The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Finally scored to make it 2-2 in the 6th. Castillo walks 2, Garrett walks 2, and of course all he!! breaks loose.

Offense has been inconsistent, but pitching is the problem. 28th in MLB in ERA (4.99, ahead of only Baltimore and the Angels), 2nd most walks allowed. Gutierrez at least threw strikes (67 pitches, 47 strikes). he should get another turn. If the rest of the knuckleheads can't throw strikes, (or are afraid to, like Hoffman) maybe it is time to try the kids.
For once you make sense. bring up Santillan, Lodolo and Greene, along with Guiterez. Get rid of Garrett and bench Suarez immediately

For once you make sense. bring up Santillan, Lodolo and Greene, along with Guiterez. Get rid of Garrett and bench Suarez immediately
No, you are still wrong. Santillan maybe, Lodolo and Greene not until Sept. Need to let them develop, and save the team-control contract year for their prime, as I have explained to you repeatedly.

And you don't bench Suarez. I realize dopes only look at batting average, but he is on pace for 36 HR. And his last 5 games he is 6 for 21, with 3 HR.

No, you are still wrong. Santillan maybe, Lodolo and Greene not until Sept. Need to let them develop, and save the team-control contract year for their prime, as I have explained to you repeatedly.

And you don't bench Suarez. I realize dopes only look at batting average, but he is on pace for 36 HR. And his last 5 games he is 6 for 21, with 3 HR.
? can you hit 36 dingers hitting .150?

There is no way Lodolo and Greene are coming up anytime soon. Suarez isn't getting benched. I'd pitch Garrett in longer outings in the middle innings, non leverage preferred. For instance, in yesterday's 11-1 win, I'd had tried to get him in for a couple of innings. He pitches to 3 or less batters nearly every outing. No way he gets any kind of rhythm. I'd also try to get him balanced better. he's falling way off to the 3rd base side and seems to have little balance on delivery.

And with this subject, what's everyone's opinion on pitching coach Derek Johnson? I really liked him early and the changes he's made for some guys, but why are we also having guys stagnate (Garrett) and decline? (Castillo, Gray) I'm fine giving him praise for getting Mahle straight, Disco last year and TeJay Antone. But to be fair we're having guys get worse and there seems to little changes.

There is no way Lodolo and Greene are coming up anytime soon. Suarez isn't getting benched. I'd pitch Garrett in longer outings in the middle innings, non leverage preferred. For instance, in yesterday's 11-1 win, I'd had tried to get him in for a couple of innings. He pitches to 3 or less batters nearly every outing. No way he gets any kind of rhythm. I'd also try to get him balanced better. he's falling way off to the 3rd base side and seems to have little balance on delivery.

And with this subject, what's everyone's opinion on pitching coach Derek Johnson? I really liked him early and the changes he's made for some guys, but why are we also having guys stagnate (Garrett) and decline? (Castillo, Gray) I'm fine giving him praise for getting Mahle straight, Disco last year and TeJay Antone. But to be fair we're having guys get worse and there seems to little changes.
I'd say coaches get too much credit when things go well, and too much blame when they go bad. DJ seems like he has done much more good than bad, because Sonny, Lorenzen and others have all benefited from his guidance.

Keep drinking that sangria ?
Facts:
- The Reds have played 52 games, out of 162. Thus 32% (roughly one-third) of their games have been played. That means two-thirds are left!
- Suarez has 12 HR despite hitting only .160.

Sangria sounds good. But I do not need to be sober to know that 12 times 3 = 36. It simply requires a 3rd grade education. It must be exhausting for you to be this consistently dense.

Facts:
- The Reds have played 52 games, out of 162. Thus 32% (roughly one-third) of their games have been played. That means two-thirds are left!

Sangria sounds good. But I do not need to be sober to know that 12 times 3 = 36. It simply requires a 3rd grade education. It must be exhausting for you to be this consistently dense.
Did you come up with this all by yourself ??

I'd say coaches get too much credit when things go well, and too much blame when they go bad. DJ seems like he has done much more good than bad, because Sonny, Lorenzen and others have all benefited from his guidance.
You seem to blame Price a lot, hypocrite

Facts:

Two reasons why Suarez will not be benched:
1. it's way too early. he's been a proven major league hitter for much longer than he's dropped below .200
2. He's making to much money to be benched. As much as we'd like to say "best man wins" and the guy who performs will play, that's simply not true in certain circumstances with the money involved.

Now, IMO hitting 35-40 home runs while hitting .160 does not make him a productive offensive player. The thing that clouds us with baseball is many of these guys are going to build statistics, just based on playing. I still feel batting average is an important statistic when evaluating players.

You seem to blame Price a lot, hypocrite
Wow. Price has been gone a few years, did you skip your meds again? I frequently call Bell "Ding-a-ling" and point out his mistakes in strategy. Because he makes a lot of them. I do it in wins and losses. Check my posts. And then go take your meds.

Wow. Price has been gone a few years, did you skip your meds again? I frequently call Bell "Ding-a-ling" and point out his mistakes in strategy. Because he makes a lot of them. I do it in wins and losses. Check my posts. And then go take your meds.
Has he? They all look the same to me ?

Amir Garrett is a human batting tee, the curse of the kneelers
It was painful watching Garrett get bombed last night, but at least Bell left him in there. Once it got to 8-3, it was over anyway. The exit velo on at least 5 of the balls hit off him were over 100 MPH. As Marty would say, he's not fooling anyone out there.

Rainout today already, onto St. Louis. At 6.5 out going into the series, we get swept and it's all over folks.

