Fox News: Minorities and the poor do not deserve $15/hr.

Some are. Some are not. As in almost every profession, sometimes you meet dip$4itz who lack the intellect and common sense to even be a burger flipper, let alone what they are. I’ve met many a teacher who fall into that category. You can get all the degrees you want, but there are a lot of people educated beyond their intelligence in this nation…primarily due to lowering of standards and the decades old push toward sending everyone to college.
That is true of every profession. Based on this thread so far, maybe I”m wrong. Seems like there must be a glut of teachers because it is such a great job. You get over paid and don’t work very hard. Sounds like a dream for a lot of people.

And when no one is willing to apply for work, then what? In my line of work I interact with many different types of businesses...I see hospitals that have closed their cafeterias due to lack of staffing, not lack of revenue. And that is just one of many examples i could give.
How do you explain that?
The hospital is not in the cafeteria business. The closure of the cafeteria does not threaten the hospitals business model. Your example only serves to prove my point. The cafeteria will reopen at some point. It is a temporary challenge. What threatens the hospitals existence is having no patients. There is no recovery if you have no customers.

The hospital is not in the cafeteria business. The closure of the cafeteria does not threaten the hospitals business model. Your example only serves to prove my point. The cafeteria will reopen at some point. It is a temporary challenge. What threatens the hospitals existence is having no patients. There is no recovery if you have no customers.
Thank you for proving my point. The hospital isnt having revenue issues but still cannot staff. Thanks again..

I'm sure there are shortages in some places, (just like any other profession) so you then seemingly suggesting that there are shortages everywhere is nonsensical. I can assure you that in my wife's district, one of the largest in the state of Ohio, there is great competition for any openings, just like most other districts in the state. So it would seem those districts pay quite well, and by any measure they are paid way more than normal salaried people, this is not really debatable. But what is worse is that the bad, get paid the same as a the good. Is it the same way where you work? People who do the same job you do, but are terrible at it, get paid the same as you? And are pretty much guaranteed to not get fired?
That qualifies as a double down. But out of respect I will take a stab at your questions and my simple answer is that bad teachers should not have their jobs if they can’t improve. That is the fault of the unions protecting them. 90% of jobs out there you get canned if you can’t produce. But you, just like most of the people on here and in the general public, paint a picture of teachers based on the 5% or less that do an awful job (just like with law enforcement). But what are new teachers supposed to do not join their union? Go work at a private school with lower pay and worse benefits? 95% of teachers get into that career with the best of intentions (just like cops) and yet all they hear is constant negativity about their job. No wonder the number of students pursuing education as a career has dropped by a third over the last decade and now cops are leaving the workforce in droves. To my original post it says a lot about where we are as a society.

As the husband of a public school teacher, I can tell you that that if you were to account for the total hours spent dedicated to work beyond her contractual obligation to be at the building, it stretches significantly beyond 180 days. I couldn't begin to give you an estimate of how much more, but grading, lesson planning, prepping materials, conferences, it adds up.

I've spent plenty of Saturdays with her at the building making copies, laminating, hole punching, etc to make sure we can get on with our weekend at a reasonable time.
I worked as a teacher/coach for six years. With coaching, I put in A LOT of hours outside of my contracted school day. I also volunteered to chaperone prom, homecoming, etc... I was usually one of the first in and last to go. I now work in heavy industry as a plant manager and I work A LOT more than I ever did as a teacher/coach. Had I not been a coach, the comparison wouldn't even be worth talking about. I have a ton of respect of teachers and what they do, but as far as time commitment goes, they have a pretty good gig. The mental and emotional commitment teachers make is another story.

You guys send pieces of trash to jobs and collect money on them.
Sometimes. It depends. I have two sides to the business. One is an executive recruiting function where we recruit people into executive level positions typically earning 200-400K annually. The other side is a staffing function for stuff like help desk and IT admin. The latter is the trash if you want to call them that. BTW....our margins are constrained right now on the staffing side because we are having to pay more under existing contracts. Two things will happen, I will renegotiate contracts as I am able to reflect the market and the massive jump in demand will moderate. Things are acute right now because the economy is going 0-60 faster than a Tesla. It’s almost unprecedented. I expect this is a 2-4 quarter challenge.

Per my previous point. Last year, my business was down well over 50%. This year it is back to pre-pandemic levels and it all happened in the last 6 months. I like today’s problem much better than last years problem. Any intelligent business owner would say the same thing but Yappi is not the place to go to find those.

