Week 10: West Jefferson (7-1) @ Coldwater (8-0)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ah! The roughriders. Long time no see. Coldwater is coming off of a slugfest victory with Fort Recovery 28-26 and West Jefferson manhandled Covington 55-20. Coldwater is 3-0 lifetime vs the Roughriders of Madison County. A chance for program victory # 599 is at stake for the Cavaliers. Best of luck to both teams.

Coldwater 42
West Jefferson 28

Tough game for WJ. Coldwater is the clear favorite and will score a lot of points but I don’t see this as a blowout.

34-24 CW

Calpreps prediction:

neutral field
[2020] Coldwater (OH) 38, [2020] West Jefferson (OH) 24
If that is remotely close it will be the closest game so far. The 3 that they have played, the least margin of victory was Coldwater by 22. Coldwater has won by 22, 25 and 32. (I know I’m telling you nothing you don’t already know.) I’m sticking with my Coldwater by 28 prediction

Last edited:
If that is remotely close it will be the closest game so far. The 3 that they have played, the least margin of victory was Coldwater by 22. Coldwater has won by 22, 25 and 32. (I know I’m telling you nothing you already don’t know.) I’m sticking with my Coldwater by 28 prediction
Makes no sense. Those CW teams aren't coming out of the locker room next Saturday night. Those glory years are gone .

Makes no sense. Those CW teams aren't coming out of the locker room next Saturday night. Those glory years are gone .
You are correct but look no further than the 2 common opponents (especially Anna.) I stated my reasoning in the other thread. Coldwater wins this one by just as much as previous games. Those 2 Anna teams were the same teams coming out of the locker room so were the 2 Triad teams. Hopefully that makes a little more sense to you

Last edited:
Coldwater by 3 scores!

Can WJ continue to win in the playoffs without a strong running game?

West Jeff's running back is averaging 126.5 yards per game throughout the playoffs; 7 yards per carry. And 114.2 since taking over as starter in week 4. I don't know what your definition of "strong" is, but for a team that is pass first, those numbers are pretty good, in my unedumacated opinion.

I think this game has the potential to be closer than everyone is thinking. Yes, Coldwater is going to score. But West Jeff's offense is pretty legit and their QB / receivers are all very good. I don't care what the Triad score or Anna score was, using "common opponent scores" has repeatedly proven to be the dumbest argument point when games are done. I think Coldwater wins, but I don't think West Jefferson comes out intimidated and they make it a game. Coldwater 42, West Jefferson 37

Stupid question, but is there anywhere on line we can watch this game for free? I know Mechanicsburg has a You Tube Channel and I didn't know if Coldwater had something like that?

Stupid question, but is there anywhere on line we can watch this game for free? I know Mechanicsburg has a You Tube Channel and I didn't know if Coldwater had something like that?
CW ha been streaming many home events and games for a few years now. For a few if live

Last edited:
This should be a good playoff game. I expect the Cavs to prevail but West Jeff producing enough offense to make it an entertaining football game. The difference very well may be the ability of the CW DLine to get pressure up front. I'll go with:

Coldwater 35
West Jefferson 21

Nope. But we stream out games on the NFHS network site if you have a subscription to that.

MAC is 4 - 1 vs OHC so far in the playoffs, the 4 MAC wins all blowouts, the lone win for OHC was a WJ 1 pt. win over a not very good Anna team, WJ has given up at least 2 tds. every game since the opening game, not much defense by the Roughriders. Unless their is a deluge of rain this Sat., would not be surprised if CW put a running clock on WJ by the start of the 2nd half.

Would Coldwater be better served to move this game to like St. Marys? CW tends to rely on quickness and speed and in the past come playoff time when the games are on turf it seems like they ahve always stepped it up a notch.

West Jeff's running back is averaging 126.5 yards per game throughout the playoffs; 7 yards per carry. And 114.2 since taking over as starter in week 4. I don't know what your definition of "strong" is, but for a team that is pass first, those numbers are pretty good, in my unedumacated opinion.

I think this game has the potential to be closer than everyone is thinking. Yes, Coldwater is going to score. But West Jeff's offense is pretty legit and their QB / receivers are all very good. I don't care what the Triad score or Anna score was, using "common opponent scores" has repeatedly proven to be the dumbest argument point when games are done. I think Coldwater wins, but I don't think West Jefferson comes out intimidated and they make it a game. Coldwater 42, West Jefferson 37
If you’re not using common opponents then what are you basing this off of? A shot in the dark? At least I got some facts to go off of. Fact is Coldwater has won by at least 22 every game they have ever played. Facts are Coldwater is the better team. Facts are they have played 2 common opponents that Coldwater has beaten by a wider margin than WJ. If WJ or Coldwater was 0-8 would you be picking the one that was? No, you base it off past performance. I guess if they play 100 times and you take enough shots in the dark you’ll be right eventually but not this time. 42-14 Coldwater

Last edited:

Sounds like CW will be going up against a vaunted running attack and RB that they have not seen in years. Also, throw in WJ's QB/receivers who are all very good then I think that spells doom for the Cavs. Sounds like their AD should put out feelers whom they can schedule next week to finish out the season.

Goodluck to WJ in the quest for their fifth title. Mechanicsburg and Arcbhold will be tough outs moving forward.

Sounds like CW will be going up against a vaunted running attack and RB that they have not seen in years. Also, throw in WJ's QB/receivers who are all very good then I think that spells doom for the Cavs. Sounds like their AD should put out feelers whom they can schedule next week to finish out the season.

Goodluck to WJ in the quest for their fifth title. Mechanicsburg and Arcbhold will be tough outs moving forward.

Yeah, that's what I said. Totally.

Would Coldwater be better served to move this game to like St. Marys? CW tends to rely on quickness and speed and in the past come playoff time when the games are on turf it seems like they ahve always stepped it up a notch.
I wouldn't. But if it rains during the week, we might not have a choice. Itd be nice if we had turf.

Nope. But we stream out games on the NFHS network site if you have a subscription to that.
Thanks... I'll be watching the Buckeyes hopefully beating State Penn but if that goes south, I can use this as a distraction. Don't know why, I don't see WJ winning this one based on our past track record with Coldwater.

That “vaunted running attack and RB“ and the QB/receivers sure gave Anna fits. Not sure any team in the state can handle it lol

A MAC poster said that if you read up. I simply was saying that West Jeff’s running game wasn’t as bad as a previous poster made it sound - and following it up with stats. But I also said I thought the game would be close, so MAC posters took offense to it and CNN’d their rhetoric into my comment.