Gotta love a bullpen that turns a 4-3 deficit into 17-3.
I'm ok with a position player pitching....only occasionally. I think it's very classless and chips at the integrity of baseball when you have a staff of 12-13 pitchers. Now of course we can eliminate the 5 starters, so you're telling me you can't use 8 pitchers to cover a blowout game? For last night, once it got out of hand, only TeJay Antone would be held back if it was me.
Honestly, if I were a relief pitcher for the Reds, I would beg the manager to stay in the game. Take one for the team. There are no more 16-18 inning games anymore. Most if not all extra inning games are completed in 12 innings at the most, so you're not going to get stuck with no pitching the next day.

I'm ok with a position player pitching....only occasionally. I think it's very classless and chips at the integrity of baseball when you have a staff of 12-13 pitchers. Now of course we can eliminate the 5 starters, so you're telling me you can't use 8 pitchers to cover a blowout game? For last night, once it got out of hand, only TeJay Antone would be held back if it was me.
Honestly, if I were a relief pitcher for the Reds, I would beg the manager to stay in the game. Take one for the team. There are no more 16-18 inning games anymore. Most if not all extra inning games are completed in 12 innings at the most, so you're not going to get stuck with no pitching the next day.
The position player didn't do much worse the the regular relievers.

The position player didn't do much worse the the regular relievers.
Other than the grand slam. But there is something to be said for this. For some reason, Garret's ball has become very easy to hit. He's either tipping his pitches, or his ball is too straight. I remember at the end with Homer Bailey in Cincy it seems like his ball straightened out.

I agree that with 13 pitchers and 13 position players on the roster, it seems like we should run pitchers out to the mound, even in a blowout. There are guys in the pen getting 2-3 innings a week. And god knows some of them could use the practice.

As for guys getting hammered, it is pretty simple. Cowboy has talked about it quite a bit. If you have command of your different pitches, you can work the edges of the strike zone, in/out/up/down, and keep the hitter uncomfortable. If you lack command, you are either walking guys, or leaving pitches right over the middle, which MLB hitters will hit hard, even if it is 95+ mph.

Why is Miley having success, even at 88-90 mph? He is throwing all of his various pitches on the edges of the strike zone and really mixing it up, keeping the batters off balance.

I agree that with 13 pitchers and 13 position players on the roster, it seems like we should run pitchers out to the mound, even in a blowout. There are guys in the pen getting 2-3 innings a week. And god knows some of them could use the practice.

As for guys getting hammered, it is pretty simple. Cowboy has talked about it quite a bit. If you have command of your different pitches, you can work the edges of the strike zone, in/out/up/down, and keep the hitter uncomfortable. If you lack command, you are either walking guys, or leaving pitches right over the middle, which MLB hitters will hit hard, even if it is 95+ mph.

Why is Miley having success, even at 88-90 mph? He is throwing all of his various pitches on the edges of the strike zone and really mixing it up, keeping the batters off balance.
About half the bullpen never left Spring Training. Let them come in and given up 4 or 5 runs in a blowout instead of a close game to work out whatever their issues are.

I could talk about pitching for days. I think for alot of these guys now, they just rare back and throw as hard as they can, and have no idea on the location. You watch a game closely and see where the catcher sets up and often times pitchers will miss by 2-3 feet of the target. Major league pitchers shouldn't miss that badly.
Relief pitchers are starters who failed to be starters. Most only command a few pitches. They get by because they don't see batters 2-3 times a night. I just think today's pitchers are not pushed enough to throw more. These kids are on pitch counts from the time they are in little league through high school and college. The never build their arms up to be able to become a 100-125 pitch pitcher. That's not asking too much. Sonny Gray rarely throws over 80 pitches and he seems perfectly fine with it.

These kids are on pitch counts from the time they are in little league through high school and college. The never build their arms up to be able to become a 100-125 pitch pitcher. That's not asking too much. Sonny Gray rarely throws over 80 pitches and he seems perfectly fine with it.
God forbid we realized kids were blowing out their arms at unreal rates and decided health was more important that throwing 125 pitches a game and 300 innings a season. You're explained this time and time again yet don't understand. You still believe teams that drink water in practice are showing a sign of weakness.

God forbid we realized kids were blowing out their arms at unreal rates and decided health was more important that throwing 125 pitches a game and 300 innings a season. You're explained this time and time again yet don't understand. You still believe teams that drink water in practice are showing a sign of weakness.

Goodness knows I disagree with 14Red a lot; he rarely has facts on his side. But I think there are valid points in his argument, and also in your argument.

In my opinion, the primary difference in pitchers today versus "the good old days" even 10-20 years ago, is that today's pitchers go "max effort" on every pitch, because nothing is more important than velocity and spin rate in today's silly version of baseball. You can't get drafted if you aren't approaching mid-90's on the gun. That is why so many arm injuries occur in kids and young adult pitchers. The other day the telecast even made it a point to emphasize and glorify Sonny's loud grunting on every pitch.

I know I'm biased and may have shared the story about my son before. He was a pitcher who was lucky and good enough to pitch in college (D2) from 2011-2014. He was a big kid (6'4" / 230), a righty who topped out at 90 mph, good movement and location. But he never used max effort to throw. His college coach even yelled at him about it a few times, but he felt he lost control when he went all-out. Best comparison I could think of was Aaron Harang, big guy, not terribly athletic, free and easy 3/4 throwing motion. He pitched every spring, summer and fall from about age 10 through college. In the Ohio Collegiate wood bat league in the summers, he would frequently throw 110-130 pitches in 7-9 inning games, ice down, throw on the side two days later, and then pitch another game 2-3 days later. Zero arm issues. Zero interest from pro scouts, not enough velocity.

Last edited:
If Winker and Castellanos are not All-Star starters, there needs to be an investigation. I got my votes in, go to MLB.com and vote for those guys.