For all the people who think Mara Gay is racist for what she said on MSNBC the other day, would you say the same towards Arthur Laffer?
What he said is that some in the groups that are brand new to the labor force, or are historically not drawn to the labor force to the same degree, they really aren’t worth a $15 minimum wage and that they often price themselves beyond the skills they offer, which can lead to a lifetime of becoming disgruntled and not participating in the workforce. Part of the segment mentioned McDonalds is experimenting with AI at some pilot stores and Laffer had empathy for those at the bottom who will someday be displaced, but life moves on.

I worked as a teacher/coach for six years. With coaching, I put in A LOT of hours outside of my contracted school day. I also volunteered to chaperone prom, homecoming, etc... I was usually one of the first in and last to go. I now work in heavy industry as a plant manager and I work A LOT more than I ever did as a teacher/coach. Had I not been a coach, the comparison wouldn't even be worth talking about. I have a ton of respect of teachers and what they do, but as far as time commitment goes, they have a pretty good gig. The mental and emotional commitment teachers make is another story.
Then tell that story. Dont say you have a ton of respect while at the same time try to diminish what teachers do with statements like “I work A LOT more than I ever did as a teacher” and “Had I not been a coach, the comparison wouldn’t even be worth talking about”

If you have experienced it and only did it for 6 years tell us why you switched careers.

Thank you for proving my point. The hospital isnt having revenue issues but still cannot staff. Thanks again..
???? Duh. That is what I have been saying. Lack of revenue closes business. Cost increases and labor challenges can temporarily change the model. Did you forget what you were arguing? As a reminder, you were arguing that the increase in wages or lack of people was going to force mass closure of small business and destroy the economy. Would you like me to recite your exact posts? Are you drunk this morning?

Out of curiosity, and I'm asking honestly, who deserves $15 an hour, in your opinion?
In my opinion, in Ohio, $15 an hour is about where an entry level laborer should be at most industrial plants. Throughout my life, I have had just about every job imaginable, including my first job at Wendy's flipping burgers in the early 90's. I can't imagine an entry level fast food employee being worth $15 an hour, considering a good amount of those employees have little to no work experience overall. There might be positions within the fast food industry that are fully deserving of $15 an hour, but IMO, entry level employees are not.

The printing and borrowing money was exploding under Trump. My bet is that by the end of the Biden admin the annual deficit will be lower than Trumps average.
If the Republicans take back the House in 22 maybe. I guess you've missed all the wild spending the left has proposed.

???? Duh. That is what I have been saying. Lack of revenue closes business. Cost increases and labor challenges can temporarily change the model. Did you forget what you were arguing? As a reminder, you were arguing that the increase in wages or lack of people was going to force mass closure of small business and destroy the economy. Would you like me to recite your exact posts? Are you drunk this morning?
You just said that lack of revenue closes businesses...so why cant they staff when revenue is strong. thanks again..

Did not appear on his resume. His experience as a student assistant and intern got him the GA job. At this point, he has more than a full time job (60 hours a week) and may grub hub it for a few extra bucks when he has time unless he finds something better. I’m sure he will appreciate your interest.
You know who wants a $15 minimum wage? Big business. They can either afford it or will use it as an excuse to speed up the elimination of human work. And they’ll smile as they watch smaller competition struggle to get by.

Economically irresponsible and illiterate policies like this kill small businesses, which make up ~50% of employers
Nailed it!

If the Republicans take back the House in 22 maybe. I guess you've missed all the wild spending the left has proposed.
I'm talking about all the outrageous spending that has already occurred over the last 4 years. BTW....spending is only a problem if you don't have the revenue. Trump's problem is that he spent at insane levels and cut revenue at the same time. That is how he doubled the annual debt from Obama's last year in office.

Sometimes. It depends. I have two sides to the business. One is an executive recruiting function where we recruit people into executive level positions typically earning 200-400K annually. The other side is a staffing function for stuff like help desk and IT admin. The latter is the trash if you want to call them that. BTW....our margins are constrained right now on the staffing side because we are having to pay more under existing contracts. Two things will happen, I will renegotiate contracts as I am able to reflect the market and the massive jump in demand will moderate. Things are acute right now because the economy is going 0-60 faster than a Tesla. It’s almost unprecedented. I expect this is a 2-4 quarter challenge.

