

I often throw this out there with Waynesville as well. This doesn't just affect their football program. They've been one of the best girl's soccer teams in the area the past few years and the boys team has a lot of success as well. Now they'll be matching up with Bellbrook and Monroe which is a much bigger challenge in those sports.

I don't love the divisions period. I think you just stick with the 10 teams and allow the scheduling to mimic the MAC where you drop a league team each year to pick up an extra OOC game. I think that also would alleviate the issue in football, and other sports, of one team being the largest in a division and then the other being the smallest (Valley View/Waynesville).
I believe I read that football is the only sport split into the divisions. All other sports will play a 10 team league schedule. Not sure why they needed the divisions for football. Now that 16 teams will be making the playoffs, I won't be surprised to see that change next year. The GMC also makes a 10 team league work doing the same thing the MAC does, having a bye against one team each year. They also allow for rivalry games, like Lakota East will never have a bye with Lakota West.

How bad can you really feel for Waynesville. Look at Carlisle where a successful season will be not coming in last place, and Madison will be hey at least we ain’t Carlisle.

I believe I read that football is the only sport split into the divisions. All other sports will play a 10 team league schedule. Not sure why they needed the divisions for football. Now that 16 teams will be making the playoffs, I won't be surprised to see that change next year. The GMC also makes a 10 team league work doing the same thing the MAC does, having a bye against one team each year. They also allow for rivalry games, like Lakota East will never have a bye with Lakota West.
You know what, you're right on the other sports. The interesting part is that for soccer, they'll still have to now play Monroe and Bellbrook. But there's no way around that then.

I agree, with 10 teams in the league and 16 teams per region, I would have one division like the SWBL used to be. Then maybe look at some of the creative scheduling that you can do similar to the MAC. It would allow an extra OOC game and allow a team such as Carlisle to avoid a game with Bellbrook, etc.

You know what, you're right on the other sports. The interesting part is that for soccer, they'll still have to now play Monroe and Bellbrook. But there's no way around that then.

I agree, with 10 teams in the league and 16 teams per region, I would have one division like the SWBL used to be. Then maybe look at some of the creative scheduling that you can do similar to the MAC. It would allow an extra OOC game and allow a team such as Carlisle to avoid a game with Bellbrook, etc.
Don’t you feel like it would actually be better to have a spilt in basketball than in football. I feel like the lower teams would be better off besides Waynesville. Maybe not but basketball is going to Franklin maybe Oakwood puts up a fight this year but pretty much Franklin and everyone else after that. So glad Shawnee got ahead of the curve this league is headed towards a mess.

Couple of things here... Firstly, Waynesville wasn't the largest in the Buckeye, that belonged to Northridge. Secondly, there is no way the TRC invites Waynesville. Waynesville and Madison and the travel were some of the main reasons why Northridge and Milton bolted.
Waynesville will fit well in another league closer to Cincinnati.
Brookville would be a great addition to the TRC.
Best of luck.

So Waynesville is upset because they can’t be the biggest school in a division anymore, but doesn’t want to be in the same side as VV who is about the same size, but they are going to make a new conference with Massie who they won’t even schedule right now or join Milton’s conference which was made to play teams closer to each other.
Big Arrow I am not sure where you get your information. Preble Shawnee, Madison, and Carlisle are relatively the same size. Waynesville had one big class that pushed them over. Next year will be different. As for playing Clinton-Massie, again you are incorrect. That was a previous athletic director who is no longer there. There were other issues involved that had nothing to with competition. Check your facts.

it’s just not a good situation for Waynesville in the SWBL right now. they won’t join Miltons league.

now, they absolutely might form a league with Massie. good amount of schools in the area of similar size. natural rivalries as well. also i don’t think Massie exactly loves being in the SBAAC. Massie posters on here think it’s a terrible league for them
Agreed. I wish we would play Massie, Wilmington, East Clinton, and Blanchester. All fairly similar sized schools with the exception of Wilmington.

Status
Not open for further replies.