Per my previous point. Last year, my business was down well over 50%. This year it is back to pre-pandemic levels and it all happened in the last 6 months. I like today’s problem much better than last years problem. Any intelligent business owner would say the same thing but Yappi is not the place to go to find those.
how were things BEFORE the China virus hit...

You know what works?? If you let the business owner decide what to pay. If someone want's to pay their new employee's $5.00 an hour, they should be able to do that. Now good luck with finding anyone to work for that rate, but it generally works itself out. If you are with an employer more than 6 months and you're still at minimum wage, you are an average to below average employee. Not every job in a company is worth $15 per hour, why force the business to overpay for labor?

You just said that lack of revenue closes businesses...so why cant they staff when revenue is strong. thanks again..
Yes. And the reason the hospital is not closed is because they have revenue. Businesses can't staff right now BECAUSE revenue is strong. Their staffing levels were based on previous revenue models. The revenue is growing at a faster rate than they can operationally handle. Do you remember last year when it all came to a halt almost overnight? It is now returning almost overnight. A business can fire much faster than it can hire especially in these conditions. This is a TEMPORARY business condition brought on by an whiplashing economic environment over the last 18 months. It will moderate tremendously over the next year.

You have been rolling over with your last couple of posts. It is time to just stick a fork in yourself before you embarrass yourself any more.

You know what works?? If you let the business owner decide what to pay. If someone want's to pay their new employee's $5.00 an hour, they should be able to do that. Now good luck with finding anyone to work for that rate, but it generally works itself out. If you are with an employer more than 6 months and you're still at minimum wage, you are an average to below average employee. Not every job in a company is worth $15 per hour, why force the business to overpay for labor?
Federal minimum wage is like 8 bucks. Nobody is forcing anybody to pay $15.

I’m reciting inflation statistics that you believe in
I believe all of them. You on the other hand are a total fraud who concocts a narrative and rejects any data that refutes it, but will then immediately turn around an cite the very same data if you think it will support your argument. You are a total hack.

I believe all of them. You on the other hand are a total fraud who concocts a narrative and rejects any data that refutes it, but will then immediately turn around an cite the very same data if you think it will support your argument. You are a total hack.
I accept all raw data. I have my own algorithm that interprets that data. I do not accept government algorithms.

I accept all raw data. I have my own algorithm that interprets that data. I do not accept government algorithms.
Post your algorithm. Proprietary algorithm's are untrusted. Put it in the public domain where it can be evaluated and scrutinized for efficacy. In the meantime, I will maintain my position that you are a fraudulent hack.

Wages are being driven by idiotic government policy in paying more to be unemployed than employed which is causing a tight labor market. It's not because of the guy who delivers Grubhub.

Thank you; good to see someone gets it.

Post your algorithm. Proprietary algorithm's are untrusted. Put it in the public domain where it can be evaluated and scrutinized for efficacy. In the meantime, I will maintain my position that you are a fraudulent hack.
E147A80D-6BD6-4260-8116-BB9D2176ECAD.jpeg

Thank you; good to see someone gets it.
Pretty wrong. Enhanced unemployment and stimulus are playing a role, but there are a multitude of factors that are impacting the labor gap. I deal with this everyday in my business and they include in no order:

1. Woman with kids re-entering at a slower pace because of child care. We are in the summer months and many available jobs do not justify the expense of child care. This will moderate when kids go back to school.
2. The gig economy. People electing to opt for more flexible jobs or ways of earning money like Grub Hub but more broadly an entire ecosystem if internet based businesses.
3. Location. Location. Location. The pandemic has changed peoples views about going into offices or facilities every day. Increasingly, people are asking if the job requires them to be in the office everyday. It is becoming a bigger and bigger deal killer because there are lot's of alternatives right now. That could change in the future but I don't think it will ever return to pre pandemic.

All of these things have significant impact on labor availability right now, especially for low paying traditional retail type jobs. To blame it on just unemployment benefits is just plain ignorant.

You must be proud.... Spending money on college so he can deliver food.
I know, right? It must be so embarrassing to lower yourself to take a delivery job. Could you imagine someone having, or actually choosing to take a second job to make ends meet or earn some extra cash? And a menial food service job with the rest of the lower-class plebeians no less? Gross.

And again, when revenue is not the issue, why cant they staff?